Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FrozenVent posted:

The place I work at would be way more efficient if everyone retired at forty. We've got a bunch of old timers who will not accept change because... gently caress if I know.

Hence why in 2016 I have million dollar processes that involve scissors and scotch tape, and why a WordPerfect template still has an impact on our business processes.

What field are you in? It doesn't sound like a law firm, but those are the only places I'm aware of that still use WordPerfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We don't use WordPerfect anymore, but one of our documentation process still outputs to a WordPerfect template that was somehow converted to MS Word in the late nineties.

The same person who champions that also pulled out a twenty year old ex-lotus spreadsheet to manually do something our system does automatically last week.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Maybe the olds wouldn't be working anymore if their kids didn't have to live with them and were paid a decent wage that allowed them to buy a house/pay a reasonable rent and get this, afford to pay their student loans.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cacafuego posted:

Maybe the olds wouldn't be working anymore if their kids didn't have to live with them and were paid a decent wage that allowed them to buy a house/pay a reasonable rent and get this, afford to pay their student loans.

I would love for all old people to have a decent retirement. We just need the right policies to make it work. Everyone retire at 40? Sounds like a great idea.

Maybe I'll get around to the guy who hates his cubicle job. I sympathize with you. The overwhelming majority of people spend most of their lives at work and it's the most autocratic area in our society. There needs to be more democracy in work, its one of the most fundamental challenges we face.

But I don't buy into this rightwing fantasy MMM pushes. Most Americans are too busy spending money to educate their kids and dealing with the cost of healthcare to save for the future. Unless you're MMM who collects hundreds of thousands of dollars of disposable income from his blog, you'll never save enough to retire. Most retirement plans are more psychological than anything else. Unless you are very wealthy they'll last you a few years and with one or two downturns in the economy you can kiss them goodbye. That's why SS is so important. Like most Americans I'm relying completely on SS for retirement.

I love how people like MMM and these other FI bloggers want working folks to save money they don't have. If you want them to then support policies for higher wages.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Confounding Factor posted:

But I don't buy into this rightwing fantasy MMM pushes. Most Americans are too busy spending money to educate their kids and dealing with the cost of healthcare to save for the future. Unless you're MMM who collects hundreds of thousands of dollars of disposable income from his blog, you'll never save enough to retire.

Most people over in the early retirement forums seem to be professional corporate types who spend 20 or 30 years living 20-50% below their means in order to retire in their late 40's/50's. I'm not sure what you think it takes to retire early, but the majority of people who accomplish it seem do it by spending less than they earn for multiple decades until they finally feel comfortable enough finally to quit the job they have hated for a long time.

Personally I think MMM is kind of a douche for other reasons (the one specific thing I can think of is some post about how he wasn't going to pay for braces for his kids), so I'm not saying this out of some weird white knighting of him or anything.

One specific thing you said was

Most retirement plans are more psychological than anything else. Unless you are very wealthy they'll last you a few years and with one or two downturns in the economy you can kiss them goodbye. That's why SS is so important. Like most Americans I'm relying completely on SS for retirement.

To me, this kind of thinking is like the weird anti vaccine crap that exists on the far left. On the one hand, you rage about rich people for avoiding taxes and screwing society, but on the other hand you scoff at the most commonly available way for the common man to dip his toe into the tax-avoiding water.

The 401k, especially with the general shift in the industry to simpler and lower-fee options, is by far the best way for the average worker to amass enough money to retire early, or at all. Someone who works for 30 years, maxes out their 401k each year, and invests it in a reasonable way will probably have around a million dollars at the end, which is enough to buy an annuity that pays $4,000 per month until they die even in today's low interest environment.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I would love for all old people to have a decent retirement. We just need the right policies to make it work. Everyone retire at 40? Sounds like a great idea.

Maybe I'll get around to the guy who hates his cubicle job. I sympathize with you. The overwhelming majority of people spend most of their lives at work and it's the most autocratic area in our society. There needs to be more democracy in work, its one of the most fundamental challenges we face.

But I don't buy into this rightwing fantasy MMM pushes. Most Americans are too busy spending money to educate their kids and dealing with the cost of healthcare to save for the future. Unless you're MMM who collects hundreds of thousands of dollars of disposable income from his blog, you'll never save enough to retire. Most retirement plans are more psychological than anything else. Unless you are very wealthy they'll last you a few years and with one or two downturns in the economy you can kiss them goodbye. That's why SS is so important. Like most Americans I'm relying completely on SS for retirement.

I love how people like MMM and these other FI bloggers want working folks to save money they don't have. If you want them to then support policies for higher wages.

Is your position that the typical American has literally zero discretionary spending that they could cut? Cable, two-cars-drive-everywhere, fast food/restaurant lunches, alcohol, gym memberships, ...?

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Most retirement plans are more psychological than anything else. Unless you are very wealthy they'll last you a few years and with one or two downturns in the economy you can kiss them goodbye. That's why SS is so important. Like most Americans I'm relying completely on SS for retirement.

So are you talking in general terms or about yourself? Because you're a lovely situation because you did like a million things wrong, not because it isn't possible for real people to save for retirement. The statement above is especially ridiculous.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Consider Bob, the world's worst market timer. In this thought experiment, Bob has a modest (though probably above American mean...due to the fact that Americans waste a lot of money!) savings rate and invests only at the worst possible time. Nevertheless, Bob amasses a portfolio that will spit out ~$40,000/year, a number that means the recipient should not be dependent on Social Security at all. Even if you cut the savings rate in half, Bob still has a substantial six figure portfolio at the end of a 40 year career (even with his terrible market timing!).

To say that only extremely wealthy Americans can build healthy retirement portfolios is to demonstrate an ignorance of basic investment math.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

[all numbers adjusted for inflation]

If you invest $750/month (17% of the US median household income of $52,000, extremely doable) for 35 years (conservative estimate of working career based on US norms) and earn 3% annual return after inflation (conservative projection), you will end up with $600,000. This gives a safe withdrawal rate of $2,000/month. Maybe enough to live on comfortably by itself, maybe enough to make some supplemental Social Security really desirable, but definitely enough that you won't be dependent on Social Security.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

potatoducks posted:

So are you talking in general terms or about yourself? Because you're a lovely situation because you did like a million things wrong, not because it isn't possible for real people to save for retirement. The statement above is especially ridiculous.

This is an excellent point - I just reread his main thread post.

quote:

Just a quick background on who I am. I'm a male about to turn 30 next year that works a boring office job in southwest PA which brings me a net income (after taxes, benefits) of $28,843.56. I grew up in a low income family where money was often short and compared to most that post here I am by all measures very uneducated. I barely graduated high school and practically absent from the two years I "went" to university. After that I worked retail and then the financial crisis of '08 occurred which cut my working hours to 10. I was living with my girlfriend at the time and I contributed to paying a small amount in rent, and since I couldn't become full-time at my current employer, my anxiety and pressure of lack of income spurred me to look for another job. Due to extreme luck in '09 I was able to secure a full time job working out of a call center for a bank making $15/hr. Unfortunately, as over the moon I was by the news, my relationship was over and I had to start living on my own. Found a nice 1 bedroom apartment 5 minutes away from my new job but with such an increase in income I started to live beyond my means. It got to the point I was living paycheck to paycheck, because I had been spending money like water and opening up new credit card accounts to keep up. My motto was get it now and pay later. During this spendthrift period I was single and enjoying my 20s but then I got into a serious relationship which forced me to confront my financial woes. At the time it was around ~15k but now that I was living with my girlfriend we could split costs which freed up some money to put into savings or cut down some of the debt. She was also in a bit of debt herself and like me didn't have a clue on what a budget consisted of. So I tried to create a "budget" except I didn't account for each dollar I was making, I just outlined what my bills where and anything leftover I could spend as needed. It never occurred to me to set aside money for an emergency, I thought hey we are young, healthy, what could go wrong? But there were a lot of unforeseen expenses I didn't consider, which I should have, like automotive repair and maintenance, healthcare and dental costs, the other odd annual expenses and so on. And for expenses that were needed and if I didn't have the cash they would be paid for on credit. But like me, she was a compulsive shopper, enjoyed eating at restaurants and take out, etc. There was a point we were spending around $600/mo just from eating, that's grocery shopping and eating out combined. I moved to another state (from CO to PA) a few years ago due to a job promotion, and a lot of poo poo went wrong with that (some of which I explain below). Anyway we were together for 5 years and split earlier this year, but now that I'm almost 30 I have to get serious if I want a family or not but now that I've accumulated around ~30k in debt, I think that is an unfair burden upon anyone else. It's also the reason why I am very hesitant to get involved in a relationship until I take care of my debt, I know it would be a burden. I didn't cover how I accrued that much debt but its a combination of expenses, consumption, necessities, and general carelessness. I had this idea that I could get what I wanted now and just make payments over time, obviously this is enormously stupid and learning more about credit cards in general just makes my decisions that much more foolish.

Why would you expect to be in a position to think about early retirement, after spending your life until the age of 30 this irresponsibly? It seems like the main lesson you have learned is "if only I made more money for doing the same stuff everything would be OK".

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so the answer is middle class sensibilities with regard to responsibility. Rather than seeing the lack of money folks have due to decades of shock capitalism and offshoring jobs. Do you think working people would turn down money, if given to them, just so they can spend more responsibly? It's like how poor people are blamed for their poverty in this country. It's so thoroughly ingrained in middle class Americans to moralize poverty/wealth rather than seeing when capitalism fails them.

Oh and after housing, utilities, food, clothing, healthcare most Americans have already spent 98% of their income and if necessary took on debt to cover expenses. The middle class, *ahem* responsible middle class, carries enough to debt to probably bail out a hundred Greeces. Can you blame them? The problem is lack of money not responsibility. They have nothing to cut back on or asking them to save money they don't have is ridiculous.

So give them money. Problem solved. There's lots of ways you can give it without any strings attached. But we aren't going to do that because the idea is if you are poor you are lazy and stupid right? Heaven forbid Melania Trump can't spend thousands at a nail salon because who wants a society where folks can live in dignity and explore their talents? So let's punish the poor for their "bad choices" and not acknowledge their lack of options. There was a guy on E/N who wound up homeless in Florida, should we call him a failure and point out the bad choices he made? That's obscene.

As to my own situation, I took the advice that was given here and trying to get debt relief. It bears repeating that I am extremely grateful and thankful to all the advice that was given to me. At the time I had posted it, I felt it was necessary to be open and honest in the hope that the advice I received, if any, would be specific and applicable to my situation. I've lurked on this subforum sparingly over the years and I remember users getting great feedback and results. Maybe I shouldn't have disclosed those personal details. Either way I'm not sure how that is relevant to this discussion. The issue is how divorced from reality MMM's advice is to the vast majority of Americans and how that intersects with the failures of capitalism and its discontents. The data is clear though, 3/4 of us are going to be completely dependent on SS. And what's wrong with that? As an old man I won't have lots of education and medical bills, or raising kids or paying a mortgage. That's the beauty of retirement and Medicare. I'll be fine without a 401k.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Just giving people money isn't going to solve anything. People will just spend all of it and then be in a worse position than before. It's why lottery winners often end up bankrupt and say it's the worst thing that happened to them and why the BWM thread is full of people who blow unexpected windfalls in a short period of time.

More money + the same financial habits and attitude = more debt.

That's where MMM's ideas and attitude come in handy. Yeah, not that many people will be able to retire at 35, but a lot of his posts are an attitude shift away from consumerism, to think about the long term implications of your decisions rather than your short term wants. Also, thinking beyond yourself and considering the impact you have on the planet and on other people.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
This thread took a dark turn.

I'm 32, with only 6k in retirement accounts. I can't imagine making it to retirement and relying on social security though.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 31, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Unless you're MMM who collects hundreds of thousands of dollars of disposable income from his blog, you'll never save enough to retire.
Again with the misinformation. He retired before his blog existed.

Just because you made a bunch of poor decisions doesn't mean someone else is a douche for pointing out that Americans that are middle class or higher on the economic spectrum can usually cut a lot of waste and become more financially secure by paying close attention to their financial decisions. Yes, poor and working-class Americans have less to take from such a blog, but since when is it a requirement that a blog's advice must be universally applicable? Even if it only applies to white-collar professionals that's tens of millions of people.

edit: also :lol: at the idea that MMM is 'right wing'. Yeah the guy talking about biking everywhere, being a good steward of the environment/worrying about climate change is a total right-winger because he talks about personal responsibility. What exactly would a personal finance blog that didn't talk about personal responsibility look like?

Confounding Blog posted:

Don't bother saving money or avoiding debt, we're all screwed in the end because of the 1% anyway.

Fin.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 31, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
:stare:

Freedom is scary, guys. How dare a guy suggest that I can control my thoughts and desires and do a little math to make my life better. THINK OF THE POORS/CHILDREN/RICH/ECONOMY. I'm thinking of anything but my own power and control!

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I don't think anyone in their right mind in BFC would argue that economic exploitation and the oppressive nature of American capitalism makes it harder for the average middle class or lower earner to retire well, much less early.

However, having a philosophy of living within and below your means is something that should be nurtured regardless of income. While I can imagine someone making $50k a year struggling to save $750 a month if they have a family or crappy health insurance, striving to do so is better than giving up and financing lifestyle purchases like new furniture or a nicer car than they could otherwise afford.

Kids complicate things a lot because the urge to give them a "good" lifestyle is nigh overwhelming, but I don't think MMM is wrong to try and help people understand that debt is SCARY and saving is IMPORTANT even if early retirement isn't feasible.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Mocking Bird posted:

economic exploitation and the oppressive nature of American capitalism

D&D is leaking in to one of the few subforums I still visit. :jerkbag:

Make good decisions, y'all.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I mean, I'm a social worker who works with the impoverished :shobon: Things like medical debt and penalties to the poor and working class on bank accounts and utilities and a lack of social safety net really do put the bottom quartile in a really bad position to use their bootstraps.

What I'm saying is, even in those situations, it's still a good philosophy to try and live within your means and save as much as you can, despite the factors working against you.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

On one hand, he's not wrong. The system is designed to make people give their money to other people. Sometimes it's legit exploitation.

On the other hand, this guy went 30k into consumer debt because he made bad decisions compounded by a lack of income.

On the other other hand, creating a generation of wage-slaves (no matter how they got there) is a really stupid thing to do.

On the other^3 hand, this guy maybe doesn't seem to appreciate that his own actions played a significant part in his current life situation, and his lack of remorse and overall clamor for handouts is distasteful.

On the other^4 hand, giving people who LOVE to spend money is a great way to stimulate the economy, so maybe handouts to spendy idiots isn't such a bad thing. To put a cherry on top, this fiscal stimulus is essentially what we're doing now except in the form of 1% loans to bankers. Trickle-down didn't work for taxation and it probably doesn't work with government stimulus either.

tl;dr don't read this

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Moneyball posted:

D&D is leaking in to one of the few subforums I still visit. :jerkbag:

Isn't cognizance of macroeconomic trends an advantage?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

DNK posted:

stimulate the economy

This is where I start to have problems with things.

The way I see it, there are two goals of the economy, while there should only be one. The only valid one should be to produce goods and services of legitimate value that improve the lives of the people participating in the system. The second goal that seems stupid to me is just to keep people working and money changing hands at all costs.

When the second goal is achieved it does make the first goal more likely, in the same way that the Infinite Monkey Theorem states that an infinite amount of monkeys typing on an infinite amount of typewriters would logically eventually produce the entire works of Shakespeare.

I, for one, do not wish to be one of those monkeys for the rest of my life. I think as we progress further as a civilization there's more and more pointless work being done that simply does not need to be done because it isn't actually helping anyone.

But as already stated, I'm glad there's people who do want to do these things, because much of the work is actually beneficial, primarily in the sense that as the wealthier the 1st world gets, the likelier we are to help the 3rd world (as slow as the progress may seem).

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
In other news, I've not eaten out for lunch for a month now:fork:! Sure, this means that I've had oatmeal (prepared in the micro no less!), yogurt and fruit salad for lunch on days when dinner did not suffice for a lunch box, but the amount of money not spent on stuffing my face with take out is stupid large. :feelsgood:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Potrzebie posted:

In other news, I've not eaten out for lunch for a month now:fork:! Sure, this means that I've had oatmeal (prepared in the micro no less!), yogurt and fruit salad for lunch on days when dinner did not suffice for a lunch box, but the amount of money not spent on stuffing my face with take out is stupid large. :feelsgood:

Sometimes I buy candy from the vending machine at work for $2 and eat it with the utmost shame.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mocking Bird posted:

I don't think anyone in their right mind in BFC would argue that economic exploitation and the oppressive nature of American capitalism makes it harder for the average middle class or lower earner to retire well, much less early.

However, having a philosophy of living within and below your means is something that should be nurtured regardless of income. While I can imagine someone making $50k a year struggling to save $750 a month if they have a family or crappy health insurance, striving to do so is better than giving up and financing lifestyle purchases like new furniture or a nicer car than they could otherwise afford.

Kids complicate things a lot because the urge to give them a "good" lifestyle is nigh overwhelming, but I don't think MMM is wrong to try and help people understand that debt is SCARY and saving is IMPORTANT even if early retirement isn't feasible.

But most people get into debt because of medical bills not because they are "financing lifestyle purchases" like a snowmobile or motorcycle. It's still the #1 cause of individual bankruptcy and makes the majority of them. The second is college tuition for kids paid by their parents. Nowhere do "lifestyle purchases" appear in the statistics. Look at the studies. Every one of them show most bankruptcies are medical payments, not credit card debt.

What happens is working people, living on the margins of default and homelessness (90% of the population), get a big medical bill or their kid gets accepted into college but doesn't have money for tuition or their only means of transportation breaks down and they desperately need a new car to get to work. So they use whatever cash and resources they have to pay these bills and then charge ordinary living expenses they can put on credit or a cash advance.

That's a result of wage suppression like outsourcing. People who do have enough resources, which that number is falling, don't use credit cards like that. So again can you blame working people who pay their medical or school bills using only credit available to them in a last ditch attempt to keep themselves from drowning? If push comes to shove you'd do the same.

So stop blaming hard working people for trying to survive and prosper with all the odds stacked against them.

This "living beyond your means" means nothing when you really look into it and see what causes people to get into debt: medical bills. Not because they bought they newest high end TV. If you take the number of all the debt we suffer from, the number of TVs working people would have bought to cause such debt would come close to 5-6 trillion TVs.

Every single study shows wages have either declined or remained stagnant over the past 10 years. The standard of living is lower and it was made up for it by debt (buying food, housing, education). But in our society, paying for our health, housing and education is "living beyond our means" so perhaps its time to get a new economic system to where it isn't and redefines what "living" means. And yes the data clearly shows 90% of consumer expenditures go to housing, transportation costs, food and healthcare. No working person has enough money to buy luxury goods that resulted in the huge debt we see. But even those figures are skewed by higher income brackets who probably spend more on entertainment and electronics than lower incomes

But if we took that statement seriously the irony is our economic ethos wants consumers to consume more and more. Corps spend billions to encourage it. Our economy relies on it. We are a debt society but that is a function of stagnant and declining wages than poors being wasteful. If we had higher wages there would be less debt. But the blaming continues against working people who live too high on the hog like school teachers and auto mechanics who just buy too many snowmobiles. No it can't be the fault of the wealthy accumulating vast wealth over a decade.

So I don't know how you can expect working people to save, with what money? Again the vast majority of us have less than ~$10k in retirement accounts. Most of us are going to depend on SS to retire. What's wrong with that?

Sorry the ownership society that gets plugged by the likes of MMM is a fantasy. Extolling the values of personal responsibility, as if working people have any internal locus of control of their own life (they don't) makes zero sense when shown the facts.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Look at the studies. Every one of them show most bankruptcies are medical payments, not credit card debt.

Aren't you literally declaring bankruptcy right now because you are $40k in debt, of which $7k is student loans and $0 is medical debt?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
You're talking past the pro-MMM crowd. We all agree that poo poo is hosed up and that it would be lovely to change and it's good and cool to do what you can to make that change.

The frugality people argue that you can often go without nearly everything* – and should, to fight your own wage slavery (which is the only wage slavery you can control), which is true regardless of your SES. Whether you make 35k or 350k you just shouldn't compulsively buy eight dollar coffees, and lol if you think only the latter sorts of people are buying those coffees. If you cut the crap, you can save a significant amount of money that helps you become more independent whoever you are. If there is no crap then cool, nobody's talking poo poo about your lifestyle.

And while we agree, many are disillusioned with the system and think that the only way to change is to be conscious and frugal and share that with others.

*you need food and shelter and something that pays for food and shelter and a way to get there. It's true that it's not fair that it's hard for some and not others, but that's an entirely different issue. You don't need restaurants or coffee shops or a new car and if you decide to spend money on those things it should be a conscious, prioritized expense that doesn't hurt your freedom.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's weird to respond to a guy giving advice to individuals as if he's setting economic policy. You can describe what an individual has to do to retire in our society without advocating policies that maintain the status quo. You're clearly angry at the system and you're right it's hosed up but it's not fair to blame MMM when all he's done is describe it as it already exists. "Cutting down on unnecessary expenses will help you retire" is not at all unfair advice to anyone even if it's not a magic bullet that will fix our nation's economic policy.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Consumerism entails overspending. Inasmuch as overspending is a problem, "Consumerism is bullshit / Materialism is a con," is a good message.

Eat dry goods. Drink water. Develop free/cheap hobbies. In fact, this advixe is made all the more important by how hosed up and bullshit the economy is. Our culture is ever increasingly unaffordable. Adapt at your earliest convenience.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

What happens is working people, living on the margins of default and homelessness (90% of the population), get a big medical bill or their kid gets accepted into college but doesn't have money for tuition or their only means of transportation breaks down and they desperately need a new car to get to work. So they use whatever cash and resources they have to pay these bills and then charge ordinary living expenses they can put on credit or a cash advance.

Where are you getting this number o_O

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Extolling the values of personal responsibility, as if working people have any internal locus of control of their own life (they don't) makes zero sense when shown the facts.

You're right, personal responsibility is a pretty terrible value. One thing's for sure: society will definitely be a better place if people abandon all personal responsibility.

If we had higher wages there would be less debt.

Also, you conveniently ignored me before, but this isn't true. The majority of people increase spending with increased money rather than increase their savings. More money + same spending habits = more debt. Saving money requires conscious efforts and the ability to focus on the long term over instant gratification, which social psychology has repeatedly proven we are absolutely terrible at.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 1, 2016

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
When people constantly live on the brink of annihilation due to the purchases of large houses, SUVs, vacations, video games, cigarettes, and fast food on the regular, and then are suddenly are saddled with a huge medical bill, the aforementioned excessive spending is as much a part of the problem as the medical bill.

This is MMM 101 here. Your future self will hate or love your current self based on the amount of bullshit spending vs saving you do.

By most charts I'm a decade or two ahead of where most people are, despite having very little a few years ago. I'm beginning to love my past self.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
In some ways my divorced parents helped me learn frugality - they were basically goofus and gallant of sensible spending while earning similar amounts. I remember my dad was always willing to buy lots of stuff, had nice cars, etc. My mom always saved money, lived in a small old house, drove a honda. Now, decades later, one of them has a huge nest egg to retire to whenever, and the other still spends their whole check each month. Personal responsibility is a real thing you can have, it's genuinely virtuous, and I've now observed the consequences of having it vs not over many many years.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 1, 2016

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

pig slut lisa posted:

Where are you getting this number o_O

He lives in Bumfuck, Pennsylvania.

No denying that there are a lot of poor Americans but about 20% of families make over 100k which means plenty of fertile ground for a whole class of non contributing smug early retirees.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

So to summarize Confounding Factor's viewpoint....

quote:

if [MMM's] principles were ever adopted into a broad based policy it would be immoral and unsustainable.

If you end wealth inequality then the ideology it created will fade away, which include things like an early retirement

I firmly believe taking the wealth out of the hands of the rich and putting it into a productive economy is not only prudent but virtuous

Everyone retire at 40? Sounds like a great idea.

Do you think working people would turn down money, if given to them, just so they can spend more responsibly? [...] The problem is lack of money not responsibility. [...] So give them money. Problem solved.

I've never been after a career or had big career goals or ambition. [...] I really have nothing to go on skillset wise. I have nothing of any value in the marketplace.

The job in itself is very easy and there is little to no stress involved. Some days I can finish my work in an hour, others a few.

So I'd just like to say that sounds great! If I can have no skills, no ambition, work 1-3 hours a day and retire at 40 with more free money all while making a wage equal to the average of else in the United States, then sign me up!

I'm not trying to pick on you, so I will skip over the question of whether a society set up like you describe would actually be a good idea or not. The main point is, nothing like this is ever going to happen in your lifetime in the United States. If you want to live a successful and happy life, you have to do it in the confines of reality and learn to live in the society that's right in front of you. That means acquiring skills that people want to pay to you have, resisting the urge to buy every shiny thing you want, and personally learning to manage some boring aspects of your life (money, retirement, taxes) that you might not want to have to deal with.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I will be down with wealth distribution as soon as they invent a time machine so that I can go back to high school to study less and smoke out more.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

potatoducks posted:

I will be down with wealth distribution as soon as they invent a time machine so that I can go back to high school to study less and smoke out more.

FYGM, you can not have my smokes or crappy grades; I worked _hard_ for them!

Also, it's never to late! Start smoking and avoiding work at your place of employment today!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Don't smoke tobacco, that poo poo'll kill ya.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Cicero posted:

edit: also :lol: at the idea that MMM is 'right wing'. Yeah the guy talking about biking everywhere, being a good steward of the environment/worrying about climate change is a total right-winger because he talks about personal responsibility. What exactly would a personal finance blog that didn't talk about personal responsibility look like?

He's mentioned before that his blog is targeted at those who have enough to save, not those living hand to mouth. His advice makes no sense for the poor, in the same way that a standard workout guide makes no sense for the physically disabled. Doesn't mean the writer of the workout hates the disabled and thinks they should be able to follow his plan through sheer willpower. He's writing for people with decent incomes.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

For the people making six figures yet still struggling to keep the bills paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Moneyball posted:

For the people making six figures yet still struggling to keep the bills paid.

I imagine people that own Porsche Panameras are this variety of stupid. You'd have to be to buy that abomination and they only start at about 80k. I see them everywhere