Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Are... are the GOP idiots? Moving to impeach HRC would be a catastrophe for them, especially since around 1/2 the Senate, at least, will be Democrats who will just use the opportunity to rail against the GOP publicly for their petty partisanship.
On the one hand, yes they are. On the other hand, it means Hillary won't be able to make SCOTUS un-deadlocked, and they're probably hoping that the next justice to die will be liberal, so it'll just be 4-3 decisions in their favor instead of 4-4 ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Sky Shadowing posted:

Are... are the GOP idiots? Moving to impeach HRC would be a catastrophe for them, especially since around 1/2 the Senate, at least, will be Democrats who will just use the opportunity to rail against the GOP publicly for their petty partisanship.

hillary will sweep into office with a negative approval rating and the GOP is way better at working the media/public opinion than the democrats are, i'm not convinced it would backfire and neither will reverse court-packing

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Nessus posted:

On the one hand, yes they are. On the other hand, it means Hillary won't be able to make SCOTUS un-deadlocked, and they're probably hoping that the next justice to die will be liberal, so it'll just be 4-3 decisions in their favor instead of 4-4 ones.

It's not a bad assumption to make on their part. RBG is almost certainly going to be the next one to go.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I want Trollbama to make one last appearance on Jan 19th and give HRC a blanket amnesty for everything before that date.

I know it won't happen but the absolute white hot rage of the resulting GOP meltdown is still very nice to think about.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

:cripes:

"Alright folks, here's our plan for the government. Stop anything whatsoever from happening. Impeach our elected president literally the moment she gets into office. Never allow any democrat-appointed judge to exist, no matter who they are."

Why do these people win anything.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

James Cummy

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's like you guys are trying to make people start arzying.

It's working :(.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

TyrantWD posted:

They barely even cared about down ballot races until 10 days ago.

But enough about Trump's campaign-

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

suppose the gop successfully impeaches president clinton, but fails to get her actually removed from office
are they free to to just keep coming up with impeachment charges until one sticks?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TyrantWD posted:

The Clinton campaign has been running on fumes for a while now. They assumed that Trump would melt down repeatedly until election day, and that people find him scary enough that they don't have to do much other than stay out of his way while he makes mistakes.

They barely even cared about down ballot races until 10 days ago.

We are long overdue for a Trumpian meltdown and I expect at least one more before election day.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
My arzying is rising, but for better or worse, in one week, we'll all be sitting here (and in #poligoon) arzying together.

One more oppo dump would make me feel safe. Just one more.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

chumbler posted:

It's like you guys are trying to make people start arzying.

It's working :(.

Don't worry buddy, at lease anime will be great again.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Pastrymancy posted:

I will miss Joe Biden even though I realize that he has the essentially similar hawkish issues Clinton kinda has?

https://twitter.com/TheDemocrats/status/793604888869634048

Had a wide grin glued to my face the whole time.

Joe's such a hunk. :allears::swoon:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tom Guycot posted:

You should look up what the word redeem means. :v:

Yeah, that's why I said Cedar Point twice to make up for it. :v:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

AriadneThread posted:

suppose the gop successfully impeaches president clinton, but fails to get her actually removed from office
are they free to to just keep coming up with impeachment charges until one sticks?

Do you remember the obamacare votes? Expect Hillary to get impeached by the house every week for 8 years.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Apraxin posted:

Ron Johnson confirmed to a local paper that a GOP controlled Senate will mean endless motions to impeach the Guilty Traitor Clinton. Oh joy.

that was pretty much the expectation though

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Had a wide grin glued to my face the whole time.

Joe's such a hunk. :allears::swoon:

I think I saw here rumors of Joe as SoS.

Oh pleeeease

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Not trying to make a false equivalency here, but even if Clinton wins U.S. politics will still be in historically high levels of chaos and dysfunction

in other words, we should be numb to reality by now and not arzy out of indifference

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Tom Guycot posted:

Do you remember the obamacare votes? Expect Hillary to get impeached by the house every week for 8 years.

she needs to make it thorugh the first 4 years

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

So...they realize that a President is literally not allowed to pardon themselves because our founding fathers were not that dumb, right?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I can't believe the poo poo talking about Skyline chili in here.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

AriadneThread posted:

Indeed they are. Impeachment isn't criminal charges either, so it's questionable whether double jeopardy even applies.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

AriadneThread posted:

Yes. The House can impeach the President for any reason they want. It requires a supermajority in the Senate to actually remove the president from office, so that's not gonna happen with Hillary unless they find she actually did something really bad but the House is free to keep impeaching her repeatedly for her entire term of office, and I 100% expect this to happen because the Republican Party is the absolute worst.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Covok posted:

So...they realize that a President is literally not allowed to pardon themselves because our founding fathers were not that dumb, right?

Obviously not, since it's written on their board there.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

BlueBlazer posted:

I think I saw here rumors of Joe as SoS.

Oh pleeeease
You did, but unfortunately he later said he wasn't interested. :sigh:

Edit for source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/10/28/politico-joe-biden-clinton-secretary-of-state/92882402/

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Supremezero posted:

:cripes:

"Alright folks, here's our plan for the government. Stop anything whatsoever from happening. Impeach our elected president literally the moment she gets into office. Never allow any democrat-appointed judge to exist, no matter who they are."

Why do these people win anything.

Remember 2010?

There are Tea Party assholes who would love for nothing more than for their elected representative to mindlessly tear down Big Government at all costs, because it's all the same extravagant waste and spending they've been brainwashed into believing from their media narratives and local incubating political environment.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

chumbler posted:

i can't believe people in cincinnati call that poo poo chili

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The best way to stop arzying is to accept that the world will burn. Meteors, the sun exploding, the heat death of the universe, the universe expanding and collapsing, climate change, acidity levels of the oceans rising, bees dying, etc.

Some people want to watch the world burn. But I still voted for Hilary!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Mark Levin, mid-rant, posted:

Three things the Democrats have done: early voting - early voting. So rather than people actually turning out on election day, making somewhat of an effort, voting on that day and so forth... 'Ehh, maybe I'll vote today, maybe I won't vote today,' y'know. Early voting. For the lazy.

:allears:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Tom Guycot posted:

Tricky D posted:

Indeed they are. Impeachment aren't criminal charges either, so it's questionable whether double jeopardy even applies.

so they don't even have to keep coming up with different, increasingly petty reasons for impeachment? they could just vote on the same charge over and over?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

I want Trollbama to make one last appearance on Jan 19th and give HRC a blanket amnesty for everything before that date.

I know it won't happen but the absolute white hot rage of the resulting GOP meltdown is still very nice to think about.

Why? She doesn't need amnesty for anything

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

chumbler posted:

Skyline chili is garbage.

Also people on the internet always asked me if my name was like the car or the chili before I knew what either was and I was so confused.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

the ones that caused Nate Silver to increase Trump's chances to 30% from 15% in a week

do we like 538 here? I know he's less generous to Clinton than Princeton and NY Times and other predictors but still, we need look at data that accounts for "Brexit" level surprises

Brexit was a surprise to pundits, the polls didn't particularly miss.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

it would have been awesome if Trump was a Bernie-type populist who wanted to strengthen the New Deal and not destroy what's left of it

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I would love if the GOP impeached Clinton, she gracefully stepped down, and then we had President Kaine.

Because as long as he doesn't gently caress it up ( and he wouldn't ), he'd have

- a better approval rating then Hillary since he isn't Hillary

and

- a better approval rating then the GOP for the stunt they just pulled.

And then we'd get to watch the GOP clench up hard as they realize they just guaranteed the Presidency to the Dems for the next 8/16 years.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The best way to stop arzying is to accept that the world will burn. Meteors, the sun exploding, the heat death of the universe, the universe expanding and collapsing, climate change, acidity levels of the oceans rising, bees dying, etc.

Some people want to watch the world burn. But I still voted for Hilary!

The universe won't collapse. It's going to keep accelerating apart until all matter disintegrates.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

we need look at data that accounts for "Brexit" level surprises

So, data that assumes that the polls are 100% right.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Covok posted:

They - quite literally - believe that Hillary personally executed Vilerat and etc. and should be put in jail preemptively.

You might as well check whatever they're drinking for mercury and lead at this point.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

chumbler posted:

Skyline chili is loving foul and calling it chili is an affront to decency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
ok, so I'm trying to understand the senate race

Using the data from here:
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/senate/

Currently, the senate is 54 Republicans vs 46 Democrats & Independents

To have control of the senate, Democrats need to gain 4 seats in the current election that they didn't have before (assuming Hillary wins):

538 currently has Democrats definitely flipping seats in the following states:

Wisconsin
Illinois

They currently have an advantage , but are within MoE, in the following states:
Missouri
New Hampshire
Indiana
Pennsylvania

However, they are threatened to lose one senate seat they already held, even though they are up in the state:
Nevada

So currently, they're projected to gain 6 when they need 4, if they lose Nevada they have to gain 5.

That seems...still pretty feasible.

• Locked thread