Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is it a situation where I would be better served by just saying I'm sending home toys or something? I did that before when I was sending home a bunch of random stuff and my language sucks so I just said "Its manga" and they went right ahead and shipped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, best to not mention it. Just say souvenirs or whatever.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

"kitchen tools." you can add in some kawaii bento accessories for credibility.
It should be fine if they're new and in proper packaging. :ese:

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Me and a friend are going to be in Fukuoka for a day on the 7th. Anything of note happening there at that time to see and do, or not do? It's our first time there.

Also what's the best time in the morning to catch the shinkansen to avoid the crush? We're heading up to Osaka the next day and from past experiences even with reserved seats things can easily get booked out especially since it may be a limited stop train.

And no we're not getting the overnight bus because my friend finds it too uncomfortable and too darn long.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Stumbling Block posted:

Me and a friend are going to be in Fukuoka for a day on the 7th. Anything of note happening there at that time to see and do, or not do? It's our first time there.

Also what's the best time in the morning to catch the shinkansen to avoid the crush? We're heading up to Osaka the next day and from past experiences even with reserved seats things can easily get booked out especially since it may be a limited stop train.

And no we're not getting the overnight bus because my friend finds it too uncomfortable and too darn long.

Monday is generally a pretty boring day in Fukuoka so don't expect too much nightlife. If you like nature maybe you can go check out the castle ruins and then Ohori park. There are some museums in that area as well. There are a few shrines near downtown but not really amazing. If you feel like taking a day trip you can check out Dazaifu Tenmangu. For food/drinks I recommend hitting up Ninoni at 5 for their happy hour and then when you are done there you can go check out Mami-chan for a great Yatai experience.

As far as the train goes just head to Hakata station and look at the board to see which trains have reserved seating available. I don't see you having a hard time getting a reserved seat. Also, if you go to a ticket place you can get a ticket for about 10% less than regular price. If you go to the Chikushiguchi exit and take a right there will be a place on your left near the Bic Camera.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I'm heading to Sendai in two days. Any recommendations for things to see or do there? Gonna be in Sendai for 3 days before heading back to Akita again.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's close enough to Fukushima and radiation. Enjoy your food :v:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You'll enjoy it more if you just have a BIG CITY!!! trip instead of a UNIQUE SENDAI CULTURE!!! trip. Eat all the foreign food and shop at international chain stores.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
God drat, I really do live in the most boring region of Japan, don't I? :psyduck:
At least Sendai will be interesting for me as someone with a major in urbanism and urban planning, I guess?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Matsushima? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsushima

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if any of those robot battle games in the Taito arcades are available for home consoles? The one where you hold the two pistol controllers was really cool but I can't remember the name. The ps4 isn't region locked so it wouldn't matter if it's a japan only release.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Ned posted:

Monday is generally a pretty boring day in Fukuoka so don't expect too much nightlife. If you like nature maybe you can go check out the castle ruins and then Ohori park. There are some museums in that area as well. There are a few shrines near downtown but not really amazing. If you feel like taking a day trip you can check out Dazaifu Tenmangu. For food/drinks I recommend hitting up Ninoni at 5 for their happy hour and then when you are done there you can go check out Mami-chan for a great Yatai experience.

As far as the train goes just head to Hakata station and look at the board to see which trains have reserved seating available. I don't see you having a hard time getting a reserved seat. Also, if you go to a ticket place you can get a ticket for about 10% less than regular price. If you go to the Chikushiguchi exit and take a right there will be a place on your left near the Bic Camera.

Thanks for the suggestions Ned, looks great and sure as heck opened up more things to do than we originally did.
Yeah I had a feeling that being Monday it might not be the best time for it but that's just how the schedule fell and there wasn't much we can do about it.

The train seats thing probably is just a case of being cautious on my part, but then again the last time I had to catch one from Hiroshima to Osaka I had problems with booked out carriages and I wasn't too keen on standing for the 2-3 hours + in the unreserved section. And that was on a weekday with no public holiday in sight.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

hot sauce posted:

Does anyone know if any of those robot battle games in the Taito arcades are available for home consoles? The one where you hold the two pistol controllers was really cool but I can't remember the name. The ps4 isn't region locked so it wouldn't matter if it's a japan only release.

just buy the arcade board in akihabara like I did with dodonpachi 2 weeks ago. on a completely unrelated note it's been interesting experiencing japan as a poor person. did you know you can sleep in manga cafes

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

When I was last in Japan I spent way too long in arcades and the one that got me fascinated me most was some battle card game that had a stylus as the controller. It was way too involved for someone with little to no Japanese knowledge, but it seemed like the most popular thing by a long shot as every cabinet was always filled. I'd love it if more of that weird specialized stuff got out of Japan but I don't think the market exists anywhere outside of Asia. I could probably plan a whole trip bumming around arcades.

I think I spent at least one day of my trip just playing Gundam Extreme :smith:

d0s posted:

just buy the arcade board in akihabara like I did with dodonpachi 2 weeks ago. on a completely unrelated note it's been interesting experiencing japan as a poor person. did you know you can sleep in manga cafes

I know a guy here in China who basically lived in a net cafe for a year he was unemployed after college because it was the cheapest place he could find and he was too embarrassed to go home and tell his parents he didn't have a job. The net cafe also had a bunch of KOF 97 machines and what income he did get was from money matches on it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

I could probably plan a whole trip bumming around arcades.

This is pretty much what I'm doing, though I'm only into the older stuff which is getting harder to find. So far I've been to:

Hey - tokyo
Try - tokyo
ebisen - tokyo
a cho - kyoto
sega avion - osaka
taito station (the good one in denden town proper) - osaka

I like try the best so far because the game selection on the 8th floor is like catered to my exact interests while being super chill unlike hey which has similar stuff but is super rowdy and packed. a cho in kyoto was a nice place too and saved me from a lot of boredom (travelling with a friend who is big into shrines n' temples)

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

hot sauce posted:

Gunslinger Stratos (2)? No home release as far as I'm aware. These days, with the exception of fighting games, most arcade games don't get seem to get home console releases.

d0s posted:

This is pretty much what I'm doing, though I'm only into the older stuff which is getting harder to find. So far I've been to:

Hey - tokyo
Try - tokyo
ebisen - tokyo
a cho - kyoto
sega avion - osaka
taito station (the good one in denden town proper) - osaka

Will you be spending any more time in Tokyo this trip? If so, you'd probably like Mikado in Takadanobaba. Warehouse down in Kawasaki also has a good selection of retro titles, including a Street Fighter (1) machine with the pressure sensitive buttons. Game Park (Rumble Plaza) in Ikebukuro isn't bad too.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 4, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

DiscoJ posted:

Will you be spending any more time in Tokyo this trip? If so, you'd probably like Mikado in Takadanobaba. Warehouse down in Kawasaki also has a good selection of retro titles, including a Street Fighter (1) machine with the pressure sensitive buttons. Game Park (Rumble Plaza) in Ikebukuro isn't bad too.

pretty sure I considered most of those but I'm not that into fighters, more into shooters/other types of action games so idk how much those places have to offer me, if you think any would be good for that i'll definitely check it out

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

d0s posted:

pretty sure I considered most of those but I'm not that into fighters, more into shooters/other types of action games so idk how much those places have to offer me, if you think any would be good for that i'll definitely check it out

Mikado is worth a visit for sure. It is most famous for fighters, but they are mostly concentrated on its second floor. The first floor and the second floor around the stairs is similar to the retro parts Try and Hey.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
The Warehouse in Kawasaki is worth a visit simply because of the insane interior design: The first two floors are modelled after the infamous Kowloon Walled City.

I was there on Sunday and though the part that is completely done in this style is mostly just one wall, it's pretty well done.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

DiscoJ posted:

Mikado is worth a visit for sure. It is most famous for fighters, but they are mostly concentrated on its second floor. The first floor and the second floor around the stairs is similar to the retro parts Try and Hey.

cool, I'll go check it out now!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just tried to look at the IC card compatibility chart and my brain exploded so, is there a card I can pick up in Osaka that works in Kyoto and Tokyo as well? Does it work on all subways/local trains/buses? I've only heard of Suica but that looks to be Kanto only and I'm not getting to Tokyo until the end of the trip.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Typing of the Dead is the best arcade game

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I just tried to look at the IC card compatibility chart and my brain exploded so, is there a card I can pick up in Osaka that works in Kyoto and Tokyo as well? Does it work on all subways/local trains/buses? I've only heard of Suica but that looks to be Kanto only and I'm not getting to Tokyo until the end of the trip.

In general, all cards are compatible with each other and you can use any one of them all over Japan across different transportation companies. As a tourist, the only thing to keep in mind is that you can only return a card (to get back the deposit and any charge left on it) in the area it "belongs" to - so Tokyo for Suica etc.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

You're looking at outdated info; a few years back they finally unified them.

Now the IC cards work well all over, much like the address system.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

just came back from mikado, it was a really cool place. personally try is still my favorite because it has a few relatively unknown games that I love and never thought I'd get to play in an arcade/havent seen anywhere else, I commented to friends that it's like the owner has been reading my twitter feed and set up every weird rear end old game I rave about.

that said mikado definitely has more genre variety and a whole bunch of classic arcade games that had special cabinets (outrun, space harrier etc) and is on the whole a much more inviting place if you like old arcade stuff but want a fun place that's more than just rows of otaku at candy cabs (and isn't an utter madhouse like HEY). tons of stuff that you'll remember from US arcades if you grew up during those times. the players there are top notch too, I watched a girl absolutely destroying battle garegga while absentmindedly checking her phone and a really skilled dude clearing DDP, great experience.

I really wish I could check out that kowloon themed place but we go back to the US day after tomorrow and just don't have the time to go there from kanda :(

d0s fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 4, 2016

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DiscoJ posted:

Gunslinger Stratos (2)? No home release as far as I'm aware. These days, with the exception of fighting games, most arcade games don't get seem to get home console releases.

Yep, that was the one. I wish there was an arcade scene in the US. I've seen "bar-cades" becoming popular but nothing with modern multiplayer games.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

even for old game fans barcades (at least the ones in nyc metro area) are terrible. everything is half broken and they get like fire hazard packed full of a really touristy/weird crowd. I really wish there was still any sort of normal arcade scene in the US apart from california

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

LimburgLimbo posted:

You're looking at outdated info; a few years back they finally unified them.

Now the IC cards work well all over, much like the address system.

except buses/eidens in smaller cities

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ntan1 posted:

except buses/eidens in smaller cities

Yeah there's actually exceptions all over like places where the tickets are still only taken by a human etc. But that's out in the country enough that a tourist isn't likely to go.

But insofar as I know all the IC cards are unified.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah there's actually exceptions all over like places where the tickets are still only taken by a human etc. But that's out in the country enough that a tourist isn't likely to go.

But insofar as I know all the IC cards are unified.

nah, pretty sure there are still exceptions in popular tourist destinations, like the streetcars in hiroshima accept some regional ic cards but not suica unless they've changed that very recently. same thing in kanazawa iirc

i'd love to be wrong though, more unification would be great

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like how decrepit 70's and 80's hotels in Japan often still have old timey arcades in their basements with cabinets that they never switched out. It's always a surprise what games you can find there. Last time I was at a place like that in Ito I had to ask reception if they could switch the power on so I could play for a bit.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Game Center CX recently did a SHIKOKU 88 PILGRIMAGE of old game machines. Udon vending machines were ok if they pushed all the buttons at once so they didn't know which type would come out.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I'm heading to Japan for work for most of December. I'm on assignment as a reporter and would like to actually interact with the locals whenever possible.
I'll be in formal-ish meetings around Tokyo and will have an interpreter with me until December 23. After that, I'm on my own until New Year's Day, flying out on the second.

I'm planning to get a shinkansen pass.

My questions are:
What are good places to go/ things to do over the Christmas/New Year's holidays in Japan?

What are people's experiences with AirBNB? I've heard mixed things

Anyone want to meet up?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
How much traveling will you actually be doing on the shinkansen? It's actually not that great of a deal if you're not traveling quite a bit.

For New Year's, most people go home so everything ends up being pretty quiet.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If it's your first/only Japan trip then you ought to see Kyoto but December is cold so I'd probably peace out to SE Asia (everyone else also wants to do this but most work until December 28th.)

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle

totalnewbie posted:

How much traveling will you actually be doing on the shinkansen? It's actually not that great of a deal if you're not traveling quite a bit

Just to second this, I've never had the cost of the JR Rail Pass work out - you gotta do a fair number of trips in a short amount of time to make it even break even.

There's a cool website where you can put in your itinerary and it tells you out of all the passes (including JR Railpass) if any of them make sense: https://www.japanstation.com/japan-rail-pass-value-calculator/

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
In which case, is there any difference between Pasmo to suica or any of the other IC cards? Or are they largely all are accepted in much of the country and services?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Stumbling Block posted:

In which case, is there any difference between Pasmo to suica or any of the other IC cards? Or are they largely all are accepted in much of the country and services?

Literally discussed just a few posts up. They're almost entirely interchangeable, with a few exceptions in some smaller cities.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

peanut posted:

December is cold

"Cold" is a relative term. Kyoto's average low-high for Dec/Jan is 37/34-52/46. That's downright balmy depending on where you're coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

MoofOntario posted:

Just to second this, I've never had the cost of the JR Rail Pass work out - you gotta do a fair number of trips in a short amount of time to make it even break even.

There's a cool website where you can put in your itinerary and it tells you out of all the passes (including JR Railpass) if any of them make sense: https://www.japanstation.com/japan-rail-pass-value-calculator/
I'm planning on taking the JR from Narita airport to Tokyo, spending a few days in Tokyo, then Tokyo -> Kyoto, few days in Kyoto, then back to Tokyo and to the airport. It's two R/Ts (Narita <-> Tokyo, Tokyo <-> Kyoto), I'm showing I'd save a few yen by getting the JR pass. Anything I'm missing here? There are alternate ways to/from the airport that I could consider.