Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

TyrantWD is a somewhat more competent CelestialScribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

porfiria posted:

Right but I guess it seems like the 538 model has some kind of "momentum" built into it--Trump is still clearly down, so if A. The polls don't move much in 6 days B. The polls are as accurate as they usually are, he will lose. If Trump winning at this point is just the "the polls are wrong" number, why should it have shifted significantly in the past week?

The polls DID tighten towards the end of last week.

Nate also does a thing where new poll data isn't immediately The Truth - more polls that agree with recent data or surpass it further reinforce them - ie, it takes a few polls in a row to move things. As the likely outlier in NC today reinforced the "he's surging" from Friday, it is working to decide the new truth is that she's 3-4 points ahead, rather than 7.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Lemming posted:

Because he's pretending he isn't a Trump supporter and is spewing bullshit

Oh I'm pretty sure he's said something similar before but I'm playing it straight. :v:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like a full term of GOP obstructionism and constantly investigating Hillary, it would backfire and make them look like assholes to everyone but the fringe. Most American want the goverment to work, and if its clear that straight up one party is doing everything to prevent that from happening, it won't gain them any sympathy.

It's been clear that straight up one party is doing everything to prevent the government from working for the past 6 years and it hasn't made much of a difference

Americans are very, very, very stupid.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

TyrantWD posted:

Demographics were supposed to make 2016 unwinnable for a Republican, and despite offending Hispanic voters as much as they probably could, this election is looking like it's going to be won because of college educated white voters that Trump alienated.

2016 was unwinnable. Trump never had a lead, he never once had any kind of lead ever. The idea this was a horse race was a myth.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like a full term of GOP obstructionism and constantly investigating Hillary, it would backfire and make them look like assholes to everyone but the fringe. Most American want the goverment to work, and if its clear that straight up one party is doing everything to prevent that from happening, it won't gain them any sympathy.

Most of the electorate already forgot about the government shutdown

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

rscott posted:

So gently caress women and minorities basically

Man you suck

You still have roughly 45% of women backing backing Trump and he is doing no worse with minorities than Romney. Women and minorities clearly don't consider Trump to be the threat that you do.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
As a break from TyrantWD's idiocy... does this count as tankie's for Hillary?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

theflyingorc posted:

The polls DID tighten towards the end of last week.

Nate also does a thing where new poll data isn't immediately The Truth - more polls that agree with recent data or surpass it further reinforce them - ie, it takes a few polls in a row to move things. As the likely outlier in NC today reinforced the "he's surging" from Friday, it is working to decide the new truth is that she's 3-4 points ahead, rather than 7.

The RCP polling average, by the way, puts the race much closer to 2 points than 4.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

TyrantWD posted:

You still have roughly 45% of women backing backing Trump and he is doing no worse with minorities than Romney. Women and minorities clearly don't consider Trump to be the threat that you do.

Why don't you go ahead and :toxx: then?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

porfiria posted:

Sure I get that, but again it comes back to the question of why 538's model seems so inclined towards 50/50 in a way that the others aren't--yes, the polls might be inaccurate, even over a large number of samples (leaving aside the issue of actual shifts in preference), but why does Nate's seem so much more skeptical of polling (maybe that's too harsh a way of putting it--maybe he just assumes that preferences are that fungible) than the others?

That's just an assumption that he bakes into the model. I'm sure he has justifications for it, but it ultimately boils down to him holding a stronger belief than others that the polls may not be accurate

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WampaLord posted:

You actually think Trump will win?

God drat you are a moron.

Not just that, but that it's a moral imperative for him to win.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Joke/stupid question.

Is it possible to recall congress reps and senators, asking for the timeline where the Repubs try the impeachy for Grandma's 1st year and somehow the good part of the country recall them and make everything solid blue.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

twistedmentat posted:

100 people Trump will find and arrest to end BLM riots!" and so on.

*Puts a small, yellow dog onto his head. Clears throat. Squares shoulders. Tiny hands are poised to gesticulate.*

"You know folks. It's sad. Sad really. Back in my day we knew how to deal with protesters. They don't get it. They don't. So sad. Sad that they don't get it. Within the first hundred days I propose the DAF act in order to quell urban unrest. What's the DAF act? It's terrifiic folks, you won't believe it. See we have to go back into our history to find solutions to everyday problems. And with urban unrest? It'll be a total sneak attack, because brown people don't show up here! *laughter* I kid, I kid. Some of my favorite friends happen to be the blacks. Yes folks, the DAF act. Short for dogs and fire hoses. That's right. The good ones won't have to worry about it. It'll be safe. And every single drop of water will be sourced from our very own Trump brand bottled water. It'll be terrific folks. Just terrific you wouldn't believe it. We need law and order. Law and order. *Rambles on for a bit before finally remembering his catchphrase, but with a twist*.Dogs and fire hoses will make America great again!"

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

WampaLord posted:

You actually think Trump will win?

God drat you are a moron.

Not at all. It's just the famed demographic uprising that would crush the Republicans is not why he is losing. Trump is losing because he is too stupid to avoid offending college educated white voters.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I would caution anyone from making any 2020 is going to be like this or even 2018 predictions because 2004-2008-2012-2016 were very much wildly different though you could probably predict 2016 from 2012 if your starting premise was "what's the stupidest most insane incredulous utter bullshit you could think of happening in an election, however unlikely"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PhazonLink posted:

Joke/stupid question.

Is it possible to recall congress reps and senators, asking for the timeline where the Repubs try the impeachy for Grandma's 1st year and somehow the good part of the country recall them and make everything solid blue.

Congress is the only one who can expel Congressmen.

Even if they weren't, people historically like their own Congressman, so it's not like you could get Rep Shitbird of Texas's 5th recalled.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PhazonLink posted:

Joke/stupid question.

No. Members of Congress can't be recalled.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A Winner is Jew posted:

Demographics dipshit.

"Demographics" is the 'A Wizard Did It" of politics.

You'd think all the talk about how 2016 was a guaranteed win for Democrats because of "demographics" would put people off making the exact same mistake about 2020.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Majorian posted:

It's unlikely that McConnell is going to be able to keep his party 100% in sufficient lockstep to not vote on a SCOTUS nominee for four whole years.
Having learned this year that fulfilling their constitutional and civic duty is not of any concern to the GOP and that they are not punished electorally for this, they have literally zero incentives to consider any of Hillary's picks. The media might make a bit of a stink at some point, but just ignoring them will cause them to go away because they can only write the same story about nothing happening so many times, just like what happened with Garland.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

RuanGacho posted:

I would caution anyone from making any 2020 is going to be like this or even 2018 predictions because 2004-2008-2012-2016 were very much wildly different though you could probably predict 2016 from 2012 if your starting premise was "what's the stupidest most insane incredulous utter bullshit you could think of happening in an election, however unlikely"

Back in 2004, if you had told somebody that the next president would be a black man named Barack Hussein Obama people would have laughed in your face (before his convention speech, anyway)

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

So, assuming Clinton wins, the GOP keeps the Senate and House, and they spend 100% of their time on obstruction of the "repeal obamacare", "investigate Clinton", or "impeach Clinton variety", and absolutely refuse to even talk to SCOTUS nominees, are US voters so blindly loyal to party, apathetic, and/or ill-informed as to not punish them for it in 2018 or 2020?

I wish I believed the answer to that could be "no."

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ice Phisherman posted:

*Puts a small, yellow dog onto his head. Clears throat. Squares shoulders. Tiny hands are poised to gesticulate.*

"You know folks. It's sad. Sad really. Back in my day we knew how to deal with protesters. They don't get it. They don't. So sad. Sad that they don't get it. Within the first hundred days I propose the DAF act in order to quell urban unrest. What's the DAF act? It's terrifiic folks, you won't believe it. See we have to go back into our history to find solutions to everyday problems. And with urban unrest? It'll be a total sneak attack, because brown people don't show up here! *laughter* I kid, I kid. Some of my favorite friends happen to be the blacks. Yes folks, the DAF act. Short for dogs and fire hoses. That's right. The good ones won't have to worry about it. It'll be safe. And every single drop of water will be sourced from our very own Trump brand bottled water. It'll be terrific folks. Just terrific you wouldn't believe it. We need law and order. Law and order. *Rambles on for a bit before finally remembering his catchphrase, but with a twist*.Dogs and fire hoses will make America great again!"

You've phrased this wrong, he would tailor the speech to the idea this was a really good thing for black folks to fix their communities, and that every black person he meets supports it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
the early polling results in Florida are suggesting that a third of Republican early vote is going to Clinton

:getin:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
So preview of poll tomorrow on MSNBC, 28% of Republican early voters are voting for Clinton.

This is great news, for Trump!

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Quinton posted:

So, assuming Clinton wins, the GOP keeps the Senate and House, and they spend 100% of their time on obstruction of the "repeal obamacare", "investigate Clinton", or "impeach Clinton variety", and absolutely refuse to even talk to SCOTUS nominees, are US voters so blindly loyal to party, apathetic, and/or ill-informed as to not punish them for it in 2018 or 2020?

Why are you even asking lmao

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

exploding mummy posted:

the early polling results in Florida are suggesting that a third of Republican early vote is going to Clinton

You better back that source up

Or that rear end

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

Yeah this election is a great example of just how random poo poo is. A far right wing politician getting the nomination based on a populist ideology that panders to xenophobic whites? Predictable, a logical outcome of the gop's politics the last.

That politician being donald loving trump with russian backing and a fbi director who seems determined to commit career suicide? Out of loving nowhere, i see no reason not to expect similar next election.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ogmius815 posted:

I really don't understand this thread's obsession with PJ's magical, pseudo-psychological explanations of how the world works. She's wrong as often as she's right.

I don't get it either but if I didn't give the people what they wanted before the election, they would have impeached me like they did poor Fried Chicken.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Insect Court posted:

"Demographics" is the 'A Wizard Did It" of politics.

You'd think all the talk about how 2016 was a guaranteed win for Democrats because of "demographics" would put people off making the exact same mistake about 2020.
2016 has been a guaranteed win for democrats

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Nessus posted:

You better back that source up

Or that rear end

Targetsmart/William and Mary, full release tomorrow.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

exploding mummy posted:

Oh you had best have a source for this one friend. (Oh god please be true).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Quinton posted:

Even if the Dems take the Senate, there's basically 0 chance they keep it in 2018

whoscookinbacon
Apr 4, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

yeah but u have to live in janesville, so you get to choose between fuddruckers or olive garden for your fine-dining options.

although you have a panda express which is nice.

Hey, slow your roll, bucko. We just got a HuHot AND a Five Guys!

(Sigh... maybe that "Chainsville" mock-iker isn't all that far off. )

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Ogmius815 posted:

Turn on MSNBC. Targetsmart.

Trump is in deep, deep, deep trouble if that poll is right.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lemming posted:

Even if the Dems take the Senate, there's basically 0 chance they keep it in 2018
In a 5-4 decision, though -

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Again, I don't support Trump, and was backing Hillary from the start. Most of you guys are overlooking the fact that Trump isn't the problem. Trump voters are the problem. What is the solution when someone who is not so overly offensive comes along and gives those voters what they want?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

Again, I don't support Trump, and was backing Hillary from the start. Most of you guys are overlooking the fact that Trump isn't the problem. Trump voters are the problem. What is the solution when someone who is not so overly offensive comes along and gives those voters what they want?

We deal with one problem at a time. Today the problem is the fascist on the ballot. There'll be time for the fascist in the drawing room tomorrow.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Ogmius815 posted:

https://twitter.com/_TargetSmart/status/793635698553200642

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Quinton posted:

The narrative regarding the SCOTUS they're pushing is that having a 9-member court has led to a proliferation of "activist judges" who disregard the Constitution to push a liberal agenda, and that what they're doing is intentionally shrinking the court back to a lower number because having a smaller SCOTUS leads to less abuse of the system by activist judges... for some reason.

This makes no sense to me but expect that to be the line you'll hear from conservatives for the next four years if they hold on to the Senate.

• Locked thread