Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

N is for Nipples posted:

Odds are high I'll flake out but I'd be interested if it's on the east side of DFW. My current bike isn't a huge fan of doing more than 60 though.

I can loan out a bike if you promise not to wreck it too hard.

What's the run? Out to Loco Coyote in Glen Rose? Something closer and more mundane like the route around McKinney?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

It's been at least a month or two since I've been on a bike with any power, but I probably will somewhat try not to wreck it that hard. What've you got?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

N is for Nipples posted:

It's been at least a month or two since I've been on a bike with any power, but I probably will somewhat try not to wreck it that hard. What've you got?

Bandit1250, or KTM 390 Duke, take your pick.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
No one posted a time or place, I can try and lead. The 7-11 gas station on the corner of parker and alma at 11am, we'll take off from there and go get food.
N is for Nipples if you want to borrow a bike, let me know, I'll get you directions to my place to get it. email is my username @gmail.com.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
This update came in past my deadline for being able to plan the day around it--too much kid stuff going on--so have fun & be safe all.

How's next weekend look? Too early to tell?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Alceste posted:

This update came in past my deadline for being able to plan the day around it--too much kid stuff going on--so have fun & be safe all.

How's next weekend look? Too early to tell?

Weather looks perfect for next weekend too. I say we try it again then.

I'm riding out to Coyote Loco and going to ride 51 and a few other roads out there, if anyone wants to go, again 7-11 parking lot, parker and alma in about 10 - 15.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Sorry, work intruded. Next week sounds great.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Bandit1250, or KTM 390 Duke, take your pick.

Duke's probably smarter, but I guess it depends. I'd gladly take the Bandito if everyone's showing up with 600+ccs. I've never ridden either, so it'll be an adventure either way, but it's been a long time since I've been on that much power.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I think it might depend on how fast you like to go around curves

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I'll keep next Sunday totally open and hope something comes together. I don't anticipate as many conflicts next weekend. If I can help with planning or whatever I'm happy to do what I can.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

N is for Nipples posted:

Duke's probably smarter, but I guess it depends. I'd gladly take the Bandito if everyone's showing up with 600+ccs. I've never ridden either, so it'll be an adventure either way, but it's been a long time since I've been on that much power.

Well whichever one you aren't riding I am, so it won't make much difference. Someone has to be the slow one and it's usually me.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
if I manage to go, i'll probably be pretty slow, too, with a 500cc machine

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Let's get where we're going to meet decided and a rough route. I usually ride in the back and pay no attention to where we are actually going. So if someone wants to try and lead I'll follow. If y'all want me to lead, be prepared for the more than normal amount of possible u-turns, dirt/gravel roads.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Sounds like we're mostly expecting a slower ride, which suits me fine. My tires are getting old and my confidence runs low these days since I hardly ever get to ride anymore. Not that I was a knee-dragger to begin with or anything.

I prefer not to be in front myself, since I roll very low tech (my nav system is a piece of paper taped to my gas tank) but I'll serve as needed.

What are our route options? Anywhere particularly good for this time of year? Since I'm based out of McKinney, when I do get to go out I usually ride most of the same roads we used to go on, so I'd be happy going somewhere else. Or, you know, not. Familiar is good too.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
That's about the only issue, the decent roads are either out by you or a bit or a ways off out near Granbury. We've done a few "around the lakes" that aren't too bad but will require some planning.

Don't knock the map taped to the gas tank, I either go with the phone yakking in my ear or the map/tape trick as well. No GPS for me as of yet.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I know it's a loooong day with lots of slab time, and probably impractical for most, and might also ruin my knees, but the fall foliage is reportedly coming in nicely along the Talimena Scenic Byway.

http://www.talimenascenicdrive.com/

Just tossing that out there.

One of my usual routes is east on Virginia from my neighborhood, through downtown McKinney (I like to look at the pretty houses :gay:) and then up to 380, and I'll take that east just to New Hope Road (FM 1827). I'll ride that all the way north till it ends at 545, and then I'll either take that east through Blue Ridge and turn north on 78, or take the earlier turn to go north on 2862. Both of those lead to 121, which I'll take south for a few miles and hop off on 455, and then take that west through Pilot Point, past Ray Roberts. There's a little jog south for a few miles on 377 before you turn west again on 455. I usually turn around in Sanger, take 455 back to Preston and come home through Prosper.

I haven't ridden this route in at least 4-5 weeks so I can't make any guarantees as to construction or the presence of gravel or chip seal, but last time it was fine.

455 keeps going to the west of course, to Eagles Canyon Raceway in Slidell--I remember stopping there once--and well beyond, but the only curvy part I know of is between Pilot Point and Anna.

Does the "around the lakes" route include going north to Texoma?

Anything is fine with me, really. I also forget sometimes that I do have a Sena, so the phone can talk in my ear too. I guess I'm not a total luddite. I still love and hate my carburetors though.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
The talimena is awesome but I'm not sure that'd be fun for everyone. I'd do it but we'd need to get out of the area early (like before or right at 9am) to make sure to get there and back in the daylight.

I say as we have a mix and possibly someone new, we take your usual route and make it a lazy day.

Meet up fro brunch somewhere?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I think we planned on leaving at 8 sharp the last time we did the Byway. It's fun, but it's a full day of riding for sure.

If by some stroke you *do* end up going, make sure to have lunch at American Artisans. They have excellent soups and sandwiches.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I'd probably be a lot more comfortable on the Dook. I'm pretty much down for whatever.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
The route I posted or some variation thereof sounds fine to me. It's not all that long, but I don't know if that's a pro or con for everybody. Should be easy enough to stretch it out if we want more time.

There are multiple places we could go for brunch in downtown McKinney, which is the traditional starting point anyway. We usually go to the Pub but there's also Spoons, which has a mini-buffet, and Snug, if you want sugary coffee drinks--the chai latte there is good--or the Celt if you want to eat beans for breakfast. Rye is amazing, and they have brunch too, but seating in there is really limited. Of all of those the Pub has the best capacity and the best beer.

kuffs, how's the neck?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Alceste posted:

The route I posted or some variation thereof sounds fine to me. It's not all that long, but I don't know if that's a pro or con for everybody. Should be easy enough to stretch it out if we want more time.

There are multiple places we could go for brunch in downtown McKinney, which is the traditional starting point anyway. We usually go to the Pub but there's also Spoons, which has a mini-buffet, and Snug, if you want sugary coffee drinks--the chai latte there is good--or the Celt if you want to eat beans for breakfast. Rye is amazing, and they have brunch too, but seating in there is really limited. Of all of those the Pub has the best capacity and the best beer.

kuffs, how's the neck?

The Pub or Spoons at 10am?

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I vote Pub, but they're both fine, and 10 sounds good.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

N is for Nipples posted:

I'd probably be a lot more comfortable on the Dook. I'm pretty much down for whatever.

You have my address, show up at about 9:30 and we'll see what we can do on the roads.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
My neck's just fine really. I was only on medication for 2 weeks after the surgery. I got to take the brace off a couple months ago. More recently I've noticed that my limited rotation doesn't annoy me as such. I think I'm just starting to compensate with my upper body more naturally.

Have fun guys!

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Big thanks to Nipples for being a cool guy and coming out with us, and to Skreemer for being a bike dealer. I'm sorry for messing up my directions--I don't know how I forgot which direction we were coming back from, re the Preston detour--but I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Alceste posted:

Big thanks to Nipples for being a cool guy and coming out with us, and to Skreemer for being a bike dealer. I'm sorry for messing up my directions--I don't know how I forgot which direction we were coming back from, re the Preston detour--but I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

I had an amazing time - thank you both so much for having me, and especially to Skreemer for trusting me with the little Duke. It was an absolute treat to ride.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
It was a fun day. Nice to get out and ride some roads. A little confusion over breakfast and there wasn't nearly as many wrong turn as there could have been. We'll have to do it again sometime.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Oh yeah, the breakfast thing. For everyone's future reference, the Pub now opens at 11 on Sunday and I wonder if they even bother with brunch anymore. Breakfasts at Snug are big enough for 2-3 people to share but they require half an hour of standing in line. :(

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Alceste posted:

Breakfasts at Snug are big enough for 2-3 people to share but they require half an hour of standing in line. :(

No exaggeration whatsoever. Good lord, they are good, though. I only made it halfway through their immense, delicious breakfast sandwich which is essentially just an omelette on a nice bun.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I was in Mckinney this morning, to ride with a friend who had to bail out. I should have checked this thread. I will, next time I have a weekend day off.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Keep an eye out and join up. No hooligan shenanigans with our group, but we definitely hustle down a curvy road or two.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

Keep an eye out and join up. No hooligan shenanigans with our group, but we definitely hustle down a curvy road or two.

I don't go for the hooligan stuff anymore, I just want to have fun riding, not trying to qualify for MotoGP. Most of the time, I am the slowest ZX14 rider around, I save my big throttle twists for those few times I feel there is next to zero risk in doing it. But, thanks, will keep an eye out for the next chance.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Is yours red? If so I wonder if that was you I gave a nod to while I was on my way downtown to meet up. Eastbound on Virginia at...Jordan? Randy Lee? Blue SV650, blue visor.

I saw all the gear, which is a rare enough thing to be pretty goddamn sad, and thought for sure it was one of the guys from here and was disappointed when he/you turned off.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Alceste posted:

Is yours red? If so I wonder if that was you I gave a nod to while I was on my way downtown to meet up. Eastbound on Virginia at...Jordan? Randy Lee? Blue SV650, blue visor.

I saw all the gear, which is a rare enough thing to be pretty goddamn sad, and thought for sure it was one of the guys from here and was disappointed when he/you turned off.

Yep! That was me. Was turning off to go check on my riding buddy who had to go do family stuff. I ended up having breakfast in town, at Celt's (The Celt? not sure, but drat good food) and went out on my own for a few hours. Saw your chin mounted helmet cam, will pick your brains about a good cam setup at some point.

P.S. Good looking SV, those are great bikes. But you probably already know that.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 2, 2016

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Funny. Well, at least my hunch about you being a CAgoon was correct. Also we were probably still standing in line at Snug while you were at the Celt.

That ZX14 looks good in red and it caught my eye from a long way back. I do love my SV; it seems to enjoy the way I abuse it, and I never get tired of looking at it, but I'm also accustomed to having the cheapest, oldest, unsexiest and lowest tech bike in any group I'm ever a part of.

My chin mount required a sorta goofy configuration of brackets and extensions, but the mounting to the helmet is solid, the POV is perfect and the results are just what I wanted. I can post up some sample footage if anyone's interested. I wish the battery lasted longer, but for a $40 FauxPro I really can't complain.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Alceste posted:

Funny. Well, at least my hunch about you being a CAgoon was correct. Also we were probably still standing in line at Snug while you were at the Celt.

That ZX14 looks good in red and it caught my eye from a long way back. I do love my SV; it seems to enjoy the way I abuse it, and I never get tired of looking at it, but I'm also accustomed to having the cheapest, oldest, unsexiest and lowest tech bike in any group I'm ever a part of.

My chin mount required a sorta goofy configuration of brackets and extensions, but the mounting to the helmet is solid, the POV is perfect and the results are just what I wanted. I can post up some sample footage if anyone's interested. I wish the battery lasted longer, but for a $40 FauxPro I really can't complain.

Once we meet in person, I will show some stuff on my Zed X that is goofy. Prior owner installed LEDs (ugh) that I will remove once I get a good picture and (possibly) put on my Accord. For the comedy. And PO was afraid of corners. The tires are nearly worn out, in the middle 25%. Just commuting on it, I have tripled the amount of tread usage. I didn't buy this bike, I rescued it.

PM me, I will uncloak my Twitter, which is basically nothing but me raving about this bike, lately.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 2, 2016

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I for one enjoyed standing in line and chatting with you fuckin' nerds. :colbert:

Alceste, did you have the camera running for any of that? I'd be interested in any and all images of that Dook. Also, was it just me, or did we catch a little air over that particularly bumpy intersection leaving downtown McKinney?

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
That wait would have been agonizing if we hadn't had Skreemer's Tragic Tales to keep us entertained.

I did have the cam running, yeah, for as long as the battery held out. I still need to dump the footage and see what I got, so once I get it on YT I'll let you guys know. Unfortunately my little knockoff doesn't have external mic capability so the audio is muted and lovely.

I'm familiar enough with most of the intersections around there that I know when to stand on the pegs, so I don't murder my tailbone on bumps, but I bet it's fun to catch air on that little Duke from time to time. I would have been more jealous if I wasn't pretty sure my knees would have hated the riding position. I'm still thinking about lowering the pegs on the SV. :corsair:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Heading either direction on E Park Blvd (west is best) you can easily catch air going the speed limit at the K intersection. Was my little burst of joy in an otherwise dull commute.

I was secretly hoping I'd do it in front of someone with a dash cam and I'd end up on utoob.

I was also able to catch air leaving the parking garage at the last place I worked. Incredibly fun on the DRZ. That is, until building security told me to cut it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

I was also able to catch air leaving the parking garage at the last place I worked. Incredibly fun on the DRZ. That is, until building security told me to cut it out.

Those security guys are no fun there. I got told off for carrying the front wheel in the air on the bandit on the way down the parking ramp.

• Locked thread