Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Agean90 posted:

Yeah this election is a great example of just how random poo poo is. A far right wing politician getting the nomination based on a populist ideology that panders to xenophobic whites? Predictable, a logical outcome of the gop's politics the last.

That politician being donald loving trump with russian backing and a fbi director who seems determined to commit career suicide? Out of loving nowhere, i see no reason not to expect similar next election.

A lot of it comes down to the fact that we don't know, and will never know, how contingent history is. Obviously, EVERYTHING isn't possible. Trump probably couldn't exist in 2012, and he certainly couldn't have before that. But it's very easy to imagine Mitt Romney deciding not the run in 2012 (one man making a choice), and then going for it in 2016. What happens then? Very difficult to say, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TyrantWD posted:

Again, I don't support Trump, and was backing Hillary from the start. Most of you guys are overlooking the fact that Trump isn't the problem. Trump voters are the problem. What is the solution when someone who is not so overly offensive comes along and gives those voters what they want?
gently caress if I know, man, in four years we could be in the Alliance of Free Stars fighting the Ur-quan menace alongside our Chenjesu brothers

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TyrantWD posted:

Again, I don't support Trump, and was backing Hillary from the start. Most of you guys are overlooking the fact that Trump isn't the problem. Trump voters are the problem. What is the solution when someone who is not so overly offensive comes along and gives those voters what they want?

Yeah, what if a cool collected businessman like Mitt Romney becomes the nominee????

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ogmius815 posted:

Oh you had best have a source for this one friend. (Oh god please be true).

Lawrence O'Donnell was interviewing someone from TargetSmart about their survey of early voters on MSNBC

Poll is officially out tomorrow.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

exploding mummy posted:

the early polling results in Florida are suggesting that a third of Republican early vote is going to Clinton

:getin:

Citation on that?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Lemming posted:

Even if the Dems take the Senate, there's basically 0 chance they keep it in 2018

Doesn't even matter. If Clinton wins and Dems take the senate we get a reasonable justice to replace Scalia, and liberals to replace RBG and maybe Breyer if he's smart and Kennedy if he's unlucky.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

Overly offensive is what they want dumbass

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

TyrantWD posted:

Country begins the long, slow backslide into authoritarianism and fiscal conservatism, entire world hates us and we drag them all down with us

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

Even if the Dems take the Senate, there's basically 0 chance they keep it in 2018
I have to believe that Hillary Clinton will treat midterms (both of them, fuckers) like the war they should be treated as.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

TyrantWD posted:

The optimistic take is that these voters really want somebody as openly offensive as Trump, and that if a nominee comes along who starts speaking in coded language again, they'll be upset that he's politically correct and will stay home because nothing can compare to their orange messiah

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you are having trouble reading this thread without panicking, I invite you to play this on loop while reading the thread, it makes stomaching some of the more distasteful things that much more bearable. Plus, it's free~

http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/index.html?isrc=USUAN1400011

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

The Insect Court posted:

"Demographics" is the 'A Wizard Did It" of politics.

You'd think all the talk about how 2016 was a guaranteed win for Democrats because of "demographics" would put people off making the exact same mistake about 2020.

No it isn't. It's the identification of voter trends among statistically distinct and identifiable portions of the population and extrapolating those trends across projected changes in population. Sure it's possible that the minorities will suddenly decide to break for the GoP in the coming years, but based on the proportions that currently vote Dem and without any reason to think that's going to change the mathematics are pretty solid.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

exploding mummy posted:

Lawrence O'Donnell was interviewing someone from TargetSmart about their survey of early voters on MSNBC

Poll is officially out tomorrow.

I don;t believe it until I see the poll myself. Even then I won't be happy until I compare it to data about party line-crossers in previous elections.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

Democrats still win.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ogmius815 posted:

Doesn't even matter. If Clinton wins and Dems take the senate we get a reasonable justice to replace Scalia, and liberals to replace RBG and maybe Breyer if he's smart and Kennedy if he's unlucky.
Eventually, there will be another Republican or, I don't know, KKK president; eventually, darkness will come, as it has in its time.

But that doesn't mean it has to come in THIS time.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
For what it's worth, this country absolutely loving hates Donald Trump. It's just that A. Hillary is also fairly despised and B. Partisanship is unbelievably strong.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Ogmius815 posted:

I don;t believe it until I see the poll myself. Even then I won't be happy until I compare it to data about party line-crossers in previous elections.

Last highest crossover amount was like 9% in 2012, if I recall. Here is the press release on the poll.

https://www.scribd.com/document/329698329/TargetSmart-William-Mary-Florida-Poll-of-Early-and-Likely-Voters

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TyrantWD posted:

They'd vote against him.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

FAUXTON posted:

Accelerationism is just downmarket affluenza, white kids being so sheltered from the consequences of their actions that they believe economic crashes and layoffs are just abstract things that happen to other people.

Lol if you don't think those things aren't going to happen under Hillary. The GOP will run a wet noodle in 2020 and beat Hillary.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Nessus posted:

Eventually, there will be another Republican or, I don't know, KKK president; eventually, darkness will come, as it has in its time.

Trump isn't just a republican though. Compare him to Mitt Romney. Trump is so un-American he actually makes me sick.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

quote:

As of the morning of November 1st, 2016, TargetSmart tracks that 3,695,359 people have already cast their votes in Florida.
Leveraging TargetSmart’s proprietary voter file - that is updated daily through the early voting window - this poll reached a significant number of voters who have already participated. Among those early voters (who were asked which candidate they had voted for), Clinton outpaces Trump by a 17-point margin, 55 to 38 percent.

This is pretty massive if accurate, woah.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

:popeye::eyepop::popeye:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

DarkstarIV posted:

Last highest crossover amount was like 9% in 2012, if I recall. Here is the press release on the poll.

https://www.scribd.com/document/329698329/TargetSmart-William-Mary-Florida-Poll-of-Early-and-Likely-Voters

Is there any data on crossover voters among early voters? I bet that's too specific a point to have data on right now but maybe it exists I don't know.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I have to believe that Hillary Clinton will treat midterms (both of them, fuckers) like the war they should be treated as.

Hillary will treat every day dealing with congress like she was invading Libya.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lemming posted:

This is actually fine, because it at least gives Clinton a shot at filling Scalia's vacancy.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

im gay posted:

Lol if you don't think those things aren't going to happen under Hillary. The GOP will run a wet noodle in 2020 and beat Hillary.

Assumes their base will vote for him. GOP primaries are circuses and the biggest clown escapes alive.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Nessus posted:

Sons of Roosevelt, of Kennedy!

I see in your words the same arzying that would take the heart of me.

An election may come when the courage of liberals fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this election!

An hour of Racists and Sexists when the age of Obama comes crashing down, but it is not this day!

THIS DAY WE VOTE!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ogmius815 posted:

Trump isn't just a republican though. Compare him to Mitt Romney. Trump is so un-American he actually makes me sick.

Trump is literally the republican base now.

You're not wrong about how unamerican Trump is or how sick he makes us, but his supporters are the republican base now.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Ogmius815 posted:

Is there any data on crossover voters among early voters? I bet that's too specific a point to have data on right now but maybe it exists I don't know.

All of the data is being released tomorrow, apparently. Please look forward to it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If you're worried about 2018, it's two years away. We could change American politics in that time.

If you're a bad enough dude to save the president.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
We've got a massive shortage of federal judges too, largely thanks to Republicans wanting to limit the number of Obama appointees. Even just two years of a Democratically controlled Senate would be a godsend.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
wait wtf is the FBI doing now?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

A Winner is Jew posted:

Trump is literally the republican base now.

You're not wrong about how unamerican Trump is or how sick he makes us, but his supporters are the republican base now.

It's probably true that Trumpenstaffel are the most significant GOP voting bloc, but again I'd point out his massive negative numbers. You don't get to -21 without freaking out a lot of non Democrats. Many of those people are pulling the lever for Trump anyway, but I'm not sure they'll continue to do so into the future (for future Trumps I mean).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lemming posted:

People who vote Republican reward Republicans for being incredibly huge shitheads, and if they do it far enough away from an election (ie more than 1 week away), everyone else forgets they ever did anything. See how not confirming Garland has had zero negative repercussions for any Republicans.

Remember when some people thought that blocking Garland would actually hurt the GOP? :smith:

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You're all a bunch of loving babies. Quit your Arzying. :toxx: me for Hillary, maybe some others will follow.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Endorph posted:

Democrats still win.

Because of changing demographics?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Lemming posted:

Yeah, if the Dems take the Senate and the old liberal lions on the court are smart, they have a 2 year window to retire. Hillary also has 2 years to maybe try to get any legislation or reforms passed. The odds that the Dems lose the Senate in 2018 are not 100%, but they are really drat high.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Levitate posted:

wait wtf is the FBI doing now?

No one really knows what's going on at the FBI. Rumors suggest that there is serious dissension over Comey's letter and how certain investigations have been and/or are being handled.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress MY STATE DO NOT SCREW UP THE SENATE!!! :argh:

Indianapolis Star posted:

Former Sen. Evan Bayh’s once healthy lead in the race for his old Senate seat has evaporated, according to a Monmouth University poll released Monday showing Bayh in a dead heat with GOP Rep. Todd Young.

While the poll also showed GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump regaining strength since mid-October, Democratic gubernatorial candidate John Gregg has maintained his lead over Lt. Gov. Eric Holcomb, despite a tightening of that race.

But the 5 percentage point margin of error still leaves a lot of uncertainty about the eventual outcomes.

The Senate race is closest, with 45 percent of respondents choosing Bayh and 45 percent choosing Young to replace retiring Sen. Dan Coats. Libertarian Lucy Brenton was the choice of 4 percent.

Bayh had a 6- to 7-point lead in Monmouth polls taken in mid-October and August.

Since Bayh's late entry into the race in July, he has been hit by a steady stream of news coverage and ads critical of his post-Senate work for a Washington law and lobbying firm and for a private equity fund, including stories about the amount of time he spent job hunting during his last year in office.

The super PAC helping Senate Republicans released two new ads against Bayh on Monday, the same day the campaign arm of Senate Democrats reported spending $800,000 on ads against Young.

Democrats have attacked Young for improperly taking a homestead deduction in the past and for mistakes made when accepting and reporting contributions to his 2010 House campaign, which resulted in fines by the Federal Election Commission.

Negative views of Bayh and Young have crept up in the past two weeks, with Bayh affected more than Young.

The share of respondents with an unfavorable view of Bayh increased from 19 percent in August and 26 percent in mid-October to 32 percent in the past week. His favorability rating has dropped from 46 percent in August to 38 percent recently.

Young is still not as well known as Bayh, with 45 percent having no general impression of him. Among those who do, Young’s unfavorability rating has increased from 15 percent in August to 24 percent in recent days. The share of respondents who view him favorably remains at about 30 percent.

Only nugget of good coming from this.

quote:

In the gubernatorial contest, Gregg’s lead over Holcomb narrowed since the 12 percentage point margin in the last Monmouth poll. But Gregg still leads Holcomb 48 percent to 42 percent. Libertarian Rex Bell has 4 percent.

FULL ON :derp: MODE ACTIVE TILL ELECTION NOW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

You're all a bunch of loving babies. Quit your Arzying. :toxx: me for Hillary, maybe some others will follow.

You can toxx for Hilldog here.

• Locked thread