Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
What makes you think you can't be close to points in the Amagi? :confused:
In fact it is easier because you get there faster and you can gently caress off if it looks too hot.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

TheFluff posted:

The IJN DD line has been nerfed into the ground and from T6 and up I think the Fubuki is the only really good ship left. RN cruisers are not really worth the hassle imo, the Edinburgh might be good but in general the no HE gimmick is too limiting. Carriers are awful, don't play them. The Montana isn't a competitive T10.

The rest should all be pretty okay - there are some individual turds but most of their shittiness can be mitigated if you know what the limitations are. The Nagato and Amagi are both perfectly serviceable and their speed excuses a lot of other flaws - I personally do worse in US BB's up to and including the Colorado because seriously, gently caress doing 20 knots at tier 7. The US DD line is particularly strong (and very fun to play) right now.

Going purely on stats, the T7-T10 IJN DDs are completely trash. I think the Fubu has a place in ranked, but in random battles there's really no way it can compete. and I think that's the core reason for the additional IJN DDs being added - the advantage of the"strong" torps of the IJN line dies away past T6, and the guns continue to be trash when compared against USN or Stallinium guns.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TheFluff posted:

What makes you think you can't be close to points in the Amagi? :confused:

The rare occasions I see an Amagi these days, if it ever gets inside of about 12km of a North Carolina or Bismarck it just evaporates like it's doing a 1970s sympathy strike with RN cruisers.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

NTRabbit posted:

The rare occasions I see an Amagi these days, if it ever gets inside of about 12km of a North Carolina or Bismarck it just evaporates like it's doing a 1970s sympathy strike with RN cruisers.

pubbies show broadside like retards, an angled Amagi is pretty tanky
not as tanky as a NC or a Bismarck of course but you won't have any problems staying alive. I play it in ranked regularly and it's fine.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

After my first 10-20 games in my NC I was longing for my Colorado. The play-style is so different if all you've ever known is American standards.

I'm pretty sure this is known as Stockholm Syndrome. A bow-on NC tanks at least as well as an angled Colorado, you can actually move in an NC, the NC has better range, dispersion, and shells than the Colorado even though they're both 16-inchers, and the NC gets the magical 5/38s that eat planes and uncautious DDs.

Also the NC looks much prettier than the USN Standards.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

AfroSquirrel posted:

I'm pretty sure this is known as Stockholm Syndrome. A bow-on NC tanks at least as well as an angled Colorado, you can actually move in an NC, the NC has better range, dispersion, and shells than the Colorado even though they're both 16-inchers, and the NC gets the magical 5/38s that eat planes and uncautious DDs.

Also the NC looks much prettier than the USN Standards.

Oh, I know all of that now. The next 20 games have been much better in terms of individual play although my winrate in the ship is utter trash. I think it's like 30% or something.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The US DD-like shell speed on the NC is the biggest difference to try and get used to, it's a lot like going from Nurnberg to Yorck. You get better at some things, but a whole lot worse at dealing with HE spammers out past 16km

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Belfast officially drops on the 4th.

In the wild Americas, anyway.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Why is Steven Seagal?

Crash74
May 11, 2009

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Why is Steven Seagal?

dang he is pretty useless, only u.s. level 6, would be one thing if you could use him on any ship. but lol i don't need another u.s. captain.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Why is Steven Seagal?

For some reason this seemingly insane gentleman is very popular in Russias.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assumed it was a pun on his name.

Because he's SEAgal

On a BOAT.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

TheFluff posted:

RN cruisers are not really worth the hassle imo, the Edinburgh might be good but in general the no HE gimmick is too limiting.

I was not sold at all through the first 5 tiers of the RN cruisers, but after I got the Leander they became my favorite ships to play. Not necessarily my most effective, but I have a lot of fun playing them.

To be fair though, I'm almost out of the Fiji so I have no idea how bad Neptune and Minotaur with their high citadels are going to be...

quote:

The Nagato and Amagi are both perfectly serviceable and their speed excuses a lot of other flaws - I personally do worse in US BB's up to and including the Colorado because seriously, gently caress doing 20 knots at tier 7. The US DD line is particularly strong (and very fun to play) right now.

I've played the Japanese line through Kongo, the American line through New Mexico, and the German line through Bismark and I enjoy the German line the most.

Then again, for some reason I find getting in brawling range with a BB extremely satisfying in this boats game.

My biggest complaint about the American line is the speed of the ships through the Colorado. More than once I've found myself in a position where I really need to change move to a different part of the map in order to help out the team, but couldn't.

The Japanese line is okay, but the ships feel really squishy to me. I find this to be odd from, a gameplay perspective, for no other reason than the fact that the end of the line is Yamato.

Vengarr posted:

I don't feel that Colorado or Nagato should be aggressively pushing. They were expressly built to set the battle line, their optimal engagement range is 10-15km. If you're leading the charge into the cap circle, you're just a giant target. You can't withdraw if you start taking heavy fire, or dodge torpedoes without leaving yourself wildly out of position. You ought to be a few klicks behind the cruisers, not out in front.

I do have basically the same stats with Colorado as I do with Nagato though.

Yes, but as someone who drives cruisers more than anything else (I know), it is so super frustrating when you're rolling in with battleships of any nationality, and they just stop and wait for the cruisers to do the "pushing" while they "snipe."

It's even more infuriating when Bismarcks and Tirpitzs stop to hide behind an island, or go in reverse, while the cruisers are eating all of the red team's BB shells.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 1, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, I don't get the Steven Seagal thing either, but he's apparently popular at Wargaming.

There was this from a few months ago too: http://wargaming.com/en/news/steven-seagal-joins-wows/

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Why is Steven Seagal?

He was on a boat once.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Oh my god, I thought everyone was joking and that picture of Steven Seagal was a joke. I thought there was some ship with a captain that just kinda looks like him, and "LOL HES STEVEN SEAGAL" was a laugh.

I didn't realize it was real. And worthless. Why.
:negative:

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
As long as I get stuff they can use even Chuck Norris, I don't really care.

I see there's some disagreement about the worst ships. What about the best ones?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cippalippus posted:

I see there's some disagreement about the worst ships. What about the best ones?

Khabravosk and Nikolai are the best of the best, after that it gets harder to say.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

Chuck Norris was USAF though, you're not getting him. :v:

No, seriously. He's even got a signed picture at the enlisted heritage museum on Maxwell-Gunter.

JCFalkenberg
Jul 7, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Confirmation bias is a bitch:

While your statement that the Amagi is rare (relative to NC anyway) is correct, it still survives more battles, wins more games and does more damage on average. I liked the NC (post buff - pre buff was a loving nightmare), but it just isn't as good as the Amagi on average, especially in now that carriers are rarely seen.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
While it has a pretty weak deck armor, at close range the Amagi is surprisingly durable, even more so when properly angled.
And firepower wise, it is a serious match for the T9 battleships.

Overall it is quite an enjoyable battleship, it's only drawbacks is that it sees a lot of Yamato and other T10. Range is a bit low but it forces people to get into effective range and be more effective.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cippalippus posted:

Bismarck and Atago are superlative ships in T8. Bismarck isn't that huge a leap over the other BBs at the level, but Atago is just insane. Cruisers at high tiers suffer in general, but Atago's only weakness is lackluster AA. Otherwise it's got great armor, speed, huge firepower, and a great consumable loadout with repair, hydro, and a scout fighter. But most importantly with mods and captain skills, you get 9km concealment which is just gold for a cruiser.

Re: Amagi chat, it does benefit from sitting significantly lower in the water than the German or US ships, so it does tend to be a bit harder to even actually hit the thing.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Bismarck and Atago are superlative ships in T8. Bismarck isn't that huge a leap over the other BBs at the level, but Atago is just insane. Cruisers at high tiers suffer in general, but Atago's only weakness is lackluster AA. Otherwise it's got great armor, speed, huge firepower, and a great consumable loadout with repair, hydro, and a scout fighter. But most importantly with mods and captain skills, you get 9km concealment which is just gold for a cruiser.

Re: Amagi chat, it does benefit from sitting significantly lower in the water than the German or US ships, so it does tend to be a bit harder to even actually hit the thing.

I already have one. I like it. So it's better than regular ships even though it's premium? How's that?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Some great ships I personally like:
- Most US DD's but especially the Benson (and from what I hear the Fletcher and Gearing), you bully other DD's and steal their lunch money, kick them off caps and torp everything.
- Atago, the best T8 cruiser and arguably one of the best cruisers in the game at tier - hard hitting and accurate 20cm guns, great torps, self-heal, decent armor and great concealment. In the right hands it can go up against any other ship class and win.
- Belfast more like bullshit. Murders DD's super hard but the lack of torps makes it a bit vulnerable to BB's.
- Kongo is a good fast battleship/battlecruiser
- The Murmansk (and to a lesser extent its American tech tree cousin the Omaha) is a cool and good "set fire to all the things" cruiser that also has decent torpedoes. Sadly T5 matchmaking is a bit hosed these days.

Cippalippus posted:

I already have one. I like it. So it's better than regular ships even though it's premium? How's that?

Most of the IJN cruisers from tiers 5 to 9 are pretty similar and play quite similarly; as tiers go up you mainly gain more damage, slightly more armor and better concealment. At T7 you also get forward launching torpedoes in addition to the ones that can only be launched backwards. The Atago is no exception but for some reason they gave it the heal, which makes it much more survivable. It also has better torpedo angles and better concealment than its tech tree relative the Mogami. I have no idea why they did this but it's a very old premium and the game has changed a lot since it was implemented. :iiam:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 1, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Many premiums are way better than ships in the tech tree. Gremyaschy takes the t5 Russian dd with lovely 4km torps and replaced them with 8km versions, for example.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Atago is amazing. The cloaking device is real and hilarious.. I had a salvo start five fires on a single ship. It can bounce 203 AP bow-on at 4km. I got a Kraken in my fifth game.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cobbsprite posted:

Oh my god, I thought everyone was joking and that picture of Steven Seagal was a joke. I thought there was some ship with a captain that just kinda looks like him, and "LOL HES STEVEN SEAGAL" was a laugh.

I didn't realize it was real. And worthless. Why.
:negative:

Do yourself a favour and watch under siege

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Cippalippus posted:

I think Flamu explains it well. It's a ship that scales heavily to your skill level.

Here's a good example of that.

And what the hell, have an Amagi video too.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, had an Akizuki on my team earlier, so they're definitely in the hands of supertesters at this point. Never died, so I couldn't follow it during the match, but did watch it in replay mode later.

Obviously I could only sort of track it, as free cam just lets me look at it, not automatically follow it and the like, but even what I can definitely see is interesting. In the preview a month or two back, Akizuki was listed as having 15,900 hp. Either that indeed WAS the base hull, or they've boosted its hp since. Even if the supertester was running Survivability Expert, for a T8 that's 3,200 hp, which would mean Akizuki has at a minimum 17,200 hp. And I have no clue whether the supertester is running that or not, so Akizuki could possibly have 20,400 hp on top hull. Given Akizuki actually displaces more than the 19,600 hp Tashkent at the same tier - hell Akizuki displaces more than any destroyer in the game other than Khabarovsk, which never existed - it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

Guns were indeed quick-firing, and he was rapidly racking up damage on a Kagero but, well, it was a Kagero. Couldn't really tell how well it performed against other ships.

JCFalkenberg
Jul 7, 2008
The Atago loving owns. Between the forward firing torps, heal and slightly increased stealth range over the mogami, only the Chapayev and maybe the Edinburgh* come close from the tech tree. The Kutuzov is pretty good too though.

*Edinburgh currently has better average stats, but IMO there's not really enough of them out there to tell for sure.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Lord Koth posted:

Well, had an Akizuki on my team earlier, so they're definitely in the hands of supertesters at this point. Never died, so I couldn't follow it during the match, but did watch it in replay mode later.

Obviously I could only sort of track it, as free cam just lets me look at it, not automatically follow it and the like, but even what I can definitely see is interesting. In the preview a month or two back, Akizuki was listed as having 15,900 hp. Either that indeed WAS the base hull, or they've boosted its hp since. Even if the supertester was running Survivability Expert, for a T8 that's 3,200 hp, which would mean Akizuki has at a minimum 17,200 hp. And I have no clue whether the supertester is running that or not, so Akizuki could possibly have 20,400 hp on top hull. Given Akizuki actually displaces more than the 19,600 hp Tashkent at the same tier - hell Akizuki displaces more than any destroyer in the game other than Khabarovsk, which never existed - it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

Guns were indeed quick-firing, and he was rapidly racking up damage on a Kagero but, well, it was a Kagero. Couldn't really tell how well it performed against other ships.

20400 HP matches the stats on the WoWS wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Akizuki

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So one fun thing with British ships, their quick acceleration means that they will happily rocket out of smoke if you try to adjust. Which ended up with me sticking my dick out in front of a Scharnhorst. Not that a Emerald can do a goddamn thing to a Scharnhorst that can dodge torps.

Also the Emerald is pure poo poo.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 2, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

20400 HP matches the stats on the WoWS wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Akizuki

...Huh, hadn't realized Akizuki was on the WoWS wiki yet. A few minutes wasted on typing that analysis. :v:

I'm going to guess the new branch will release in the patch after the current one being tested, unless some issue arises. No real proof either way, just what I'm feeling since there's nothing about them in this public test and supertesters are still checking them out on live.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
A super container!

250 Juliet Whiskey Unaones flags. A 15% bonus to causing flooding.

That is about the biggest gently caress you I could have gotten in the game.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Weird. So premium ships in this game are actually better than the regular counterparts I'm finding. In WOT premium tanks aren't nearly as good as regular ones.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Cippalippus posted:

Weird. So premium ships in this game are actually better than the regular counterparts I'm finding. In WOT premium tanks aren't nearly as good as regular ones.
It varies. Generally WOWS premiums are comparable to regular counterparts but now and again they release things like Belfast. On other hand there are things like E25 in WOT.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 2, 2016

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Was in a match with an Ayanami earlier. It got sunk before I could take a look at it.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Cippalippus posted:

Not universally, and the degree varies. I think Prinz Eugen is just a Hipper that's in the US tree, for example. On the other hand things like the Saipan stomp over their competitors.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

AfroSquirrel posted:

Not universally, and the degree varies. I think Prinz Eugen is just a Hipper that's in the US tree, for example. On the other hand things like the Saipan stomp over their competitors.

Prinz Eugen is in the German tree. It's literally a Hipper that has massively buffed income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Cippalippus posted:

Not all the time. The Atago is one of the few that is noticeable step up. Usually ships gain an advantage in one place, but get a few disadvantages to make up for it.