Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

If U want it?
It's 4 sale ok
If U need 2 ask
ask

Buckets has a new favorite as of 03:36 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

Funnily enough, this is actually a real book, created by real publishers. English as She is Spoke was written by a Portuguese man in the nineteenth century as an attempt at a Portuguese-English phrase book, despite the fact that the author, Pedro Carolino, had never heard English or traveled to an English speaking country. He did it by rote translation from Portuguese-English dictionaries and countless hours spent writing sheer and utter nonsense. Futility Closet did a podcast on it, and it includes several excerpts from the book, many of which make no sense at all.

https://www.futilitycloset.com/2015/05/18/podcast-episode-58-english-as-she-is-spoke/

The Wikipedia article also has some info

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_As_She_Is_Spoke

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugli_fruit

Know your Jamaican citrus, man

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

freeedr posted:

Know your Jamaincan citrus, man

ftfy

UnNethertrash
Jun 14, 2007
The Trashman Cometh

PCOS Bill posted:

I bet he wears skinny jeans every day

What does PCOS stand for?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Bill cares deeply about women's health issues.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Good on ya bill

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TotalLossBrain posted:

Bill cares deeply about women's health issues.

It's a pun

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

please cum on stan

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

No puns allowed in the funny pictures thread

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Explain how women's medical issues are involved in your pun though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i always assumed PCOS had something to do with computer code

the more you know i guess

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

I find it disturbing that you had to explain that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Khazar-khum posted:

I find it disturbing that you had to explain that.

Why? I'd never heard of Pecos Bill until someone explained PCOS Bill's username one time.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ditto. Also...

Portugese: Quem cala consente.
Translation: That not says a word, consent.
Intended phrase: Silence is consent.

Next time someone talks about how better things were in the past, remind them that this was apparently common enough to appear in a phrasebook.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Something for a man for all seasons, I'd wager.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Buckets posted:

If U want it?
It's 4 sale ok
If U need 2 ask
ask

Please tell me they are doing a 2017 calendar for next year. By the time I heard of the 2016 one they were sold out.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Elfface posted:

Ditto. Also...

Portugese: Quem cala consente.
Translation: That not says a word, consent.
Intended phrase: Silence is consent.

Next time someone talks about how better things were in the past, remind them that this was apparently common enough to appear in a phrasebook.

There's a Latin proverb "Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit" (He who is silent, when he ought to have spoken and was able to, is taken to agree). It's pretty much related to “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Elfface posted:

"Hey, is it ok if I come home from work a little later and order a pizza for the kids instead of cooking?"
"..."
(Three hours later) "Hm. Ok. Silence is consent, I guess."

There's massive scope for the use that expression outside of any rapey context.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I love that book and the poor translations

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lost it at Torpedo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"Welcome to Phishy Phil's! What can we catch for you today?"
"I'd like some wolf, and she'll have a platter of shelled hedgehog."

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 13:34 on Nov 2, 2016

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Aren't some whales closely related to wolves, which is probably represented in their Latin name, and thus the weird translation?

And torpedo as a word has it's origins in fish so I can get that one.

But hedge-hog? maybe a sea urchin thing?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Lost it at Torpedo.

A torpedo is actually a fish though, where did you think the name of the thing that goes bang comes from?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Trades.
Starch-maker
Barber
Coffeeman
Porkshop-keeper
Cartwright
Tinker, a brasier
Nailer
Porter
Chinaman
Founder
Grave-digger
Tradesman
Stockingmender
Lochsmith

Defects of the body.
A blind
A left handed
A lame
An ugly
A bald
A squint-eyed
A deaf

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A torpedo is actually a fish though, where did you think the name of the thing that goes bang comes from?

assumed invented by maybe a john or jane torpedo.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

But this guy was referring to the sandwich, see, and

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Trades.
Starch-maker
Barber
Coffeeman
Porkshop-keeper
Cartwright
Tinker, a brasier
Nailer
Porter
Chinaman
Founder
Grave-digger
Tradesman
Stockingmender
Lochsmith

Defects of the body.
A blind
A left handed
A lame
An ugly
A bald
A squint-eyed
A deaf
Are we writing a phrasebook or a role-playing game?

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Boneitis posted:

Funnily enough, this is actually a real book, created by real publishers. English as She is Spoke was written by a Portuguese man in the nineteenth century as an attempt at a Portuguese-English phrase book, despite the fact that the author, Pedro Carolino, had never heard English or traveled to an English speaking country. He did it by rote translation from Portuguese-English dictionaries and countless hours spent writing sheer and utter nonsense. Futility Closet did a podcast on it, and it includes several excerpts from the book, many of which make no sense at all.

https://www.futilitycloset.com/2015/05/18/podcast-episode-58-english-as-she-is-spoke/

The Wikipedia article also has some info

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_As_She_Is_Spoke

Better than that, he actually took a Portuguese-French phrasebook and translated it with a French-English dictionary, so there's an extra language between the Portuguese and English.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm a fan of "A sorte of fish" in the fish listing.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

tiercel posted:

Better than that, he actually took a Portuguese-French phrasebook and translated it with a French-English dictionary, so there's an extra language between the Portuguese and English.

Was any part of this book in portuguese though? Like I"m imagining a korean phrasebook written entirely in an english phoenetic transliterated hangul and what the gently caress am I supposed to do with this? I can't even comprehend the categories on each page? This book only exists to make people in the native language laugh at it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Phrasebooks vary in style but this one was poorly made, the sections you're not seeing (at the front of the original book) contain the Portuguese. All the images on the internet of it are from reprints that omitted those for the purposes of mockery.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

dpack_1 posted:

Possibly a porpoise, which means sea-hog in latin? More obvious in its older name mereswine.

To confuse matters further, in some European countries both porpoises and guinea pigs are called marsvin/meerschwein/etc.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

dpack_1 posted:

Got it in one: "ouriço do mar" = "hedgehog of the sea" = sea urchin. Same in German: "Seeigel."

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

dpack_1 posted:

Aren't some whales closely related to wolves, which is probably represented in their Latin name, and thus the weird translation?

Their closest relatives are even-toed ungulates, they're pretty distantly related to carnivores. Orcas are often called wolves of the sea, though.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Also lobos do mar, which is Portuguese for seals, literally wolves of the sea. For they howl, you see.

Mock the Cross
Sep 4, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Petite feet. A feminine step, you could say.

I wonder what it sounds like when he walks in the room?

Please stop trying shoehorning your weird fetishes into every conversation, it's distracting.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

I love the Videlectrix guys! Did you see their new video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ7-TKdt9BU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mock the Cross posted:

Please stop trying shoehorning your weird fetishes into every conversation, it's distracting.

It's okay, I laughed :hfive:

• Locked thread