Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I have that happen too. Never been able to really nail down what triggers it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I want to play as the new dwarf lord but I also don't want to go to the mall and be in the GW store and risk someone seeing me there

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Pendent posted:

I have that happen too. Never been able to really nail down what triggers it.

Do you have a camera mod or debug cam enabled?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
kinda interesting how before warhammer it was good of CA to remove walls from the majority of settlements and the chaos of the warhammer campaign is so intense that the old-school mechanic is pro-actively adopted by most players

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well they don't have any non walled city fights anymore, just field battles.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do you have a camera mod or debug cam enabled?

Literally zero mods. I like the game a ton straight out of the box

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Necroskowitz posted:

I'm curious how they would work in Total War. Don't they canonically only control one city? Would they work like Skarsnik where they can only produce Chaos dwarves in Zharr-Naggrund and hobgoblins everywhere else?

They'd need to be released alongside Ogres too just so they have someone else to interact with in that part of the world.

They own a few forts and mines scattered across the Dark Lands. I could see them with a two-three settlement province but with some big stuff in the capital. Wood Elves are in a similar situation where they have one place they always hang out, so I'll wait to see how they're implemented.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well they don't have any non walled city fights anymore, just field battles.

One thing I wish they'd do is add villages and stuff to the map rotations. Just little hamlets with a couple dozen destructible structures and so on. Or expansive graveyards with crypts in Sylvania, etc. I liked maneuvering through lanes, setting structures on fire, and some of that other stuff from Rome 2, Empire, and so on.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Mans posted:

kinda interesting how before warhammer it was good of CA to remove walls from the majority of settlements and the chaos of the warhammer campaign is so intense that the old-school mechanic is pro-actively adopted by most players

The racial mechanic is the biggest driver of this imo. Since the majority of enemies in the campaign will raze your settlement rather than occupy it like in previous games, it encourages a more defensive mindset for the non-Horde based factions. A potentially interesting idea for me would be for them to double down on it for the Lizardmen or High Elves. Make it so that razed/sacked cities can't be improved or colonized. In fluff this would work for the former because they reproduce from magical spawning pools they don't know how to recreate, the latter due to low population. It could be a potentially better executed survival mechanic a la what Atilla and the climate change were supposed to be. Alternatively it could just be loving annoying, like Atilla ended up being.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lassitude posted:

One thing I wish they'd do is add villages and stuff to the map rotations. Just little hamlets with a couple dozen destructible structures and so on. Or expansive graveyards with crypts in Sylvania, etc. I liked maneuvering through lanes, setting structures on fire, and some of that other stuff from Rome 2, Empire, and so on.

Yeah this is something that surprised me in its absence given the polish of the rest of the game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh I don't like how the AI gets to cheat newly conquered settlements into fully kitted out tier 3 towns. A free garrison of 16 high tech units is too much to deal with in some early campaigns.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I picked up 2 extra codes for "my kid's friends". When I get home I'll PM them to the next two people who post in the thread that they want one and can get PMs.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd like one

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Don't give it to me I just wanted to post

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'd love one

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Okay. PM inbound.

The Duggler posted:

Don't give it to me I just wanted to post

:wtc: Okay?

Pendent posted:

I'd love one

Okay. PM inbound.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah this is something that surprised me in its absence given the polish of the rest of the game.
I kind of miss Shogun's controllable areas too, though they'd be hell to balance given how poor some factions are at holding ground vs attacking. Could be a neat campaign effect for some specific battles and leave it out of MP altogether.

E:. Actually, now that I try to remember, did that even happen? I thought I remembered that if you controlled some areas on the battle map your troops got a bonus or could win you the battle as a way to combat corner camping, but now I'm not sure.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 2, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is it me or does sacking settlements no longer reduce their tier level by one? Or is that a mod I'm using?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A mod!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I think it might be a workaround for the Tier 4 Settlement mod's bug where knocking a T4 settlement back to T2 or lower would render you unable to use the third slot until you got back to T4, which really sucks. Thanks!

On a sidenote: Skulkers are insanely clutch and are a key component of any Gobbo army. Even if fully upgraded Night Goblins are more efficient against lightly armored enemies, Skulkers coming with great AP damage right out of the box, a passive buff while winning combat, and the ridiculously useful Smoke Bomb keeps them relevant against any race in the game save for Savage Orcs. A Skulker unit paired with Squigs can beat basic heavy cavalry and finish them off thanks to Smoke Bombs; they're absolutely fantastic!

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Another day, another mod.

I'm quite proud of this one, simple yet something that took ages to get working:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=792140350

Kemmler can now also learn "Awaken from the Grave" instead of Raise Dead on the grand campaign map and summon himself a unit of Grave Guards or a Wight King if overcharged!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 2, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Today I will try and make the Black Orcs with Choppa+shield mod I planned. Wish me luck on this daunting but probably simple task!

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Got a 20% off code to give away if anyone doesn't have the game yet.

P6X9X-NN3TP-C9BVT

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I kind of descended into Dark Souls 3 for a while after Grim & Grave came out.

Can anyone tell me what I missed?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Deified Data posted:

I kind of descended into Dark Souls 3 for a while after Grim & Grave came out.

Can anyone tell me what I missed?

A similar expansion for Greenskins and Dwarves, but both of the new sub-factions with their new lords have their own grand campaign starting points.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Getting a little bored of the usual factions and thought I might try a Bretonnia campaign mod. There are a couple up on the workshop - has anyone here played one they'd recommend?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I would imagine they'll be out in a week or two so I'd say wait.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Wait, really? This is the first I've heard of a release date.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

new phone who dis posted:

A similar expansion for Greenskins and Dwarves, but both of the new sub-factions with their new lords have their own grand campaign starting points.

Yeah, I see you can play them as separate factions. Do the new gobbo units sort of make up for Skarsnik's inability to field orcs until he takes Eight Peaks? The thought of fielding an all-goblin army sounds hilarious and amazing.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, I see you can play them as separate factions. Do the new gobbo units sort of make up for Skarsnik's inability to field orcs until he takes Eight Peaks? The thought of fielding an all-goblin army sounds hilarious and amazing.

Squigs and nasty skulkers are both good but what makes it work is the goblin stat boosts that Skarsnik and the goblin war bosses can get in the leadership row. Getting all six make even regular spear goblins into decent infantry.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Any big patches that largely change how the game played a couple months ago?

pink flag
May 16, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Skulkers are amazingly effective flankers. You absolutely need a lot of them to beat the early game dwarfs. Regular goblin spears aren't good for much besides getting stuck in and routing shortly afterwards against dwarf warriors. Squigs are pretty awesome because they have armor piercing. Getting your squigs into the enemy flanks without getting shot to bits first can be a little tricky because Balegar loves to run around with 6-8 units of rangers. Skarsnik also starts with an Arachnorock to help out and can fend for himself pretty well. The army-wide poison attack trait that Skarsnik and the new Night Goblin lords get makes an all-goblin army pretty serviceable before you start going up against VC and Chaos.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Deified Data posted:

Regiments of Renown have drastically changed how the campaign works for me. Having a list of elite units buyable in one turn like raise dead makes defending settlements easier and reinforcing armies in the field quicker. There are also a few of them that are serious powerhouses.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Apparently there's a phone # you can call for a code if you can't get to a store.

http://www.game-debate.com/news/21645/free-grombrindal-code-for-total-war-warhammer-makes-players-go-to-actual-stores

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Deified Data posted:

There's a cap on healing now, so you can't quite do the same invincible lord or VC shenanigans. That's either a big change or a small change depending on how you played before.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Getting a little bored of the usual factions and thought I might try a Bretonnia campaign mod. There are a couple up on the workshop - has anyone here played one they'd recommend?

I used Lokerians, it's very solid.

I also added in the Waywatchers because I'm excited for woodstock elves. They're probably too powerful but it was fun as heck.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Can the new sub-factions get confederated by their races' main faction?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah, that dwarf dude got confederated by the main dwarves.

I still think it's kind of lame how the more you beat on the "main" faction the more likely it seems they'll confederate. At least it tells you roughly how well they're doing if you don't have map info I guess

pink flag
May 16, 2009

RentACop posted:

Yeah, that dwarf dude got confederated by the main dwarves.

I still think it's kind of lame how the more you beat on the "main" faction the more likely it seems they'll confederate. At least it tells you roughly how well they're doing if you don't have map info I guess

This is the most frustrating part of the campaign for me, on Very Hard where every one settlement seems to equal 1.5 stacks for the AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So what's with me suddenly taking attrition on all unowned land? I don't remember this ever being a thing, especially since it was one of the main reasons I didn't like playing VC. Is it a Skarsnik thing? Is it because I lost my one and only settlement as I fast-tracked to Karak Eight Peaks?

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 3, 2016

• Locked thread