Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Strobe posted:

I'm definitely going to be using this next time I fly, I've decided. I just wish there was a 1 point generic astromech with any defensive use whatsoever.

An astro that worked like accuracy corrector to cancel all dice results and add a single evade with no opportunity for future mods on that roll would be kinda nice on an X Wing. I'd take that on a generic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's the kind of astro that I would never use on anything with Sensor Cluster, but it'd be a good thing for generics. I was thinking something along the lines of flat out improving defense, with something like "Once per round when defending, you may spend a focus token to add one [evade] result to your roll." Or maybe "Once per round when defending, if you spent a focus token you may add one [evade] result to your roll."

Burst defense, but only really good versus one attack.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
The more I both play and think about it, PS9 PTL/BB-8 Poe seems like he's just too expensive to use at 42 points, although Primed Thrusters are super cool on him; at 41 he slots up beside Chubby Rey perfectly, although PS10 and PS9 with no bid is scary? In this meta environment? I'm assuming.

Poe Dameron (33)
Black One (1)
Push The Limit (3)
BB-8 (2)
Autothrusters (2)
41pts.

Rey (45)
Millennium Falcon (1)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Finn (5)
Kanan Jarrus (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
59pts.

Total: 100pts

I'm probably not blazing a new trail here with these ideas, but the thinking I've been having goes: PS9 Poe is a good option for the end-game, but his offense just isn't cutting it at that point total in the current metagame. Rey, on the other hand, is feasibly an offensive power-house. I wish I had the space for Primed Thrusters and Kanan on Rey and the Engine Upgrade instead of Smuggling Compartment + Glitterstim, but c'est la vie, Rebel stuff actually costs points. Sadface.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Honestly I would ditch the Engine Upgrade on Rey. On a large base ship boost is great for arc dodging, but you're covering so much ground with it that actually getting things into arc is harder than you might expect. Smuggling Compartment + Glitterstim and Primed Thrusters has enough of an effect on the game as is that I think it's worth it.

Mind you, I'd also run Adaptability PS9 Rey with a 1 point bid, since I'm not actually sure getting up to PS 10 helps you very much in the current meta. Imperial lists seem to have gravitated toward PS 8 ships, and on the Rebel side the only stuff that reliably gets up above PS 9 are my XXX lists, new Poe or maybe new Han?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Strobe posted:

But you can't use Experimental Interface in that set-up or Opportunist can't happen. You'd probably be better off dropping EI and putting Glitterstim on there for the Illicit instead, or using Expose and Glitterstim with no regard for stress whatsoever. Or use Luke instead of Gunner (also a bizarre instance of where that would be not-terrible).

Correction. Put Wingman on Jan Ors, and you can set off Experimental Interface after moving, swipe the stress off with Jan's Wingman, and then still use Opportunist on the attack. Requires you to keep Jan closer to Han, but it'll set it off. Will look something like this, with a Luke swapout

Han Solo (46)
Opportunist (4)
Luke Skywalker (7)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)
Black Market Slicer Tools (1)
Smuggling Compartment (0)
Experimental Interface (3)
Millennium Falcon (TFA) (1)

Jan Ors (25)
Wingman (2)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Nien Nunb (1)

Total: 100

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Strobe posted:

Honestly I would ditch the Engine Upgrade on Rey. On a large base ship boost is great for arc dodging, but you're covering so much ground with it that actually getting things into arc is harder than you might expect. Smuggling Compartment + Glitterstim and Primed Thrusters has enough of an effect on the game as is that I think it's worth it.

Mind you, I'd also run Adaptability PS9 Rey with a 1 point bid, since I'm not actually sure getting up to PS 10 helps you very much in the current meta. Imperial lists seem to have gravitated toward PS 8 ships, and on the Rebel side the only stuff that reliably gets up above PS 9 are my XXX lists, new Poe or maybe new Han?

corran
also i'm drunk

edit; which means i love Poe more than ever he is so handsome
edit2; seriously Oscar Isaac is qt

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

corran
also i'm drunk

edit; which means i love Poe more than ever he is so handsome
edit2; seriously Oscar Isaac is qt

You're not lying.

About any of it.

fake edit: I don't call him Poe "Hot" Dameron because it's an Uptown Funk reference.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

It's the kind of astro that I would never use on anything with Sensor Cluster, but it'd be a good thing for generics. I was thinking something along the lines of flat out improving defense, with something like "Once per round when defending, you may spend a focus token to add one [evade] result to your roll." Or maybe "Once per round when defending, if you spent a focus token you may add one [evade] result to your roll."

Burst defense, but only really good versus one attack.

It would actually be kinda insane mixed with threepio on an arc, depending on the cost. If it was appropriately costed it would probably be too much for a generic.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

I wonder if I could pull a full donut with Ello Asty in my starting spot before getting shot to hell. Just for fun before the real Tokyo Drift begins.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

These guys local to me are kickstarting an xwing card holder thing: http://kck.st/2ehAXHa

Disclaimer: I know none of them personally and I'm not getting a cut. I pledged because I want one.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Chemmy posted:

These guys local to me are kickstarting an xwing card holder thing: http://kck.st/2ehAXHa

Disclaimer: I know none of them personally and I'm not getting a cut. I pledged because I want one.

Well, there's no way that it will fit 50% of scum lists.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Anyone know why we didn't get a preview this week?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Some Numbers posted:

Anyone know why we didn't get a preview this week?

FFG was stuffing their face with candy

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Busy with Worlds.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Because FFG isn't on a schedule where they are required to do previews if they dun wanna.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

AndyElusive posted:

Because FFG isn't on a schedule where they are required to do previews if they dun wanna.

Even if they were we aren't in on the inner workings of their content producers

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I tweaked my TIE Fighter swarm a bit to take advantage of Maarek's crit ability.

“Omega Leader” (24)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Swarm Tactics (2)

Maarek Stele (34)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Marksmanship (3)

Black Squadron Pilot (17)
Ruthlessness (3)

Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)

Academy Pilot (12)

I also saw that Dash Rendar was a thing so made this probably terrible group to use tractor beams and ions and poo poo to slam myself/others into obstacles constantly.
Services Rendar'd

“Leebo” YT-2400 Freighter(34)
Veteran Instincts(1)
Tractor beam(1)
Ion Pulse Missiles(3)
Dash Rendar(2)

Keyan Farlander B-Wing(29)
Fire-Control System(2)
Tractor beam(1)
Flechette Torpedoes(2)
Flechette Torpedoes(2)
Push the Limit(3)

Prototype Pilot A-Wing(17)
Proton Rockets(3)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
...............Did I slip into crazy town?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Gildiss posted:

“Omega Leader” (24)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Swarm Tactics (2)

Run Omega Leader with Juke and Comm Relay, both cards come in the TIE/FO blister. The idea is to evade early and keep it, and then you target lock someone which means they can't spend tokens and you flip one of their successful defense rolls to an eyeball which they can't change because of OL's ability with Juke.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

...............Did I slip into crazy town?

The good or the bad part?

Also thanks for that with the Omega Leader, will use that. So many cards that I haven't read yet, hard to find the combos.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I think someone told you this already but nobody runs TIE Advanceds without cards from the Raider huge ship. A normal Advanced build would be something like:

Darth Vader (29)
Juke (2) or Veteran Instincts (1) or Adaptability (0)
TIE/x1 (Raider card)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1) (Raider card)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total of 34/35/36 depending on your elite talent. Just proxy x1 and the ATC, no one cares if you own the cards unless you're playing in a tournament.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
With Cluster Missiles I'd honestly go Fire Control System instead and keep the points even with the possibility for a TL on the second attack.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, lots of options.
Pretty sure the guy we play with has drat near everything though so how about this?
Had to squeeze out a few extra points for the Comm Relay.

“Omega Leader” (21)
Comm Relay (3)
Juke (2)

Maarek Stele (27)
TIE/x1 (0)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Proton Rockets (3)
Expert Handling (2)

Black Squadron Pilot (14)
Ruthlessness (3)

Academy Pilot (12) x 2

E: poo poo that Advanced Targeting too good. Had to fit it in.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 2, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
I'd replace expert handling since the tie/ad has a native barrel roll really.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'd replace expert handling since the tie/ad has a native barrel roll really.

That's to avoid locks, which my coworkers have huge boners for.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you use Darth Vader with engine upgrade the idea is you take two actions every turn and with veteran instincts you move last. If you do a reasonable job guessing where they're going you can arc dodge which means you use your boost and barrel roll to make sure you have a shot and they don't. 29pts for Stele + Expert Handling is way worse than 29 points for Vader.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Let your coworker target lock all he wants. Drop the prockets and expert handling on Stele and give him Veteran Instincts. Give Omega Bleeder a Stealth Device and take out the Black Squadron TIE with Ruthlessness and put in Howlrunner to beef up your whole swarm.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TIE Bomber: Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE Shuttle (0)
Systems officer (2)
Fleet Officer (3)

TIE Shuttle (0)
Systems officer (2)
Fleet Officer (3)

TIE Shuttle (0)
Systems officer (2)
Fleet Officer (3)

TIE Bomber: · Tomax Bren (24)
Crack Shot (1)
TIE Shuttle (0)
· General Hux (5)
Systems officer (2)

Seems fun until everyone gets bumped.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

Let your coworker target lock all he wants. Drop the prockets and expert handling on Stele and give him Veteran Instincts. Give Omega Bleeder a Stealth Device and take out the Black Squadron TIE with Ruthlessness and put in Howlrunner to beef up your whole swarm.

Cool, went with this. Think it can stand on that and be a terrifying force. I considered Vader but it feels too cliche.

Also is that gimmick rear end Dash Rendar squad viable? Is dragging people into asteroids and poo poo as fun and dickish as it seems on paper?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tractor Beams are a lot of fun! If I'm going heavy on them, I just take four B-wings with Fire Control System and the Tractor. I've never seen a YT-2400 build that was decent besides Super/Ultra Dash. Eaden Vrill is near useless and Leebo's ability is "If you're losing, you might lose slightly less worse."

I'd love to see other builds though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Outrider 2400 with a tractor beam

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Outrider 2400 with a tractor beam

I'm running this just to gently caress with people, now.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Thinking of bringing this to casual play tomorrow:

Norra (ARC-170)
-PTL
-BB-8
-Kyle Katarn
-Alliance Overhaul
-Engine Upgrade

Nera Dantels (B-Wing)
-Deadeye
-Proton Torpedoes
-Extra Munitions
-Fire Control System
-Guidance Chips

Bandit Squad (Z-95)

Bandit Squad (Z-95)

It comes in right at 100 points. Is there a better ship for 24 points to replace the two Z-95s?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Free up a point (Proton > Plasma torps?) and make it Biggs?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ConfusedUs posted:

Free up a point (Proton > Plasma torps?) and make it Biggs?

I like that. Alternately, naked TLT Y or free the points for stressbot.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

What is the "canonical" engine glow color for T-70s? About the same as 65s?

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

What is the "canonical" engine glow color for T-70s? About the same as 65s?

Still red looks like - you can see them briefly here (around 40s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHtiEi52KPY

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

I haven't had time to follow the thread in the past few days, but if anyone is going to worlds come say hey! I'm playing team epic, 1A and free all day saturday. I'll be the idiot in a black shirt that says "CAROLINA KRAYTS", or "BACK TO BACK WORLD WAR CHAMPS" during team epic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Brunas posted:

I haven't had time to follow the thread in the past few days, but if anyone is going to worlds come say hey! I'm playing team epic, 1A and free all day saturday. I'll be the idiot in a black shirt that says "CAROLINA KRAYTS", or "BACK TO BACK WORLD WAR CHAMPS" during team epic.

Ask D if Shell Hell or the MacAttack special was the winner from Tuesday's BillyCon. I didn't get the full debriefing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ill be there in the cubs hat sobbing if the cubs lose tonight. If they win say hi ill prob be in a better mood!

• Locked thread