Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Which Battleships are people building/aiming to game with first? I've been back and forth on my choices and am probably gonna go with a Beijing-Class first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am going to have to get some games in, but I see myself building one and magnetizing it. Although I am not magnetizing my cruisers and frigates, i think it makes sense for PHR battleships.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

dexefiend posted:

I am going to have to get some games in, but I see myself building one and magnetizing it. Although I am not magnetizing my cruisers and frigates, i think it makes sense for PHR battleships.

I'm pretty sure any of the battleships except maybe the Shaltari one could be magnetized. Their chunky construction makes it easier.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I'm not super sold on the worth of Battleships yet, but I have not had a chance to actually play either... sooo... ya...

Thank said I'm interested in the PHR one with the Dark Matter Cannon because I think thats cool and it has a pretty good chance of criting and getting that roll on the crippling table to do extra damage. The Torpedo one seems less appealing since its crippling shots can be be stopped by close action weapons.

UCM wise I'm somewhat interested in the New York. I have not really looked much at the Shaltari or the Scourge ones, but was planning on getting 1 battleship for each faction eventually.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pash posted:

was planning on getting 1 battleship for each faction eventually.

Same because they look cool.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Same because they look cool.

Also because I'm insane and have a compulsion to collect every faction.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pash posted:

Also because I'm insane and have a compulsion to collect every faction.

Also same.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Dispatch email!

So excited for tomorrow!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Dispatch email!

So excited for tomorrow!

Jealous, still no word on either of my orders.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Grey Hunter posted:

Dispatch email!

So excited for tomorrow!

I may be coming over with a box to get my part of your pledge! :p

Not that I will have a rulebook until mine turns up though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pash posted:

I'm not super sold on the worth of Battleships yet, but I have not had a chance to actually play either... sooo... ya...

Thank said I'm interested in the PHR one with the Dark Matter Cannon because I think thats cool and it has a pretty good chance of criting and getting that roll on the crippling table to do extra damage. The Torpedo one seems less appealing since its crippling shots can be be stopped by close action weapons.

UCM wise I'm somewhat interested in the New York. I have not really looked much at the Shaltari or the Scourge ones, but was planning on getting 1 battleship for each faction eventually.
The New York is super cool but once those torps are gone its damage output plummets through the floor. Though the Beijing is reliant on WF to get poo poo done as well as using its F(N) Arc successfully.

Might magnetize the Battleship, might not because I'm a lazy bugger who hates magnetising.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

The New York is super cool but once those torps are gone its damage output plummets through the floor. Though the Beijing is reliant on WF to get poo poo done as well as using its F(N) Arc successfully.

Might magnetize the Battleship, might not because I'm a lazy bugger who hates magnetising.

I got a 2 player starter box because I was tired of waiting and the UCM at least are really easy to magnetize. Will probably try to magnetize as much as i can for battleships as I think a lot would have to change for me to ever really want 2 in a list at a time.

One thing I actually like about the New York is the lack of fire power after the torps are gone actually. Its really hard to kill before it launches them, but then your opponent still has to deal with it after they are gone or get pounded by 5 bombers every turn for the rest of the game, while it sits on a critical location basically guaranteeing you control it. Meanwhile I look at the Beijing and think, it has to go weapons free to do stuff, then everything in my opponents list is going to target it and blow it out of the sky.

They have to deal with both either way, but the New York gets its major work done before they have a chance.

Also for the Beijing I'm concerned that it might be more worth it to take a Rio and a Berlin instead. Overall you end up being tougher and faster, have almost the same amount of shots (2 less of the good mass drivers), a little worse scan, but save 42 points. Granted you can then take multiple cripping rolls, but the flexibility of the others might be worth it.

Pash fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 1, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Flipswitch posted:

For me magnetizing is the lazy way. One ship plus magnetizing and extra bits is still less time and effort than painting and assembling two ships.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah the one thing about the New York is that it's really versatile. I'm gonna try both for sure and play around with them, I do like the idea of the gun battery battleship ploughing forward with Jakarta keeping it alive from CAWs/Launch Assets. My one off side on the NY is that UCM Launch assets are the weakest, but then you'll be running Seattles anyway alongside a New York and at that point concentrating up the bombers does wonders. I don't think anything other than the Jakarta has Aegis right now either, so it forces people to use fighters.

Bistromatic posted:

For me magnetizing is the lazy way. One ship plus magnetizing and extra bits is still less time and effort than painting and assembling two ships.
Quiet you and go back to complaining about your kickstarter on FB messenger. :smuggo:

To be fair magnetising Battleships does make sense.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It's not clear where the UCM battleship's chassis changes between the New York and Beijing just yet. Presumably they have a different head section - how easy it will be to magnetise will depend on how much weight the joint has to hold.

Have Hawk said the battleships will come in single packs with both sets of parts, though? We might find they get sold separately.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Loxbourne posted:

It's not clear where the UCM battleship's chassis changes between the New York and Beijing just yet. Presumably they have a different head section - how easy it will be to magnetise will depend on how much weight the joint has to hold.

Have Hawk said the battleships will come in single packs with both sets of parts, though? We might find they get sold separately.

I am pretty sure one pack will make all variants. Dave specifically mentioned magnetising options on the BoW reveal (when the models were first shown off post-gen con) and Hawk are repackaging Dropzone units to reduce the number of packs that retail needs to hold, do it would not make much sense to split these up.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The places that have the battleships for preorder also describe them as one kit for all variants.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

The top crest is different along with the body of the prow.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Sadly I am still waiting for my shipping notification...I must have missed the magic special combination of bits that are right next to each other in the warehouse.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Sadly I am still waiting for my shipping notification...I must have missed the magic special combination of bits that are right next to each other in the warehouse.

I used the pledge manager to order extra stuff twice so I'm assuming that I'll be absolutely last.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Loxbourne posted:

The non-torpedo ones you can just magnatize the guns (railguns to giant bomb cannons). Not sure about the torpedo one; it might just be a swap between the laser end and the torpedo end or it could be a brand new front end.
The shaltari battleship you don't need magnets, only the top part is different and they demonstrated how you can swap them in one of the Beasts of War videos if I remember.
All battleships should be getting built out of one kit, one battleship per box.

EDIT: Keep in mind that the battlecruisers sound like they are getting a totally brand new chassis, and we haven't seen the corvettes yet!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 2, 2016

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Hawk sent out an update. They failed to get everything packed by the end of the month but say they are close. They say they hope to have everything shipped in the next 2 weeks. So basically they hope to have stuff to everyone a month after retail... I am assuming this person will be me also, like the rest of you.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Is it bad that I like how the reason given for this further delay is that two packers have put their backs out?

Not terribly impressed that I might not see my stuff until the middle of the month, or that even then it will be missing things like the full sized maps which have no ETA. Hopefully the extra time means better quality stuff at least.

Are the suggested builds for PHR and Shaltari fleet boxes a good and proper use of my ships?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think the PHR one is great. I like the Theseus more than the Orion. Its fast enough to keep up with the battlecruisers.

Ikarus and Hector are also going to be used in every game.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Assuming no further delays, a month after retail and two months after the first orders were sent out is a rather unimpressive show.

Late hasn't been a problem, but it is a little grating to miss intro days and the first few weeks of our league.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Ugleb posted:

Is it bad that I like how the reason given for this further delay is that two packers have put their backs out?

Not terribly impressed that I might not see my stuff until the middle of the month, or that even then it will be missing things like the full sized maps which have no ETA. Hopefully the extra time means better quality stuff at least.

Are the suggested builds for PHR and Shaltari fleet boxes a good and proper use of my ships?

Cant really say with the Shaltari as I have looked at their rules the least, but you will want their mothership at the very least. PHR are pretty good and I like those ships, but I am going to be magnatizing to be able to swap stuff. It would be kinda insane to try to magnatize everything for the PHR cruisers, but just doing the broad sides and the mouth should not be too hard. The issue is that each cruiser kit only lets you build 3 mouth sections: the Theseus, a regular cruiser (burnthrough or turret front) and one heavy/troopship. But i think with some good planning you can end up with enough of any particular jaw combo.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like this is a perfect example of a success-cursed kickstarter. Things like "our warehouse is too full to move around in, oops."

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Pash posted:

Hawk sent out an update. They failed to get everything packed by the end of the month but say they are close. They say they hope to have everything shipped in the next 2 weeks. So basically they hope to have stuff to everyone a month after retail... I am assuming this person will be me also, like the rest of you.

Don't worry, between how shipping here works (5 days in transit, HA!) and knowing my luck, I'd bet I'll be the absolute last to receive mine. Also, I sent an email with "URGENT" to request an address change and was told "No, wait for it to be shipped and contact the courier." So, yeah, my address isn't going to be changed and there's a chance that it'll ship here after I move out. Awesome...

I guess I should've ordered a starter set from retail, I would've already had it built and painted.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Pash posted:

Cant really say with the Shaltari as I have looked at their rules the least, but you will want their mothership at the very least. PHR are pretty good and I like those ships, but I am going to be magnatizing to be able to swap stuff. It would be kinda insane to try to magnatize everything for the PHR cruisers, but just doing the broad sides and the mouth should not be too hard. The issue is that each cruiser kit only lets you build 3 mouth sections: the Theseus, a regular cruiser (burnthrough or turret front) and one heavy/troopship. But i think with some good planning you can end up with enough of any particular jaw combo.

Yeah I figure the mothership is a given, I may even end up building a second once I get a feel for things.

I want to look into magnetising for simpler (?) things like PHR broadsides but I think I will be gluing in a lot of it then just switching between the similar variants. I don't want to end up tentatively pushing around models barely holding together before they crumble apart mid-game. I think there is a fine line between making the most of your stuff and just buying more models for the sake of practicality.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I was able to magnetise my UCM easily but failed horribly on the PHR cruisers. The peg for the lower jaw pretty much has to be entirely drilled out.

That said, my shipping notification has arrived at last, so tomorrow I'll have lots of opportunity to experiment!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Am building some space stations for my LGS as I got a few sprues thrown at me by them/hawk. I want to build a few Homeworld style, like space scaffolding so I ton of concept art saved for ideas. Anyone got any ideas like this or places I can look? The BSG Scorpion Docks are another example I wouldn't mind trying to recreate.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Star trek maybe? EVE online has had a few bits like that but could be hard to find.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Minmatar stations are actually a good shout, probably Caldari ones too!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Man the kickstarter page is toxic at this point. Anyone who finds it is just gonna find a pit of negativity.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I didn't even realise you could comment on Kickstarters, is it as bad as the FB page? KS backers are such babies.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

I didn't even realise you could comment on Kickstarters, is it as bad as the FB page? KS backers are such babies.

Believe it or not, the Kickstarter page comments are worse.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Holy poo poo, so much boiled piss.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Flipswitch posted:

Am building some space stations for my LGS as I got a few sprues thrown at me by them/hawk. I want to build a few Homeworld style, like space scaffolding so I ton of concept art saved for ideas. Anyone got any ideas like this or places I can look? The BSG Scorpion Docks are another example I wouldn't mind trying to recreate.

Try Ravenstar Studios, they've got a range that sounds like it's right up your alley. They also used to do an excellent Mobile Repair Dock on request, but I don't know if they still make it.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
After being introduced to the game by a friend, me and another buddy decided to :getin:. This is my first tabletop, which probably explains why I'm this hooked -so far, I've ordered a (plastic) PHR starter and probably way more blisters than I should have (Zeus, Odin, Triton A1, Helios, 2x Apollos). Unfortunately, almost all of these blisters had parts with miscasts of varying severity and one even came with the wrong weapon. The shop that I ordered from has already sent me replacement parts, so that's good, but my question to you guys is whether I just got really unlucky or if that's about the level of quality control I should expect from the resin models. Except for the PHR infantry which looks horrible in plastic, I fail to see how resin models are supposed to be better than plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Resin lets you do deeper undercuts and use a cheaper mold, so it's mostly useful for low-volume production, aka "most non-GW minis".

I don't see so much in the way of outright miscasts, but trimming a bit of stuff off resin pieces is normal.