Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chunky Monkey posted:

I can just read the spotter's report now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Drone posted:

Weren't they brothers or cousins, too? I vaguely remember that they were in some way related.

I don't know about the ACW but WWI was fought between three cousins

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

simplefish posted:

They were royalty though, and the European monarchies were a teeny bit inbred.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

:discourse:

This dumb clip never fails to make me smile

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

simplefish posted:

Kaiser Wilhelm's really awkward efforts to be pals with Tsar Nicholas are sort of adorable. He used to address his letters to him as "Dearest Nicky" or something like that.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Didn't the Tsar write a really pleading note to King George about shelter from the bolsheviks or something?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

One of our ships takes a bomb hit.

I can't wait to be able to respond.

Looks like the Milne bay ships ran for it – the ones who were left anyway!

I call Captain Kurita into my office. I explain to him that we need to know the threat level at Nomau. He has been given the opportunity by the Emperor himself to scout the area to see what air defences they have ahead of a general attack.

I wish him luck.

Well, that was a month.

In my last game, this was the month where I, the Allies started to pull things back.

While I didn't retake many bases, I took back some high value ones.

Back to this game, air losses were heavier this month due to increased enemy activity. And a few stupid blips.

Its not been a good month for allied forces, losses have been high at 664 points – most of which were packed into sunk ships.

While I lost four ships this month, I've sunk, or confirmed sunk, thirty six Allied vessels!

That's 542 points worth – over a carriers worth!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Drone posted:

Weren't they brothers or cousins, too? I vaguely remember that they were in some way related.

I don't think so. American General James Clinton was the brother of Founding Father George Clinton, but so far as I can tell they were unrelated to British General Henry Clinton.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

PittTheElder posted:

I don't think so. American General James Clinton was the brother of Founding Father George Clinton, but so far as I can tell they were unrelated to British General Henry Clinton.

I think I got confused with General Richard Howe and General Admiral Howe, who were brothers.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

I call Captain Kurita into my office. I explain to him that we need to know the threat level at Nomau. He has been given the opportunity by the Emperor himself to scout the area to see what air defences they have ahead of a general attack.

I wish him luck.

I think Rear Admiral Kurita left a little pissed about you demoting him.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Drone posted:

I think I got confused with General Richard Howe and General Admiral Howe, who were brothers.

What kind of pretentious douchebag names their son "Admiral"?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TildeATH posted:

What kind of pretentious douchebag names their son "Admiral"?

Not even gonna correct my typo because this is sorta hilarious.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Grey Hunter posted:

I wish him luck.

Could be a war-changing decision - in real life Takao Kurita ended up as commander of the Yamato-led battleship force that attacked Taffy 3 in the Battle of Leyte Gulf and was famously driven off by CVEs and a couple destroyers. If he had died earlier in the war and someone else was in command of the Central Force at San Bernardino Straight, imagine how differently the battle for the Philippines could have gone!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

I wish him luck.

But, but WHY are you risking one of your modern Kagero-classes for the mission? You should have given him a Mutsuki-class or something, to truly prove his grit.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
Grey, for the love of God.

You have four lines in here, and you want to compare first the nations and then AI/human factor with other lines, right? So your first choice is to group them so that the comparison is instinctive.

For example, here's one possible scheme:
- Blue solid - Your Japanese points
- Blue dotted - AI Japanese points
Vs.
- Red solid - Your Allied points
- Red dotted - AI Allied pts
There - color differentiates the faction and style whether it's human or AI.

Or if you for some reason have to use solid lines, then maybe:
Dark blue - your Japanese
Light blue - AI Japanese
vs
Dark red - Your Allied
Light red - AI allied

Now the difference is not the shape, but hue. And keep them in the same order in legend as well!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Grey defiantly doesn't pay much attention to the thread complaining about typos and graphs. Really, almost unreadable graphs are a vital part of the experience.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

El Perkele posted:

Please.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

It's taken me a long time and several Grey LP's to come to turns with that's just how he is, ain't no changing it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
You gotta dance with the Grey that brought ya.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, I tried to fix it in Paint, and got as far as the labeling, but the paintbucket tool won't work to change line colors because these are JPEGs and therefore loaded with compression artifacts instead of nice clean non-lossy-compression PNGs.

So I just bodged it by drawing over the line, which looks ugly as gently caress but anyway here:

It isn't necessarily required to put the labels next to the lines, but it helps. I fixed the labels so they used the same ordering of words (AI Allied instead of Allied AI) and used a lighter color of the main one for each AI line.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

El Perkele posted:

The Graph of Amontillado.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Well, I tried to fix it in Paint...
What kind of shameful grogmap graph nerd doesn't represent Japan with red :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jaramin posted:

I would have had to draw over all four lines to do that. Also, Red/Green colorblindness is the most common, so I avoid using both in any graphic. If I did use red, I'd probably take out the green and use blue instead, but then I'd be changing a blue line to red just to change a red line to blue, which you know gently caress it, this works?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Jaramin posted:

A data visualization nerd who knows that red signals too high and you want your colors to be key neutral.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well that too. Honestly I forgot about that, I don't do as much data visualization - one of the other guys on my team is better at it.

Also I would have used a dashed line or something, rather than a lighter color, because a lighter color might not have enough contrast with the background to meet various accessibility requirements; but drawing a dashed line on top of the solid one in Paint would have been an even uglier mess.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Insane multiple year LPs. A shameless honesty when it comes to bad command decisions. The occasional lame pun and now you want grammar, spelling and aesthetics!? For shame.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon posted:

Insane multiple year LPs. A shameless honesty when it comes to bad command decisions. The occasional lame pun and now you want grammar, spelling and aesthetics!? For shame.

Hahaha!

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Grey, a thought: Why not switch your records to a shared Google sheet or something like that? It would only take a few minutes and then the thread can make its own graphs instead of bitching about yours. Harness the power of your audience!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The charts seem fine to me you guys are pretty loving weird

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

What strange universe do you come from where goons don't sperg out over the strangest things?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
You go to war with the Grey you have.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Graphs are fine but you are all suggesting Wrong Changes anyway

Onstead of making Japan hues of say red and the Allies hues of say blue, make GAME 1 deep and light blue (deep for Alloes), and GAME 2 in red (deep for Japan)

Then it's clearer for comparison

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Its a small mercy but a number of those B17s will be written off as operational losses, keep damaging them and they will be written off. They also have high service ratings so with such sustained raids, there are probably just as many b17s being maintained than actually bombing you! Also why are you still using nates?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Guys, Grey's been at this for 6+ years. It's so cute how you think he's going to suddenly realise the error of his ways now.

:allears:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Grey why have you not firevombed vancouver yet? Make my alt history brother less of a smug douche living there.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I wonder if anyone is going to notice when Grey eventually delegates the running of the game to Grey Hunter Jr.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Battle Royale Baby posted:

I wonder if anyone is going to notice when Grey eventually delegates the running of the game to Grey Hunter Jr.

The improvement in spelling will be a dead giveaway.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Misspellings will continue until morale improves.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Have a great month. Get bitched at because of graphs.

I'll have a go at sticking the data onto google docs at some point in the next few days - its on open office atm, and that seems to not want to let me change colours of lines. I really don't think that its a big thing myself, but if people feel so strongly, then I'm okay to let someone sort it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Like I said, graphs are fine