Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That's what I figured. Wonder why they keep being made.

Yeah, at this point all Big Two comics are ads for movies anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd wager that if anything were to increase because of a movie, it would be trade sales on Amazon, and specifically the ones that show up on something like "25 best Batman stories" articles

WickedHate posted:

I mean, why would you? Sure, I love a lot of comics, but if I already didn't give a poo poo about comics and I liked the movies well enough I could just keep watching a few movies every year instead of spending hours upon hours(not to mention cash) reading through every single noteworthy comic. It's effectively a replacement Marvel universe for casual fans. Which, don't get me wrong, I'm fine with, I'm not an elitist, but it's sort of fascinating.

Just speaking personally, there were a bunch of people that started reading Batman trades after The Dark Knight came out. I never bothered to ask them why since it seemed obvious enough: They liked the movie and wanted to check out the source material.

Roth fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 2, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

We're lucky if we sell two copies of them. They are usually ordered low and available on clearance sales for thirty cents a few months later.

Most people who go see the films do not give a poo poo about comics. Like, 99% of them.

Yea, I see them at FCBD events all the time.

And yea, I've certainly seen people buying up trades mostly because they were interested in Thor or Cap or whomever from the movies. This happens with the TV shows too, lots of people buying Flash because they like the show. That's at my LCS that is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're usually done by low tier artists who can only vaguely capture the actor's likeness.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember I had like three copies of this comic adaptation of the 2005 Fantastic Four movie because they were giving them away free with every purchase at HMV at the time.

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember I had like three copies of this comic adaptation of the 2005 Fantastic Four movie because they were giving them away free with every purchase at HMV at the time.

If this is you admitting that you bought three copies of that film then I'm sorry but you will never be forgiven

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Popeahuntis posted:

If this is you admitting that you bought three copies of that film then I'm sorry but you will never be forgiven

Nah, they were giving it away with everything.

Had a thought today that I'd be keen on Marvel Studios adapting Triumph & Torment for the MCU except with Loki instead of Doon.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

And Rucka hasn't said a word about it last I checked.

I'm just psyched to hear that Rucka is back on WW. How is his run? Last I read it was in the middle of Azzerello's run (which I heard did not end well).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Shageletic posted:

I'm just psyched to hear that Rucka is back on WW. How is his run? Last I read it was in the middle of Azzerello's run (which I heard did not end well).

it's literally half good half bad

each issue alternates between two storylines and one is a great new origin story and the other is a bunch of boring bullshit about cheetah

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shageletic posted:

Azz's run is fantastic, who told you that?

Go punch them in their stupid face right now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blockhouse posted:

it's literally half good half bad

each issue alternates between two storylines and one is a great new origin story and the other is a bunch of boring bullshit about cheetah

Yea I sadly dropped it because I did not like the modern story line, and regret just not buying alternating issues.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Rhyno posted:

Azz's run is fantastic, who told you that?

Go punch them in their stupid face right now.
I'll say it all day long, bring it. :colbert: Azz's run is way overrated, somehow offensive and forgettable at the same time. Story was a big, mythologically-inept mess that had Diana mostly fumbling from one mistake to the next while her more expressive (yet somehow more obnoxious) costars made pithy digs at her issue after issue. The ending was hilarious nonsense that had no setup or landing; I almost felt bad for the Finches having to follow this trashfire, if not for the fact that their own stories were somehow worse. One of the clearest examples of a Wonder Woman book written by someone who doesn't actually like Wonder Woman.

If you enjoyed Greg Rucka's old Wonder Woman series at all, aka the one run most often cited by fans as the single best take on the character, you really must read this Rebirth run. At first it seemed like this was just going to be a follow-up to that run in spirit, but now it's looking like a literal follow-up to a lot of the stories that Rucka didn't get to finish last time around. Sasha Bordeaux is back. Veronica Cale is back. I am absolutely expecting Ferdinand to show up at some point. This is, without question, the same Wonder Woman, the same Diana that she was before DC drove that train into hell with an entire decade of bad runs, even before the New 52 came around.

I do agree that the odd-numbered issues, with WW and Cheetah in the jungle, did go a bit too slowly. But that storyline's over now (as of issue #7) and now we're full-tilt going into the main mystery of the storyline. And the Year One story in the even-numbered issues is absolutely delightful.

e: wait what do you mean this isn't the comic thread

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 3, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Azz's Wonder Woman had the best supporting cast, and pretty much nailed everything except the Amazons themselves. The story was good, and the dialogue was divine. It was like Morrison's Batman to me, where I can take a few years off from reading the monthly because you're not going to easily top such an epic run.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Azz's run on ww was good it was just whoever took over after he left that failed

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ah, I see.

Punch BrianWilly in the face.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Like I genuinely cannot comprehend the thought process that makes anyone to relate to the likes of

Zola, aka no one's favorite new character
Orion, the Lovable Misogynist (tm)!
Lennox, who died as he lived: pulling focus

No joking, the greatest joy I'm receiving from comics right now is the idea that Rucka's got his finger on the ol' retcon switch as we speak; from all indications, issue #11's when it'll finally, officially happen. I'll keep y'all posted!

e: Oh, speaking of which: Looks like there'll be a new Wonder Woman trailer out tomorrow, probably attached to Doc Strange, but also probably released online.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 3, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

Ah, I see.

Punch BrianWilly in the face.

I was going to say you're being way harsh, and that my disagreements with him are in good spirits, but then I scrolled down. Now I'm putting him at a close second to the guy at my shop who wrote, and distributed a three page manifesto about how Azz was going to ruin Wonder Woman before the book came out.

Talking to Brian about his Wonder Woman run at the bar at C2E2 last year is probably my favorite con memory. I say it every time the book comes up, but I can't get over how the dialogue sings.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Look, we don't know that everything wrong with BW can't be fixed by a single punch in the face.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
You're gonna need a bigger fist.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair WW wasn't that good. It was okay but man it made some weird choices. Like making the Amzons monsters or the fact that WW herself feels like an afterthought.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Random Comic Movie Tidbits:

- Kevin Feige says that there will be a team up between Iron Man and Doctor Strange in Infinity War and it will continue in movies afterwards. He hinted that they respect each other, but also kind of hate each other for having similar personalities and the magic / tech divide.

(This is my personal speculation, but it looks like they are phasing out the original Avengers solo movies and having them do team-ups and cameos in new character movies.)

- New Wonder Woman trailer today. Gal Gadot posted a teaser on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/GalGadot/status/793845879140552707

- The Flash movie is having a big shakeup.

The character of Iris West (Kiersey Clemons) was cast by former director Rick Famuyiwa. She was a major character but has been reduced to a cameo.

Principal filming is going to be pushed back to Fall 2017 and probably a delay in the release date.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm cool with getting RDJ in all the future Marvel films.

I'll be interested to see how much he's actually in Homecoming.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Azz's Wonder Woman felt like it would have made a really good, horror themed Elseworld comic. While I enjoyed it overall, I also agree with most of BrianWilly's criticisms and am glad that run's terrible depiction of the Amazon's is no longer DC canon.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

New posters ahead of the trailer drop today.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 3, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some dude on Facebook is flipping his poo poo because he just noticed the star on her tiara is not 5 pointed and he thinks it's unAmerican.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Some dude on Facebook is flipping his poo poo because he just noticed the star on her tiara is not 5 pointed and he thinks it's unAmerican.

Lmao, gently caress that guy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teagone posted:

Lmao, gently caress that guy.

That's what I posted but an unsurprising number of people are agreeing with him and also saying Gina Carano should have been cast.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I want this movie to succeed. I've hated the recent DC films, but a wartime Wonder Woman flick holds so much promise that the inevitable failure is gonna suck so hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Why is this Greek character not American enough?!!:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Something fishy about this (((Wonder Woman)))

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rhyno posted:

That's what I posted but an unsurprising number of people are agreeing with him and also saying Gina Carano should have been cast.

I'm tilted every time someone says Gina Carano should have been Wonder Woman.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want this movie to succeed. I've hated the recent DC films, but a wartime Wonder Woman flick holds so much promise that the inevitable failure is gonna suck so hard.

I believe in Patty Jenkins. If there's one movie in the DCEU that is universally loved by fans and critics, it has to be Wonder Woman. It just has to be. :ohdear:

[edit] I'm losing my mind waiting for this trailer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

greatn posted:

Something fishy about this (((Wonder Woman)))

:trumppop:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gina Carano wasn't even a good fighter.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/WonderWomanFilm/status/794207544998666240

[edit] Youtube Embed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8fG0TtVAY

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Trailer looks great!

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Trailer looks great, but can we ever trust another DC trailer after Suicide Squad?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Only bad thing I can say about the trailer was the gratuitous amount of slow-mo shots, but everything else looked solid.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jagermonster posted:

Trailer looks great, but can we ever trust another DC trailer after Suicide Squad?

Hopefully they've learned their lesson 3 movies in. Hopefully.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm too hyped from the T2 trailer to even consider watching another trailer today, gonna save Wondy for tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
So, uh... aside from the Amazons themselves, where are the mythological elements?

• Locked thread