Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Snak posted:

Did I say last night how good Falling Water is?

Falling Water is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There was absolutely nothing wrong with True Detective season 2. It's basically the second Stone Roses album of TV shows. A huge amount of people exaggerating how bad it is for reasons that mostly boil down to "It's different".

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah, there's plenty wrong with it but it's not like, an unmitigated disaster or anything. Probably needed more time in the oven, at the very least.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a kid in The Strain that blows up New York City because he hates his dad. He's worse than Joffrey.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with True Detective season 2. It's basically the second Stone Roses album of TV shows. A huge amount of people exaggerating how bad it is for reasons that mostly boil down to "It's different".

That's more than a little bit of an overcorrection against the criticism, as much as you might have liked that season. When has there ever been any season of any show that had "absolutely nothing wrong" with it?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
People who liked TD S2 are very defensive about it. I thought the story was very boring and I didn't care about the characters. I see no reason to analyze it any more deeply than that.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

precision posted:

I don't remember it being bad, I just remember being bored by it. TD2, that is. TD1 at least managed to entertain me in a WTF sort of way. This is the exact inverse of how I reacted to the first two Stone Roses albums.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bruceski posted:

If there's not mellow theme music while cast members notice the camera and smile, it's not a real intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdXTVhH9rbs

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a kid in The Strain that blows up New York City because he hates his dad. He's worse than Joffrey.
So does that mean they killed all the vampires?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

precision posted:

I had so much love for the first season, loved the tone, loved the characters, everything about it. Season 2 just didn't do it for me. I couldn't get interested and gave up after two episodes so I can't give an honest assessment of what i thought of the season. For myself I was hoping for more of what I loved about season one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

What's that british show that everyone kept shilling here a couple years ago with the horrific first episode body horror, that I could only watch the one episode of? That.

Oh The Strain isn't scary, it's more of a comedy that you grow to love.

The vamps are genuine horrific and the makeup and design is easily the best thing about the show. But it kind of loses its affect after awhile and they're seen a bit too infrequently early on to drive the show.

Although those spider kids still freak me out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Idran posted:

That's more than a little bit of an overcorrection against the criticism, as much as you might have liked that season. When has there ever been any season of any show that had "absolutely nothing wrong" with it?

Northern Exposure, season 3
Rectify, seasons 1 and 3 (and 4, so far)
Cheers, seasons 2 through 6 (approximately)
Taxi, all of it
Seinfeld, seasons 4 and 5 (at minimum)
Fargo, seasons 1 and 2

I mean I could go on... but all of this is personal opinion. I'm not saying it's a matter of objective fact that TD2 had "nothing" wrong with it, but that I personally had no issues with it.

Well that's not true, actually, I had one issue, with the way one of the characters was killed out of nowhere at the end, but all things being equal, it was a minor issue.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
True Detective season 2 isn't really BAD outside of individual super laughable moments like ANGRY MOTORBIKE SCREAM, but even if I was under interrogation I'd be hard-pressed to find anything I thought was GOOD. Including the performances.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

True Detective season 2 isn't really BAD outside of individual super laughable moments like ANGRY MOTORBIKE SCREAM, but even if I was under interrogation I'd be hard-pressed to find anything I thought was GOOD. Including the performances.

Not even the music? Lera Lynn and T Bone Burnett did some amazing work, the the picks of Nick Cave, Warren Ellis (from the Dirty Three), etc were absolutely fantastic.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Any opinions on People of Earth yet? I get a strong Parks and Rec vibe from it, which is a good thing.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I only watched episode 1 (I thought 1 & 2 are out) last night and liked it so far. Gotta see where it goes before I decide if I dig it. Pretty short show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Not even the music? Lera Lynn and T Bone Burnett did some amazing work, the the picks of Nick Cave, Warren Ellis (from the Dirty Three), etc were absolutely fantastic.

I don't really ever notice music, so I'll give you that one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The intro was really good.

Probably not as good as the first season's intro, but still. High point of the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah for sure. That Cohen song is so good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fargo season 2 has at least 1 flaw, and that's the weak connection to season 1 with Hanzee at the end.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Parks Season 3

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

Fargo season 2 has at least 1 flaw, and that's the weak connection to season 1 with Hanzee at the end.

Oof, that's true, I forgot about that.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
TD Season 2 had issues, but I feel like the over-the-top hatred it got was partly due to people turning on Nic Pizolatto on a personal level and pent-up backlash from the finale of Season 1.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Which is dumb, because the S1 finale was great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What was the deal with the yellow king I forgot

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I love the True Detective s1 finale. The two episodes leading up to that aren't great, though.

precision posted:

Oof, that's true, I forgot about that.

Honestly I find almost the entire finale of Fargo s2 to be a bit of a misstep. It's a 90% perfect show and then it falls at the final hurdle. Obviously the Hanzee stuff is the most egregious, but I also find the Ed/Peggy storyline just kind of peters out, and I agree with Occ about the Ted Danson thing being a huge letdown, and the way the scene explaining it just goes over the theme of the season again really obviously.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
People don't understand the difference between references, appropriation, and OMG SHARED UNIVERSE.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

People don't understand the difference between references, appropriation, and OMG SHARED UNIVERSE.

Doesn't matter what you call it, it was kinda stupid and imo super unnecessary.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

The worst part about the King in Yellow stuff in True Detective S1 was all of the speculation about Lovecraftian Horror being the root of Rust's delusions coming from every blog and thread.

Carcosa and the King in Yellow aren't even from Lovecraft, they're from Robert Chambers, you bastards. :arghfist: :goonsay:

I also enjoyed certain aspects of TD Season 2. People ragged on Vince Vaughn's character but I loving loved his over-the-top lines in an unironic way. The opening is still gorgeous, too.

e: I think something people missed about Season 2 of True Detective is that it was written as a legit neo-noire/hardboiled story. I think it plays a lot better if you imagine it as a pseudo-Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammett story taking place in the 2000s instead of the 40s. Stuff like Kitsch's character hating his homosexuality and the land development plot make more sense in that light, too.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 2, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath posted:

The worst part about the King in Yellow stuff in True Detective S1 was all of the speculation about Lovecraftian Horror being the root of Rust's delusions coming from every blog and thread.

Carcosa and the King in Yellow aren't even from Lovecraft, they're from Robert Chambers, you bastards. :arghfist: :goonsay:

I also enjoyed certain aspects of TD Season 2. People ragged on Vince Vaughn's character but I loving loved his over-the-top lines in an unironic way. The opening is still gorgeous, too.

Vince Vaughn had the single best scene in the season walking in the desert.

I thought everyone knew it was Robert Chambers, the subgenre just didn't named after him. For the record, I don't think there was anything wrong with appropriating some of Robert Chambers's work to be a cult ideology. When your villain is going to have weird occult ideas, you want to establish them somehow. You can make them up, or you can find them. Sometimes it's a William Blake painting, sometimes it's a few Robert Chambers stories.

People's minds are just too polluted with preconceptions they have been taught are the right way to think. I remember the other big criticism I heard about TD season 1 was "How were we supposed to figure it out?!" Like people were legit mad that they weren't given the opportunity to solve the case before the protagonists. Because they have been trained, by things like Sherlock, to think that outsmarting the show is the goal. That the show is trying to trick them with a twist, and if they can figure it out, it will be proof of their cleverness.

edit: Like look at this CONNECTION:

That's the logo for Project Gutenberg, the easiest place to read The King in Yellow.
LOOK FAMILIAR?

Snak fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 2, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath posted:

e: I think something people missed about Season 2 of True Detective is that it was written as a legit neo-noire/hardboiled story. I think it plays a lot better if you imagine it as a pseudo-Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammett story taking place in the 2000s instead of the 40s. Stuff like Kitsch's character hating his homosexuality and the land development plot make more sense in that light, too.

Nah, I got this. It's just that Nicky P is blatantly really bad at writing that sort of story and at writing 1940s hardboiled characters.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's kind of weird that people think it's unacceptable to hate your own sexual orientation just because society is less oppressive than it used to be.

I think that TD2 could have been just as good as TD1 if it had gone through more drafts and revisions. There were ideas there, but almost none of them were executed satisfactorily. Also having 4 characters instead of 2 just made it harder to develop them in the given amount of time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's not really what people say. The issue isn't with having a self-hating gay character. It was the fact this was addressed by lame scenes such as MOTORCYCLE RAAAAAAAAAAGE.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh that's fair then. I just remember a lot of people saying how being a self-hating gay would have worked so much better in a different time period.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

This. I'm a huge noir fan, so I enjoyed Season 2, even the downer ending, although it wasn't nearly as good as Season 1. But it felt like a post-World War II story shoehorned (maybe forced by HBO executives?) into the present day.

It would have made so much more sense in the late '40s with Kitsch's character as a vet ashamed of his sexuality, Bezzerides encountering so much blatant sexism as a cop (not that there wouldn't be sexism against a female cop today, just that it would have been so much worse back then), all the corruption in local government and shady land development deals (a classic staple of noir; see Chinatown and almost everything James Ellroy has ever written), and Vince Vaughn's over-the-top, retro-sounding dialogue.

Plus we would have gotten much cooler clothes, cars, and architecture had it been a period piece.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This. I'm a huge noir fan, so I enjoyed Season 2, even the downer ending, although it wasn't nearly as good as Season 1. But it felt like a post-World War II story shoehorned (maybe forced by HBO executives?) into the present day.

It would have so much more sense if they used literally every lazy noir writing technique like the Chinatown episode of Muppet Babies.

But that's not quite fair, that episode of Muppet Babies was also a musical.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

But that's not quite fair, that episode of Muppet Babies was also a musical.
Disagree if you want. We're having a conversation. But don't misquote me. There is no call for that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Longmire just got renewed for a final season on Netflix. Glad to have gotten three more seasons from them, but I don't want it to end, especially when it's been so loving good since Netflix got ahold of it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Longmire just got renewed for a final season on Netflix. Glad to have gotten three more seasons from them, but I don't want it to end, especially when it's been so loving good since Netflix got ahold of it.

Yeah, but I could really see it being time to wrap it up. The last season finale was kind of... well if it's the lead in to a final season and not something that's just gonna be resolved at the beginning of the next season, it could be really good.

Stuff that needs to happen:
Nighthorse and Longmire need to bury the hatchet. Cady being adopted into the tribe and being their common connection could work with this.
Walt and Henry, and possibly Jacob, need to take down Malachi once and for all.
Vic and Walt need to not get together. It would just be wrong at this point. Her going off in her RV to be her own woman is probably the best ending for her.
Walt needs to retire. If Jacob dies, he needs to take over the Red Pony.
Obviously the golf resort needs to not get built.

If all that gets taken care of, I will be happy. I loving love the show, but I don't want it to drag on forever.

But I'm still not sure if Cady being adopted into the tribe is going to line up with Jacob's agenda. It happened so fast and she did it without consulting Jacob or Henry, or anyone who might understand the political ramifications, even if there aren't any legal ones.

Real downer ending, Walt dies, and the resort gets built, and Cady, now living on the reservation, finally "knows what it feels like to have her land taken and destroyed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thought I might be finally ok watching the last few episodes of Luke Cage. Apparently the villain's current evil plan is just to go around beating people up while yelling "I'M LUKE CAGE!" This show suuuuuuucks

• Locked thread