Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It was a while ago but iirc my careers class was also taught by a guidance counsellor instead of an actual teacher so not only were they teaching useless stuff, they were also teaching it really really badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
As Millennials We Will All Be Engaged In Lifelong Learning - my careers course

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PittTheElder posted:

Jumping on the 'careers class was useless' bandwagon. Seriously, has anyone had a careers class that was good?

Ours was broken down into a bunch of mini units, and while almost total crap the basic cooking and sewing units were actually pretty useful for a dumbass teenager.

Also the USE A CONDOM THIS IS HOW IT GOES ON was probably also a good idea.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Also echoing "dump careers, expand civics". It was actually interesting in grade 10 and there was way more to learn than what we had time for.

Dreylad posted:

As Millennials We Will All Be Engaged In Lifelong Learning - my careers course

Also networking (when you live in a city full of hicks whose main goal in life is to knock some chubby broad up in the back of their F150) is the only way to get a job.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I dunno, I think there's a niche for careers. Turn it into a life skills course of some sort where you learn how to make a not-lovely resume, fill out a job application and do an interview, but spend like a month on that and then move on to other things that are useful for living in the real world.

For real though make civics a full credit course and have it taught by someone who knows anything about how governments work, and not just whichever poor schlub's class didn't get enough enrollment to get them a full schedule.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Careers should be a full credit course, except the entirety of the course content is constant shaming until STEM is seen as the only viable career path

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

We didn't have anything of the sort. Closest we got was a computerized personality test to tell us what kind of job we'd be suited for, but the test bugged out and told everyone they should be bus drivers.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

flakeloaf posted:

We didn't have anything of the sort. Closest we got was a computerized personality test to tell us what kind of job we'd be suited for, but the test bugged out and told everyone they should be bus drivers.

Same, but brewmasters.

I think it was secretly the developer of the test telling us to become alcoholics early

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

CLAM DOWN posted:

My high school didn't have civics or "careers" way back when. We had a 1 semester class on why meth was bad and this is what a condom is you should use one.

To be fair, this is also pretty important.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

flakeloaf posted:

Everyone in my class got aerospace engineer or park ranger.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ChickenWing posted:

I dunno, I think there's a niche for careers. Turn it into a life skills course of some sort where you learn how to make a not-lovely resume, fill out a job application and do an interview, but spend like a month on that and then move on to other things that are useful for living in the real world.

After the getting-a-job part (mock interviews are so helpful), toss in some personal finance.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Yes, "bugged out"

Our career planning was looking at a list of jobs the local university could land you if you got a degree

After a few years everyone who didn't stick with uni went into construction or nursing depending if you were male or female

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

flakeloaf posted:

Everybody always got bus driver, religious leader, or teacher on those tests.

To this day I cannot decide if the test was entirely useless or cunningly accurate.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

After the getting-a-job part (mock interviews are so helpful), toss in some personal finance.

Just show them apps like YNAB. Have them pick careers and work backwards from their salaries to see how much it costs to live how they'd like to.

Apps, the future of our kids.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Risky Bisquick posted:

Just show them apps like YNAB. Have them pick careers and work backwards from their salaries to see how much it costs to live how they'd like to.

I want some stuff on compound interest, what happens if you just make the minimum credit card payments, etc.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Guys I got the coolest camper for like 50 bucks a month what a steal. Oh it's 40 years of payments at 4%, but drat is that cheapppp

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
What exactly is Civics? Are they just teaching you how laws pass in government and how elections work? I did all of that in Grade 8 Social Studies

EDIT: The Liberals are ramping up spending and TFWs lol

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...1/?cmpid=PM1116

quote:

But Mr. Morneau acknowledged Tuesday that the plan he outlined just a few months ago in March has proven overly optimistic and the $6-billion a year set aside in case the economy underperforms has already been largely used up. That means this year’s deficit is expected to be $25.1-billion, with it growing to $27.8-billion in 2017-18

The new measures – which also include an Invest in Canada Hub to attract foreign investment, changes to speed up the processing of high-skilled temporary foreign workers and extending the current 10-year infrastructure spending plan by two years to 2028 with new money for projects related to trade, transportation and rural communities – are all in line with recent recommendations from Mr. Morneau’s expert Advisory Council on Economic Growth, which also called for the creation of an infrastructure bank.

The update revealed that federal deficits – excluding the contingencies included in the March budget – are forecast to grow slightly larger over the coming years, with no return to balance through 2021-22. Conservative interim leader Rona Ambrose criticized the government’s update over the fact that it boosts spending and lacks a clear plan to balance the books.

“The nightmare continues for taxpayers,” she said, accusing Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of doubling down on a failed plan.Ms. Ambrose said cutting taxes would have been a better approach to boosting economic growth.

NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair also noted that the Liberals are now running deficits that are much larger than the $10-billion limit the party promised during the election campaign. He then criticized the proposed infrastructure bank, warning that it will lead to the privatization of public assets and will impose new costs such as road tolls and user fees.

“The money for infrastructure is going to go through a privatization bank and we’re going to go through the same thing Ontarians saw in the case of Hydro One: privatization of things that belong to the public, including airports,” he said. “I don’t recall Mr. Trudeau saying anything about privatization of infrastructure in Canada. … So not only have all of their economic forecasts been wrong, what we’re learning today is they’re completely changing their economic strategy. Privatization was never part of the bargain.”

The government has discontinued the practice of inserting $6-billion a year in the fiscal forecast as a contingency for unforeseen events and forecasting errors. Mr. Morneau suggested Tuesday that the government has not yet decided whether contingencies will return as part of the 2017 budget.

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 2, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

How payday lenders work, what an emergency room is for, a three-week part on critical thinking (probably wanna do that one last to avoid annoying questions the rest of the year), you could totally make a worthwhile course out of that. Introduction to Adulthood.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Risky Bisquick posted:

"So you'll see here that you're hosed forever and will never afford a house and will probably need 5 roommates for the next three decades. Vote Trudeau!"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Service guarantees citizenship.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

flakeloaf posted:

How payday lenders work, what an emergency room is for, a three-week part on critical thinking (probably wanna do that one last to avoid annoying questions the rest of the year), you could totally make a worthwhile course out of that. Introduction to Adulthood.

Applied Statistics (lottery tickets bad, driving dangerous, terrorism not) would be a good unit too.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Hey buddy! I dunno, I thought it was good news but not really interesting or debatable.

Reading it again, something interesting is that I think the Toronto Star really wants Wynne to step down. They label Sorbara a "Wynne adviser" and, in their first article, "The head of Premier Kathleen Wynne’s re-election campaign". Both op leaders are hammering Wynne about it because the transcripts implicate her directly eg. "The premier wants to talk. They would like to present you options in terms of appointments, jobs, whatever, that you and her and Pat Sorbara could talk about." Toronto Star got the story way ahead of anyone else. I wonder who they'll go with when she prorogues and resigns to spend more time with family, probably Sousa or Hoskins.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Service guarantees citizenship.

Unironically this. Pay combat veterans to come in and ramble to high school kids about civic duty.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
The Ontario system sounds odd. Did you guys not have Social Studies?

In BC, Social Studies is a full year course required Grades 8-11. It covers a combination of history (world and Canadian), geography and political science. In Grade 12 you can take History 12 or Geography 12 (and there might have been another one, maybe Law?) but IIRC only Social Studies 11 is required for graduation.

*all information only current to the time I graduated from high school

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 2, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

toe knee hand posted:

If we did, it wasn't a prerequisite for graduating so nobody cared. "World religions" was the course that pretentious people took to look worldly and philosophical, and I think that was as close to the humanities as we got.

But I do have two gym credits so if anyone wants to start a discussion about walking around on a gravel track or standing there while tall kids played volleyball, I got your back

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
In BC in the late 90s we had carreers (CAPP) but not civics, that would have been an elective in grade 12 and covered slightly in social studies before that.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

ChickenWing posted:

Same, but brewmasters.

I think it was secretly the developer of the test telling us to become alcoholics early

Somehow I got 'military officer' which would not have turned out well at all.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Unironically this. Pay combat veterans to come in and ramble to high school kids about civic duty.

Unless you're talking about WW2/Korea/Peacekeeping vets, this is a terrible idea.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

GENDERED SLUR posted:

"So you'll see here that you're hosed forever and will never afford a house and will probably need 5 roommates for the next three decades. Vote Trudeau!"

"Get used to it and if you don't you're entitled. Oh also become a nurse to wipe my rear end when I'm old"

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

GENDERED SLUR posted:

Everyone in my class got aerospace engineer or park ranger.

Even if you take aerospace you will never get to work on planes. Sorry.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

cowofwar posted:

In BC in the late 90s we had carreers (CAPP) but not civics, that would have been an elective in grade 12 and covered slightly in social studies before that.

Careers and Personal Planning or as I like to call it, CRAP.

I think we learnt how to write cheques and format resumes in this class.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

toe knee hand posted:

In BC, Social Studies is a full year course required Grades 8-11. It covers a combination of history (world and Canadian), geography and political science. In Grade 12 you can take History 12 or Geography 12 (and there might have been another one, maybe Law?) but IIRC only Social Studies 11 is required for graduation.

*all information only current to the time I graduated from high school

I'll have to dig out my high school transcript but in 1980-1986 there was a half-credit 'Canadian Geography' and a half-credit 'Canadian History' in Grades 9 or 10. These were mandatory. You must have needed another credit for social sciences as I took Grade 11 History. I can't think what else I took in Social Sciences so that must have been it. Grade 13 was 3 math credits, 3 science credits, English, Band and (seriously) Microbiology (a *technical* subject of all things).

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

:yeah:

We actually did a module in elementary school in grade 5 or 6 about finance where everyone got randomly assigned jobs and had to make a budget out of it. Learning that Life Costs A Lot Of Money had an impact on me, not sure about the rest of my classmates.

I think there was a unit on compound interest, mortgages, and debt in my Grade 11 U math course.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 2, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

I'll have to dig out my high school transcript but in 1980-1986 there was a half-credit 'Canadian Geography' and a half-credit 'Canadian History' in Grades 9 or 10. These were mandatory. You must have needed another credit for social sciences as I took Grade 11 History. I can't think what else I took in Social Sciences so that must have been it. Grade 13 was 3 math credits, 3 science credits, English, Band and (seriously) Microbiology (a *technical* subject of all things).

This was still the system in the 2000s. Mandatory half-credit course in grade 9 in geography, mandatory half-credit course in grade 10 on Canadian history, requirement for one more social sciences credit that most people got with either grade 11 world history, world religions, or ancient civ (Greece, Rome, and Egypt). My school also had grade 12 courses in philosophy, politics, and world history but I think those weren't part of the official curriculum but were instead taught because my high school's history department had some interesting people in it who were passionate about those subjects and built courses around them for humanities nerds like myself to take. Most of those teachers are retired now so I wouldn't be surprised if the school doesn't have those courses anymore. Plus there was a grade 12 global issues course that tried to cover world politics but most people just took it because there was a class trip to New York every year, no idea why.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dreylad posted:

We actually did a module in elementary school in grade 5 or 6 about finance where everyone got randomly assigned jobs and had to make a budget out of it. Learning that Life Costs A Lot Of Money had an impact on me, not sure about the rest of my classmates.

It also conveys the important lesson that financial means have a large luck component to them.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

OSI bean dip posted:

Careers and Personal Planning or as I like to call it, CRAP.

I think we learnt how to write cheques and format resumes in this class.

You learned how to write cheques? That actually sounds useful. In my CAPP class we had pages of writing about how we envisioned our future and the goals we'd make to achieve it.

Pages and pages.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Subjunctive posted:

I want some stuff on compound interest, what happens if you just make the minimum credit card payments, etc.

It's called "math." Compound interest is explained in excruciating detail largely because it's such a nice example case. I'm not sure if minimum payments are covered, though. I suppose it's left as an exercise for the reader.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Turn Civics and Careers into full-credit courses, throw out grade 12 English.

If you haven't gotten it by now after living in Ontario your whole life you can burn an elective on it. Everyone else can take shop (if you live in a school board that can still afford it) or computers or a secord history credit, which is functionally the same as English but includes critical thinking and trivia.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

a secord history credit, which is functionally the same as English but includes critical thinking and trivia.

This would work if you were to also give month-long detentions to anyone who asked "do spelling and grammar count?"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

It's called "math." Compound interest is explained in excruciating detail largely because it's such a nice example case. I'm not sure if minimum payments are covered, though. I suppose it's left as an exercise for the reader.

Yeah, I remember doing a ton of examples of interest, mortgages, taxes, etc, in high school math because they're actually really good examples for that level of learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
please don't educate voters and consumers