Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Watership down? Lord of the fries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

AmbientParadox posted:

I'm going to round some numbers here to be lazy.
lunch = 7k, as Love Stole the Day says, the diner-like places here and cheap and everywhere. you could get a fried rice meal and a kimbap for about 7k most places in the city.

Dinner = 15-20k. I'm assuming you'll probably eat out and try different restaurants. Most bbq places are about 10k-15k per person and then I'm assuming alcohol/cola will happen.

A subway ride is about 1,500won each way. I don't think it's unreasonable to think you may change locations a couple times a day, so x4 = 6,000

so that's looking like $30 usd for bare minimum. I think you would be okay at estimating $50 a day for anything else, like coffee, movies, or taxis.

Wow. I was expecting everything to be like New York expensive. Sounds like it won't be nearly as bad as I thought.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm flying out to Seoul for a little over a week tomorrow, and am really looking forward to exploring the city. I have a mild allergy to crustacean shellfish (i.e. shrimp, crab, lobsters) and will have my Epipen on me, but is there anything in particular I should look out for? I know to stick to meat-based dishes and avoid broths. I was hoping to print a little note that explains my allergy in Hangul, but haven't had any luck finding the right text.

edit: Also, what are some good Android apps to help me navigate public transport? So far I've been thinking of using Citymapper. Subway Korea is incomprehensible.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 27, 2016

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Montalvo posted:

I'm flying out to Seoul for a little over a week tomorrow, and am really looking forward to exploring the city. I have a mild allergy to crustacean shellfish (i.e. shrimp, crab, lobsters) and will have my Epipen on me, but is there anything in particular I should look out for? I know to stick to meat-based dishes and avoid broths. I was hoping to print a little note that explains my allergy in Hangul, but haven't had any luck finding the right text.

edit: Also, what are some good Android apps to help me navigate public transport? So far I've been thinking of using Citymapper. Subway Korea is incomprehensible.

kimchi can be made with little shrimp juice in it, so....
also, no one give a poo poo about your allergies or your note, except maybe at a 6 star hotel or something.
I guess avoid the shrimp flavored chips that are sometimes offered as a snack in bars, too

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Montalvo posted:

I have a mild allergy to crustacean shellfish (i.e. shrimp, crab, lobsters) and will have my Epipen on me, but is there anything in particular I should look out for? I know to stick to meat-based dishes and avoid broths.

Oh boy that's a hard one in Korea. I am not sure I'd risk eating anything other than Korean bbq, the little dried or preserved shrimp are in everything. Don't eat any soups or kimchi for sure.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Montalvo posted:

I'm flying out to Seoul for a little over a week tomorrow, and am really looking forward to exploring the city. I have a mild allergy to crustacean shellfish

Cancel your trip.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Montalvo posted:

I use Subway Korea just fine since it's in English, not sure how you find it incomprehensible. You first find your station you're at and click the "play arrow" symbol to set that as your starting point, then find the station you need to get to and click the "stop square" symbol and the app does the rest. For buses I've been using Kakao Bus and work out the korean spelling for where I'm going or something nearby. Admittedly I've only used it to head to Technomart/Gangbyeon Station but still.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 28, 2016

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh boy that's a hard one in Korea. I am not sure I'd risk eating anything other than Korean bbq, the little dried or preserved shrimp are in everything. Don't eat any soups or kimchi for sure.

Bulgogi Burgers all day every day

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Only go to Taco bell

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Unfunny Poster posted:

I use Subway Korea just fine since it's in English, not sure how you find it incomprehensible. You first find your station you're at and click the "play arrow" symbol to set that as your starting point, then find the station you need to get to and click the "stop square" symbol and the app does the rest. For buses I've been using Kakao Bus and work out the korean spelling for where I'm going or something nearby. Admittedly I've only used it to head to Technomart/Gangbyeon Station but still.

Thanks. Not sure how I missed the departure button.

It's a work trip, so at least if my thrust seizes and I choke to death on some shrimpy kimchi it will have been for the advancement of science.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Maxsmart posted:

Only go to Taco bell

They replaced beans with kimchi so that'll kill him too.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

pee out my butt posted:

I remember when they took the dirty rice out of popeyes...dark days...

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

pee out my butt posted:

I think you mean Exciting Menu Items

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Maxsmart posted:

Only go to Taco bell

Post Trip Report:
Last night the missus and I went to Taco Bell. I got the quesarito and she got the grilled stuffed chicken burrito. Both didn't have beans, but both also didn't have kimchi.

The chicken tasted bland as gently caress. The quesarito was good.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
it should be against the law for a residential building in this loving cesspool of a country to be built without mosquito netting on the windows.

it's a quarter past two.

i am so. loving. tired.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

It doesn't matter man, no u bends in the drains, those little weeping holes in the windows even when you have screens. I had to kill 2 last night and I still didn't sleep till around 3. gently caress mosquitoes.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=866769057

Get these things and plug them into every available outlet.

Will they give you boneitis, hot dog fingers, and knee cancer? Probably.

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

Death to all mosquito!!!! Burn them all!!!!!!!

I developed mosquito allergy now. I am fine with Korean mosquitos but the ones where I am at???? I start to have panic attacks when I hear buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz because of severe allergic reaction.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I spent time before work with my electric fly swatter chasing the bastards around my apartment. It's my new workout routine.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I am getting a 35th floor apt and I amso psyched to no longer deal with mosquitoes.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

E_P posted:

I am getting a 35th floor apt and I amso psyched to no longer deal with mosquitoes.

Ours have learned how to use elevators

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Allergy trip update: not dead yet. Living off of tteokbokki and pretty happy about it.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

I've resorted to one of those spiral incense things they have at outdoor food stalls. Burning one of those things inside has the same carcinogen load as a fire in a mattress factory but I'm at my loving wits end.

gently caress mosquitoes.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
We loved our mosquito net, except our dog kept making holes in it that I had to sew up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For real. The flyswatter/bugzapper combo is so god drat satisfying to kill those fuckers with.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I miss living on the 11th floor, we'd get like maybe 2 mosquitoes. Living closer to ground level is hell.

The Internet says that they'll hibernate below 10c but either there's a warm pocket somewhere or these assholes don't care.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I'm so happy to never have a problem with mosquitoes. Not only is my blood really horrible-tasting to them, apparently, but my girlfriend/now wife was a super attractor. I bet I got like 3 bites in 6 years in Korea. And apparently they just don't exist here in western WA state, which is weird. All the cities are carved out of a huge forest, water everywhere, temperatures that would absolutely allow mosquitoes, yet no mosquitoes.

I guess my point is: haha

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

I spent time before work with my electric fly swatter chasing the bastards around my apartment. It's my new workout routine.

Move above the treeline or they will never give you peace. Mosquitoes can live in your drains. In my building the only way they get in is through the drains, so in summer I just close t he bathroom door when I sleep and it stops like 80% of the bastards.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The mosquitos in Korea don't like me either. I could count the bites I've had on my fingers, and they always fade in twenty to thirty minutes. Apparently for other people the bites last days?

They also don't come into my apartment that often, despite only being the fourth floor. I'm pretty high up on a mountain slope though, so maybe that's why?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

I ended up making a screen from poster board. My flat is technically in the basement so I'm gonna have these fuckers after me til Christmas.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I genuinely believe the mosquito species in Asia are stronger than the ones in the US. They seem entirely immune to cold and can climb much higher.

Fortunately they don't bite me much and I don't have a reaction if they do, so.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I genuinely believe the mosquito species in Asia are stronger than the ones in the US. They seem entirely immune to cold and can climb much higher.

They seem incredibly slow and timid compared to Florida brand mosquitos. It was easy blocking and dealing with them in Korea. Could easily catch them with my hand. They're pussies compared to the savage monsters I grew up with.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Bites swell like a balloon and I get uncontrollably itchy and also mosquitos loving love me so they can rot in hell for all I care I will kill them all mercilessly

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

No. The ones in Australia are far more evil.
I met lots of East Asians in Melbourne and we all complain about horrible allergic skin reactions.

I miss Korean mosquitos.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Gilgamesh_Novem posted:

No. The ones in Australia are far more evil.
I met lots of East Asians in Melbourne and we all complain about horrible allergic skin reactions.

I miss Korean mosquitos.
Same. In Korea I only get those red dots on my skin, but they don't itch. They don't become inflamed either.

Started watching this documentary on NK refugees. Spoilers: dead bodies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSC6elDUQNw

edit:

Here's the new PBS doc: Battle of Chosin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7--jhk3IFU4

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 3, 2016

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
ACT toughens test rules for Korea against cheating

quote:

The single test site principle will apply starting with the Dec. 10 test. The new testing site will be the Grand Hilton Seoul. Previously ACT tests were held at international schools and foreign language high schools across the country.

This is going to be a shitshow.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

back after the TOEFLiBT came out, they specifically banned taking it in korea, and I think china too, and if you lived in one of those countries then you had to fly to evil Japan to take it

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Cafe Expo in COEX right now

Not sure if you all saw this, but today and tomorrow in COEX is the cafe expo. From what I understand, $15 entrance to have unlimited samples of great coffee. Also coffee art and barista competitions if thats your jam.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Drink lots of coffee and get heart attack, my fellow goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Aesis posted:

Drink lots of coffee and get heart attack, my fellow goons!

The expo was wonderful. I stopped around 12 free mini espressos.

1F was kinda not to my liking. It was just mostly cakes, smoothies, and ice creams. The back section was teas which was okay. But I'm not much of a tea goon. 3F was coffee heaven. There were tons of booths offering free samples of various drip coffees and espressos. The latte and latte art booths had massive lines though, so be careful about that.