Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
If i remember correctly you don't actually need 6 people there, just 6 in the party, even if they're offline. 2 boxing and inviting alts and then logging off used to work, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Can probably just ask in general for people to invite who are free too if you can just solo it. I know my alts have been used to pop open instances before.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
You used to have to have ten people, in raid, online, in Felwithe, with you as the raid leader. It was ridiculous. I'm pretty sure those requirements have been slimmed down.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Withnail posted:

I've been fooling around on my ancient eq character and was going to get the pally 1.5 epic, but ran into a 6 character min group requirement for a raid instance. Is there anyway around this?

Not really, no Mercs., I think you can request without the other people being present or even online, so just ask general for some people to invite.

Edit: guess my phone didn't refresh, see others already replied.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Offline alts, even on your own account, works at least for getting into a raid (such as Anguish).

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Pilsner, do you still update your UI?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Krycek posted:

Pilsner, do you still update your UI?
Sometimes, but usually only once a year or so when I see it get wonky from a patch. Is it broken with the latest patch?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Pilsner posted:

Sometimes, but usually only once a year or so when I see it get wonky from a patch. Is it broken with the latest patch?

No, not broke. I've used examdiff on the animations file and copy/pase the new code sections from the default file the the custom file. Was actually just curious more than anything if you are updating it for the new expansion.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Krycek posted:

No, not broke. I've used examdiff on the animations file and copy/pase the new code sections from the default file the the custom file. Was actually just curious more than anything if you are updating it for the new expansion.
Okay that's good. Two things can basically happen when a patch comes:

1) The UI breaks completely and is prevented from loading
2) New features that have been implemented are not available in the UI

The first happens when something in a window is drastically changed, such as a button or whatever being removed or changing name. The latter can happen when they, for example, make a new stat, or when they introduced Krono. The character inventory window would still work, but it wouldn't show the new buttons/labels/etc. for the new feature, which would be lacking for the player.

The way I play, very casually and a few expansions behind, means I'm not really up to speed on the latest expansions and patches, so it takes a little while for my UI to catch up sometimes. :) I have made an effort to only customize the windows that I absolutely need, for example there's no need to make a custom Options window just to make it look a tiny bit special; the UI just uses the default window and styles it square and blue. This makes the UI more bulletproof and require less maintenance. Other UIs go all the way and customize every single window, which makes them very fragile when it comes to patches.

The most annoying thing is the Animations file, which is constantly updated, and typically just needs to be copy/pasted 1:1 from the default file. It contains a big mish-mash of info about textures and colors to use, which need to be customized in a few places for the UI to have its flat look, sadly. They could have structured it better, but ah well. At least they recently moved the long list of texture files out of the Animations file so it doesn't have to be mindlessly updated every time just for those.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I use that UI without an animations file. A few spots don't look right, but it basically never breaks after patches.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Mildly considering giving boxing another shot.

I was leaning towards; Tank, Mage, Shm

Are SKs still the king tank for small group content? How does a Paladin compare? Is a Shm enough heals? How well does the Cleric merc (the subbed one) fare at lvl 80+?

Thanks!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Shm and sk pair well together, better than pal/shm. Cleric merc is good for most content, but I'd want a backup of you plan to kill named mobs.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Tank (usually SK since they can do double duty as puller easy), healer (shaman or druid, I like druids but shaman are a lot simpler to box) and a caster is pretty simple. Get a cleric merc and whichever dps mercs works best and you'll be good to go boxing wise. Two healers might be slightly excessive for general grinding but you'll be glad to have control over the healer on named since they're only mostly competent and can still make some pretty boneheaded choices.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
No chicken little syndrome this game seriously seems like it's on its last legs. Even before DBG the game had plenty of problems but at least they could keep the game running while doing the bare minimum expansions, now they're still doing it but with the added bonus of servers in constant hosed status.

I'd be really surprised if the game is still running within a few years or at the very least a radical change in player mentality of "game is totally hosed and I'm still playing but I never expect it to be working".

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/known-issue-guild-villages.236091/

The escalation of this is :lol:

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 27, 2016

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Man, I don't play this all that much anymore, but people on the Facebook EQ group and Dischord are salty as gently caress over this guild issue. Seems like a massive gently caress up. Does DBG even have a QA department anymore?

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
If you aren't playing that much you might not even know that this isn't even the first time they've deleted a ton of guilds, they just did it last week too.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
I keep "hearing" that there's supposed to be double XP this weekend...anyone have something of substance to confirm/deny this? Where would one see such announcements?

Also, if it is 2x XP, do XP pots stack? Would a 25% pot be adding an additional 25% or 50%?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
It'll be on the official forums and site when / if things like that happen.

During xp bonus, pots and such are just additive. So if it's a 50% xp bonus, and you use a 25% pot, your total xp is 175%.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
They listed a bunch of bonuses that would be rotating every two weeks so double should be next.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
My friend contacted me and I guess they're playing EQ again :jerkbag: on our original server not progression bullshit. My OG character is a cleric. Is there even a point to playing a cleric anymore outside of raiding or should I definitively retire him and play something else. I guess our group is Shadowknight, Bard, and Shaman.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Clerics definitely have a hand up on mercs but that group badly needs some damage.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Yeah clerics are really good, but yeah I would swap to a melee DPS. Your friends can damage shield powerlevel you to 60ish pretty easy. At 60 you can group with anyone upto level 90

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Play a monk, with that group you can get anywhere with feign death and fading memories. Kill the shaman and drag and rez anywhere.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Rez, by who? (a merc prolly... not used to playing with them)
That wouldn't work in Raid zones would it?

SK, Bard, Shaman indeed makes the core of a good melee group. Monk would be a strong addition indeed, but you can also consider a rogue. They may not have Feign Death but they can get anywhere too. Also iirc they have a long cooldown "vanish" too if required.

When setting up a group I also always consider the "loot" they need. That one does give monk an advantage being the only leather user. Otherwise you would have 2x Plate and 2xChain.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Evernoob posted:

Rez, by who? (a merc prolly... not used to playing with them)
That wouldn't work in Raid zones would it?

SK, Bard, Shaman indeed makes the core of a good melee group. Monk would be a strong addition indeed, but you can also consider a rogue. They may not have Feign Death but they can get anywhere too. Also iirc they have a long cooldown "vanish" too if required.

When setting up a group I also always consider the "loot" they need. That one does give monk an advantage being the only leather user. Otherwise you would have 2x Plate and 2xChain.
Yeah cleric mercs can rez, just as well as real Clerics. You're correct that you cannot use mercs at all in raid zones.

Personally I've never used the old-fashioned "kill and drag" method to get by, I just fight my way through, and you can use invisbility in many many places still. Shamans actually get a form of feign death at higher levels as an AA, even though it's on a longer cooldown (15 min, can be shortened to 4 min).

Adjusting a group according to loot is of less of a concern today than it was eons ago, for several reasons:

* There are lots of all/all drops
* In modern content, players often get alternate currency (for example Dream Motes, Mark of Valor, etc.) as a reward for finishing a mission, that they can use to buy items that suit them
* Players can use random tradeskill drops to craft items that suit them, many of which are really good
* Casual players will typically gear themselves quicker by simply buying tradable items from the bazaar, meaning they can buy what they want instead of relying on drops

Particularly the latter is hard to resist doing. Unless you're really idealistic and want to go through the expansions in order, and grind a lot in order to gear up for the next content, it will be very difficult to start working on, for example House of Thule (HoT), without buying a lot of gear before starting. If we take HoT as an example, the expansion is designed to take players from level 85 to 90. A typical casual player will end up at level 80 with badly outdated Defiant gear and perhaps a few mid-70's lucky drops with around 300-400 HP each, and outdated weapons. If you try to engage even yard trash in the first zone of HoT, you will get creamed, as the zone is designed for people who were already geared from the previous expansion (Underfoot). Thus there's not much choice but visit the bazaar and gear up. It can be done, if you level up, use mercs, primarily use spell casters (not so gear dependant) and buy their spells from PoK, and slooooooowly inch your way through, but it will be slow.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I'm torn. I enjoy playing my rogue and my necromancer, but I cannot decide which one I want to start raiding with. Are there any glaring benefits or negatives of raiding either one?

*this is on live

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
This just in, I am a colossal moron for the 2nd time. If I target a person and buff them while auto fire is on and the mob i was fighting dies autofire stays on. and after one fuckup pulling cursed, i did it again tonight on blood. there's no indication that your autofire is on if you don't have anyone targeted, your ranged attack button doesn't look any different because you're not actually ranged attacking, and you can't check if it's on or off easily without having something targeted which I didn't do, because i targeted blood while clicking the EQ window back into focus after tabbing out to look up loot.

If ANYONE has a better autofire macro, please god tell me what it is.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Before you buff someone, tap auto attack on and off. It'll reset you to base state.

By the way, don't worry about it happening. We give you poo poo about it mostly cause its funny but at least this time we were basically ready to go anyways. Cursed was more amusing than anything else, maybe annoying for Os cause we had to do loot while fighting a boss.

Hoohah fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 2, 2016

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Hoohah posted:

Before you buff someone, tap auto attack on and off. It'll reset you to base state.

By the way, don't worry about it happening. We give you poo poo about it mostly cause its funny but at least this time we were basically ready to go anyways. Cursed was more amusing than anything else, maybe annoying for Os cause we had to do loot while fighting a boss.

I wasn't that worried about it, just embarrassed and frustrated that there's not an easy sign you're in combat and it made me feel really dumb.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Enos Cabell posted:

Play a monk, with that group you can get anywhere with feign death and fading memories. Kill the shaman and drag and rez anywhere.

You could play a necro - still get anywhere, way more damage, and you can also provide a res / corpse summon in raid zones.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

I wasn't that worried about it, just embarrassed and frustrated that there's not an easy sign you're in combat and it made me feel really dumb.

I mean, you're definitely dumb, but there's 2 indications. There's the hourglass/wisp/crossed swords for if you're out-of-combat / cooldown / in-combat. And there's a red ring around part of your namplate UI when you have attack on. Does autofire not trigger either of those?

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

I mean, you're definitely dumb, but there's 2 indications. There's the hourglass/wisp/crossed swords for if you're out-of-combat / cooldown / in-combat. And there's a red ring around part of your namplate UI when you have attack on. Does autofire not trigger either of those?

NOPE. Neither. That's the biggest issue. It doesn't even spam messages about needing a target lol.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

xZAOx posted:

No, they changed/broke this a LONG time ago (when I still played live EQ), autofire, if you are not actually in combat, will not display anything noticeable.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Bonus exp for two weeks for anyone thinking of coming back or starting (play on phinigel).

skeetar
Jun 15, 2009

Tai posted:

Bonus exp for two weeks for anyone thinking of coming back or starting (play on phinigel).

Ugh, the temptation was too much. Is there a goon guild on phinigel?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Nope. Goons are pretty spread out with the largest amount in BDA and Echoes of Elysium I believe.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I'm about to reroll my monk. It took me to level 40 to realize I absolutely don't like having to pull continuously for the group.
Especially in indoor dungeons like LGuk. I tend to get lost when chased by frenzied frogs.

Fact is, the more I think about which class I want to play, the more I gravitate back to the original Shaman choice I made back in 1999.
Does shaman best fit my playstyle? Or has playing a shaman in my first mmo defined my playstyle for the future?

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Evernoob posted:

I'm about to reroll my monk. It took me to level 40 to realize I absolutely don't like having to pull continuously for the group.
Especially in indoor dungeons like LGuk. I tend to get lost when chased by frenzied frogs.

Fact is, the more I think about which class I want to play, the more I gravitate back to the original Shaman choice I made back in 1999.
Does shaman best fit my playstyle? Or has playing a shaman in my first mmo defined my playstyle for the future?

I'm a ranger who hates pulling as well, but honestly it's not -that- bad and makes time and xp fly if your group can handle your big pulls. Finish the monk to 60 and then level a shaman or a bard box.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Not a good idea to roll a bard box if they hate pulling. I'd just go with the shaman since they're pretty easy to fit into a group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
The less control of the group you give to pubbies, the better. Pulling is great because you control the speed of kills. It's not like you only have to pull forever into the future though. They have great DPS and decent soloability which is a huge thing when working on old quests or something. You could try beastlord, they're like a shaman and monk