Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I liked Morrowind's plot because they give so many options as to what's really going on, and they make it so it doesn't matter enough that I'm not really concerned what the Real Truth is, which I generally am (the author isn't dead, the author is alive and immortal).

Like, I kinda dig a straight approach - Emperor sends dude to Morrowind to be their Jesus, turns out he actually was their Jesus - but I also liked playing it where the Nerevarine sees through Azura's prophecies and is doing what he wants to do for a people he increasingly bonds with, and that bitch can take all the credit if she wants.

It's always kinda sad if you tell Dagoth Ur you're the reincarnation of Nerevar. He thought he was doing what was ordered by his leader and friend, and now he's back and you or him is gonna die. :smith:

Of course, with all TES games I've played, I always consider the best playthrough race-wise is one that goes against what in-universe people think should be. Nerevarine was an Imperial, Hero of Kvatch was a {something I forgot}, and the Dragonborn was a Dunmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Guess what video got unblocked in my country again recently?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxmbfvycbv0

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Like, I kinda dig a straight approach - Emperor sends dude to Morrowind to be their Jesus, turns out he actually was their Jesus - but I also liked playing it where the Nerevarine sees through Azura's prophecies and is doing what he wants to do for a people he increasingly bonds with, and that bitch can take all the credit if she wants.

Well, the Emperor has the Ancestor Moth Priests, some of the finest interpreters of prophecy in the world, advising him. That quote about "Each Event is preceded by Prophecy. But without a Hero, there is no Event." that shows up at the beginning of the game sums up what the Emperor and the Moth Priests know: If one fits the definition of the Hero, the Events of a Prophecy can happen. But if there is no Hero or the Hero does not wish to enact an Event, it doesn't happen. So, their goal is to send you, a guy who fits at least the first and easiest hump of the Prophecy (A child born out of Morrowind under a certain birthsign to uncertain parents) to Morrowind and having the Blades hire you shape you into the Hero to enact the Events that lead up to Dagoth Ur being defeated and then stopping there without enacting the last Event, in which the Empire is driven out of Morrowind.

Hell, the game supports this in another way too: you can skip from the first part of the Prophecy to almost the very end via killing Vivec, making Wraithguard via hiring Yagrum Bagarn, and then using that back-path to own Dagoth Ur. Despite not enacting any of the Events in-between (Uniting the Houses, Uniting the Ashlanders, becoming immortal and immune to all disease, equipping Moon-And-Star, et cetera), as the Hero you're still able to enact these Events of the Prophecy.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
SE commentary: playing while morrowind downloads.
FO4 detects ultra, se High for graphics
The horse thief looks even worse in Contrast to the gorgeous sun shining through the mountains.

Tullius' armor looks dope with actual gold in the outfit.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 2, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Best part of playing Morrowind on the Xbox as a kid (:haw:) was instantly realizing that the combat was awful, yet getting so intrigued by the world & quests that I loaded up a modded Action Replay save (which gave me god stats, 100000 gold, and was an Argonian to boot) and put some hours into that thing with a snarky-rear end strategy guide that I got from a used games store at my side.

This game and New Vegas are constantly battling it out for Most Cherished RPG in my mind, with the occasional tagging in of Planescape Torment and Witcher 2 for a few bouts.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Man Whore posted:

Guess what video got unblocked in my country again recently?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxmbfvycbv0

blocked in Germany :/

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
if a dragon breaks and vivec isn't around, does it make a sound?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Skyrim combat is really bad compared to almost any other modern CQC-based action games.

Personally I think Morrowind combat is better precisely because it's just simple RPG dice rolling, not a half-assed attempt at "cinematic" LOTR duels

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I like Skyrim's combat because I have poo poo reflexes and nerve damage in my right arm, and now I'm getting old to boot. It's just my speed! :downs:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Freakazoid_ posted:

Trick question, Vivec is always around. Hovering behind the level geometry.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Freakazoid_ posted:

That depends, does he gently caress it?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Morticia makes me hard posted:

blocked in Germany :/

It's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" featuring Yagram Bagarn fantasying about Divayth Fyr.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I would like chivalry style melee combat in the next game but I don't violently hate the current combat either.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

They should just use the eso combat in the next game.

It feels decent compared to skyrim

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Happy Hedonist posted:

I think I'm going to go back and play Morrowind after reading this thread.

I spent a ton of time playing Arena and Daggerfall on my 486 in high school. In 1997 me and my friends wanted a multiplayer TES so loving bad. Lucky for us UO and EQ came out soon thereafter, we played them both for years before Morrowind came out. It was such a huge disappointment when I finally bought it that I only played it for a few hours and skipped Oblivion all together. However now that I'm burned out on MMOs I actually appreciate what the TES series does again.

If I enjoy vanilla Skyrim would I enjoy vanilla Morrowind, or are there a couple essential mods I should install? I don't particularly enjoy downloading and configuring a poo poo ton of mods. I've stayed away from quite a few games just because everyone says you should mod the hell out of them.

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42190/
that to make running slightly faster and stamina work like you expect it to

morrowind code patch - make sure you enable swiftcasting
morrowind patch project
MGEXE - enable volumetric fog and set your resolution correctly.

I don't recommend MGSO because it's a huge pain and pretty outdated at this point. But if you want:
http://mw.modhistory.com/download-78-12231 - the main thing
http://download.fliggerty.com/download-13-726 - MGSO unofficial patch
http://download.fliggerty.com/download--852 - MGSO missing textures they forgot

also theres a whole still active morrowind modding thread

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
They should get Arkane to teach them how to make good melee combat. Dark Messiah was the tightest poo poo.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

MisterBibs posted:

I liked Morrowind's plot because they give so many options as to what's really going on, and they make it so it doesn't matter enough that I'm not really concerned what the Real Truth is, which I generally am (the author isn't dead, the author is alive and immortal).

It's always kinda sad if you tell Dagoth Ur you're the reincarnation of Nerevar. He thought he was doing what was ordered by his leader and friend, and now he's back and you or him is gonna die. :smith:

Of course, with all TES games I've played, I always consider the best playthrough race-wise is one that goes against what in-universe people think should be. Nerevarine was an Imperial, Hero of Kvatch was a {something I forgot}, and the Dragonborn was a Dunmer.

My favorite part of Morrowind was that the entire quest line wasn't even necessary, they actually put in the game that you can just kill Vivec to get the gauntlet (or whatever it was) to finish the game. I did that "path" on a play-through once.

I loved Morrowind, and haven't gotten into any singleplayer game as much since then. I actually made a mod to build myself a trophy room, it was pretty sweet back in 2003.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

subx posted:

My favorite part of Morrowind was that the entire quest line wasn't even necessary, they actually put in the game that you can just kill Vivec to get the gauntlet (or whatever it was) to finish the game. I did that "path" on a play-through once.

I loved Morrowind, and haven't gotten into any singleplayer game as much since then. I actually made a mod to build myself a trophy room, it was pretty sweet back in 2003.

You have to be pretty strong to back door the Morrowind quest like that though because iirc you take a gently caress load of damage for equipping Wraithguard without having Vivec teach you how.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Ginette Reno posted:

You have to be pretty strong to back door the Morrowind quest like that though because iirc you take a gently caress load of damage for equipping Wraithguard without having Vivec teach you how.

Yeah you permanently lose 100 health or something. Fortunately, you just killed Vivec so you're probably good. It's you shot him with an Ebony Arrow of Slaying and kill yourself with Wraithguard, hah

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Just do the Keening swap glitch.

E: No wait you have to use the base game version for that don't you.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Orv posted:

Just do the Keening swap glitch.

E: No wait you have to use the base game version for that don't you.

The speed run thus glitch enables is loving hilarious

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Fun fact: if you do the main quest normally up to the point where you get Wraithguard, and then kill Vivec, you can get two Wraithguards, one left and one right.
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Wraithguard

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Fun fact: if you do the main quest normally up to the point where you get Wraithguard, and then kill Vivec, you can get two Wraithguards, one left and one right.
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Wraithguard

They're different models, frustratingly enough

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

there's a mod that changes it to be a mirror image swap of wraithguard, it might even be in MGSO

I think some wacky things happen if you equip both but you look really cool

also the stolen wraithguard is called "wraithguard_jury_rig" in the CS which is neat because that's exactly what it is, yagrum has to just guess what some of it does and says "hope you don't die from this"

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
The first time I played Morrowind I completely ignored the MQ and was dungeon diving somewhere on Red Mountain when I looted some hammer off some dude and got a journal entry for it. "Huh," I thought, "getting a journal entry for a hammer is weird." I wasn't a hammer guy so I just kept it in my inventory and ignored it. Later, while flying around somewhere, I was idly scroll-wheeling through the weapons I owned and stopped on the hammer. I died. I figured the game was glitched, and by that point I'd put enough hours in, so I stopped playing for several years.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Anyone have a list of mods that are SE compatible? Or is it too early yet? I just want to drag and drop them in without having to mess with editing files or whatever.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Fun Times! posted:

Anyone have a list of mods that are SE compatible? Or is it too early yet? I just want to drag and drop them in without having to mess with editing files or whatever.

I don't think any mods from the normal game are "compatible" unless they have been explicitly converted to function with SE. Just use nexus (or whatever mod site is in vogue), they have an entire "site" just for Skyrim:SE.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

raminasi posted:

The first time I played Morrowind I completely ignored the MQ and was dungeon diving somewhere on Red Mountain when I looted some hammer off some dude and got a journal entry for it. "Huh," I thought, "getting a journal entry for a hammer is weird." I wasn't a hammer guy so I just kept it in my inventory and ignored it. Later, while flying around somewhere, I was idly scroll-wheeling through the weapons I owned and stopped on the hammer. I died. I figured the game was glitched, and by that point I'd put enough hours in, so I stopped playing for several years.

Lol

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wonder if Bethesda will at least copy The Witcher 3's way of doing big cities, in that they're huge, open, and populated primarily by nameless NPCs. Now that they aren't loving around in 32 bit anymore, I think they could actually give it a shot now. Novigrad feels like way more of an alive city than Solitude does, simply because of the fact that it actually looks about as populated as a medieval capital city would look. Solitude's got like, what, 30 people and a dozen guards? I see more people at my local high school's football games than the entire population of the Imperial capital of Skyrim, apparently.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42190/
that to make running slightly faster and stamina work like you expect it to

morrowind code patch - make sure you enable swiftcasting
morrowind patch project
MGEXE - enable volumetric fog and set your resolution correctly.

I don't recommend MGSO because it's a huge pain and pretty outdated at this point. But if you want:
http://mw.modhistory.com/download-78-12231 - the main thing
http://download.fliggerty.com/download-13-726 - MGSO unofficial patch
http://download.fliggerty.com/download--852 - MGSO missing textures they forgot

also theres a whole still active morrowind modding thread

The thing about the mods that increase speed that bugs me is that they change the base speed for everyone, including NPCs (and maybe enemies too? I can't remember exactly) Just having NPCs zipping around towns is annoying to me. I usually just increase my max speed, I'm not sure what consequences that has on leveling though. That plus a stamina mod seem to work fine for me.

Also, if you're technical enough to be able to deal with modding, I might recommend going straight to OpenMW. I haven't played through the whole game in it yet but it looks like it's doable. You won't have distant land yet (it's coming later) but just having a modern graphics engine is great. I never cared for distant land in Morrowind anyway, personally - the engine was just not made with it in mind, unlike Skyrim.

I started working on a a modding guide for OpenMW this summer but haven't touched it in a while, but it might be helpful.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder if Bethesda will at least copy The Witcher 3's way of doing big cities, in that they're huge, open, and populated primarily by nameless NPCs. Now that they aren't loving around in 32 bit anymore, I think they could actually give it a shot now. Novigrad feels like way more of an alive city than Solitude does, simply because of the fact that it actually looks about as populated as a medieval capital city would look. Solitude's got like, what, 30 people and a dozen guards? I see more people at my local high school's football games than the entire population of the Imperial capital of Skyrim, apparently.
That's what I'm hoping for as well: Novigrad was a really pleasant surprise for an open-world RPG since it does feel alive and massive compared to what we usually get in games like this, while still having a lot of detail with every part of it being used as either part of one of the story quests or the side quests.
Being able to play a thief character in a large city like that one would be fantastic.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

subx posted:

I don't think any mods from the normal game are "compatible" unless they have been explicitly converted to function with SE. Just use nexus (or whatever mod site is in vogue), they have an entire "site" just for Skyrim:SE.

Here are a few

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Those all link to the Skyrim:SE page on Nexus, so I'm not sure if you are trying to invalidate my comment...

I never said there are no mods that work on SE, just that they have to be converted, you can't just use an original Skyrim mod right out of the box.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah you permanently lose 100 health or something. Fortunately, you just killed Vivec so you're probably good. It's you shot him with an Ebony Arrow of Slaying and kill yourself with Wraithguard, hah

I was actually just reading about it last night, and it's closer to 220. You have to be stupid strong to take that kind of permanent HP drop.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Yeah it was a hell of a bug. Thanks, unofficial patch!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

subx posted:

Those all link to the Skyrim:SE page on Nexus, so I'm not sure if you are trying to invalidate my comment...

I never said there are no mods that work on SE, just that they have to be converted, you can't just use an original Skyrim mod right out of the box.

Nah I just quoted the wrong post like a dumb rear end. Sorry bro

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

hannibal posted:

The thing about the mods that increase speed that bugs me is that they change the base speed for everyone, including NPCs (and maybe enemies too? I can't remember exactly) Just having NPCs zipping around towns is annoying to me. I usually just increase my max speed, I'm not sure what consequences that has on leveling though. That plus a stamina mod seem to work fine for me.

Also, if you're technical enough to be able to deal with modding, I might recommend going straight to OpenMW. I haven't played through the whole game in it yet but it looks like it's doable. You won't have distant land yet (it's coming later) but just having a modern graphics engine is great. I never cared for distant land in Morrowind anyway, personally - the engine was just not made with it in mind, unlike Skyrim.

I started working on a a modding guide for OpenMW this summer but haven't touched it in a while, but it might be helpful.

I've played it both ways and I think Morrowind is cooler and more mysterious the foggier it is

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

GorfZaplen posted:

I've played it both ways and I think Morrowind is cooler and more mysterious the foggier it is

Well, you are on an island mostly composed of an active volcano, so I always figured it would be super foggy/sooty anyway, even when you're not in an ash storm.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

SunAndSpring posted:

They should get Arkane to teach them how to make good melee combat. Dark Messiah was the tightest poo poo.

Dark Messiah is very good, but kicking something was rarely a bad move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot how annoying it was to instantly die over and over again to mages with ice shard spells because they can blast them out faster than you can endlessly.