Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I played it all the way through for the first time this year, after beating DS2,3 and Bloodborne pretty much in a row and still enjoyed it greatly. It definitely has some jank but if you like Souls games you need to play it.

I played through it earlier this year and it holds up remarkably well even after playing Bloodborne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I only asked about the Hayter thing because news got so strange around that time I think it got kinda buried.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It probably has the most insanely atmospheric areas in the series, even more so than BB. There's something just so weird and off-kilter about the whole game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ramagamma posted:

Its for that same reason mgs2 is a bad video game.

:psyboom:

(While MGS1 is probably my favorite as a tight, mostly self-contained story, MGS2 is up there for just the balls-out brazenness of it.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Also unrelated but Demon's Souls is 8 on PSN at the moment, I'm currently working my way through SOTFS after playing Bloodborne to death. Will Demon's be too janky to go back to at this stage? I know it's 9 years old by now.

No, not too janky, but a little. There are some QoL issues -- namely, the multiple strengths of healing and upgrade items you need to micromanage -- but you'll enjoy it if you like the other Soulsborne games you've played.

Consider following an NPC guide to get the most out of it, since completing their stories/paths is unintuitive and one missed step usually locks you out of them. Don't spoil anything else with a guide, though.

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 2, 2016

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've played mgs half a dozen times start to finish, twice more went when you count twin snakes. I've never played mgs2 more than once, at least past the boat mission. If you like it, i cant say you are wrong but the disappointment i felt with that game is immeasurable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly the worst part of DeS is item burden, especially if you try and pick something up but can't carry it, it reverts to a dropped item that will disappear if you leave to stash some stuff. Tendency is ignorable first time through, upgrading is stupid grindy but unlike later games it doesn't expect you to be able to fully upgrade anything until like NG+++.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Also unrelated but Demon's Souls is 8 on PSN at the moment, I'm currently working my way through SOTFS after playing Bloodborne to death. Will Demon's be too janky to go back to at this stage? I know it's 9 years old by now.

Like others have said, it stands up pretty well, and is hugely atmospheric. In some ways though, it's pretty good that you're going into it after Bloodborne, since they are pretty similar. At least in that you're expected to be dodgy more than anything, since armor is all but useless because ???

Probably the weirdest thing will be the carry weight limit, but so long as you dump all the equipment you aren't using and all your upgrade materials into storage (you can still use them at the smith even if they aren't on your person), you won't really have to worry about it.

Edit: Oh, and some drop rates are real gently caress yous. I never got like half the pures, even in NG++++ runs. :argh:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It will still be fun, the gameplay is cool, its got some of my favorite levels in the series still. Kinda crappy performance in spots but probably a more interesting game than SOTFS.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ramagamma posted:

I've played mgs half a dozen times start to finish, twice more went when you count twin snakes. I've never played mgs2 more than once, at least past the boat mission. If you like it, i cant say you are wrong but the disappointment i felt with that game is immeasurable.

I never thought I'd see somebody still salty about the Raiden swap 15 years later

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

MGSV has nice core gameplay, but it's such a lurching, lifeless, repetitive experience that somehow manages to be both overly padded and immensely thin.

It's a mile wide and an inch deep, but every other game in the series that focused more on a tight experience has a few legs up on it. Going open world really hurt that game.

The FOB stuff and research grind really drags it down too. I put it down halfway through because I felt like I saw most of it.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

In Training posted:

I never thought I'd see somebody still salty about the Raiden swap 15 years later

Deservedly so, it was a deliberate gigantic middle finger straight at his new found audience.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly the worst part of DeS is item burden, especially if you try and pick something up but can't carry it, it reverts to a dropped item that will disappear if you leave to stash some stuff. Tendency is ignorable first time through, upgrading is stupid grindy but unlike later games it doesn't expect you to be able to fully upgrade anything until like NG+++.
Another thing about Demon's Souls is that you should just plain cheat the upgrade materials for weapons. Just do it. Later games made upgrading weapons a lot more user-friendly, so I didn't feel bad when I finally played DeS and glitched all the stones I needed.

EDIT: From a GameFAQs post, here's the duplication trick using Stockpile Thomas:

1. Make sure Thomas has zero of the item you want to dupe.
2. Talk to the blacksmith.
3. Select an item to buy so that the "how many" screen pops up.
4. Walk away like a douche. Do not exit the "how many" menu. Walking away will do this for you.
5. If he complains, either wait it out or skip it.
6. Press SQUARE to activate nexial binding, then press start to decline to use it. I believe that equipping it to square is mandatory.
7. Chat with Thomas.
8. Deposit item. ALL of the item you want to dupe, as attempting to change the quantity will trigger the nexial binding.
9. Confirm. This will trigger the nexial binding, but pressing circle a few times so Thomas will start talking will stop the load screen.
10. Thomas should have 1023 of the item you duped, and you'll have one more than you had before.

No matter how many you withdraw, his number will go down to 99.
You cannot dupe weapons, armor, or rings.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 2, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ramagamma posted:

Deservedly so, it was a deliberate gigantic middle finger straight at his new found audience.

It ruled and the fakeout in 3 if you said you liked MGS2 more also ruled.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ramagamma posted:

:laffo:

It's always funny when people miss the point of MGS2 so thoroughly and completely.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 2, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

Yikes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You really don't need to cheat materials in DeS, since having a max level weapon isn't really needed for NG

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I love you, MGS2.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Any word on if there will be a Week 3 of Sale of the Dead? I'm hoping that SOMA gets discounted. I loved Dark Descent, but I don't really think $30 is a good price point for Fractional Games' stuff.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Edit: Oh, and some drop rates are real gently caress yous. I never got like half the pures, even in NG++++ runs. :argh:

Lol look at this loving noob who didn't grind red-eye skeletons in pure black world tendency for hours until a Pure Bladestone dropped

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

In Training posted:

You really don't need to cheat materials in DeS, since having a max level weapon isn't really needed for NG

Trophies. Not having a plat in DeS and DaS is a sure ticket to full-blown prodromal.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guw posted:

Trophies. Not having a plat in DeS and DaS is a sure ticket to full-blown prodromal.

The demons souls platinum is not even remotely fun though. Its just grinding for mats for 40 hours

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have never enjoyed a MGS game. Come at me bros

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

:laffo:

It's always funny when people miss the point of MGS2 so thoroughly and completely.
Kojima loving with his fans is like his favorite thing, that's why he's amazing

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

In Training posted:

The demons souls platinum is not even remotely fun though. Its just grinding for mats for 40 hours

I know, man. I know.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Lol look at this loving noob who didn't grind red-eye skeletons in pure black world tendency for hours until a Pure Bladestone dropped

I spent more time than any person should grinding skeletons, over and over, forever, and never got one. Ditto the swamp. :negative:

I did get pure moonstone in my first run though, which probably accounts for my horrendous luck with every other drop.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The PSX Metal Gear was pretty awesome and contained way less of the stupid anime crap shoved into all following games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ramagamma posted:

In a vacuum mgs 5 is fantastic but in the real world where people have limited time and budget its perfectly reasonable that someone would bounce off it.

Hell most of it is expectation, a lot of the reason i fell in love with metal gear solid on psx was i knew nothing going in. Phantom Pain had a helluva lot more to live up to by comparison.

Its for that same reason mgs2 is a bad video game.

Jesus Christ what's wrong with you. Mods?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
ehhhhhh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

a shameful boehner posted:

The PSX Metal Gear was pretty awesome and contained way less of the stupid anime crap shoved into all following games.

Otacon would have something to say about this :D

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

a shameful boehner posted:

This is seriously a permabannable offense

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Kojima is a hack and should have the same reputation as David Cage.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
The only Metal Gear I played was the one on the Gamecube, and it did the one really unforgivable game design sin: a boss fight where the boss is invulnerable until you do the correct Special Gimmick Dance the developer wants you to do, which involves psychic powers to know ahead of time. Punched out and never went back until MGSV, where I got the demo and uninstalled after the unskippable intro cutscene went on for literally 10 minutes with no sign of allowing gameplay anytime soon. I wanted to like Revengeance but it's a low-rent charmless Bayonetta.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bosses having a weakpoint is a game design sin?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was having a blast with Super Mario Bros...yeah, until I saw the absolute bullshit they pull at the end of 1-4. What garbage fire person design this hunk of crap?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks for all the Demon's Souls advice. Gonna pick it up and play it once I finish SOTFS

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks for all the Demon's Souls advice. Gonna pick it up and play it once I finish SOTFS

Enjoy, it still my favorite of the games with Souls in the title, but largely probably because its the first one I played

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I played it YEARS ago, like maybe seven or eight years ago at this stage, a friend had it. I got knocked off a cliff by a skeleton in the first hour and gave up. I only got into Souls games after many many attempts and BB was the one that finally clicked. I've actually played all of them to some degree apart from DS3 at this stage.
I am now hideously addicted to the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

palecur posted:

The only Metal Gear I played was the one on the Gamecube, and it did the one really unforgivable game design sin: a boss fight where the boss is invulnerable until you do the correct Special Gimmick Dance the developer wants you to do, which involves psychic powers to know ahead of time.

You don't need to know what to do ahead of time because the game flat out tells you the gimmick if you radio the colonel.

• Locked thread