Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

dangerdoom volvo posted:

what if totems automate to lighthouse mode

Its possible considering they actually made flameblast totems work.

If I am reading it right, it runs into the RF totem problem. Multiple dot's of the same source won't stack so you would need two different sources.

But it doesn't hit so you can't reflect yourself, spell damage applies so if it has a high damage effectiveness it should deal good damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bugsy posted:

If I am reading it right, it runs into the RF totem problem. Multiple dot's of the same source won't stack so you would need two different sources.

It does say that the damage/debuff ramps up, suggesting you might be able to scale damage from multiple sources.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

TheRat posted:

It does say that the damage/debuff ramps up, suggesting you might be able to scale damage from multiple sources.

I was reading that as staging up like incinerate, but I don't know for sure.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Ultima66 posted:

I'm not worried about resist capping wearing all uniques. I want to hit 6500 life.

E: Nevermind here's my calculations. Tree I'll be working with at lvl 93

219% inc life on tree with 5 jewel sockets at 31% total life from jewels = 250% inc total life, you need 1858 base life to hit 6500.

Lvl 93 char helping Oak has 1194 (I believe lvl 1 is not counted for flat life, so a lvl 93 character has 92*12 flat life boost from level + 50 base), Nodes give 52 flat, 204 Str gives 102, so 1348.
Drillneck gives 50, Amulet/Rings give 75 each, belt gives 130 = 405.

This gives a gap of 105. Assuming my gear won't quite be as good as listed, it looks like I have to use 2 rares among hat/gloves/boots to reach the 6500 threshold, and 6700 is definitely doable.

In a crit build you really want the 90%b multiplier from face breakers. And while you can probably get higher life boots than Atziri's the spell dodge is really nice, I don't think it's worth it to give that up for a bit more life.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
When using a multi-attack skill how often does it calculate on-hit bonuses? For example, Lacerate with Multistrike swings 6 times, but is actually 3 Lacerates and only one use of the skill by me, so would something like Onslaught have the potential to trigger on each visible attack (so 6 times), on each Lacerate (3 times) or each combined use of the skill (so 1 time)?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lungboy posted:

When using a multi-attack skill how often does it calculate on-hit bonuses? For example, Lacerate with Multistrike swings 6 times, but is actually 3 Lacerates and only one use of the skill by me, so would something like Onslaught have the potential to trigger on each visible attack (so 6 times), on each Lacerate (3 times) or each combined use of the skill (so 1 time)?

A hit is a hit.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
What items or skill gives chance to gain Onslaught on hit?

Anyway, Lacerate is an aoe skill. So on-hit effects will apply for each enemy you hit. So if you have one enemy in front of you, a single use of Lacerate with Multistrike will gain the on-hit effect six times (assuming a 100% chance to hit). Two enemies, twelve times.

If you run around with Lightning Arrow + GMP + Chain, a single arrow into a mob can get you 45 hits.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ronya posted:

What items or skill gives chance to gain Onslaught on hit?

Anyway, Lacerate is an aoe skill. So on-hit effects will apply for each enemy you hit. So if you have one enemy in front of you, a single use of Lacerate with Multistrike will gain the on-hit effect six times (assuming a 100% chance to hit). Two enemies, twelve times.

If you run around with Lightning Arrow + GMP + Chain, a single arrow into a mob can get you 45 hits.

I thought Raider's Rapid Assault did it but on re-reading it it's on kill.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ultima66 posted:

It's like RF and Searing Bond and Flame Trap. Ignite isn't burn. You can still do can't be ignited enemies.
For some reason, I read the description and thought it had to hit, my bad.

Halfassed skill tree for a laser marauder. Any thoughts? From the tags on it, it looks like a similar build to RF, but no need for AoE or crazy regen on self. Or maybe I should just wait for the drat thing to come out :v:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Are you using something else with Scorching Ray? Not sure why you're picking up EE (Orb of Storms?) or Celestial Punishment (enemies won't be ignited by SR, so no damage boost).

theshim
May 1, 2012

whypick1 posted:

Are you using something else with Scorching Ray? Not sure why you're picking up EE (Orb of Storms?) or Celestial Punishment (enemies won't be ignited by SR, so no damage boost).
Was planning on tossing out Orb of Storms for the EE/EO boost, yeah.

As for Celestial Punishment, I wasn't sure about the wording there, but yeah, if it's only Ignited and not Burning enemies then those points will be reclaimed. Might drop them over into Blood Magic, actually, depending on how expensive the skill ends up being.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Selfcasting a channeling skill that doesn't even let you rotate instantly and also doesn't allow you to leech seems like a bad time.

It's a fire skill, so getting plenty of life regen and life shouldn't be too hard. Too bad life regen is still commonly penalized or even disabled by map mods.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Yeah seems like the deck is stacked against scorching ray as far as mechanics go. Maybe the damage will be way overtuned to compensate :frog:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

5L Barrage with a Death's Opus is probably the fastest I've ever killed the bosses in end of Cruel/Beginning of Merc.

Like holy poo poo I shouldn't even be using poison gem a crit barrage does like Merveil's entire life bar when I have 500% multiplier and it shoots 6 arrows.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Some interesting things you can do with Sire of Shards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ah0AByZN6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHkYraec0Oc

theshim
May 1, 2012

Oh god I'm getting horrible, horrible flashbacks from the Black Hole Frostbolt ones to playing Touhou on Lunatic :stonk:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's good that videos like that exist so I can immediately get it out of my head and stop trying to do something that gimmicky.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

All types of tabs are on sale this weekend, so give GGG your money.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Vasudus posted:

That looks like it's screaming to be put on a totem.
It would be a hell of a lot better to selfcast this and put GMP Ball Lightning on a totem to trigger EE. Especially since Ray needs castspeed, and Spell totem is a serious cast speed hit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bluemillion posted:

It would be a hell of a lot better to selfcast this and put GMP Ball Lightning on a totem to trigger EE. Especially since Ray needs castspeed, and Spell totem is a serious cast speed hit.

Spell totem claims to have a cast speed hit but my flame blasts are the same speed selfcast or totem.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Spell totem claims to have a cast speed hit but my flame blasts are the same speed selfcast or totem.

Yeah I noticed this too, my wither totem casts faster than it should. 0.28 base cast speed, 20% from the tree and nothing from gear, and casts over 4 times a second.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I think the cast speed hit is summoning the totem itself, not how fast the totem casts spells.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rashomon posted:

I think the cast speed hit is summoning the totem itself, not how fast the totem casts spells.

oh god now they will realize it's a mistake and nerf the totem aaaaa

theshim
May 1, 2012

Time to hunt heads.

:getin:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
rip I totally forgot this started today

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
My gfx card just died yesterday so rip Cpl_Blues. Hunt many heads in my name.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I would buy Path of Exile: Descent Champions. It only being a sometimes thing is such a shame.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
If I have Commander of Darkness (You and Allies affected by your Auras have +20% to all Elemental Resistances) and I'm running hatred+generosity, do my minions get the resists? I know I won't (I use clarity for that). Just want to make sure.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yes, minions (along with totems and other party members) are allies.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Not even close (HC of course) :v:

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
Hey, guys. I'm super new to this game (I've cleared Normal Essence, about to move up to Cruel) and I'm just wondering about Resistances. Everyone says that they're super important, and I get that, but where should I be deriving them from as a mostly-Strength build? Does it mostly come from rings and equipment, or are there some passive skill things I should be dipping into for them?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Equipment. Resistances can be rolled on all pieces of equipment, whereas quite a lot of passives can't be rolled on equipment. That being said, there are some passives that grant resistances that are worth it, like the Barbarism branch (life is always good) or the Cloth and Chain branch (more defenses are good).

If you're really in need of resistances, there's the Diamond Skin node (15% all) and its branches (12% for each element) that you can spec into, but spec out of those as soon as you get good enough gear to do so.

All that being said, you may be able to get away with not being capped in Cruel. Merciless? Yeah, cap it. And try to get your Chaos resistance up if you can.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

lovely poker hand posted:

Hey, guys. I'm super new to this game (I've cleared Normal Essence, about to move up to Cruel) and I'm just wondering about Resistances. Everyone says that they're super important, and I get that, but where should I be deriving them from as a mostly-Strength build? Does it mostly come from rings and equipment, or are there some passive skill things I should be dipping into for them?

You should really look into using https://www.poe.trade if you have the time to figure it out. There are some tutorials on youtube by some of the bigger streamers that are pretty worth your while, will give you a much better game experience.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
Thank you both! I'll definitely look into poe.trade. I've heard a lot of people talk about it, and I get the sense that it's pretty much necessary to getting good.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

lovely poker hand posted:

Thank you both! I'll definitely look into poe.trade. I've heard a lot of people talk about it, and I get the sense that it's pretty much necessary to getting good.

Oh you can definitely get quite good without ever trading even once. It's more an understanding of how the game works than simply having the right gear.

Of course, having the right gear is going to make whatever you build that much more effective and enjoyable. Point is that trading is not strictly required if you don't want to.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
trading is a shortcut to the gear you want

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Also note that resistances while useful early game only become super-important later in the game. Mostly after act3 merciless in my opinion.

E: Capped resistances that is, you dont really want to run around with 0% after act 1 normal :v:.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I got one shot by Fidelitas in HC once because I had -10% lightning res in Merciless :cool:

It sucked.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I have no plan and very little racing experience so if you'd like to laugh at my attempts to play this game on stream you can do so here: https://www.twitch.tv/m_rch

I'll be streaming most if not all of the races today and in between that I'll be pushing 40/40 challenges (currently at 38) and also probably playing some overwatch when I get sick of running Atziri.

• Locked thread