Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Barometer posted:

Spawn in front of tank.

I spawned under a tank. On a point we controlled. Literally underneath it, in a crater, and instantly died to a road kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

I've been trying the model 10 slug... Man I want to love it but 93 damage. 93. And you almost never get a chance to take a second shot. Meanwhile you get one-shotted from across the map by any number of rifles.

Hit them with it and then a pistol?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So is there any point to opening battlepacks if you think skins are stupid?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
The slight chance for puzzle pieces for new melee weapons.

That's it.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yossarian is back, in pog form!

Haven't played any BF since we was chuckin wookieballs and camping carriers in BF3.

Good to see some familiar faces here, I won't have much time to play vidjas until the new year. But PS4 players hit me up at Gunshow_Poophole. I'll check out the community too.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I honestly forgot there were even battlepacks in this game. I wonder how many I have stockpiled...

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Any tips on how to fly planes and be good at it? The controls seem more Battlefront than they do Battlefield and it's throwing me off.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Fly in 3rd person

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Subtle manipulation of the throttle. Slow down at the start of the turn, speed up as you push through.

Getting on someone's 6 is all about kicking that throttle forward and back as to stay lined up.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yeah it's turning that's getting to me a lot so far it seems since i'll slow down to take the turn and then by the time i i've turned back around i've stalled out and gotten myself and my unfortunate co-pilots killed :v:

I guess it was to much time in the Jets in 4 that made me think that the controls should be more responsive but with Biplanes you can't really have that can you?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Can't remember what the default controls were, but I find it way easier to fly with up on the stick pushing the nose up. In proper flight sims obviously you'd want that inverted, but jumping into a plane after having up mean up as a footslogger would mess me up. Plus, it's a very casual flight model, this works for me at least.

Had a lovely moment yesterday when a pubbie got pilot onto the tail of an enemy bomber, allowing me to shoot it down from the nose gun. Strangest, slowest dogfight ever, very satisfying.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
The thing with the attack plane is that you can't use the bomber sight if you are flying in 3rd person. So I just fly around in 3rd person until I'm near a flag, then switch to first person and drop a load of bombs... Unless I still have the machine gun selected and then I have to rapidly switch and drat I'm too late and now the point is behind me and I'm approaching this mountain very fast :v:

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I honestly forgot there were even battlepacks in this game. I wonder how many I have stockpiled...

You can scrap duplicate skins and save up for that legendary battlepack or whatever. I think it cost 900 but it's got them jigsaw pieces.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

shut up blegum posted:

The thing with the attack plane is that you can't use the bomber sight if you are flying in 3rd person. So I just fly around in 3rd person until I'm near a flag, then switch to first person and drop a load of bombs... Unless I still have the machine gun selected and then I have to rapidly switch and drat I'm too late and now the point is behind me and now some pubbie has spawned into the cockpit and I'm approaching this mountain very fast :v:

Fixed.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yo Mail if you haven't seen my previous posts, use the flanker light tank or default arty truck for armor supremacy

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

So I've just gotten BF1, I haven't played a BF game or an FPS probably since BF2 or 3.

What are babys first steps for this game? Any classes or guns I should be aiming towards?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

No no, with the attack plane you have both a machine gun and you can drop bombs as the pilot. You don't have to switch seats. But when you zoom in while the bomb is selected as your weapon, you get this handy view of the ground so you can see what you're actually gonna bomb. If you still have the machine gun selected you only see a zoomed in version of what's in front of you.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I was aware of this. Thought you were talking about swapping to the rear gun though. And drat, they need to make it that if a pilot/tanker swaps from the cockpit that randoms can't immediately take over. Fair enough if a pilot bails out, but let me swap seats/get out of the tank for repairs without getting screwed by someone on my team who doesn't know what I'm doing.

Did have a funny version of this last night though. Early in a match, my light tank took a bit of a beating so I jump out to repair as we're still rushing flags. My repair animation stops, and I suddenly hit the tank. Huh. I try to repair again, but hit it twice more. Look up, and there's a red dot over my tank now, and with horror I realise I've been jacked by the enemy. Kills me and drives off. Wasn't even mad, fair play.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Zip! posted:

So I've just gotten BF1, I haven't played a BF game or an FPS probably since BF2 or 3.

What are babys first steps for this game? Any classes or guns I should be aiming towards?

Pick the class suited to your style and start shooting people and using your gadgets to help team mates

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
What's the best way to level up the scout? I want to use that pickaxe melee weapon but it takes forever and laying back and missing most of my shots isn't that fun.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

shut up blegum posted:

What's the best way to level up the scout? I want to use that pickaxe melee weapon but it takes forever and laying back and missing most of my shots isn't that fun.

Flares and the periscope are great for points if you have a semi-competent team.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

shut up blegum posted:

I really like the Gewehr 95 infantry if you would rather play a more forward scout role.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

swordfish duelist posted:

Flares and the periscope are great for points if you have a semi-competent team.

if :D

Auxiliary Treats posted:

I really like the Gewehr 95 infantry if you would rather play a more forward scout role.

Thanks, will try this. Looking through scopes all day isn't that great.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

shut up blegum posted:

Flares will get you lots of spotting/assist points. To get to level one I would just shoot flares at the enemy and rush in with gas grenades and my pistol. Once you hit Scout level 1, you can buy the M1903 Experimental and just play close-mid range attack scout.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
The only thing I don't like about the M95 is the fact that the bloc still has the rounds in it when you reload.

It's the gooniest of peeves. The gun itself is fantastic. I switch between it and the M98 infantry constantly.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Auxiliary Treats posted:

I unlocked the carbine version of this and it's so good

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I had a lot of fun this extended weekend with the A-10 hunter. This thing is a monster.

The game is still casual has hell.

You see dude enter a house, you follow him, stab him, then you get stabbed by a squad guy that just spawned behind you.

Unconfirmed pro-tip: If you are losing, get some fast vehicle and destroy all the anti-air stations, so land has no defense against the blimp.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
So does the game come with auto aim turned on or off by default? I just was reading some posts in this thread and someone mentioned autoaim and well, I am definitely not getting that when I shoot. I also am averaging about 2 kills a match. I am going to go home and see if I have it turned off, that would be incredible if it's the case

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I have basically given up on shooting guns and get most of my kills with the horse sword, so auto aim may be a gamechanger.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Gynecolojustice posted:

So does the game come with auto aim turned on or off by default? I just was reading some posts in this thread and someone mentioned autoaim and well, I am definitely not getting that when I shoot. I also am averaging about 2 kills a match. I am going to go home and see if I have it turned off, that would be incredible if it's the case

It's on by default. You just don't notice it unless it's egregious. It's not why you're averaging 2 kills a game.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

RCarr posted:

It's on by default. You just don't notice it unless it's egregious. It's not why you're averaging 2 kills a game.

I only really notice it when I aim down the sights. Sometimes I'll re-ads just to give a good lock on a guy that's far away or in smoke.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Holy gently caress that periscope thing is awesome!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Am I supposed to use it to hid behind a rock and peek? Is it really that boss?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Anyone else ever get the impression that everyone else's gun is way more powerful than the gun you've got? Like, bad mans are all "that sure is a nice LMG you're unloading into my chest, but check this out: *flicks cigarette in your face*" *dies*

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Anyone else ever get the impression that everyone else's gun is way more powerful than the gun you've got? Like, bad mans are all "that sure is a nice LMG you're unloading into my chest, but check this out: *flicks cigarette in your face*" *dies*

This cracked me up. Thank you :)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

to be fair the LMGs are pretty weak, the default LMG egregiously so

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Finger Prince posted:

The machine guns kind of suck compared to everything else. The BAR can hold it's own up close but for the most part the other guns shoot faster, more accurately (from the first shot), have better damage models, and often have ammo capacity that is just as good. Flinch appears non existent and suppression is a joke so you're not really throwing the other guys aim off. There isn't any range or specific condition where you'd be better served with a machine gun.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
I really miss being able to equip a shotgun on any class.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

I noticed it too. Like even assault vs. assault at medium range, I could spray all day with the default gun and get like 1-2 hit markers, but the other mans with the same gun can kill me in one 3-4 shot burst.

Also, what counts as an explosive for that one medal? I have to get 5 in a life, and I'm mainly hoping I can get a fully loaded heavy tank with a trio of mines, rather than spamming grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

sunday at work posted:

suppression is a joke

it'd be cool if they could implement a "Shell Shock" system where a concentrated amount of explosions and gunfire at one soldier gives them an extended period of extreme suppression