Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

palecur posted:

The only Metal Gear I played was the one on the Gamecube, and it did the one really unforgivable game design sin: a boss fight where the boss is invulnerable until you do the correct Special Gimmick Dance the developer wants you to do, which involves psychic powers to know ahead of time. Punched out and never went back until MGSV, where I got the demo and uninstalled after the unskippable intro cutscene went on for literally 10 minutes with no sign of allowing gameplay anytime soon. I wanted to like Revengeance but it's a low-rent charmless Bayonetta.
Well fair enough, if you can't stand tricks and gimmicks never play a Kojima game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mods change name to psycho mantis' bitch

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Well fair enough, if you can't stand tricks and gimmicks never play a Kojima game

Or a Naramura game, for that matter.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

In Training posted:

Enjoy, it still my favorite of the games with Souls in the title, but largely probably because its the first one I played

This. It was just so unprecedented.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

honestly i felt like Tomb Raider 2013 was just better than Metal Gear Solid 3, i preferred the stealth and melee and thought it had a tighter narrative and better gameplay

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
these last pages have proven that gaming was a mistake

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

abagofcheetos posted:

these last pages have proven that gaming was a mistake

Yeah

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

palecur posted:

The only Metal Gear I played was the one on the Gamecube, and it did the one really unforgivable game design sin: a boss fight where the boss is invulnerable until you do the correct Special Gimmick Dance the developer wants you to do, which involves psychic powers to know ahead of time. Punched out and never went back until MGSV, where I got the demo and uninstalled after the unskippable intro cutscene went on for literally 10 minutes with no sign of allowing gameplay anytime soon. I wanted to like Revengeance but it's a low-rent charmless Bayonetta.

I haven't even played the first game, but you can shoot the statues of him scattered in the room to weaken his power. One might even call them his 'weak spots.'

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Going back to BlazBlue chat I'm sad I don't get to hear Patrick Seitz screaming "bitch!" after every move

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Eurogamer had a good set of retrospectives/deconstructions on the Metal Gear Solid series around the release of Phantom Pain:

Metal Gear Solid: The first modern video game

Metal Gear Solid 2: The first postmodern video game

Metal Gear Solid 3: From Russia with love

Metal Gear Solid 4: Rinse, repeat, resolve?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

palecur posted:

What a shock that someone who posts in Games hates playing video games because they're bad at them

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm pretty sure every cutscene in MGSV can be paused and/or skipped. On PS4 you just press the touchpad thing. As for 4 souring on me, it was amazing the first time I played it because I did it :420: as gently caress in one sitting, but the interminable cutscenes and relatively minimal gameplay really stands out when I try to replay it sober.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Pablo Gigante posted:

What a shock that someone who posts in Games hates playing video games because they're bad at them
i'm the worst at games and I love so many of them

then they sit on my shelf and I watch someone better play them

the Internet is amazing

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

CrashCat posted:

i'm the worst at games and I love so many of them

then they sit on my shelf and I watch someone better play them

the Internet is amazing

If you love a game you watch someone actually good LP it.
If you really love it you watch a speed run.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'd rather just play them

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Getsuya posted:

If you love a game you watch darksydephil
If you really love it you watch Big Saru

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Getsuya posted:

If you love a game you watch someone actually good LP it.
If you really love it you watch a speed run.

When you really love it you watch a speed run and think to yourself "I can totally do that"

(you can't)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFbDs2StZ0&t=594s

Two pages late but BIG SARU is an artist and MGSV is a good stealth game, if nothing else.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I got bored with Witcher 3 very quickly but played SP MGSV for 140 hours. The difference is that, while repetitive, the game play of MGSV is extremely good. Also the enemy AI actually puts up a fight, sends for reinforcements from actual locations in the world, and switch gear depending on your play style. It's great.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't really have any interest in the MGS games but saying that Kojima deserves the same reputation as David Cage is garbage nonsense talk

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

When you really love it you watch a speed run and think to yourself "I can totally do that"

(you can't)

I recently did this Metroid zero mission and did alright, one of the coolest I've felt in recent times playing a game

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
I'm looking for recommendations for my new-to-me Vita. I've barely played Playstation games since my friend had a PS2 when we were kids. I don't like traditional RPGs or anime much, but I do like indie games, and I only have a MacBook (and I don't use VINE) so I figure I'm missing out on some that may've come out on Windows and the Playstation Store. I like Militia on Steam, Battle of Polytopia and Hoplite on iOS, and Tripeaks Solitaire, in case there's anything like Solitairica that uses solitaire mechanics to a different end. I also liked Orcs and Elves on the DS - are there any decent and relatively accessible first-person dungeon crawlers on the PS store?

In short, I like games that put RNG to good use and can usually be played in quick rounds, and there's a lot of things that most gamers think "well everybody's played that" that I probably missed. What should I download on my Vita?

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Mortley posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for my new-to-me Vita. I've barely played Playstation games since my friend had a PS2 when we were kids. I don't like traditional RPGs or anime much, but I do like indie games, and I only have a MacBook (and I don't use VINE) so I figure I'm missing out on some that may've come out on Windows and the Playstation Store. I like Militia on Steam, Battle of Polytopia and Hoplite on iOS, and Tripeaks Solitaire, in case there's anything like Solitairica that uses solitaire mechanics to a different end. I also liked Orcs and Elves on the DS - are there any decent and relatively accessible first-person dungeon crawlers on the PS store?

In short, I like games that put RNG to good use and can usually be played in quick rounds, and there's a lot of things that most gamers think "well everybody's played that" that I probably missed. What should I download on my Vita?

You should definitely play spelunky.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mortley posted:

Persona 4

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Seconding Spelunky, it's a 2d side scroller, basically you are cave diving, its difficult to master and theres cool hidden stuff that you can tottaly ignore if you want to

Mortley posted:

I don't like traditional RPGs or anime much

:psyduck:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you don't like anime or rpgs and you bought a Vita I have terrible news for you...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

They said quick rounds you goober

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Haha, I already got that reaction once. I traded a 3DSXL that I hadn't played in months for it. Owning a console that doesn't have many games that fit my interests isn't quite a catastrophe. The only thing I've bought for it thus far is Tetris Ultimate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll check out Spelunky.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

It's not indie, and you just missed a sale on it, but I've been having some fun with the PSP Classic ZHP Unlosing Ranger Versus Dark Evil Death Man. Title may not be right, but it's a roguelike with a quirky NIS story about being a new superhero.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Most of the good Rogueish games on Vita are also on other things but it's still nice to have them portable. I mean obvious ones would be Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, Downwell, Flame Over and the mentioned Spelunky.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

IS Crypt of the Necrodancer or Enter the Gungeon on Vita? Those seem like prime vita targets.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yes they both are, also Vita has a Shiren the Wanderer game.

edit: wait confused nuclear throne with gungeon, Necrodancer is on Vita.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Idk but a spotty version Nuclear Throne is which is king of the Roguelikes for me

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
You missed a sale on Downwell which is only 5 bucks not on sale but it's a lot like Spelunky in terms of randomly generated stuff. It's a lot of fun.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Thank you, this was a good read. I'm going to do a marathon play now.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Looks like I missed one as well:

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - Portable perfection

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I've always loved the MGS series for the fact that the games would routinely break the fourth wall because they don't give a gently caress. "Check the back of the case, Snake!" Etc. I love all the weird hidden crap that you'd never find without a secrets guide. I even loved MGS4 because the Laughing Octopus fight was amazing and everything I'd hoped the Decoy Octopus fight in MGS1 would be. I always felt ripped off that after all the Decoy Octopus buildup you never got to fight him.

As for Demon's Souls, it's got some dated mechanics but it's still my favorite game of the series. It has the most interesting, creative, and memorable bosses in the entire series even if some of them have gimmicks. None of the bosses in the other games stand out as much as Phalanx, Dragon God, Fool's Idol, Old Monk, Adjudicator, Old Hero, Maiden Astrea, Old King Doran, and False King Allant.

Edit: And the Tower of Latria is still terrifying.

...! fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 2, 2016

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
[unwarranted MGS Twitch plug]

If anyone is a serious MGS insane person you should really follow https://www.twitch.tv/outerheaven

Probably the best channel on Twitch. It is three streamers who play solely Metal Gear games (plus now recently other Kojima stuff like Policenauts and Snatcher which by the way are both amazing), and constantly do marathons that last up to a week at times. Amazing community (Twitch chat is actually good) and phenomenal in depth commentary on the games. I guarantee you will see things you never knew existed in the games the first time you watch one of their in depth runs.

Right now it is hosting one of the streamers playing Legend of Dragoon on his personal channel (lol), but definitely check back.

[/unwarranted MGS Twitch plug]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

...! posted:

I've always loved the MGS series for the fact that the games would routinely break the fourth wall because they don't give a gently caress. "Check the back of the case, Snake!" Etc. I love all the weird hidden crap that you'd never find without a secrets guide. I even loved MGS4 because the Laughing Octopus fight was amazing and everything I'd hoped the Decoy Octopus fight in MGS1 would be. I always felt ripped off that after all the Decoy Octopus buildup you never got to fight him.

As for Demon's Souls, it's got some dated mechanics but it's still my favorite game of the series. It has the most interesting, creative, and memorable bosses in the entire series even if some of them have gimmicks. None of the bosses in the other games stand out as much as Phalanx, Dragon God, Fool's Idol, Old Monk, Adjudicator, Old Hero, Maiden Astrea, Old King Doran, and False King Allant.

Edit: And the Tower of Latria is still terrifying.

I love the demons bosses for a variety of reasons, but I can see why some find them lacking compared to latter design. Demons bosses rely on gimmicks moreso than other bosses in other games, which can make individual first time encounters very fun in an almost platformer style. But it makes repeat plays not as cool because your personal playstyle at the moment doesn't matter as much. It's probably a result of the structure of the game where you are able to do any boss in any order, so they had to be more agnostic to a progression.

It's still a unique game compared to where the series went so it's definitely worth revisiting. Also even though they made 100+ hours of games that takes place in castles before and since, Boleteria still feels like the best they ever did it.

• Locked thread