Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Weak-feeling energy weapons are no less of a sin than weak-feeling guns and it's honestly really surprising to me to hear doom 4 didn't get the feel of weapon impacts right considering how much praise I've heard for the game. That is an absolutely critical part of any action game (by contrast, shadow warrior 2's weapon impacts are meaty and often dismember/deform enemies long before the enemies are even low on health).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

I liked the plasma beam from Metroid Prime though. It felt pretty badass to use because it loving turned common enemies into ash and disintegrated them when you used it on them. Made it feel really powerful since it was a late-game weapon.
Also, the very first thing the game has you do after you get it is go fight some of the flying pirates that have given you trouble all game, and it just vaporizes them. Nintendo are really good at knowing the kinds of experiences they want players to have.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The plasma rifle from Doom 3 and tau cannon from HalfLife 1 are both fantastic energy weapons. The plasma rifle has a nice bassy rhythm, and the Tau has great recoil, blows enemies to chucks through walls, lots of electrical crackling.

I was INCREDIBLY sad Halflife 2 had basically no energy weapons at all.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I dunno, hitting a Combine with the bouncy laser grenade was pretty fun.

It wasn't easy, and it wasn't practical, but it was fun.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

The plasma rifle from Doom 3 and tau cannon from HalfLife 1 are both fantastic energy weapons. The plasma rifle has a nice bassy rhythm, and the Tau has great recoil, blows enemies to chucks through walls, lots of electrical crackling.

Apart from the gravity gun?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The original Plasma gun in Doom makes up for a lack of crunch with a feeling of pure speed- suddenly you're just filling the screen with electric death (and it's particularly good against the Lost Souls who just happen to appear at a similar time.) Of course the converse of that is you eat through ammo even faster than the chain gun.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

tight aspirations posted:

Apart from the gravity gun?

That's a projectile weapon :mad:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

That's a projectile weapon :mad:

Fine, the super-charged Gravity gun, then.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Digirat posted:

Weak-feeling energy weapons are no less of a sin than weak-feeling guns and it's honestly really surprising to me to hear doom 4 didn't get the feel of weapon impacts right considering how much praise I've heard for the game. That is an absolutely critical part of any action game (by contrast, shadow warrior 2's weapon impacts are meaty and often dismember/deform enemies long before the enemies are even low on health).

However wimpy other weapons might feel, the super shotgun, and the rail cannon more than redeem the game regarding that.

They are ridiculously satisfying.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Evilreaver posted:

I like the gluon gun in Black Mesa. Bwaaaaaaaaaaa*out of ammo*

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RyokoTK posted:

I liked the slow motion disintegrating animation enemies do when they're hit by it.

also pinning dudes with heated crossbow bolts.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RyokoTK posted:

That reminds me, the plasma grenade from Halo loving rules. Nothing makes me miss playing 1-3 as a kid with my cousin more than memories of tossing those blue globs.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
One of the best things about grenades in Halo is that they were affected by jump pads, and that they could still be detonated even if they were sitting on the floor.

Throwing plasma grenades up the big jump pads on the super tall map in Halo 3 (Construct, I think) and killing someone at the top felt so drat good.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also, the very first thing the game has you do after you get it is go fight some of the flying pirates that have given you trouble all game, and it just vaporizes them. Nintendo are really good at knowing the kinds of experiences they want players to have.

Wasnt prime almost wholly by retro and nintendo stepped in for design stuff in 2/3?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I just beat Hyper Light Drifter and the two things dragging it down are the chain dash timing being way too tight for any sort of use in combat and that I have no idea what any of the story is beyond "guy is sick, looks for cure, finds other guy who is sick, finds eldritch abomination underground, rocks fall, everyone dies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FactsAreUseless posted:

It was really satisfying to get doubly because any collection you had yet to get was super easy now. Even those big momma sheegoths couldn't absorb the plasma beam. I was glad it came back as the light beam in Echoes, even if due to how Echoes worked, the Dark Beam wound up entirely stealing the show since you could just freeze every annoying enemy and instantly kill them with a missile.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Wasnt prime almost wholly by retro and nintendo stepped in for design stuff in 2/3?

Yep, some of the Zelda team helped with Prime 2 as they did the whole duel world thing back in Link to the Past before.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Nuebot posted:

It was really satisfying to get doubly because any collection you had yet to get was super easy now. Even those big momma sheegoths couldn't absorb the plasma beam. I was glad it came back as the light beam in Echoes, even if due to how Echoes worked, the Dark Beam wound up entirely stealing the show since you could just freeze every annoying enemy and instantly kill them with a missile.

It's funny, because the first time I played Metroid Prime I hated the drat Phazon Mines. Those stupid color troopers prevented me from just using the plasma beam on everything and incinerating the entire last level of the game and I was so mad.

Now, Phazon Mines is one of my favorite levels in the game, because the color troopers are fun as hell to fight and keep the combat fresh by making you use all the weapons and charge missile attacks rather than just taking a victory lap with the plasma beam and snoozing through it.

Metroid Prime is Good.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Nov 3, 2016

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Inco posted:

I just beat Hyper Light Drifter and the two things dragging it down are the chain dash timing being way too tight for any sort of use in combat

That pissed me off. I really like that game but the chain dash is just a major violation of that kind of action game design where you need to be able to cancel / buffer all your poo poo so your inputs arent getting lost because you reacted too quick. It really stands out as bad because all the other actions feel so solid and fast, too.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I got Murdered: Soul Suspect as a chillout game and while for the most part it's pretty inoffensive and nonaggravating as long as you're not obsessive about getting every collectible, the enemy parts are just silly.

Sometimes there are demons floating about. If you get up close behind one you kill it in an easy QTE. If you gently caress it up or it spots you, you need to mash the R2 button to move from hiding place to hiding place for 30 seconds until the demon resets.
It's not difficult, it's not tense, it just pads the game for no particular reason. It feels really obviously shoehorned in that the game developers decided at the end "oh right we should probably have combat or enemies or something like that right?"

In Deus Ex Mankind Divided Prague is divided up into two loadscreens and there are quests that need you to go back and forth. And you can't fast-travel, you need to take the subway. And the worst part is that if you check the map of the world it's literally just a wall splitting up those parts of the city and the whole issue could have been solved in the developers hid a loading screen in the right walkway or whatever.
Also energy is just bioelectric cells now and I can't chow down on protein bars and candy bars. What's the point of the energy limits in these games anyway? Just give me a bar that recharges up to maximum and let me have fun, dammit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RyokoTK posted:

It's funny, because the first time I played Metroid Prime I hated the drat Phazon Mines. Those stupid color troopers prevented me from just using the plasma beam on everything and incinerating the entire last level of the game and I was so mad.

Now, Phazon Mines is one of my favorite levels in the game, because the color troopers are fun as hell to fight and keep the combat fresh by making you use all the weapons and charge missile attacks rather than just taking a victory lap with the plasma beam and snoozing through it.

Metroid Prime is Good.

I felt the same way about it my first time through and now I love it. Same with the pirate frigate. Hated it first time I played because it was slow and dumb but now it's arguably my favorite area in the whole game because of the music and atmosphere. Metroid Prime is really well put together and as much as I love echoes, bits of echoes just crumble apart too much for it to be as solid an experience as Prime is. I'm not sure if it's because, as a lot of people are ready to blame, Nintendo interfered with the development of Echoes and Corruption more than they did Prime or not. But it's kind of funny that the first part of the trilogy still manages to be the best.

As for things dragging things down, to actually be on topic. In echoes I really don't like the Agon Wastes. There's nothing really wrong with it. But that's kind of the thing. There's nothing good about it either. It's a very bland, uninteresting area with no personality or memorable locations, enemies or moments.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bewilderment posted:

I got Murdered: Soul Suspect as a chillout game and while for the most part it's pretty inoffensive and nonaggravating as long as you're not obsessive about getting every collectible, the enemy parts are just silly.

Sometimes there are demons floating about. If you get up close behind one you kill it in an easy QTE. If you gently caress it up or it spots you, you need to mash the R2 button to move from hiding place to hiding place for 30 seconds until the demon resets.
It's not difficult, it's not tense, it just pads the game for no particular reason. It feels really obviously shoehorned in that the game developers decided at the end "oh right we should probably have combat or enemies or something like that right?"

That was what put me off finishing it. Well, that and the terrible auto-save system. Games where you can't save manually always annoy me, but this one in particular as it doesn't save after side-quests, so you have to advance the story after doing them or they'll be undone when you come back.

bewilderment posted:

Deus Ex Mankind Divided What's the point of the energy limits in these games anyway? Just give me a bar that recharges up to maximum and let me have fun, dammit.
The reason I'd always play/recommend the director's cut of Human Revolution over the original is just because of how you get two regenerating energy things instead of one. You have to do the tacked-on DLC, but it's mostly OK.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bewilderment posted:

Also energy is just bioelectric cells now and I can't chow down on protein bars and candy bars. What's the point of the energy limits in these games anyway? Just give me a bar that recharges up to maximum and let me have fun, dammit.

If they just had the Biocells have the same activation noise as in Deus Ex 1 they would've been perfect.

I'm in late game and have a lot of recharge speed upgrades - the limit on recharging means I don't have effectively infinite energy so I can't just invisibly punch everyone out in complete silence.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

F.E.A.R. weapons best weapons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKNfCCWY3PA

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Goddamn.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It's been 11 years, and still nothing has matched FEAR in terms of having amazingly satisfying weapons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Action Tortoise posted:

I liked the slow motion disintegrating animation enemies do when they're hit by it.

also pinning dudes with heated crossbow bolts.

One of my favorite little moments in HL2 that I've never duplicated is that at one point in one of the later chapters you're ambushed by a guy from above. I fired the crossbow and pinned him to the ceiling, leaving him to dangle and spin like a chandelier.

Another game with deeply unsatisfying guns? The Saint's Row games. They're great in so many other respects, but I'm playing 3 for my first time and have upgraded my dual-wielded pistols with explosive ammunition. I was expecting something a little more impressive than a small shower of sparks with every shot. They do a lot more damage, sure, but I was expecting more from exploding rounds.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Speaking of explosive ammo and feelkng good.
Deus ex HR's revolver. While already being entirely capable of wrecking almost any notmal enemy's poo poo with a headshot, the explosive ammo mod for it makes it so it can deal with one of the bosses in a single clip of ammo, and anything lesser than that dies much faster.

It also ragdolls the hell out of anything human sized and sounds sufficiently punchy.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Nov 3, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The .444 Bear Killer in E.Y.E. will never stop feeling awesome to shoot, blasting choppers out of the air with a big honking revolver is cool as hell.

"The most powerful pistol ever made, with an overall length of 348 mm, a barrel length of 237 mm, a weight of 2105 g and a maximun effective range of 1000 m. A tale deals with a man, one day, lost in the forest, who was attacked by a very angry and wounded bear. The man managed to kill the animal with his bare hands. A Techno-Monk of the Holy Forge passed-by and saw the scene. Some days later, the man woke up and found a very strange and heavy pistol beside him; a pistol that could disembowel a bear with a single bullet, and that could even kill several aligned bears in a single shot. The fame of this weapon comes mainly from its unequaled power as a pistol, but also from its unbelievable accuracy. Its recoil, however, is terrific."

And as a token on-topic bit, I wouldn't much say it's dragging the game down so bad, but E.Y.E. has one of the most :psyduck: translation jobs at times.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Nov 3, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wait, don't talk to me now! I'm composin' a sweet gangsta melody! I'm the prince of freestylin', homie!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I bought Spirit Tracks for the Wii-U, I had the game for DS but lost it right outside of the final boss fight and I wanted to finish it.
The flute playing feels even worse on the Wii-U and I'm stuck on the forest sage song. Now I remember why it's my least favorite Zelda.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cythereal posted:

Another game with deeply unsatisfying guns? The Saint's Row games. They're great in so many other respects, but I'm playing 3 for my first time and have upgraded my dual-wielded pistols with explosive ammunition. I was expecting something a little more impressive than a small shower of sparks with every shot. They do a lot more damage, sure, but I was expecting more from exploding rounds.

Uh, are you firing them really slowly to conserve ammunition or something? And also never headshotting anyone? Because one shot to the head will throw a guy off his feet. Sometimes they even do a flip. If you just keep firing you can launch people into the stratosphere.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tiggum posted:

Uh, are you firing them really slowly to conserve ammunition or something? And also never headshotting anyone? Because one shot to the head will throw a guy off his feet. Sometimes they even do a flip. If you just keep firing you can launch people into the stratosphere.

I'm pretty sure regular bullets were already doing that. Or perhaps I'm mistaken, this game's loopy enough that maybe I just haven't been noticing.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

The rocket and laser tanks in Kaiju-A-GoGo and their ability to hit you from approximately a quarter mile away can go gently caress themselves.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

scarycave posted:

I bought Spirit Tracks for the Wii-U, I had the game for DS but lost it right outside of the final boss fight and I wanted to finish it.
The flute playing feels even worse on the Wii-U and I'm stuck on the forest sage song. Now I remember why it's my least favorite Zelda.

I wish the train was faster. I'm also sad that they never brought the Phantom possessing thing back. That was really fun, and it was nice to have Zelda actually around travelling with you for a change instead of being locked away or kidnapped or stuck in a painting or something.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I managed to get the song going, and then got through the temple using the "blow into the mic to use" whirlwind without problems. I know the songs coming up are going to be a nightmare though.
Also the evil trains spawn much earlier than I remember, and they are instant death.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

It always perplexes me when people say they have trouble with the spirit flute, because I was always able to use it without any trouble. I played the game on the oldest, brickiest DS though. Maybe those have more receptive mics?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

It always perplexes me when people say they have trouble with the spirit flute, because I was always able to use it without any trouble. I played the game on the oldest, brickiest DS though. Maybe those have more receptive mics?

I on the other hand, was playing it on one of these.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There's definitely a right way and a wrong way to blow into the DS mic. Seems like there's a sweet spot in terms of distance from the mic and hardness of blowing; if you're too close or blow too hard it just won't pick up.

That one fight in Bowser's Inside Story nearly made me throw my DS across the room until I figured out that you have to blow into the mic just so in order to get a consistent response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RyokoTK posted:

There's definitely a right way and a wrong way to blow into the DS mic. Seems like there's a sweet spot in terms of distance from the mic and hardness of blowing; if you're too close or blow too hard it just won't pick up.

That one fight in Bowser's Inside Story nearly made me throw my DS across the room until I figured out that you have to blow into the mic just so in order to get a consistent response.

I think laying the wii-u pad down helped a bit. And yeah, I seem to have better luck when trying to activate the whirlwind if I don't get my face too close.