Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midwat
May 6, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

It shouldn't be there, they took off in that thing.

Unless it's a replica for MoonMuseum

I liked how Futurama handled it, with a plaque that said the lander was returned by the "Historical Sticklers Association"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
It's 600 years since they left the Milky Way. Turbo nerd fans already calculated the time it would take to reach Andromeda in Citadel ships going at max speed to be around 550 years.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Spikeguy posted:

Hopefully that means we won't get another Old Ones Big Bad to take their place.
I'm a big 'ole fan and apologist of theirs, but let's be fair - this is BioWare we're talking about.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm usually cool with it. Baldur's Gate 2 had an OP dude but at least it was one dude. Jade Empire and DA:I had you taking on dudes that were basically gods but in the game it was explained you could handle it. The Reapers were just too much. They should have made them fewer in number or make it so them getting here was the game over screen and you had to prevent it. I actually really like the Reapers as characters, just not how there was an infinite number of them (for all intents and purposes.)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'd be ok with a big evil empire or something

please no more ancient evil though

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Spikeguy posted:

I'm usually cool with it. Baldur's Gate 2 had an OP dude but at least it was one dude. Jade Empire and DA:I had you taking on dudes that were basically gods but in the game it was explained you could handle it. The Reapers were just too much. They should have made them fewer in number or make it so them getting here was the game over screen and you had to prevent it. I actually really like the Reapers as characters, just not how there was an infinite number of them (for all intents and purposes.)

It really did seem like they were being made into "extremely difficult, but beatable with a lot of luck" opponents before, but then ME3 decided that they would be invincible and basically magic for their "big, dumb action" direction.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Ever since someone in this thread pointed out how weird it is that your ultimate antagonists of your spaceman squad game are giant alien space battleships, I can never stop thinking about it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
So this is basically Mass Effect: Inquisition? Does it look like it's going to be any kind of fun? Are they wasting time offering a dozen different romance options again?

I'm confused by the teaser, are they building a mini citadel? Who got up to that when everything was being used to build the catalyst? If this was pre-Invasion, why was the government giving so much push-back about reapers ~not being real~ if they thought it was real enough to build ark ships?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They're building a giant ship that will contain a contingent of representatives from Citadel space and sending them to the Andromeda system to begin colonization. Maybe they believe in Reapers, maybe not, but think of it as a backup plan just in case.

So the game will be about exploring the new galaxy, and it sounds like it shares some things with DA:I such as setting up camps and missions to get resources and such. I forget everything else, but there was a survey that gave more of an explanation.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If this was pre-Invasion, why was the government giving so much push-back about reapers ~not being real~ if they thought it was real enough to build ark ships?

Couple possibilities:

1) It was something they were going to do anyway and the Reaper War caused them to launch early and pray they'd make it

2) they didn't entirely believe Shepard but considered the possibility that there might be more to Sovereign than just Sovereign and quietly built the ark ships as a just-in-case

3) they believed Shepard more than they let on and concluded that actually fighting the Reapers (without knowing about the Crucible) was a lost cause, so the ark ships were their actual Plan A all along

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So this is basically Mass Effect: Inquisition? Does it look like it's going to be any kind of fun? Are they wasting time offering a dozen different romance options again?

Outside of leaks we still know very little about the game. We haven't even seen any real game play videos yet.

Monday looks to be the big info dump, so we won't really know until then.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Beefstew posted:

It's 600 years since they left the Milky Way. Turbo nerd fans already calculated the time it would take to reach Andromeda in Citadel ships going at max speed to be around 550 years.

Yeah, Relay travel only works if there's already relays there so they need to use sub-light travel methods. And since their usual method of travel relies rather heavily on being able to discharge static/heat in a planetary gravity well they're probably just doing one massive push and coasting the rest of the way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I need to romance the Turians.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Geostomp posted:

It really did seem like they were being made into "extremely difficult, but beatable with a lot of luck" opponents before, but then ME3 decided that they would be invincible and basically magic for their "big, dumb action" direction.

No they weren't. Mass Effect 1 went through pains to show how hard it was to beat one reaper, which only died because it was sitting there after it downloaded itself into Saren's spooky scary skeleton.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Alain Post posted:

No they weren't. Mass Effect 1 went through pains to show how hard it was to beat one reaper, which only died because it was sitting there after it downloaded itself into Saren's spooky scary skeleton.
Yeah, one way or another, it was pretty clear from the start that ultimate victory over the Reapers was only ever going to be achieved by Shepard slapping a button. Or shooting it, maybe.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Andromeda is Game Informer's December cover

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Sombrerotron posted:

Yeah, one way or another, it was pretty clear from the start that ultimate victory over the Reapers was only ever going to be achieved by Shepard slapping a button. Or shooting it, maybe.

I wish we could have had an epic super sayan battle like the end of Path Of Neo...

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Alain Post posted:

That one reaper needed a geth fleet and control of the citadels defences to pull the attack off to begin with. And until then the reapers whole deal was setting up an elaborate trap that lets them cripple the galaxy with an overhelming surprise attack, then reap at their leisure with no real opposition.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They also reverse engineered the liquid metal mass driver weapons from sovereign's wreckage that could one shot the collector ship, but then never mounted them on anything else and are never seen again.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

They also reverse engineered the liquid metal mass driver weapons from sovereign's wreckage that could one shot the collector ship, but then never mounted them on anything else and are never seen again.

oh, they were

the missile batteries you see in the battle for earth are "Thanix missiles"

yes I know it doesn't make sense to turn liquid metal mass drivers into missiles, but that's par for the course with everything tied up in the ending

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Avalerion posted:

That one reaper needed a geth fleet and control of the citadels defences to pull the attack off to begin with. And until then the reapers whole deal was setting up an elaborate trap that lets them cripple the galaxy with an overhelming surprise attack, then reap at their leisure with no real opposition.

Basically. Sovereign knew it couldn't survive the combined might of the citadel fleet while it opened the relay for the Reaper fleet. The citadel defense fleet isn't by any means the biggest in the galaxy either, so the Reapers depend on isolating each civilization and having overwhelming numbers of Reapers. This cycle was different, and through bad writing they never went after the citadel with their combined fleet to regain control and shut off the relay network so there were massive fleet battles that they hadn't had to deal with before.

Anyway, my guess for ME:A is the council believed Shepard but didn't want to cause a panic, so they prepared an "exploration" expedition to Andromeda as a backup.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Mass Effect : Acquisition

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pattonesque posted:

So is she, like, the only companion? Is she Elena to Ryder's Drake?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Continuing the trend of having stupid looking helmets, I see.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

First thought:

"That completely superfluous torso belt combined with the angle makes her breasts look huge."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
ME:A "dawn of the reapers"

It's a time travel game where you go back in order to create the reapers. This time, you ARE the reapers.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

marshmallow creep posted:

So is she, like, the only companion? Is she Elena to Ryder's Drake?

There's a third person right there in the picture.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Is it too early to make a ME:A thread?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't want to let go of this thread.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

No please lord let it die. And let all it's sins burn in perdition with it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Spikeguy posted:

No please lord let it die. And let all it's sins burn in perdition with it.

I'm suddenly reminded of Homeworld Cataclysm, when you fire the siege cannon for the first time.

BUUUUUUUUUURN.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'd wait for Monday to make a new thread

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/793875354746224640

https://twitter.com/livitherpia/status/793877954073952256

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pattonesque posted:

Couple possibilities:

1) It was something they were going to do anyway and the Reaper War caused them to launch early and pray they'd make it

2) they didn't entirely believe Shepard but considered the possibility that there might be more to Sovereign than just Sovereign and quietly built the ark ships as a just-in-case

3) they believed Shepard more than they let on and concluded that actually fighting the Reapers (without knowing about the Crucible) was a lost cause, so the ark ships were their actual Plan A all along

4) They did believe Shepard, but like the Protheans, they went dark on their moonshot project so the Reapers wouldn't learn about it.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

I choose to believe this is what Councilor Tevos meant by "continuing civilization" after Thessia falls.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Do we know that it wasn't launched -after- the ending of 3? It would make a bit more sense then to have an uplifting message from Shep to see everyone off like in that trailer.

Also, do the arks have a quantum communicator? They could have stayed in contact for the whole journey?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Alain Post posted:

I need to romance the Turians.

Same, plus krogans :kimchi:

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
It's going to be Cerberus behind it all.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

Do we know that it wasn't launched -after- the ending of 3? It would make a bit more sense then to have an uplifting message from Shep to see everyone off like in that trailer.

Also, do the arks have a quantum communicator? They could have stayed in contact for the whole journey?

The Mass Effect series has generally been good about not contradicting player choices, even in the extended media. If they're not doing save imports it would make sense for for the Arks to leave before the end of ME3 to avoid having to canonise one of the endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

Earth in that teaser with the Arks seems very not-destroyed, so that looks like before?

what I figure is this -- the Arks were spaceworth but not necessarily finished by the time the Reapers hit, and as soon as, say, Mars goes dark they launch them all immediately. some have problems and possibly get blown off course a bit

• Locked thread