Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

Nate RFB posted:

In the time since 2012 I've cut my cable; what are the general suggestions for streams and/or twitter accounts to follow election night to find out when states are called? I'm trying to remember when 2012 was called in general because I don't remember staying up too late but it was probably still like midnight or something.

2012 was called the instant California polls closed, so 8pm Pacific, 11pm Eastern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/793860641887051777

Another +4 in PA

Although this was +10 at its highest. Still, a lead.

That's a bit more narrow than I'd like to see :/.

Renon Vesir
Apr 24, 2008

OddObserver posted:

What in the world are Indiana and Kentucky thinking !?

I can't speak for Indiana, but half of Kentucky is in a different time zone.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

OK, so -

If NC is called for Clinton, you can go to sleep, she won.

I hope she wins NC just so I can go to bed when I feel like.

After that is Florida as the next decider.

If not that, then we have to wait a long time until we hit Nevada to be 100% certain.

If Trump doesn't pick up NH, WI or CO then she's already won before you get to Nevada.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

FactsAreUseless posted:

Anyone else want to say this?

Nah I'm cool

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Do phone banks regularly call cell phones? I've never gotten a poll or survey and no one I know has either, and we're all cell phone only sorts.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

This thread has too much digging through the crosstabs to unskew polls.

No poo poo. The election is less than a week away, and you're probably not a better armchair pollster than that company. If the polls are right, Hilldog wins. If they're wrong, it will be because the pollsters made a universal error that by definition couldn't be predicted. So who cares.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Palace Station is pretty ghetto but holy hell that seafood bar is :kiss: and I'm not even a big seafood fan.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

theflyingorc posted:

OK, so -

If NC is called for Clinton, you can go to sleep, she won.

I hope she wins NC just so I can go to bed when I feel like.

After that is Florida as the next decider.

If not that, then we have to wait a long time until we hit Nevada to be 100% certain.

Add an hour and an hour and a half to any state you think might be too close to call immediately.

Unless it turns into a bloodbath 9 is about the earliest to expect to know the results. As always it's not going to tick to 270 until after 11 when the west coast comes in.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FactsAreUseless posted:

Anyone else want to say this?

Say the words FAU: Radical D&D Moderating. :yeah:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

You'd likely enjoy this two-part conversation between Obama and Marilynne Robinson if you haven't read or listened to it yet - Part I, Part II.

Thanks for this.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Why do you think that? Doesn't everyone screen calls to some degree?

Some random examples of a variation would be poor people with debt collector calls are more likely to screen, while olds who don't know how smartphones really work would be less likely. Also what the other guy said about Spanish speakers not responding.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Since I know other people are going to ask about this: apparently the post didn't get reported right away, and the TFR mod only found out about it a few minutes ago, and then I dug up the unedited version that was quoted in this thread. He was, in fact, banned almost immediately for it. TFR takes that sort of post really seriously, which is also why the admins generally let moderators make most of the actual probation/banning decisions. They actually know the forums and the posters in question.

Edit: I also realize that I should have just reported the post or PMed it to the mod myself, but legit didn't think of it at all. Nobody's perfect.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

CascadeBeta posted:

I don't know if it's unskewing to go "Hey this poll of loving Las Vegas doesn't have a meaningful Hispanic response."

Its also notable that Clark County is an enormous portion of Nevada. If you dive deep into the crosstabs and say "hey, in this Florida poll, lower class hispanic millennials with a college degree are voting Trump! That doesn't sound right, so the whole thing is invalid", then you are doing it wrong. At that tiny level you just figure the errors in each small subgroup will offset each other and you are still good at the state level, and if its off, well just throw it into the averages anyway and it won't move the needle much.

Clark County is a massive chunk of Nevada, and if you try to tell me its going Trump, I don't need to go any further, the pollster hosed up somewhere.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Julio Cruz posted:

If Trump doesn't pick up NH, WI or CO then she's already won before you get to Nevada.

You're correct, I thought that the count of 258 already included Wisconsin - it doesn't. Trump needs to flip Pennsylvania to have any sort of chance, which is basically where he's been all year.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FactsAreUseless posted:

TFR mods take that stuff really seriously, don't think they're ignoring it.

makes sense

have there been any others? checking the perma list is kinda difficult since it's so clogged w/ dare

FactsAreUseless posted:

Since I know other people are going to ask about this: apparently the post didn't get reported right away, and the TFR mod only found out about it a few minutes ago, and then I dug up the unedited version that was quoted in this thread. He was, in fact, banned almost immediately for it. TFR takes that sort of post really seriously, which is also why the admins generally let moderators make most of the actual probation/banning decisions. They actually know the forums and the posters in question.

Edit: I also realize that I should have just reported the post or PMed it to the mod myself, but legit didn't think of it at all. Nobody's perfect.

hell yeah

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

farraday posted:

Add an hour and an hour and a half to any state you think might be too close to call immediately.

Unless it turns into a bloodbath 9 is about the earliest to expect to know the results. As always it's not going to tick to 270 until after 11 when the west coast comes in.

If Clinton takes all the swing states and upsets in Arizona it could potentially end at 9pm:

e: removed Nevada case; I had forgotten to disable Hawaii

Smackbilly fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 2, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

WampaLord posted:

No matter what the result, this truth remains. I look forward to the post analysis by places like FiveThirtyEight.

"Were we actually that wrong? It depends on what you mean by the word wrong." - by Nate Silver

He will just hide behind the idea of statistics and probably "it said it could happen not that it would happen".

The problem is that in many cases modeling based on polls without the raw data is a fool's errand because polls have particular biases which are not random and do not lend themselves to correction via statistical analysis. He needs the raw data, not published aggregates and cross tabs.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

FactsAreUseless posted:

There is even a sticky in TFR saying that threats towards presidential candidates are immediately punishable by a ban and probation.

The comments in this thread about it made me see if I could find the post just out of curiosity, and I think reading posts in TFR about the election has scarred my soul.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Renon Vesir posted:

I can't speak for Indiana, but half of Kentucky is in a different time zone.

That's actually worse, though, it makes it 5pm local.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Palace Station is pretty ghetto but holy hell that seafood bar is :kiss: and I'm not even a big seafood fan.

At this point I honestly would think you are my mom, but she's not a Seahawks fan. Seriously, she loves Palace Station.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

OH gently caress THIS MOUSE, double post

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

makes sense

have there been any others? checking the perma list is kinda difficult since it's so clogged w/ dare
Not many. By all reports, TFR is one of the best-behaved gun forums on the internet. I don't have any basis for comparison, but there's a reason it's still part of the forums.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Northjayhawk posted:

Its also notable that Clark County is an enormous portion of Nevada. If you dive deep into the crosstabs and say "hey, in this Florida poll, lower class hispanic millennials with a college degree are voting Trump! That doesn't sound right, so the whole thing is invalid", then you are doing it wrong. At that tiny level you just figure the errors in each small subgroup will offset each other and you are still good at the state level, and if its off, well just throw it into the averages anyway and it won't move the needle much.

Clark County is a massive chunk of Nevada, and if you try to tell me its going Trump, I don't need to go any further, the pollster hosed up somewhere.

And again - if we take that pollster uncritically - Hillary wins Florida.

We don't NEED Nevada to be unskewed.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mr Hootington posted:

The hotel is overpriced too.

It's not all that bad, comparatively. But hotel prices in Vegas are pretty much not worth looking into because they're all over the map based on any number of things.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

gently caress you Trump for inciting a mob to abuse a reporter/reporters

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Smackbilly posted:

If Clinton takes all the swing states, it could hit 270 at 10pm (with Nevada), or possibly 9pm (with an upset in Arizona):

That's a stupid scenario depending on the idea all states are able to be called as soon as the polls are closed.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Khisanth Magus posted:

There is even a sticky in TFR saying that threats towards presidential candidates are immediately punishable by a ban and probation.

The comments in this thread about it made me see if I could find the post just out of curiosity, and I think reading posts in TFR about the election has scarred my soul.

Makes sense, I assume lowtax doesn't want to talk to the secret service every other week.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not many. By all reports, TFR is one of the best-behaved gun forums on the internet. I don't have any basis for comparison, but there's a reason it's still part of the forums.

iirc there's just that one murder/suicide incident from like '06 where the guy asked tfr about some kinda ammo

even yospos has a higher deathcount

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?60-General-Discussion

https://www.ar15.com/forums/

freckle fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 2, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

It is the only good gun forum on the internet. While I like guns and would like to continue owning them, gun culture is incredibly toxic, and I hate gun nuts.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Northjayhawk posted:

We also have actual early voting numbers coming in that have the Democrats building up a lead similar to what they had in 2012 when Obama carried it by 6.5%

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Shifty Pony posted:

He will just hide behind the idea of statistics and probably "it said it could happen not that it would happen".

The problem is that in many cases modeling based on polls without the raw data is a fool's errand because polls have particular biases which are not random and do not lend themselves to correction via statistical analysis. He needs the raw data, not published aggregates and cross tabs.

The question is - how do you call Nate Silver "wrong"?

The only way you can prove that a probability distribution is right or wrong is to run it thousands of times and noting that it roughly converges to the point you set it at. You can't run iterations of an election.

Smackbilly posted:

If Clinton takes all the swing states and upsets in Arizona it could potentially end at 9pm:

e: removed Nevada case; I had forgotten to disable Hawaii
Clinton is not going to win Ohio this year.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Smackbilly posted:

If Clinton takes all the swing states and upsets in Arizona it could potentially end at 9pm

The states don't just have to close, the have to be called, which will happen long after 9 PM for some of those states.

Here is a timeline showing when NBC called some states in 2012. Obviously it won't be exactly the same this year, but that's a ballpark.

EDIT: Here's a list of the AP calls from 2012, which is a lot more complete/legible than what I linked to above.

yoctoontologist fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 2, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

Easily, you point at all his bullshit punditry articles. The model itself is just doing it's thing, but there's also an argument to be made that his model bakes in way too much risk of "all the polls are wrong."

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

OddObserver posted:

Nah, the times are all in EST. Part of Kentucky is EST and part is CST. So, polls close at 6pm for all inhabitants. Still dumb but not that dumb.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

In about 2120 after another 100 years of presidential elections, our descendants will probably have enough data to announce that Nate Silver was too conservative in his model. To which, everyone around them will ask "who is Nate Silver?"

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

theflyingorc posted:

The only way you can prove that a probability distribution is right or wrong is to run it thousands of times and noting that it roughly converges to the point you set it at. You can't run iterations of an election.

Clinton is not going to win Ohio this year.

The probability thing is deceptive though because if you did the actual election 500 times you'd probably get the same result 500 times. The probabilities reflect uncertainty, not random chance.

Renon Vesir
Apr 24, 2008

OddObserver posted:

My state isn't exactly known for being smart.

The western half of the state shuts down an hour after the eastern half does, as they're an hour 'behind'. If you go by EST only, half of the state is done at 6:00 and the other is done at 7:00.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Clinton +6 in the best WI poll.

• Locked thread