Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lestaki posted:

It's Gaelio, for pity's sake. Him reflecting on another character's confidently avowed 'pride' would be proof enough by itself after his characterization in season one. What interested me is that he wasn't as angry and obsessed with vengeance as I expected him to be. He mostly just sounded slightly amused and slightly sad while talking to Julieta.

Earth branch are dead as a dodo, but we knew that already. Rustal initially struck me as a bluff man of fundamental decency but it's clear he is as vicious a schemer as they come, which I suppose I should have anticipated. Julieta's trust in him will probably be betrayed before the end.

Makanai talking about how if you take the shortest possible path to your goals you will inevitably trip was a little on the nose.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the bit with Gaelio, I'd assume that Julieta was definitely doomed. She's the loyal subordinate who doesn't get why the boss is working with shady characters, and that's not a career with much future in it, no matter how much poo poo you wreck in combat. But with Gaelio in the wings, she might have a chance, if he's willing to put anything on the line to prevent seeing another Ein situation. Curious how it'll all play out.

As for Earth Branch, they're going to get cheesed, but I wouldn't be surprised if Takaki gets out alive. He's got the death flag version of three stooges syndrome. There are so many reasons he's going to die that none of them can predominate enough to actually kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Actually given the distance between mars and earth and the fact that McGillis is stationed in earth might mean that Tekkadan could end up owing him a favor faster than we could have imagined.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I doubt he could have Gjallarhorn interfere...so maybe we'll see the Grimgerde again.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I like how Gali-Gali has turned from Garma into a far closer fit to the Char archetype than McGillis ever was.

He has a filter on his voice this ep, but I'm pretty sure he didn't in his last appearance and it was straight up Gali's voice.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I think I like Space Hitler better than Space Benedict Arnold right now.

Also, I figured Robo-Gali was thinking about Carta when he was talking to Julieta, but yeah he's also talking about Ein and himself.

Orga made it explicit that he doesn't do too much long-term thinking.

And I had a reaction a lot like Orga's when I realized why Mika doesn't like peeling fruit.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Okay, I'll admit, I don't know why he doesn't like peeling fruits. Is it the arm thing, or what?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bman in 2288 posted:

Okay, I'll admit, I don't know why he doesn't like peeling fruits. Is it the arm thing, or what?

Yes. It's hard to do with just one hand.

bondster
May 6, 2007

DId we always know that Chad's full name was Chad Chadon? Because that is another Gundam-as-gently caress name.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

bondster posted:

DId we always know that Chad's full name was Chad Chadon? Because that is another Gundam-as-gently caress name.

He mentioned his name during an episode preview, and yes, it's very Gundam. He also complained that the audience had no idea who he was.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Chad was one of the slave soldiers so I thought maybe his crazy last name was him creating his own. That made it sort of endearing to me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Chad was one of the slave soldiers so I thought maybe his crazy last name was him creating his own. That made it sort of endearing to me.

Yeah, I don't remember the name getting revealed before and I'm pretty sure him looking surprised when Makanai called him by his full name was him being surprised he'd just been given a last name, like a real person instead of human débris.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, I don't remember the name getting revealed before and I'm pretty sure him looking surprised when Makanai called him by his full name was him being surprised he'd just been given a last name, like a real person instead of human débris.

That's a pretty cute headcanon, but...

Blaze Dragon posted:

He mentioned his name during an episode preview, and yes, it's very Gundam. He also complained that the audience had no idea who he was.

He's been Chad Chadan since S1.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
:rip: my good assumption.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Darth Walrus posted:

Colour pics for the Vidar are out, and... uhh... Gaelio really isn't taking his betrayal well, is he? :stare:

He's modified the Kimaris to look like McGillis's Schwalbe Graze.

Oh ja that's some obsession.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I'm wondering if Gaelio will be going the "cold and surgical" style of revenge or will go full "roaring rampage" style once the ball gets rolling.
The mask implies the former, but the new paint-job implies the latter.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

galagazombie posted:

I'm wondering if Gaelio will be going the "cold and surgical" style of revenge or will go full "roaring rampage" style once the ball gets rolling.
The mask implies the former, but the new paint-job implies the latter.

The fact that Gaelio went incognito and joined up with McGillis's greatest political rival to work against him on the down low rather than immediately going to the Seven Stars and publicly accusing/denouncing McGillis suggests that he's being very patient about this. Given that Gaelio is a Seven Star himself, he could pretty easily show up and drag McGillis's name through the mud in a protracted he said/she said situation, but it wouldn't guarantee McGillis couldn't weasel out of it in some way. By faking his death and feeding information to a powerful individual like Rustal he's playing the long game by assuming that Rustal will be eventually able to knock McGillis down to size with Gaelio's aid. The fact that McGillis is now aligned with Tekkadan must strike Gaelio as a wonderful bit of luck re: vengeance.

My question is if Gaelio is 100% totally on board the "gently caress McGillis at all costs" wagon or if he still harbors any of his old desire to reform Gjallarhorn.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

The fact that Gaelio went incognito and joined up with McGillis's greatest political rival to work against him on the down low rather than immediately going to the Seven Stars and publicly accusing/denouncing McGillis suggests that he's being very patient about this. Given that Gaelio is a Seven Star himself, he could pretty easily show up and drag McGillis's name through the mud in a protracted he said/she said situation, but it wouldn't guarantee McGillis couldn't weasel out of it in some way. By faking his death and feeding information to a powerful individual like Rustal he's playing the long game by assuming that Rustal will be eventually able to knock McGillis down to size with Gaelio's aid. The fact that McGillis is now aligned with Tekkadan must strike Gaelio as a wonderful bit of luck re: vengeance.

My question is if Gaelio is 100% totally on board the "gently caress McGillis at all costs" wagon or if he still harbors any of his old desire to reform Gjallarhorn.

Well, he did pick the Arianrhod fleet, who presently seem like one of the better Gjallarhorn factions. Rustal's methods are extreme, but he does so far seem like a reformer who believes that McGillis is a key part of his organisation's corruption, and will use any means necessary to take him down.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, he did pick the Arianrhod fleet, who presently seem like one of the better Gjallarhorn factions. Rustal's methods are extreme, but he does so far seem like a reformer who believes that McGillis is a key part of his organisation's corruption, and will use any means necessary to take him down.

The Arianrhod fleet was the military force responsible for carrying out the slaughter of the Dort worker unions and were totally on board with killing the gently caress out of Kudelia for daring to maybe want to negotiate with Arbrau. I think the only factions that exemplified the sort of corruption McGillis wanted to root out more clearly were his father and the dude originally in command of Martian Gjallarhorn.

Rustal doesn't seem to have stated any intention to reform anything yet; his focus has so far entirely been attempting to sabotage McGillis by proxy(trying to snipe Sandoval out from under McGillis/Tekkadan, setting up this war that Earth Tekkadan are fixing to blunder into to reflect badly on both Tekkadan and potentially McGillis if his connection to them is revealed) in order to consolidate power under his faction.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 2, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

The Arianrhod fleet was the military force responsible for carrying out the slaughter of the Dort worker unions and were totally on board with killing the gently caress out of Kudelia for daring to maybe want to negotiate with Arbrau. I think the only faction that exemplified the sort of corruption McGillis wanted to root out more clearly was the dude originally in command of Martian Gjallarhorn.

Rustal doesn't seem to have stated any intention to reform anything yet; his focus has so far entirely been attempting to sabotage McGillis by proxy(trying to snipe Sandoval out from under McGillis/Tekkadan, setting up this war that Earth Tekkadan are fixing to blunder into to reflect badly on both Tekkadan and potentially McGillis if his connection to them is revealed) in order to consolidate power under his faction.

They seem to be placing a sharp divide between the old Arianrhod fleet, which did the Dort massacre, and the new one, a fairly morally-unobjectionable group of pirate-hunters. Rustal may be ruthless, but giving a commoner the (very public) honour and status he's given Julietta is a huge political statement in the intensely classist society Gjallarhorn is built off, and doesn't fit with the 'massacre the proles to keep them in line' stance of the old Arianrhod. He's just not publicly sharing enough views of the Gjallarhorn we saw last season to feel like a traditionalist holdout, which makes it much more plausible that his extreme actions are a result of genuine concern about what Gaelio's told him about the new rising star of the organisation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume Gaelio doesn't want to do anything to instantly set McGillis off because McGillis still has his sister and would probably (or at least he assumes he would) murder her in a heartbeat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
We also don't know how much human is left in Gaelio. It could be a great part of his calmness is because he is machine enough to not put out strong emotions to do short-sighted things.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Setting up an assassination attempt of one of the economic leaders in the planet to destabilize the tenuous peace there puts Rustal in either the same or maybe an even worse boat than McGillis in the greater scope of things. Rustal just seems like a guy that's acting entirely on his best interests to retain his position of top dog in the 7 star

e- I mean just look at their motivations right now as presented

McGillis- Gjallarhorn is corrupt we need to fix it at any cost (I don't entirely believe this is his sole motivation)

Rustal- We need to remind people why they need Gjallarhorn at any cost.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 2, 2016

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Tae posted:

We also don't know how much human is left in Gaelio. It could be a great part of his calmness is because he is machine enough to not put out strong emotions to do short-sighted things.

Then why give us that humanizing moment with Julieta, hinting at a possible emotional connection? I think that the plot will tempt him with an easy path to revenge, but it remains to bee seen if he'll take it...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really hope McGillis doesn't know Gaelio is still alive, and Gaelio actually manages to gently caress up his plans. Things have been all according to keikaku too long for McGillis, I want his downfall to come from something he never saw coming

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really hope McGillis doesn't know Gaelio is still alive, and Gaelio actually manages to gently caress up his plans. Things have been all according to keikaku too long for McGillis, I want his downfall to come from something he never saw coming

I think you rather want a Monster ending than Gali Gali taking his revenge, then.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Setting up an assassination attempt of one of the economic leaders in the planet to destabilize the tenuous peace there puts Rustal in either the same or maybe an even worse boat than McGillis in the greater scope of things. Rustal just seems like a guy that's acting entirely on his best interests to retain his position of top dog in the 7 star

McGillis- Gjallarhorn is corrupt we need to fix it at any cost (I don't entirely believe this is his sole motivation)

From Season 1, McGillis also seemed to have a bit of a complex due to being a bastard or whatever.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never saw Monster.

But now that you mention it, Charlize Theron would make a pretty good live-action McGillis.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought that person meant the Naoki Urusawa Monster. And even if they didn't you should watch it anyways.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think this very much depends on how existential a threat he believes McGillis to be based on how much Gaelio has told him. It's entirely plausible for him to think that kicking off a limited war in order to weaken and remove a cancerous part of the organisation that keeps the solar system from exploding is better than letting that organisation collapse and actually having the solar system explode. To be honest, we can't even be entirely sure he's wrong - we're still not fully up on what McGillis's plans are, and given that the OP includes a shot of him at his absolute slimiest, reminding us every episode of why we're supposed to hate him, I really doubt that the show's going to go 'you know, he's not so bad after all'.

As for Rustal himself, I can't stress enough how big a deal the Julietta thing is. Classism is the core evil of the Post Disaster world, responsible for pretty much all of its injustices. There's Ein being constantly poo poo on for being a no-name provincial commoner. There's Tekkadan being poo poo on for being no-name provincial commoners. There's the Human Debris, the bottom of the social food chain, who are literally denied their personhood. There's the manufactured prejudice against cybernetics, which primarily affects those too poor to either get proper medical treatment or find work that doesn't require them to be altered. There's the colony massacres, regular, scheduled cullings of the poor to keep them in line. There's McGillis's origin story, the bastard son abandoned in appalling property who was finally brought back into the fold when he became politically useful (but was never allowed to forget that he was a lesser mortal anyway). In that context, a high-ranking aristocrat takes significant damage to his reputation (according to Gaelio) in order to promote a commoner to the position of chief shitwrecker of the mightiest, most prestigious fleet in the solar system and showers her with cool toys for the simple reason that she's the most competent person for the job. That's pretty huge, and makes it much harder for me to believe that Rustal is operating without at least some principles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I thought that person meant the Naoki Urusawa Monster. And even if they didn't you should watch it anyways.

Yes, Monster is extremely good. Watch (or read) Monster. Also Pluto.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Oh wow I didn't know s2 began already. Is it off to a decent start?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
It is very strong, yes, and pretty much continues seamlessly from the first cour.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They're at least not doing the SEED Destiny/Code Geass/ Gundam 00 thing of getting the gang back together and doesn't seem like they were suddenly forced to add battles for no reason.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They still have to give us, as the viewers, a reason to think McGillis needs to be taken down. He betrayed his friends, yeah, but they were still antagonists to the main cast. He's an rear end in a top hat and a bastard but he hasn't done mass murder yet.

We're more sympathetic to them but Tekkadan is a far more morally bankrupt group.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Zerilan posted:

Oh wow I didn't know s2 began already. Is it off to a decent start?

The main characters are in basically the same mobile suits as they left off with, having some reasonable (and awesome) upgrades given the minimal time break. So that's pretty neat.

However, there are approximately 10,000 new named characters, many of which come from Humongous Previously Unheard-Of Factions That You'd Think We'd Have Heard Of. Which is only slightly overstating the case.

In terms of Gundam series, it looks good.

muike posted:

They still have to give us, as the viewers, a reason to think McGillis needs to be taken down. He betrayed his friends, yeah, but they were still antagonists to the main cast. He's an rear end in a top hat and a bastard but he hasn't done mass murder yet.

We're more sympathetic to them but Tekkadan is a far more morally bankrupt group.

Are there any villains right now? I mean they captured the one guy who was just a pirate. But it seems like the show really only has randos of questionable morals. No obvious space nazis.

I mean the Big Bad in a different world would be Tekkadan, for popularizing Human Debris. But our heroes are Human Debris, so unless we're going for total party kill I'm kind of wondering where they can go. Aside from bringing in a Char.

Oh hey look.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The real enemy is poverty

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

One interesting thing with the episode, I thought is that they finally seem to be splitting Mika and Orga apart for awhile since they're sending Mika to Earth. I think that has some good potential for character growth.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Gorelab posted:

One interesting thing with the episode, I thought is that they finally seem to be splitting Mika and Orga apart for awhile since they're sending Mika to Earth. I think that has some good potential for character growth.

Especially if what I think is going to happen, happens: Orga gets in over his head, and lacking any physical heavies (because he's sent them all with Kudelia), he gets taken hostage. Maybe by Gjallerhorn, but possibly by Teiwaz, if he goes to far overboard.

Mika's initial reaction alone would be glorious.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I wonder if the show is going to be able to end for Mika or any of the kids really in an environment that allows them to deal with their trauma in a healthy way. I think Mika's probably too far gone, but in his case, it's probably for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mika just wants to cultivate his farm, we already seen his endgame if things end peacefully.

• Locked thread