Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

nate fisher posted:

Salem's Lot I would guess to a first time viewer is not that scary at all. I just can't watch it now without connecting it to my first time watch as a kid in 1979. Fear through nostalgia?

That's a real thing. See: Trilogy of Terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

nate fisher posted:

Salem's Lot I would guess to a first time viewer is not that scary at all. I just can't watch it now without connecting it to my first time watch as a kid in 1979. Fear through nostalgia?

I would guess so. The atmosphere is good, the effects competent and I think the most you could describe it as is "creepy"/"unsettling".

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a real thing. See: Trilogy of Terror.

The movie where nobody can describe the other two stories.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

nate fisher posted:

I'm the same way with It.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Exactly. I find that people even argue about how that episode actually ended, even if we all agree on the night terrors it invoked.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'd even go to bat for RETURN TO SALEM'S LOT. It's a Larry Cohen joint and really has little to do with the original, but it is at least interesting.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Just read 'Salem's Lot the book and forget about the movies.

Not only is it much more scary, King's words convey so much more about Barlow, and the life of the town, than any movie ever could. The conversations between Barlow and the priest in particular are very powerful.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Just read 'Salem's Lot the book and forget about the movies.

Not only is it much more scary, King's words convey so much more about Barlow, and the life of the town, than any movie ever could. The conversations between Barlow and the priest in particular are very powerful.

I do love how King establishes everyone in the town. It makes it seem a living, breathing place. Too often the temptation is write it so that these are people that the protagonist will encounter along his journey, but that isn't always the case here. Sometimes he meets them, sometimes he doesn't. It's like that chapter in THE STAND where King talks about the other survivors and the accidents that befell them. He doesn't need to do it (Though it is one of the best things he's written), but doing so makes the world immediately outside the novel feel alive.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

The movie where the other two stories are so unmemorable my mind replaces them with any two stories from Creepshow and assumes they were all in the same movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Finally finished 11/22/63. Really got drawn in by Al's optimistic plan which I'm sure was an intentional hook on King's part to make you forget about standard "Don't gently caress around with the past" stuff. The fabric of time falling apart was maybe a little too much to add on to all the other negative impacts of stopping the assassination, it's probably there to keep people from thinking Jake could go back and continue to mess around until he got it right. The country not being ready for stuff that would have happened in Kennedy's second term and regressing badly is a plausible enough outcome. All that said the ending was really well done despite being kind of a kick in the balls. I was going to read End of Watch next but I might need to take a break from King for a while.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

dirksteadfast posted:

The movie where the other two stories are so unmemorable my mind replaces them with any two stories from Creepshow and assumes they were all in the same movie.

I'm not sure why they put the same Jordy Verrill story in twice, but w/e

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Finally finished 11/22/63. Really got drawn in by Al's optimistic plan which I'm sure was an intentional hook on King's part to make you forget about standard "Don't gently caress around with the past" stuff. The fabric of time falling apart was maybe a little too much to add on to all the other negative impacts of stopping the assassination, it's probably there to keep people from thinking Jake could go back and continue to mess around until he got it right. The country not being ready for stuff that would have happened in Kennedy's second term and regressing badly is a plausible enough outcome. All that said the ending was really well done despite being kind of a kick in the balls. I was going to read End of Watch next but I might need to take a break from King for a while.

end of watch is a break from king into the realm of koontz

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Charlie the Choo-Choo is coming soon!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Maybe it's just me but Charlie's looking a little high or something, not particularly sinister or threatening. I'll check it out though.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Maybe it's just me but Charlie's looking a little high or something, not particularly sinister or threatening. I'll check it out though.

Well it is a Children's book, so I'd much rather he be stoned than scary. There are plenty of books for scaring children, and apparently Uncle Steve wanted to distance himself a bit from it, with the Nom de Plume and all that.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
Apparently it won't ever be for sale, it was just a promotion for the movie: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/22/charlie-choo-choo-stephen-king-dark-tower-comic-con

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Pheeets posted:

Apparently it won't ever be for sale, it was just a promotion for the movie: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/22/charlie-choo-choo-stephen-king-dark-tower-comic-con

Nope.

https://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Choo...e+the+choo+choo

That is to say, a limited run was made for Comic Con, but of course they're making it a wide release because it's basically printing money.

Edit: Also, check the dates on the stories. Yours is from July, the other is from October.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Pheeets posted:

That's an old article, it is actually coming out now, you can pre-order as an ebook or hardback.

https://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Choo-Choo-world-Dark-Tower/dp/1534401237/

Edit: beat

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The best part about the Comic Con thing was they hired someone to be Beryl Evans.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Ornamented Death posted:

Nope.

https://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Choo...e+the+choo+choo

That is to say, a limited run was made for Comic Con, but of course they're making it a wide release because it's basically printing money.

Edit: Also, check the dates on the stories. Yours is from July, the other is from October.

Okayfine

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I think I used to live in a house up on a Hill in Orrington Maine that was built right next to Stephen King's former house where he wrote Pet Sematary. First eight years of my life before I moved down to the Portland metro area. We used to drive by it and the pet cemetery all the time amongst the dangerous, winding roads. Recently checked it out before a Ringo Starr concert last June and I swear the whole town is still stuck in the 90s.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I'm reading The Shining right now and really enjoying it. I just read the part where he finds the scrapbook and it was the most tense scrapbook scene I've read since the other scrapbook scene in Misery

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Is it at all possible to find the version of The Stand that doesn't have the additional 400 pages? I've heard it's the superior version but I can't find it anywhere.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Slackerish posted:

Is it at all possible to find the version of The Stand that doesn't have the additional 400 pages? I've heard it's the superior version but I can't find it anywhere.

Used book stores, Goodwill, eBay, craigslist... It's pretty easy to find, since it was published for over a decade without the 400 pages. You'll be able to find it easily and cheap, but you aren't getting it new.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I started a re-read of "It." My first real full re-read since 1996 or so. It's fascinating how young the grown-up Losers are - it's very "Old Economy Steve."

And so much fat hate. He really works it in on like, every other page.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I started a re-read of "It." My first real full re-read since 1996 or so. It's fascinating how young the grown-up Losers are - it's very "Old Economy Steve."

His son is worse.

Every single story in 20th Century Ghosts has a fat bad-guy. Every. Single. Story.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

I hate to bring up the "product of its time" excuse, but of all the authors and all the stories, "It" is probably the number one example where that excuse isn't an excuse but kind of a yardstick. There's a been a sea change in tolerance over the past ten years along with a categorization of rear end in a top hat behavior from the general (racism; sexism) to the specific (x-shaming; y-hating) that's useful in any kind of political or social discourse but maybe not so good at historical studies - and King, because he's been writing so much for so long, is kind of a historian.

It's certainly fair to look at King's work through that modern lens, but that lens is kind of walleyed. King's "fat hating" in "It" isn't "fat hating" so much as it is capturing the societal mentality of the time (the 80's were pretty loving vile in a lot of ways, and so were the 50's). I think being an American cultural historian who takes some dark and untouched pictures (sort of an inverse Norman Rockwell) is something King's really good at, which is (one of the reasons) why his early stuff like "It" still sells thirty years later.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'd imagine he wrote it how he saw it and not because he personally hated fat people in the early 1980's.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 2, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Franchescanado posted:

Used book stores, Goodwill, eBay, craigslist... It's pretty easy to find, since it was published for over a decade without the 400 pages. You'll be able to find it easily and cheap, but you aren't getting it new.

Yep. You can get it ultra cheap on Amazon etc. I just bought a book (not King) for 1p (2c) + p&p. One click and its on its way to my door. Back in the day booksellers had printed catalogues of used books in stock. It took dedication to get hold of rare books, now all it takes is money (and not even much of that).

I do think the shorter version reads better and has a better start and end (plus all the stuff I've posted about before).

nikitakhrushchev posted:

I'm reading The Shining right now and really enjoying it. I just read the part where he finds the scrapbook and it was the most tense scrapbook scene I've read since the other scrapbook scene in Misery

I love that part, just as I love that history part in Salem's Lot (and the short story). While I think the film is great, I miss that sense of the Overlook as a microcosm of 20th century history - Howard Hughes, great depression, Las Vegas gambling, the mafia, etc. The TV version has the scrapbook, doesn't it?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Before I read The Shining, I'd heard about the supposedly creepy chapter with the topiary animals. I always thought this was dumb and would come across as such and ruin my life... Then I read the book.

That chapter unsettled the poo poo out of me. That man can effing write.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

3Romeo posted:

I hate to bring up the "product of its time" excuse, but of all the authors and all the stories, "It" is probably the number one example where that excuse isn't an excuse but kind of a yardstick. There's a been a sea change in tolerance over the past ten years along with a categorization of rear end in a top hat behavior from the general (racism; sexism) to the specific (x-shaming; y-hating) that's useful in any kind of political or social discourse but maybe not so good at historical studies - and King, because he's been writing so much for so long, is kind of a historian.

It's certainly fair to look at King's work through that modern lens, but that lens is kind of walleyed. King's "fat hating" in "It" isn't "fat hating" so much as it is capturing the societal mentality of the time (the 80's were pretty loving vile in a lot of ways, and so were the 50's). I think being an American cultural historian who takes some dark and untouched pictures (sort of an inverse Norman Rockwell) is something King's really good at, which is (one of the reasons) why his early stuff like "It" still sells thirty years later.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'd imagine he wrote it how he saw it and not because he personally hated fat people in the early 1980's.

I generally agree with that, and it's a big reason that I, having read King for almost 40 years now, still revisit and re-read his work regularly. His books are probably the most perfect time capsules of anyone in mainstream fiction - he really captures the zeitgeist without trying to make Big Statements About Society. His pathologizing of fat people is generally consistent with the attitudes of the era - that if you're fat, it's because you're pathologically eating as a self-medicating behavior and this is a sign of larger character flaws. He manages this in every single thing he writes, but there's just so MUCH of it in "It" that it's really surprising on a re-read.

As a counterpoint, I'm shocked at how the way he treats the gay characters at the beginning is the total opposite of this. There's a ton of compassion and humanity there, not just two fruitcake caricatures - they're fully realized characters and aren't pathologized.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

I generally agree with that, and it's a big reason that I, having read King for almost 40 years now, still revisit and re-read his work regularly. His books are probably the most perfect time capsules of anyone in mainstream fiction - he really captures the zeitgeist without trying to make Big Statements About Society. His pathologizing of fat people is generally consistent with the attitudes of the era - that if you're fat, it's because you're pathologically eating as a self-medicating behavior and this is a sign of larger character flaws. He manages this in every single thing he writes, but there's just so MUCH of it in "It" that it's really surprising on a re-read.

As a counterpoint, I'm shocked at how the way he treats the gay characters at the beginning is the total opposite of this. There's a ton of compassion and humanity there, not just two fruitcake caricatures - they're fully realized characters and aren't pathologized.

That's a really great point about Adrian and his boyfriend. King wrote them very well - no surprise there, given his talent for characterization - and far ahead of the time; I only remember the front half the 80's but by all reports it wasn't exactly a great decade to be gay in America. One thing King does in that section that I really admire is the way he gives even the "good" cops (Gardener and Rademacher) a low-key homophobia. They may be more humane than their contemporaries, but they're still police in a blue-collar Maine town under Reagan.

Tying that back into the whole fat-hating thing, I guess it just never stuck out to me aside from characters who hate themselves for being that way, like Ben or Harold in The Stand (and Harold's more vile acts occur after he loses weight).* Does any of his more recent stuff have fatty villains? There's Big Jim Rennie but he was more a caricature of Cheney than anything else.

*Even Annie Wilkes I don't think is described as fat, per se, but I'll have to go back and look.

edit: sorry for the disorganization of that reply, I knocked it out during a quick break at work

Asbury fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 3, 2016

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Having just read Misery I can say that Annie was definitely described in some extremely unflattering ways, some of which I doubt King would employ today. That said, it was her bulk and solidity that he focused on rather than calling her "fat."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please don't call psychotic murderers fat

April
Jul 3, 2006

3Romeo posted:

That's a really great point about Adrian and his boyfriend. King wrote them very well - no surprise there, given his talent for characterization - and far ahead of the time; I only remember the front half the 80's but by all reports it wasn't exactly a great decade to be gay in America. One thing King does in that section that I really admire is the way he gives even the "good" cops (Gardener and Rademacher) a low-key homophobia. They may be more humane than their contemporaries, but they're still police in a blue-collar Maine town under Reagan.

Tying that back into the whole fat-hating thing, I guess it just never stuck out to me aside from characters who hate themselves for being that way, like Ben or Harold in The Stand (and Harold's more vile acts occur after he loses weight).* Does any of his more recent stuff have fatty villains? There's Big Jim Rennie but he was more a caricature of Cheney than anything else.

*Even Annie Wilkes I don't think is described as fat, per se, but I'll have to go back and look.

edit: sorry for the disorganization of that reply, I knocked it out during a quick break at work

I read The Bazaar of Bad Dreams a while ago, but it seems to me that pretty much every terrible person was also a lardass. Like, from what I remember, something like a third of the stories had a nasty character who was fat.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Let's be honest, if you're setting a story in any sort of modern america, there's going to be a bunch of fat characters around.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Turns out not all obese people are particularly jolly.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Turns out I quite liked REVIVAL. It helps I was listening to the Audiobook read by David Morse, who is a great reader, but even before the third act turn I thought it was well-written and interesting. I'd like to see King take a shot at just something that was relatively straight because with this and DOCTOR SLEEP he does just fine.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Regarding the It movie, it'd be good if they updated the monsters to something like Bill Cosby and his ilk.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Regarding the It movie, it'd be good if they updated the monsters to something like Bill Cosby and his ilk.

BEEPBEEP RICHIE WITH THE BEEPIN AN THE BOOPIN AND THE BBBBRRRPPBRRRRPBOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Take this drink and you'll float Beverly, they all float after dinner down here.