Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Update to my rear end in a top hat father-in-law saga - got the deed, it does in fact say we own 1/3. He (her dad) signed the contract with the realtor and has said we've earned 37% of the house. It doesn't appear he's trying to screw us or anything at this point, thankfully, but I feel much more prepared now that I know our rights. We're moving forward and will list the house in Feb (yes, I know that's a ways off, but we have roommates that need to look for new places and both of us need to finish out the holidays at our jobs).

Also, I'm obsessively looking at houses in Denver now... I could buy a house just as big as ours now, with a huge backyard and a finished basement for 250k there. What the gently caress am I still even doing in the bay area!?!

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also, I'm obsessively looking at houses in Denver now... I could buy a house just as big as ours now, with a huge backyard and a finished basement for 250k there. What the gently caress am I still even doing in the bay area!?!

This inspired me to look up what it would be like to move out of downtown Atlanta closer to where I work. I could get a slightly nicer house almost straight cash...

Maybe I should flip houses instead of going to business school.

Kinson
Nov 25, 2007

Working hard for the money.

The Big Jesus posted:

This inspired me to look up what it would be like to move out of downtown Atlanta closer to where I work. I could get a slightly nicer house almost straight cash...

Maybe I should flip houses instead of going to business school.

Safer when the zombie apocalypse happens as well.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Update to my rear end in a top hat father-in-law saga - got the deed, it does in fact say we own 1/3. He (her dad) signed the contract with the realtor and has said we've earned 37% of the house. It doesn't appear he's trying to screw us or anything at this point, thankfully, but I feel much more prepared now that I know our rights. We're moving forward and will list the house in Feb (yes, I know that's a ways off, but we have roommates that need to look for new places and both of us need to finish out the holidays at our jobs).

My house I got for 270k in Hillsboro would have costed 600k in Walnut Creek. gently caress the Bay Area so, so hard. I appreciate it essentially more than doubling my salary in two years and giving me hella good leverage in Portland, but I 100% do not miss that area at all.

Edit: Scratch that, it's actually 750k in Walnut Creek now. 600k's in Concord.

gently caress
THE
BAY
AREA

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

Speaking of areas where rent is unjustifiably higher than a mortgage payment.. I've been looking into buying small homes in the 60-70k range that rent for 1-1.2k per month. But in researching the dynamics of this type of market I came across this chart:

Jesus Christ look at that mess. Rents are starting to flatten out, at a time when younger people are deciding to keep renting at record rates.

That gap between mortgage payments and rent is a poo poo ton of profit for someone.

If lenders are losing owner occupant business I wonder if they'll come up with new products that make it easier to buy investment properties without 30% down and other worse terms.

I just wanna point out that this chart goes to 2012, and it's 2016 now. Also that asterisk at the end suggests to me maybe the 2012 number is projected from even earlier. And I'm curious what that subheading "vacant properties" really means: it might mean the chart is excluding rental units in nonvacant properties... like apartment buildings?

In 2012, tons of people had just bought foreclosed houses. Housing prices were hitting their lowest point in 2011, so it's not suprising to me that in 2012, rents massively outpaced house prices: remember all those people evicted from foreclosures had to immediately join the rental market, while tens of thousands of foreclosed houses sat vacant for months or in some cases over a year, just waiting for banks to work through their huge backlogs of inventory.

I'm betting it is a very different picture in 2016.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 26, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Unfortunately Californians are treated very poorly out here, we don't take kindly to a single one of them. Also we all walk around carrying AR15s every day, it's basically the wild west and also the food is terrible hope that doesn't freak you out because we're not loving changing. Goddammit please stay there.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Offer accepted on a house in Guam, with 4% seller credits. I guess the fun begins now.
Wonder if I can get Chinese missile insurance.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I actually tell people I'm from Texas (which I was technically born there) because it's treated with less hate than saying I'm from California in Portland.

People loving HATE Californians.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

Unfortunately Californians are treated very poorly out here, we don't take kindly to a single one of them. Also we all walk around carrying AR15s every day, it's basically the wild west and also the food is terrible hope that doesn't freak you out because we're not loving changing. Goddammit please stay there.

We'll have something in common then, because I hate California too!

Or maybe I'll just hang out with all the other transplants. Either way, having a few people dislike us for being transplants is a small price to pay for moving to a place I can actually afford.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

DirtyFalcon posted:

Offer accepted on a house in Guam, with 4% seller credits. I guess the fun begins now.
Wonder if I can get Chinese missile insurance.

You'll need tree snake insurance for sure.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
All you losers invaded California first, it's only fair we get to invade backwards.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

Cleveland, Indianapolis, mobile/Birmingham, and a few other areas are like this. I feel like I'm missing something because this seems too easy. Once you have half a dozen or more properties any issues with one become much less impactful overall. If I could get a 500-750k portfolio loan I could buy 10 properties and pay back the loan in ~7 years after other expenses and management fees.

The places where you can buy property that cheap will be economically depressed. Many of the financially qualified tenants will buy a home instead. The vacancy rate will be higher. It is more work managing 10 properties than it is to manage one or two. It is harder and more expensive to finance 5+ properties.

ohjoshdarnit
Nov 2, 2005
Adventurer
Would you consider a house worth any more or less if it included a downstairs studio apartment? If so, how much would that range be?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ohjoshdarnit posted:

Would you consider a house worth any more or less if it included a downstairs studio apartment? If so, how much would that range be?

The thousand-dollar question: is it a legal apartment?

ohjoshdarnit
Nov 2, 2005
Adventurer

minivanmegafun posted:

The thousand-dollar question: is it a legal apartment?

Ah, I will need to verify this, but it looks like from a zoning perspective my county and town are pretty lax. They only aren't allowed in industrial or mineral zones. Assuming it meets the building requirements to be a legal apartment what do you think?
FWIW I wouldn't say I'm seriously considering buying it yet - just exploring. We know someone who is selling a house and have an idea of their ballpark, but it includes the rental suite and also a downstairs preschool/daycare that we would run. They seem to be factoring in the rent money in valuing the business aspect of the sale overall which I think is a bit off.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'd rather just have more space in my primary residence.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Alereon posted:

If your dad had someone helping him he shouldn't be in the mess he is now. Be honest, did he find this house himself using Redfin or something? He needs to walk away and find a good agent that will help find him properties that suit him and shepherd him through the process. Someone who will tell him "it's cheap because it's poo poo, and maybe you don't want to deal with a neglected foreclosure."

To return to my thread gimmick, has your dad considered building a new manufactured/modular home? You can often find good property with a tear-down home, and a good quality* manufactured home installed properly will appreciate for 30 years. As a cash buyer you can also get good deals on manufactured homes that have been moved or are older than 1986 (soon to be '87) since banks won't touch them. If they were moved properly it's fine, if the sections were reconnected shittily then the house will always be poo poo. Similarly older manufactured homes are perfectly fine unless the roof or something goes and isn't addressed promptly, once water gets in they basically melt. If you do replace the roof and do other maintenance properly manufactured homes will stay house-like for quite some time.

*Like most manufactured products they come in tiers, the cheaper ones truly are disposable, but the better quality ones with house-like looks and specs will last exactly as long as you maintain them.

I wonder why all the hate for Redfin among you guys. My wife and I have been using an agent from Redfin and it's been great.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I have nothing against Redfin at all, in that specific case though it seemed like the guy really needed a traditional agent to earn their commission guiding him through the process and helping him find right house for him. I look at Redfin as offering a solution for people who want to do more of the whole process themselves and thus pay a smaller commission, as is the trend these days. I used Redfin to browse for houses, and if the Redfin minimum for my area hadn't shot up past my budget I may have used a Redfin agent.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

ohjoshdarnit posted:

I would like it because then I could have my mother in law move into my basement, which would unironically be a dream for her for some reason.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Bozart posted:

I would like it because then I could have my mother in law move into my basement, which would unironically be a dream for her for some reason.

Do you like smashing your balls with a sledge hammer? I mean the easy child care is great but drat that close all the time gets old fast. The sweet spot is 20 minutes away.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

People all over the world live normal lives in the same homes as their extended families.

Anyway yes, having a rentable subspace as part of your home is a bonus. How much of a bonus is directly related to its condition, rentability, and most of all, your local rental market. The only downside that I can see is if you're selling the home to someone who doesn't need the additional kitchen, so the space dedicated to the useless kitchen is wasted; or if the sub-apartment is only accessible from outside, which would be annoying if you just wanted the space as part of your living space.

But yeah, exactly how much extra that feature is worth is super dependent on specific factors; exactly what neighborhood you're in in particular, plus the square footage, condition, and features; without which any goon's guess would be just a wild guess.

ohjoshdarnit
Nov 2, 2005
Adventurer
Ok thanks everyone for your feedback.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I often wonder about people who have these opinions now will feel when they are 70+ years old.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As someone who isn't having kids, I'm counting on the robots to take care of me.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Alereon posted:

I have nothing against Redfin at all, in that specific case though it seemed like the guy really needed a traditional agent to earn their commission guiding him through the process and helping him find right house for him. I look at Redfin as offering a solution for people who want to do more of the whole process themselves and thus pay a smaller commission, as is the trend these days. I used Redfin to browse for houses, and if the Redfin minimum for my area hadn't shot up past my budget I may have used a Redfin agent.
Well, the "finding the property" part is kind of up to you but beyond that I've found they've been pretty good about holding our hands through this process. Maybe it depends on who you get though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Kirios posted:

I often wonder about people who have these opinions now will feel when they are 70+ years old.

That is what gold diggers are for.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Oh no we found something we really like and are readying ourselves to make an offer :|

RIP our current co-op that's a huge but lovable pain in the rear end that's super cheap

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Negotiating on a house for mom. Sellers are stupid. If your house has been on the market for a year and is overpriced you can't refuse to negotiate.

If your house has a 40 year old furnace and original electrical panel when others at the same price have recent hvac and updated panels you're gonna have to come down a bit.

Yeah you bought it in 2005. Sucks for you.

Edit: will screw fuses pass fha?

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 2, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

Negotiating on a house for mom. Sellers are stupid. If your house has been on the market for a year and is overpriced you can't refuse to negotiate.

If your house has a 40 year old furnace and original electrical panel when others at the same price have recent hvac and updated panels you're gonna have to come down a bit.

If you have a really good agent, they should be having some "Come to Jesus" talks with the seller agent. That was the best part of the last nightmare of a purchase I made. My agent made the seller agent realize how unreasonable the sellers were and it reduced some of the friction.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hughlander posted:

That was the best part of the last nightmare of a purchase I made.

We aim high in this thread.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

Depending on your state, you should be able to ask for a seller's assist to cover the upgrades. The seller still gets to see their dumb sale price on the paper, and it actually works out better for you than a price reduction - a price reduction of $10,000 only saves you $2,000 up front if you're putting 20% down, whereas a seller's assist of $10,000 is $10,000. Ask for the maximum allowed assist.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

We aim high in this thread.

I really mean to write it up as a catharsis. Just a hint of things to come. I had to exploit IRS split testing to close on time.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Erwin posted:

Depending on your state, you should be able to ask for a seller's assist to cover the upgrades. The seller still gets to see their dumb sale price on the paper, and it actually works out better for you than a price reduction - a price reduction of $10,000 only saves you $2,000 up front if you're putting 20% down, whereas a seller's assist of $10,000 is $10,000. Ask for the maximum allowed assist.

This is a really good idea. Then the seller can tell all his friends and relatives that he held out for asking price and got it.

That being said, be prepared to walk away if they don't go for it.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hughlander posted:

If you have a really good agent, they should be having some "Come to Jesus" talks with the seller agent. That was the best part of the last nightmare of a purchase I made. My agent made the seller agent realize how unreasonable the sellers were and it reduced some of the friction.

Their agent is already taking half commission to try and get them to move. This is a cheap house. They're asking 85. I offered 70, they countered at 77 and said "but we can't go further we'd be losing money!!!!" And I'm trying to get 74 now.

Erwin posted:

I don't want to wait for the poo poo to get done and be suspicious of the work. We need to get this done asap. Bad situation with current housing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

Their agent is already taking half commission to try and get them to move. This is a cheap house. They're asking 85. I offered 70, they countered at 77 and said "but we can't go further we'd be losing money!!!!" And I'm trying to get 74 now.

Given the upgrades it needs you're looking at pouring ~25%+ back into it immediately @ $77k for HVAC and electrical redo, I assume it needs pipes as well. Is this really the house for you? Have you looked up what they actually bought it for on Zillow/Redfin? Is renting for a year a better option if your current housing is that bad? How many months would it take to makeup the $3k split you're asking?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

I don't want to wait for the poo poo to get done and be suspicious of the work. We need to get this done asap. Bad situation with current housing.
No, a seller's assist is just money that the seller pays to net out closing costs. You then take that money and fix the issues with whichever contractor you prefer whenever you choose. You're also not required to use that money to fix the issues. Another advantage to a seller's assist is that the realtor still gets their commission on the higher purchase price.

Edit to quantify it:

Scenario 1 - reduced sale price
They wan 77, you want 74. Let's say they come down to 74. Assuming 20%, you put down $14,800 instead of $15,400 and now have $600 more left in the bank to deal with the repairs, and your mortgage payments are a few dollars per month cheaper. If you're putting less down, you save even less money up front.

Scenario 2 - seller's assist
You agree on 77 with a 6% seller's assist (max in PA). That means you put down $15,400, but the seller pays $4,620 towards your closing costs, which means you have $4,020 more left in your account than scenario 1. At closing you'll have a big ol' check for down payment + closing costs - earnest money - seller's assist. This scenario leaves mad stacks in your bank account that you can use to repair the issues, or keep for an emergency fund, or buy strippers for your housewarming or whatever.

The seller can negotiate the seller's assist down, but at the end of the day it's seller net neutral whether it's an assist or a price reduction. It benefits you greatly.

Edit 2: Actually my scenarios are not equal. If you got a $3,000 seller's assist instead of a $3,000 price reduction, you'd have $2,400 more left in your account.

Erwin fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 2, 2016

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

H110Hawk posted:

Given the upgrades it needs you're looking at pouring ~25%+ back into it immediately @ $77k for HVAC and electrical redo, I assume it needs pipes as well. Is this really the house for you? Have you looked up what they actually bought it for on Zillow/Redfin? Is renting for a year a better option if your current housing is that bad? How many months would it take to makeup the $3k split you're asking?

To clarify, my wife and I are buying this for her mom. We are non occupant co borrowers on an FHA loan and are asking for 6% back from the seller because we want to immediately fund a $4k furnace replacement fund.

The house is 2 bed 1 bath built in 41. Its extremely simple, all plumbing in one wall, and seems to be in really good condition other than being mostly original/last updated in the 70s.

Most of the stuff at 80k is 3/1 or 3/2 with questionable remodels. She doesn't need 3 bedrooms, and that 3rd bedroom makes the living spaces and kitchen much smaller, so a well kept 2/1 is what we all agreed was best.

Also yes we will be making the payments on the house my attorney will be sorting out the title structure to keep possible drama to a min. We are prepared to pay the house off and never see the money again, will not be on the title, and are just doing this for her. If she wants to leave the house to us fine, but for now this is 100% a gift.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Erwin posted:

Scenario 2 - seller's assist
or buy strippers for your housewarming or whatever.

Jealous Cow posted:

To clarify, my wife and I are buying this for her mom.

I think we have the winning scenario. Good luck. You are very generous people. Make sure she has her estate in order and the house is held in trust.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

H110Hawk posted:

I think we have the winning scenario. Good luck. You are very generous people. Make sure she has her estate in order and the house is held in trust.

Real property can't be held in trust in our state, only in the trustees name, which creates financing issues.

We are protecting ourselves by not retaining title. We're unconcerned with the debt, just the liability. If her mom wants to leave the house to her dog that's fine. It would suck but we don't want her to feel like she owes us so we are going into this assuming to not retain any long term value from this.

We won't be paying it off early though unless for some reason we take title in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Hughlander posted:

The problem is that ultimately the seller can decide they're not willing to budge, regardless of what the agent says. We had to walk away from our first offer for essentially this reason.