Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I'm waiting to start a NG+ until I've read through the books, since I feel like there's a lot to appreciate in how many characters they brought back.

Blood of Elves is going slowly though, I'm about 40% in and it's all just talking. The most exciting thing to happen is Triss getting sick and constantly making GBS threads. Last Wish and Sword of Destiny seemed to have better balance, so I'm hoping the rest of the books pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I just started Hearts of Stone, and it never fails to amaze me how well the writers understand things like Show, don't Tell. If this was an Elder Scrolls game we'd have the entire deal about Olgierd's immortality spelled out to us beforehand. Not here! I had just been in that conversation with the two wild ones about to decapitate their friend, and I had played it pretty aggressive, saying that line about "Tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to ask politely, you're going to answer politely, or else I'm going to get angry and butcher you all like swine." I'm level 34, I killed king of the dang Wild Hunt and was absolutely used to just carving my way through whatever I please.

Twenty seconds later Olgierd comes out, gets stabbed right in the back without giving a poo poo, the disgraced wild one got decapitated, and he and all his wild ones sort of slowly gather around and just look at me. Then satanGaunter comes out of the woodwork and the following conversation was so amazingly tense, because I was used to being the biggest jock in the locker room, and now these two absolutely normal-looking but horrifyingly menacing people are just having the most thinly-veiled conversation right in front of me and in the span of half a minute I go from just not giving a poo poo about these stupid brigands to being in way way over my head and wondering how on earth Geralt is going to get out of this one.

That's as far as I've gotten in the plot so far, and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

In the same vein as that, I love the bit in blood and wine where Regis starts to explain that the redhead at the orphanage is also a vampire, and Geralt cuts him off with "yeah, figured it out already"

Kudos to the writers for giving the player a little credit.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I assume they had children themselves in the village.

Basically everyone was evil. Aka the Witcher 3 Philosophy. Everyone sucks and Velen especially.

Except Trolls. Trolls is good. Little retarded and people eaty, but good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

by http://akreon.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Did anyone make the gwent thread yet?

I'd rather someone less lazy did it, but if no one else can be arsed I'll maybe put one up in, like a week. Or two.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Ainsley McTree posted:

In the same vein as that, I love the bit in blood and wine where Regis starts to explain that the redhead at the orphanage is also a vampire, and Geralt cuts him off with "yeah, figured it out already"

They were still a little late on the take for O'Dimm's final riddle. I mean, it's OBVIOUSLY a mirror. I'm poo poo at riddles but that one was easy as hell.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Blood and Wine makes me think of Harry Potter.

"It's Lebiosa, not Lebiosaaaaa."

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Are there any good overhaul mods that spruce up the combat/sort out the level scaling? There's a few on the nexus, but hard to tell if they're any good or grognardy nonsense.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lareine posted:

They were still a little late on the take for O'Dimm's final riddle. I mean, it's OBVIOUSLY a mirror. I'm poo poo at riddles but that one was easy as hell.

Well, the riddle isn't figuring out the meaning of the riddle.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

No no. He had a riddle, and then we solved it. :colbert: That's it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

I just started Hearts of Stone, and it never fails to amaze me how well the writers understand things like Show, don't Tell. If this was an Elder Scrolls game we'd have the entire deal about Olgierd's immortality spelled out to us beforehand. Not here! I had just been in that conversation with the two wild ones about to decapitate their friend, and I had played it pretty aggressive, saying that line about "Tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to ask politely, you're going to answer politely, or else I'm going to get angry and butcher you all like swine." I'm level 34, I killed king of the dang Wild Hunt and was absolutely used to just carving my way through whatever I please.

Twenty seconds later Olgierd comes out, gets stabbed right in the back without giving a poo poo, the disgraced wild one got decapitated, and he and all his wild ones sort of slowly gather around and just look at me. Then satanGaunter comes out of the woodwork and the following conversation was so amazingly tense, because I was used to being the biggest jock in the locker room, and now these two absolutely normal-looking but horrifyingly menacing people are just having the most thinly-veiled conversation right in front of me and in the span of half a minute I go from just not giving a poo poo about these stupid brigands to being in way way over my head and wondering how on earth Geralt is going to get out of this one.

That's as far as I've gotten in the plot so far, and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

You'll love the wedding set-piece, all of HoS is really solid (the heist is a little meh) but the wedding is one of the high points of the game. There's a very clever storytelling conceit I won't spoil, and the whole thing is modeled after traditional Polish country weddings. There's a bunch of minigames and cool stuff.

It's important that the first thing you do when you get to the wedding is play Gwent with the halflings and LOSE. Trust me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I guess this is the thread for discussing the Gwent standalone? How many beta invites have gone out so far?

steinrokkan posted:

I thought the point of the riddle was that the "obvious" answer wasn't actually the answer. It's not "Mirror", it's "Reflection". That's why O'Dimm breaking the Mirrors wasn't considered blatant cheating. He exploits loopholes in his games but he technically never breaks the rules.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

RatHat posted:

So I guess this is the thread for discussing the Gwent standalone? How many beta invites have gone out so far?

I got invited this morning so in my anecdotal opinion they must be starting to get around. I'm currently trying to decide how many packs is a reasonable buy-in to start moving me away from the atrocious starter decks.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new thread for discussing it, there's plenty to talk about. However I have no idea what I'm doing so I don't want to make it :shobon:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Guys

They eat orphans

its sustainable though. they're locavores.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

RatHat posted:

I just got my invite this morning as well, so it looks like a new round of invites has just gone out.

Any tips for playing from people who have already had a go? It's been a while since I played Witcher Gwent.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

I got invited this morning so in my anecdotal opinion they must be starting to get around. I'm currently trying to decide how many packs is a reasonable buy-in to start moving me away from the atrocious starter decks.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new thread for discussing it, there's plenty to talk about. However I have no idea what I'm doing so I don't want to make it :shobon:

Helith posted:

I just got my invite this morning as well, so it looks like a new round of invites has just gone out.

Any tips for playing from people who have already had a go? It's been a while since I played Witcher Gwent.

How long ago did you guys apply? I only did it a few days ago so I'm not very hopeful :ohdear:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

El Jeffe posted:

How long ago did you guys apply? I only did it a few days ago so I'm not very hopeful :ohdear:

I applied ages ago, like in the first few days of them opening up the applications whenever that was.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I applied a few minutes after it went live during E3

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wait what orphanage? Is this part of the ending path that doesn't involve Rapnunzel hanging herself by her hair and the little match girl selling drugs and poo poo i.e. the worst one? Is it the same lady who hosted the artist party?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Joda posted:

Wait what orphanage? Is this part of the ending path that doesn't involve Rapnunzel hanging herself by her hair and the little match girl selling drugs and poo poo i.e. the worst one? Is it the same lady who hosted the artist party?

Yea. Do the path where you look for the Unseen elder.

Then watch the "A night to remember" Witcher 3 trailer :aaaaa:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I've been playing monsters so far, with the strategy of trying to leverage the solid hero power and racial ability to steal games where my extremely lovely card quality would otherwise render winning impossible. I did happen to open a decent epic for monsters (the guy who plays frost and summons 2 wild hunt hounds) which helped with that a bit.

It's been working well for me considering it's still basically the starter deck, but it's a bit of a crapshoot so your mileage will vary with how much you believe in the heart of the cards.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea. Do the path where you look for the Unseen elder.

Then watch the "A night to remember" Witcher 3 trailer :aaaaa:

I think the story book path is way cooler but deff check out the other path if you have a save near!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Joda posted:

And I, on the other hand, haven't seen the scene that you are talking about! Something to look forward to on the next playthrough!

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Oh man, sorry. Didn't occur to me that I might be spoiling you :doh:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Joda posted:

Oh man, sorry. Didn't occur to me that I might be spoiling you :doh:

Haha it's ok. I took the risk knowing the potential consequences!

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Joda posted:

Someone must have gotten confused, there is no orphanage part in B&W. He does mean the host of the party, and the conversation takes place shortly after the party. I got that conversation and did go to wonderland so its not specific to either choice

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

WirelessPillow posted:

Someone must have gotten confused, there is no orphanage part in B&W. He does mean the host of the party, and the conversation takes place shortly after the party. I got that conversation and did go to wonderland so its not specific to either choice

There is an orphanage bit in Blood & Wine. It's optional if you take one of the two main ending paths (but you can still do it on that path), and mandatory for the other.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Guys

They eat orphans

No they don't.
the kids aren't orphans. People put their own children on the Trail of Sweets when they can't afford to feed them any more.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Lone Badger posted:

No they don't.
the kids aren't orphans. People put their own children on the Trail of Sweets when they can't afford to feed them any more.

...or when they're orphaned and nobody can take them in.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

John Charity Spring posted:

There is an orphanage bit in Blood & Wine. It's optional if you take one of the two main ending paths (but you can still do it on that path), and mandatory for the other.

Pretty sure you can start down that path and decide gently caress it and go for the storybook part as long as you don't actually go to the unseen elder.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
BnW trip report;

It's pretty and well paced (jfc boss fights out the wazoo, owns) but it keeps crashing.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Are you playing B&W on GOG Galaxy? I know people who had serious crashing issues with it on that, and it's because of the GOG Galaxy overlay. If you disable the overlay the crashes go away, apparently.

Shannow posted:

Pretty sure you can start down that path and decide gently caress it and go for the storybook part as long as you don't actually go to the unseen elder.

Yeah, that's what I mean (and it's what I did myself when playing it).

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

No they don't.

Oh well i guess its okay to eat them now!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Recently started this game, got the "complete edition". Two quick Qs:

-why is it the Complete Edition sometimes and Game of The Year Edition other times? Was it game of the year on Xbone and PC but not PS4? Did Bloodborne beat it out maybe?

-I see that the recommended levels for the expansion content is in the 30s. Is this just so the people most likely to be buying them individually (players who've completed or put a lot of time into the main game already) would be able to get some xp due to the stupid way quest xp works in this game, or will I get my poo poo completely wrecked if I try to go to Toussaint at level 10?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

2house2fly posted:

Recently started this game, got the "complete edition". Two quick Qs:

-why is it the Complete Edition sometimes and Game of The Year Edition other times? Was it game of the year on Xbone and PC but not PS4? Did Bloodborne beat it out maybe?

-I see that the recommended levels for the expansion content is in the 30s. Is this just so the people most likely to be buying them individually (players who've completed or put a lot of time into the main game already) would be able to get some xp due to the stupid way quest xp works in this game, or will I get my poo poo completely wrecked if I try to go to Toussaint at level 10?

Who knows. Marketing. They're the same thing.

You will absolutely get your poo poo pushed in if you go to Toussaint at level 10. Moreover, Blood and Wine is very much meant to be played after you finish the main quest, whereas Hearts of Stone can appreciably be played during the main quest once you get into its level range.

EDIT: VVV Fair point, and in retrospect I should have recommended this, as well. I did both DLCs after I had finished Wild Hunt, and the flow and pacing did feel pretty natural from one into the other and into the next.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 3, 2016

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The pacing is better if you do HoS after the main quest though.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

steinrokkan posted:

it's a little annoying because as a Witcher Geralt's holding a shiny silver sword on his back. The scene's tense as hell but there was that possible response that didn't come up.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

rumble in the bunghole posted:

it's a little annoying because as a Witcher Geralt's holding a shiny silver sword on his back. The scene's tense as hell but there was that possible response that didn't come up.

Probably just didn't want o'dimm to shatter his sword

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Probably just didn't want o'dimm to shatter his sword

Do you know how much enriched dimeritium this thing cost me!?! :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

rumble in the bunghole posted:

As soon as I got in there I spent a while trying to look into what looked like a reflective puddle on the ground, too.