Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Using WryeBash for modding can be summed up as "does many of the things MO does, but not as well."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Hello, gentlegoons. I am a first time Skyrim modder (have played modded before, but was set up and handled by a far more capable friend of mine), who has just set up NMM for Skyrim Special Edition... which apparently means it will not magnet link and sort mods from the Nexus automatically, because SSE is counted as a different game to Skyrim (even though it is, I just wanted a press-to-download-and-load-into-mod-program-button).

Is there a way around this? I just want magnets links that taste like real magnets, and only 2% manual mod managing.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

Using WryeBash for modding can be summed up as "does many of the things MO does, but not as well."

My personal favorite "quirk" of using Wrye Bash for games that don't have "Morrowind" in the title so far is that using the WB download from the SSE Nexus, every time I open it, Bash tells me that the base Bethesda SSE masters have hosed up headers that make it think they are corrupt files.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 2, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Deified Data posted:

Run For Your Lives and When Vampires Attack are here if anyone was waiting on those. They sound like a necessity for Open Cities.
What's this glaring red text that sounds like bullshit? Ah, the author.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jackard posted:

What's this glaring red text that sounds like bullshit? Ah, the author.

Don't...don't think about the author.

SourceRyan
Aug 4, 2011

Raygereio posted:

There's a guide on how to get MO2 to work with SkyrimSE floating around. Which basically has you tricking MO2 into thinking you're playing OldSkyrim.
It's cludgy hack, but apparently it works for some. To anyone who now rushes off to download MO2: MO2 never got out of beta. It still has a lot of bugs and unfinished features. It's probably best to switch over to WryeBash if NMM annoys you.

There's also this TESVSE Plugin for MO2, which seems to work alright, if equally cludgy.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Arkitektbmw posted:

REALLLY getting tired of NMMs bullshit.

I'm thinking I may just get MO running with SSE. I first had an issue where it wasn't adding anything because they were all hung up in the queue. Which I didn't know was a thing until I stumbled on the little tab in the bottom. Which....why in the gently caress won't that tab stay open damnit?! Anyways, I figured out it was waiting for me to log in. Then, once that was sorted out, I'm having issues where it adds the mod to the stupid mod folder, but won't actually add it to the list.

What a clunky piece of poo poo. Honestly, nexus would be best off just to scrap their entire poo poo "program" and let the MO guy bring plain old MO in.

gently caress!

The MO guy has been working for the Nexus for like a week, and he's leading a team making a new mod manager (which will also be called NMM) from the ground up. He hasn't touched the current version of NMM at all.

So yeah, they are scrapping their entire poo poo program like you wanted them to, it just takes a while.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kerning Chameleon posted:

My personal favorite "quirk" of using Wrye Bash for games that don't have "Morrowind" in the title

For Morrowind, you should use Wrye Mash. :colbert:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So I mentioned it before but never got a reply. Anyone have a fix for the old "vampire faces are beyond hosed up and look like someone held their face in a oven" bug? It's an old vanilla bug from Skyrim that never got fixed outside of mods. Except I can't find any now.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
My friend ran into a hilarious problem with the SkyUI 2.2 version. Myself and another in our group are using it just fine and have NOT encountered the bug he did.

He installed it and suddenly his character is running 1.5 or twice as fast as normal in the game. He also noticed the other npc's moving very quickly, drinking fast, talking animation was fast while the audio ran normally. Once he uninstalled 2.2, everything returned to normal

His computer info is Windows 10 pro, AMD fx-8150, gtx 770 2gb, 8 gigs of ram

He has Enhanced distant terrain and total character makeover installed as well as this list:
http://prnt.sc/d25cbv

Any ideas what might cause that?

Svanja fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 2, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Archonex posted:

So I mentioned it before but never got a reply. Anyone have a fix for the old "vampire faces are beyond hosed up and look like someone held their face in a oven" bug? It's an old vanilla bug from Skyrim that never got fixed outside of mods. Except I can't find any now.

It's something to do with loading conflicting tint data when an actor changes race or something (which is how vampires are implemented). I know if you have dawnguard and turn into the giant bat monster, it'll be fixed when you turn back.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Hamburger Test posted:

Shut up Mirmulnir

I feel like I'm starting Skyrim SE off on the wrong foot when the second mod I install is to fix dumb bullshit from the first mod I installed. :smith:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Trustworthy posted:

I feel like I'm starting Skyrim SE off on the wrong foot when the second mod I install is to fix dumb bullshit from the first mod I installed. :smith:

It's not your fault.

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

Kerning Chameleon posted:

My personal favorite "quirk" of using Wrye Bash for games that don't have "Morrowind" in the title so far is that using the WB download from the SSE Nexus, every time I open it, Bash tells me that the base Bethesda SSE masters have hosed up headers that make it think they are corrupt files.

Re-read the description for Wyre Bash. You need to extract some string files from a Skyrim:SE BSA into the data folder for it to recognize the plugins correctly. The SE modding scene is all a bunch of hacky poo poo at the moment.

Edit: I should say the modding tools are all hacky poo poo, but my original statement stands.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Trustworthy posted:

actually this is the best introduction to modding a Bethesda game. It only gets better (or worse, depending on how you look at it) from here

I mean it's mods all the way down

e: speaking of Mod Organizer 2, I've been vaguely following the github commits and there is, at least, one person trying to push a functional MO2 for Skyrim SE out - from what I'm reading odds are good it'll happen eventually, but good software usually isn't developed overnight. Honestly as long as they can give me a working VFS the rest is something I can work around.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am making a sincere effort to only tweak the game this time, rather than adding quests, locations, or weapons/armor.

Well, if there was a bandoliers/backpack mod, I'd use that, but in its absence I'll just use a weight cheat. Because inventory fiddling isn't fun to me.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Trustworthy posted:

I was just past that fight when it popped up on Nexus. I almost wanted to install it and redo the fight.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm having the same issue with Frostfall I had with Project Nevada, which is that while it's admittedly a feat of engineering, it still feels cumbersome and hacked-on alongside the native mechanics of the game. Having to manage all the powers and then set up camp and then only being able to access the perk menus using a floating bug-form UI is a lot of steps to manage a meter. I can't be bothered to use it enough to make the toll on your carry weight worth it. Cool concept, but the #1 way to gently caress up my immersion is to give it a bunch of dials and levers that take a good minute to properly access.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I stopped trying to work Frostfall into my load order for much the same reasoning. I really love the idea of having to deal with the cold in Skyrim but I HATE dealing with the user interface. And, as realistic as it is to take that long to light a fire I found myself frustrated having to go through that every time and dreading having to set up camp.

It's really neat to see that someone managed to get that into the game though!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Honestly if the fire keeping and camp setting were integrated that would go a long way for me. Having two entirely separate systems (and the tent setup isn't even something you can make a shortcut for, you have to go into your inventory, tab over to find it, and activate it) for the two exposure mechanics is just too much. I just light campfires in caves and leave it at that. The tent mechanic feels like an armory display mod, mainly there for screenshot purposes. It's bad.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

i am tim! posted:

I stopped trying to work Frostfall into my load order for much the same reasoning. I really love the idea of having to deal with the cold in Skyrim but I HATE dealing with the user interface. And, as realistic as it is to take that long to light a fire I found myself frustrated having to go through that every time and dreading having to set up camp.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I hear all these cool Frostfall stories and think I might try it out ... but when it comes down to it, I hate even the small levels of micro-management that inventory management (and selling junk) entails, so adding on extra duties just isn't something I want to take on.

What I expect I'd do is install it and then find some way to avoid worrying about it as much as possible, which really means I shouldn't bother in the first place. :v:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I love setting up and fussing with Frostfall camp stuff, but I always do turn down the cold sensitivity/multiplier settings so I don't have to deal with it quite so often. I think there's a good balance to be found in there, but it's not the default settings.

(Same with Imps for food/drink.)

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I am trying out Immersive Sounds Compendium and while interesting, for some reason it sounds like all the bass has been turned off. Is that normal? Like smashing a dude with my shield probably shouldn't sound like St Anger snare drums.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Trustworthy posted:

I love setting up and fussing with Frostfall camp stuff, but I always do turn down the cold sensitivity/multiplier settings so I don't have to deal with it quite so often. I think there's a good balance to be found in there, but it's not the default settings.

(Same with Imps for food/drink.)
I mean, I'm the guy who can't stand playing vampires because I don't want to worry about all the feeding and daylight-sensitivity it entails. So I'm guessing if I can't even bother with that small amount of hassle, any degree of Frostfall is probably too much for my lazy rear end.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

I've got all my fancy texture mods and armor things ready to start a new playthrough of the OG skyrim, but I'm thinking of making an argonian mage, so I've got 2 questions for you fine thread

1 - From the OP or otherwise, what MAGIC mod would you recommend? Overhaul or otherwise but being compatible with SPERG is a huge +

2 - Is there any way to fix the dorky rear end fangs that argonian vampires get?

Spooky!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Prokhor posted:

I've got all my fancy texture mods and armor things ready to start a new playthrough of the OG skyrim, but I'm thinking of making an argonian mage, so I've got 2 questions for you fine thread

1 - From the OP or otherwise, what MAGIC mod would you recommend? Overhaul or otherwise but being compatible with SPERG is a huge +

2 - Is there any way to fix the dorky rear end fangs that argonian vampires get?

Spooky!

I'd say just get the whole EnaiSiaion package if you don't already have them. Apacolypse, Spectraverse, Dwemertech, Wintermyst, Aurora, Imperious, definitely Thunderchild if you're a fan of Shouty wizards.

The Fire and Ice overhaul is pretty good too. I was exploring one of the shipwrecks and used the basic Flame spell. The whole ship caught fire for a while and I had to use Frostbite to put some of it out just to move around. :v:

As to your second problem. I have no idea.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Cernunnos posted:

I'd say just get the whole EnaiSiaion package if you don't already have them. Apacolypse, Spectraverse, Dwemertech, Wintermyst, Aurora, Imperious, definitely Thunderchild if you're a fan of Shouty wizards.

The Fire and Ice overhaul is pretty good too. I was exploring one of the shipwrecks and used the basic Flame spell. The whole ship caught fire for a while and I had to use Frostbite to put some of it out just to move around. :v:

As to your second problem. I have no idea.

Thanks for advice! I've been looking at their mods, would you recommend switching to Ordinator for perks too since I'm starting entirely fresh, or sticking with SPERG?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Over the past three days I've been using Mod Organizer (and a couple giant effort posts) to mod the game. Slowly, but surely. I only added auto login in the MO config, other than that completely default install and it seemed to take Chrome & Firefox downloads well enough.

Now today the whole process just seems to have poo poo itself for no discernible reason. Constantly failing to download, operations being canceled/request failed, cannot request from the Nexus, gateway time out, you name it. Can't find any definitive answers online.

What can goons tell me?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Prokhor posted:

Thanks for advice! I've been looking at their mods, would you recommend switching to Ordinator for perks too since I'm starting entirely fresh, or sticking with SPERG?

I haven't actually played around too much with Ordinator myself. I like SPERG a little more.

If nothing else there's an Ordinator/SPERG combination patch if you want to use both. Though I doubly can't vouch for its quality.

Jack Ratigan
Jan 26, 2005

...Ok
Nexus is still exploding every 5 seconds and screwing up automatic downloads.

Manual saves seem to work fine if a little slow.

Bandolier is out for anyone who hates weight limits.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, auto downloads rely on Nexus being slightly less hammered than it currently is. That goes for MO and NMM both, so download manually and install manually through Mod Organizer for the time being.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

i am tim! posted:

I can see this even though I'm a Frostfall fanboy. I guess what it comes down to for me is that the annoying setup isn't really a detraction from the point, it is the point. It reminds me of all the times I went camping. It's a little ritual that ties me into the reality of "Skyrim is cold and that matters." Again, I say this understanding that it's a subjective call whether that appeals to someone. Although I guess it doesn't hurt that setting up a tent in Frostfall is a thousand times easier than setting up an actual tent. :v:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Svanja posted:

My friend ran into a hilarious problem with the SkyUI 2.2 version. Myself and another in our group are using it just fine and have NOT encountered the bug he did.

He installed it and suddenly his character is running 1.5 or twice as fast as normal in the game. He also noticed the other npc's moving very quickly, drinking fast, talking animation was fast while the audio ran normally. Once he uninstalled 2.2, everything returned to normal

His computer info is Windows 10 pro, AMD fx-8150, gtx 770 2gb, 8 gigs of ram

He has Enhanced distant terrain and total character makeover installed as well as this list:
http://prnt.sc/d25cbv

Any ideas what might cause that?

Sounds to me that your friend is running the game above 60 fps. I know I get that problem if I turn off vsync (I hate the vsync input lag) without capping the fps around 60-70 in nvidia inspector.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ThaumPenguin posted:

The MO guy has been working for the Nexus for like a week, and he's leading a team making a new mod manager (which will also be called NMM) from the ground up. He hasn't touched the current version of NMM at all.

So yeah, they are scrapping their entire poo poo program like you wanted them to, it just takes a while.

He started in early September. Still, (good) software takes time.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lunethex posted:

Over the past three days I've been using Mod Organizer (and a couple giant effort posts) to mod the game. Slowly, but surely. I only added auto login in the MO config, other than that completely default install and it seemed to take Chrome & Firefox downloads well enough.

Now today the whole process just seems to have poo poo itself for no discernible reason. Constantly failing to download, operations being canceled/request failed, cannot request from the Nexus, gateway time out, you name it. Can't find any definitive answers online.

What can goons tell me?

The Nexus guys made a post saying that due to the Special Edition's popularity they may need to turn off magnet downloads due to the huge amount of bandwidth it consumes.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Somewhat abashed, I discovered that while I thought I'd installed PerMa for my latest playthrough, I had not. Will I damage my save if I install an overhaul now? I'm considering both SPERG and PerMa, and am unsure which is better for my current game, in which I'm playing a Dunmer Necromancer (who is totally not evil, honest) focused on charming Jarls and having lovely tanks like Lydia and Jordis do up-front fighting while he slings spells and raises zombies from a safe distance.

EDIT: I may need to use a different version of Staves of Skyrim as well, but it's not like I need any of the perks considering I use lanterns for illumination.

EDIT EDIT: Found what I was looking for in the readme!

BlueInkAlchemist fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 3, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wait, SPERG is ported over?

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Deified Data posted:

I'm not using Special Edition yet. I'm waiting for yet another playthrough using that once things are ported over. Also my PC is on the older side and I can't afford an upgrade.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Deified Data posted:

Waiting on SPERG is basically the thing keeping me from jumping into the game right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

He started in early September. Still, (good) software takes time.

Ah, thanks for the correction. Guess the last few months have been a bit of a blur.