Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Just listened to All Right, had to make sure my headphones weren't broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

You should listen to "The Adventure Zone" it's 3 brothers and their dad playing D&D.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Pseudopod reads short horror fiction, I quite enjoy it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

vortmax posted:

The Message is good, and extremely short. A team works on interpreting an alien signal.

Limetown is great, and you should listen right now if you haven't. It's about the disappearance of everyone from the town just over a decade ago. (I don't know if we'll ever get more, but it stands well on its single season.)

I liked Sayer, and that's a completed series. It's sort of like if GLaDOS ran a space station, but not so homicidal.

For general horror stuff, I like Knifepoint Horror. The No Sleep Podcast and Chilling Tales are very hit-or-miss, but worth checking out.

Man I ain't heard someone mention Knifepoint in a while, that was some dope stuff

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
The Orbiting Human Circus

This was unexpected. Is this a Night Vale crossover? The cast seems amazing.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 24, 2016

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Holy gently caress, that's an amazing cast. How the hell did you get this off the ground?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My wife and I have been huge fans of the Podcast for years. Over the last year we've both really fallen out of it for whatever reasons. Yesterday while driving home on a 4 hour trip we decided to listen to a bunch of episodes. We had both stopped about midway through "Season 4" and we listened to a ton of episodes. I felt like Season 3 was a bit lackluster, but everything after "A Stranger" has been amazing. Can't wait to get caught up on the podcast again and I'm sorry I gave up on you guys :(

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Ok so I didn't manage to catch up with the episodes, but I'm in the lobby now, with about 40 minutes to show time. Looking forward to it! Still can't quite believe how many Night Vale fans there are in Denmark of all places, it's so neat.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if i seemed distracted or kind of angry during that copenhagen show its because ryanair lost my loving luggage (and cecil's too) and generally dicked us over and that bullshit was still on my mind

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 8, 2016

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Earwicker posted:

if i seemed distracted or kind of angry during that copenhagen show its because ryanair lost my loving luggage (and cecil's too) and generally dicked us over and that bullshit was still on my mind

Yeah, I saw some tweets from Cecil about that earlier today. Good to know Ryanair can take time out of their busy schedule of getting into twitter beefs with Danish politicians to throw away some luggage :v:

I thought you did pretty well though! It was a good show, I'm glad I took the trip to Copenhagen to see it :)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

Yeah, I saw some tweets from Cecil about that earlier today. Good to know Ryanair can take time out of their busy schedule of getting into twitter beefs with Danish politicians to throw away some luggage :v:

so they're anti-union on top of everything else? lovely people!

Dr Dozzy
Nov 5, 2007
I told the other crow this; 'Get off my lawn'
Booked tickets to go to Ghost Stories Manchester with some good friends, can't wait for it. Conveniently close to Halloween too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

vortmax posted:

The Message is good, and extremely short. A team works on interpreting an alien signal.
Please do not lie in the Nightvale thread.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Please do not lie in the Nightvale thread.

The twist is very strange and she didn't explain why this was a good way to do it at all.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, how about The Orbiting Human Circus (Of The Air)?

It's something that takes getting used to, but I think it's pretty good all things considered.

Also I'm really worried about how things are gonna work out with Within the Wires. :ohdear:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I like TOHC(OTA ) so far, but I feel like it'll take a few episodes to really gel for me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm in the same boat. The narrator absolutely nails what they're going for and the janitor's a lot of fun, but it's going to take a bit for it to really click I think.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I didn't "get it" at all. Or maybe I did and I just didn't like it, and assumed I didn't get it. WTW continues to completely nail it, though. I always listen to these as I'm falling asleep, and I kinda drifted off for a minute and came back as the drugs were kicking in. Freaky. I've probably listened to the newest episode four times already.
I'm not really doing right by Night Vale. I pretty much fall asleep before or during the Weather without fail, then try and start over in the morning but kinda gloss over the second half because I'm working by then. I really enjoy reading through "Mostly Void" though, especially the forewords to each episode. Definitely gonna pick up the second book when I see it in-store.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
The thing that WTNV has, that Circus & Wires seem to be missing, is a bit more context. Wires seems to be in some sort of dystopian world, and Circus seems to be something internal, but WTNV's framing as a Public Access Radio show helps give you something to hold onto and navigate what's going on in the episode. Even episodes such as "story about you" can still be navigated, while listening to the other two feels like I'm trying to grasp what's going on at times.

Still enjoyable stories, but I like knowing where I stand while viewing the funhouse.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

RedMagus posted:

The thing that WTNV has, that Circus & Wires seem to be missing, is a bit more context. Wires seems to be in some sort of dystopian world, and Circus seems to be something internal, but WTNV's framing as a Public Access Radio show helps give you something to hold onto and navigate what's going on in the episode. Even episodes such as "story about you" can still be navigated, while listening to the other two feels like I'm trying to grasp what's going on at times.

Still enjoyable stories, but I like knowing where I stand while viewing the funhouse.

I think WTW's done a pretty good job building the world over the course of the series. It doesn't seem that hard to follow to me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think WTW's done a pretty good job building the world over the course of the series. It doesn't seem that hard to follow to me.

Context and setting aren't the same. One is way more important when you're trying to get into a thing and the other can be expanded on once that happens.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I get what they mean. In night vale even if you have no idea about the setting you know it's a radio broadcast that you are a listener of from minute 1. In WTW you figure out quickly that you are a person listening to tapes in a Bad Place and the rest can follow from that. In Circus it's a radio broadcast, but we aren't listening to the broadcast itself but being narrated the janitors perspective, but also there's some girl listening in on all of it? It's a bit harder to grasp what the audiences perspective is supposed to be

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The girl is the janitor. The narrator is the voice in her head. The radio show is "reality".

I thought it was easy to pick up

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Julian Koster isn't a girl??

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
No, but the voice is high pitched, so I thought that was who Farg was referring to.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I like Orbiting Human Circus's premise. I especially liked the old woman's reverie. But I hate the voice acting of the janitor. Its just so grating and annoying. I have to strain to understand what he's saying much of the time. The voice is like some horrible combination of Michael Jackson, young Toby McGuire, and whiny hipster. Ugh...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cithen posted:

I like Orbiting Human Circus's premise. I especially liked the old woman's reverie. But I hate the voice acting of the janitor. Its just so grating and annoying. I have to strain to understand what he's saying much of the time. The voice is like some horrible combination of Michael Jackson, young Toby McGuire, and whiny hipster. Ugh...

Came here to post this. The premise is great, the wheezy whisper-mumbling voice is the opposite of great.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Yvonmukluk posted:

It kind of reminds me of Adventure Time, in the sense that they both throw you into the middle of a weird setting without explanation and you're expected to figure it out from context.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Farg posted:

I get what they mean. In night vale even if you have no idea about the setting you know it's a radio broadcast that you are a listener of from minute 1. In WTW you figure out quickly that you are a person listening to tapes in a Bad Place and the rest can follow from that. In Circus it's a radio broadcast, but we aren't listening to the broadcast itself but being narrated the janitors perspective, but also there's some girl listening in on all of it? It's a bit harder to grasp what the audiences perspective is supposed to be

I think what WTNV has versus the others is plot, or more accurately an easily digestible plot. Night Vale presents a world with an A to B to C story quite literally. And with time, the world gets more fleshed out and realized in a way that's not too disimilar to, say, Star Trek. And Alice Isn't Dead follows a similar path, while also bridging a longer form story in a serialized way. While Within the Wires has a story that's a lot more obfuscated, that's less about characters and more about a world/situation. And I can respect that, but that's not personally my thing and I'm okay with that. While Orbiting Human Circus is hard to pinpoint quite yet being only one episode along, but I theorize it's a more character based story. I imagine the context of it's story will be revealed with time, trying to tell a character's/characters story in a more experimental way. As is I'm interested to see what the next one will be.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I love the first season finale of WtW. I really hope she was listening too.
And I'm so worried our narrator got caught cleaning up. That would make her interesting to The Institute.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
The latest episode of WTNV is fantastic. One of the best you've done in the last couple years. The stinger at the end had me howling.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Oh god Cecil's Wal-Mart commercial. I love it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

AstroZamboni posted:

The latest episode of WTNV is fantastic. One of the best you've done in the last couple years. The stinger at the end had me howling.

Yeah, that was great.
I'm torn between "I'm glad WTNV is enough of a thing that you got Retta to do a voice" and "who the hell thought Retta sounded old enough to be Old Woman Josie?". I always pictured OWJ as one of those pushing-a-hundred types not capable of doing much more than staring out the window and dialing the phone. But whatever. Still really liked the episode.

Re WTW: I never considered that Hester might not have gotten out! Oh nooo...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Astrofig posted:

Oh god Cecil's Wal-Mart commercial. I love it.

Definitely a highlight of the entire podcast.

As for Josie and her age: time works oddly in Night Vale.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Diet Poison posted:

Yeah, that was great.
I'm torn between "I'm glad WTNV is enough of a thing that you got Retta to do a voice" and "who the hell thought Retta sounded old enough to be Old Woman Josie?". I always pictured OWJ as one of those pushing-a-hundred types not capable of doing much more than staring out the window and dialing the phone. But whatever. Still really liked the episode.

Re WTW: I never considered that Hester might not have gotten out! Oh nooo...

She bowls every week... slinging a 18 pound ball down the alley isn't for the feeble.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

She bowls every week... slinging a 18 pound ball down the alley isn't for the feeble.

Yeah but Erica (one of them) usually carries the ball down the lane for her.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah but Erica (one of them) usually carries the ball down the lane for her.

"roll roll roll"

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
ttvu 7 ((

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Heard a lot about this show but never checked it out until recently. I listened to the first few episodes and didn't really grab me at all. Seemed like just a lot of weird monkey cheese. I like weird but I was expecting something with more plot. Does that develop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Berious posted:

Heard a lot about this show but never checked it out until recently. I listened to the first few episodes and didn't really grab me at all. Seemed like just a lot of weird monkey cheese. I like weird but I was expecting something with more plot. Does that develop?

It is more of an absurdist comedy and it does take a bit before it really finds it's footing.