Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

When I think "SAW writing team" my first reaction is always "these dudes should adapt Sanderson's work".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EVGA Longoria posted:

When I think "SAW writing team" my first reaction is always "these dudes should adapt Sanderson's work".

Well I mean, I could see it for Kaladin's life, sorta.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is literally Vins purpose in the first half of the first book,

Seriously she spents all her non-ball time harassing and interviewing everyone with powers about how they work, not that it's a bad thing it makes sense.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The black prism so far reads like Kip is the writer when he was a fat 15 year old. All it talks about is how every girl is the most beautiful girl ever blah blah blah

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

RC Cola posted:

The black prism so far reads like Kip is the writer when he was a fat 15 year old. All it talks about is how every girl is the most beautiful girl ever blah blah blah
Kip is basically a fat bumbling horny goon, embrace your inner goonself and it's much better. I didn't think he was a self insert

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I don't know about the rest of you but I read the lightbringer series to see what kind of poo poo Andross will pull to stay in power and protect his position. I don't think kip is even a top 5 character in the series. Kip's I am little goon with a Mary Sue problem does start to dissipate as the series goes on.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

RC Cola posted:

you got what, 25% into the first book and couldn't handle it, :bravo:

maybe we need a :goontrigger: warning emoji so fat losers who crush on girls, have something to warn them away from upsetting content

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I was watching Sanderson's most recent BYU lectures on youtube, they are really interesting. He recommend the Powder Mage series and boy was he right. This series is great if you like Sandersons work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCZ_Yq-hCQ9kmCiNdDeIrbgA?videos

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
Powder mage trilogy is pure gold and should be better know.
The second book, Crimson Campaign is like one of the best books I've ever read, close to WoR.

Brent weeks just can't reach me.
I tried the shadow whatever series but all secondary characters are flat as the book paper.
Tried black prism and have to agree that Kip sucks and the Prism is obnoxious....
Just not the book for me I guess. :shrug:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

NeruVolpi posted:

The second book, Crimson Campaign is like one of the best books I've ever read, close to WoR.

Brent weeks just can't reach me.
I tried the shadow whatever series but all secondary characters are flat as the book paper.
Tried black prism and have to agree that Kip sucks and the Prism is obnoxious....
Just not the book for me I guess. :shrug:

I'm with you, man. Powder Mage trilogy is really good. I've read it twice now.

As for Weeks, the best I can say is that he is really good at writing juvenile power fantasies, but if you don't like juvenile power fantasies, you're not going to like his work.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
Should also say that, as much as I love Brandon and Stormlight, I just HATE his YA novels.

They are all too hammy and awesome-y, therefore cringey...

Stay epic Brandon....

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm with you, man. Powder Mage trilogy is really good. I've read it twice now.

As for Weeks, the best I can say is that he is really good at writing juvenile power fantasies, but if you don't like juvenile power fantasies, you're not going to like his work.

I really enjoyed the world, magic, and story. But I thought many of the characters could use something beyond the tired stereotypes they got; particularly the women. And the way Vlora's infidelity was glossed over as only the guy's fault by everyone, with no word from her at all in three books, robbing her off all agency in the matter, really rubbed me the wrong way.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jorenko posted:

I really enjoyed the world, magic, and story. But I thought many of the characters could use something beyond the tired stereotypes they got; particularly the women. And the way Vlora's infidelity was glossed over as only the guy's fault by everyone, with no word from her at all in three books, robbing her off all agency in the matter, really rubbed me the wrong way.

What?

Vlora owned that poo poo in book 2 when she told Tamas off.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Haven't heard about the Powder Mage trilogy, going to check it out.

NeruVolpi posted:

Should also say that, as much as I love Brandon and Stormlight, I just HATE his YA novels.

They are all too hammy and awesome-y, therefore cringey...

Stay epic Brandon....

hammy and awesome-y is pretty much exactly what YA fiction foes for, though?

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

Haven't heard about the Powder Mage trilogy, going to check it out.

hammy and awesome-y is pretty much exactly what YA fiction foes for, though?

First of all. Yes, please check it out (is there a thread for it in SA? It should...)

Second of all. Not sure if that is what YA should go for.
I picture YA as mid late Harry Potter, or even way early Wheel of Time. Basically a "gently caress-less" and more innocent adult fantasy, instead of an edgier Middle grade... Could be just wishful thinking though.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
While we're talking about different book series - is the Malazan series a good read? I false started book 1 and I'm debating picking it up again.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

While we're talking about different book series - is the Malazan series a good read? I false started book 1 and I'm debating picking it up again.

The series is metal as gently caress and has a fairly large following. I think there used to be a thread for it. Not sure if it's still active.

Personally, it lost me around book 3 or 4. It had a horrid case of what I call "fantasy word diarrhea" in which everything has a crazy name with weird letter combinations, odd capitalization rules, and an excess of apostrophes. The series also has a tendency to just dump you into situations and expect you to know what's going on.

Combined, I often felt bewildered and frustrated. I found myself checking the reference pages at the back of the book just to remember who was who and where a place was, which is something I've never had to do in any series before or since. I eventually just gave up because it was more work than enjoyment.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

A lot of people I know love it, and I enjoyed parts of it. I think it's the first series I've read where the world actually feels more like a whole world, with billions of people and millions of years of history, than like an RPG world with one 50-person city in each country. But I got bogged down in all the jumping around to things and people I don't care about and disparate time periods after a few books, and haven't gone back yet after probably 5 years. Also: the magic system is NOT Sandersonian. There is the suggestion that rules exist, but as presented to the reader, it's pretty hand wavey.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ConfusedUs posted:

The series is metal as gently caress and has a fairly large following. I think there used to be a thread for it. Not sure if it's still active.

Last post was not long ago!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393708

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
The Humble Book Bundle has PDF versions of the Mistborn role-playing game in their latest bundle. You get the core rule-book at $8, and supplements for Alloy of Law and Terris at $15 (along with some aSoIaF, Dresden Files, and a couple others).

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/fiction-faves-rpg-book-bundle

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NeruVolpi posted:

Have you tried Django Wexler's The Thousand Names, yet?

I didn't false start it, but I did read the first book, went "uhhhhh?" and then put it down. Went back a while later and re-read book one and then read two, then put it down, re-read book 1, 2, and 3, and that was pretty useful because it fleshed out the first book and gave me a nice foundation to build from for the rest of the books.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 2, 2016

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Depends, how epic do you like things?

In Malazan we're talking hundreds of thousands of years of history. There are multiple realms of existence, many of them aspected and responsible for the powerful magic. A whole pantheon of literal gods who regularly try to gently caress each other over. Ancient elder races, which include the undead neanderthals, sardonic ice trolls, colour coded elven dragon shapeshifters, multi-jointed alabaster ninjas and genetically modified technologically advanced space dinosaurs. A whole bunch of different continents. A heck of a lot of battles, wars and epic fights. It can go from horror to comedy to tragedy seamlessly, with liberal doses of philosophical musing on power or existence. It's undoubtedly the most epic finished fantasy series I've read.

Yeah there's a big cast and some weird names, but I never really had any issue following along, as long as I didn't take a big break partway through. It can be tough to get going but I'd advise that you just keep forging ahead in spite of any confusion, the running start is part of the atmosphere. You get a better idea of what is going on later in the series and if you ever read the first book again with that knowledge then it's incredible how much you missed or didn't realise was important.

I'd recommend at least reading to the second or third books in the series anyway. The second and third books are better than the first and are more representative of the latter part of the series.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xachariah posted:

genetically modified technologically advanced space dinosaurs

OK, now you've convinced me to try it.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
With swords for arms. The super space dinosaurs have swords for arms.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Eh! Frank posted:

The Humble Book Bundle has PDF versions of the Mistborn role-playing game in their latest bundle. You get the core rule-book at $8, and supplements for Alloy of Law and Terris at $15 (along with some aSoIaF, Dresden Files, and a couple others).

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/fiction-faves-rpg-book-bundle

How did I not know this existed? Bought. I've been wanting to run a Mistborn-based tabletop game for like a year now, but I was too drat lazy to homebrew something. I love it when other people do all the work for me.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

StonecutterJoe posted:

How did I not know this existed? Bought. I've been wanting to run a Mistborn-based tabletop game for like a year now, but I was too drat lazy to homebrew something. I love it when other people do all the work for me.

You'd have been better off rolling your own system. The system in the books is loving awful. It's worthwhile for the giant pile of setting information, but not much else. It kind of suffers from the fact that it accurately portrays the world, and that's just not terribly well suited for an RPG.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Malazan is not a series worth reading, it's too much of a DnD campaign and reads like it. They should have split those books up a bit more, have some sort of chronological order and maybe use less lovely names just to sound special. The ideas and some of the characters are really good, but the series as a whole is kinda bad.

About Lightbringer, I don't know why it'd be a bad thing to be offended by the self-insert Kip and the other flaws of the books, they are just your average fantasy book you read while nothing better is available. One day I'll understand the obsession all these fantasy authors have with rape and sex in general, until then I'll deduct points for writing lovely scenes about it. :linktofatpinkmast.mp3:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Is Kip Karris's son?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Is Kip Karris's son?

No.

Blood Mirror Spoiler
Andross seduced kips mother who was a librarian, so he could get access to some documents. Andross got her pregnant. Andross didn't believe her. So she seduced the real Gaven, and stole the binding knife from him and ran away. She then became a drug addict and lied to kip about Gaven being his father. Kip doesn't know any of this.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ugh, I swear this guy needs to get a job writing for soap operas. Everything is so full of drama for its own sake.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I feel like he goes two or three twists beyond the point where the reader cares

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tunicate posted:

I feel like he goes two or three twists beyond the point where the reader cares

Yes, and it annoys me. Malazan kinda falls into this too. It's not enough that you have a technologically advanced species of dinosaur, no. You have to have technologically advanced, genetically modified, space dinosaurs with swords for arms.

When everything is a superlative, nothing is. It's just word salad, and I don't care.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Kip txt 'when he looked at Karris, he couldn’t help but notice her dress. Karris had been thought-freezingly gorgeous when Kip had seen her wrapped in a heavy black cloak over her Blackguard garb. In the thin black dress she was wearing, her beauty ripped Kip’s breath out of his chest, stomped on it, and set it on fire.'

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Teenagers are dumb, that's half the fun of teenage protagonists.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

NinjaDebugger posted:

You'd have been better off rolling your own system. The system in the books is loving awful. It's worthwhile for the giant pile of setting information, but not much else. It kind of suffers from the fact that it accurately portrays the world, and that's just not terribly well suited for an RPG.

Aw, poop. Well, that's fine, I can use the setting info all in one place, and run it with Savage Worlds or something. Still cheap for the price.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
Also, Powder Mage RPG book is on Kickstarter!
Only 15 bucks for the PDF! (that is actually a small fortune in my country's money but oh well...)

Setting owns. Dunno anything about the system though.

(gonna ignore the lightbringer talk. Kip is the worst teenager protagonist ever...)

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

How hard do you want your brain to work?

Malazan is the kind of series that you pick up when you want to give your brain a good workout. It is not a "curl up on the couch with a drink to relax" type of book. The structure of the books are completely atypical as well - there's no gradual introduction to the world, explanation of who characters are, motives behind the different factions, etc. Even when characters are doing inner monologuing, Erikson is careful to represent their thoughts as they really would be - i.e. there's no exposition or reminders of who other characters are, just the character's actual reactions and thoughts to the situation.

Basically, you open the book and you're starting in the middle of a story - or in the case of Book I, at the END of a story, which then segues into the next story. He forces you to piece everything together yourself, by picking up hints from dialogue and action. It is the most mentally exhausting fantasy series that I have ever read, and the sheer head hurt I suffered during the process basically made me never want to go back and re-read it.

Oh, and just like in history, main characters/factions drop in and drop out of the books all the time and the publication order of the books is not consistent with the actual chronology of the world (see Malazan thread for a diagram - yes, a diagram - of the chronology). The switching around between different groups, geographies and storylines can be quite disorientating because it takes so long to get into the story (since you have to work so hard to piece it together) that when you finally get your head around it, you suddenly get bounced to a different story and it's just like "...who on earth are THESE guys?!?!"

The magic system - as already mentioned - is kind of insane and linked to a gigantic pantheon of competing "gods" (who aren't really gods, or at least, not really in that sense, because normal characters can do things to "ascend" and gain powers in weird and non-specific and unpredictable ways). The rules are never described anywhere, though from reading, you can infer that there IS a set of rules, somewhere, but the rules are crazy and contradictory (I could never really work out a cohesive theory).

If you like super tragic epic stories where protagonists/anti-heroes get awfulness beyond description dumped on them endlessly (and I mean endlessly) for the sake of staying true to their values/principles, then you will probably enjoy this a lot. I thought after the first few books Erikson was going to run out of horrors but nope, they just keep coming. For example, here is a speech from one of the anti-heroes in the book to the army she commands which is just thoroughly depressing - and the worst part of all is, you don't realise exactly HOW depressing until about 4 books later when all the foreshadowing starts to hit (I've spoilered the parts that give away big plot points, but I've left the parts which are just references to events but don't give away what happens since those won't make sense unless you've read the books):

Tavore Paran posted:

Malazan wiki: http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Tavore%27s_Speech

There have been armies. Burdened with names, the legacy of meetings, of battles, of betrayals. The history behind the name is each army’s secret language - one that no-one else can understand, much less share. The First Sword of Dassem Ultor - the Plains of Unta, the Grissian Hills, Li Heng, Y'Ghatan. The Bridgeburners - Raraku, Black Dog, Mott Wood, Pale, Black Coral. Coltaine's Seventh - Gelor Ridge, Vathar Crossing and the Day of Pure Blood, Sanimon, the Fall.

Some of you share a few of those - with comrades now fallen, now dust. They are, for you, the cracked vessels of your grief and your pride. And you cannot stand in one place for long, lest the ground turn to depthless mud around your feet.

Among us, among the Bonehunters, our secret language has begun. Cruel in its birth in Aren, sordid in a river of old blood. Coltaine’s blood. You know this. I need tell you none of this. We have our own Raraku. We have our own Y’Ghatan. We have Malaz City.

In the civil war on Theft, a warlord who captured a rival’s army then destroyed them - not by slaughter; no, he simply gave the order that each soldier’s weapon hand lose its index finger. The maimed soldiers were then sent back to the warlord’s rival. Twelve thousand useless men and women. To feed, to send home, to swallow the bitter taste of defeat. I was... I was reminded of that story, not long ago.

We too are maimed. In our hearts. Each of you knows this.

And so we carry, tied to our belts, a piece of bone. Legacy of a severed finger. And yes, we cannot help but know bitterness.

The Bonehunters will speak in our secret language. We sail to add another name to our burden, and it may be it will prove our last. I do not believe so, but there are clouds before the face of the future - we cannot see. We cannot know.

The island of Sepik, a protectorate of the Malazan Empire, is now empty of human life. Sentenced to senseless slaughter, every man, child and woman. We know the face of the slayer. We have seen the dark ships. We have seen the harsh magic unveiled.

We are Malazan. We remain so, no matter the judgement of the Empress. Is this enough reason to give answer? No, it is not. Compassion is never enough. Nor is the hunger for vengeance. But, for now, for what awaits us, perhaps they will do. We are the Bonehunters, and sail to another name. Beyond Aren, beyond Raraku and beyond Y’Ghatan, we now cross the world to find the first name that will be truly our own. Shared by none other. We sail to give answer. There is more. But I will not speak of that beyond these words: “What awaits you in the dusk of the old world’s passing, shall go... unwitnessed.” T'amber's words.

They are hard and well might they feed spite, if in weakness we permit such. But to those words I say this, as your commander we shall be our own witness, and that will be enough. It must be enough. It must ever be enough.

Eventually the plot threads all kind of converge in the final book which is beyond epic but it's a super long wait for the pay-off. There are some very interesting characters, but for the most part, Erikson is dealing with a cast of tens of thousands and after a while, all of the minor characters just kind of all blur together as 2D cardboard cutouts and I struggled to care about them/tell them apart without their gimmick.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The only thing I know about Malazan is that people constantly bring it up in threads about other books, and write long wordy posts about it that I instinctively scroll past.

I suspect I may not be alone in this.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mossyfisk posted:

The only thing I know about Malazan is that people constantly bring it up in threads about other books, and write long wordy posts about it that I instinctively scroll past.

I suspect I may not be alone in this.

When someone starts talking about the negative stereotype fantasy books and their readers have Malazan always comes to mind right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I don't have time for Malazan, I'm still trying to watch my way through LoGH