Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Because :supaburn: What if all the polls are wrong?!? :supaburn:

There are three buckets:

1. the polls are more or less correct
2. the polls are wrong so much so that voters actually elect Trump
3. the polls are wrong to the same degree as #2 above, but in favor of Hillary

Basically he is saying that #2 has a 30% chance of happening in his model right now, but I would contend that #3 has an equally likely chance in that case (or close to it). What evidence is there to suggest that the polls will skew Clinton's favor?

That means that the polls being more or less correct only has a 40% chance of happening under Nate's model, which I call bullshit on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Cabbit posted:

Didn't he get burned on the primaries about Trump? Dude's hedging his bets like a motherfucker.

noooooooooooooo he isn't.

The model was set long, long before the primary finished.

DaveWoo posted:

Quinnipiac's going to be dropping some swing state polls then. They tend to lean a bit to the right.
This is also true of CNN/ORC, and I would be perfectly content with their results.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
*republicans disenfranchise people as a specifically stated goal*

Look both sides are susceptible to doing bad things to win

*republicans refuse to govern and pass unconstitutional things constantly*

Both parties are so bad you know

*republicans strongly support a fascist idiot racist with zero policy positions.*

Look we can't just go judging whole parties. There are good ideas on both sides.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

i am the bird posted:

Supposedly Kasich has no interest returning to DC (unless as president) and he's almost definitely running for president in 2020. Would it look good if he became senator and immediately started a presidential campaign?

But yeah, if he runs then Sherrod is probably toast.

There is no way Kasich is getting the 2020 nomination after refusing to vote for Trump.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mind_Taker posted:

There are three buckets:

Basically he is saying that #2 has a 30% chance of happening in his model right now, but I would contend that #3 has an equally likely chance in that case (or close to it). What evidence is there to suggest that the polls will skew Clinton's favor?

That means that the polls being more or less correct only has a 40% chance of happening under Nate's model, which I call bullshit on.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Clinton won by 15-20 points, like, 60-40 or something ridiculous like that. I have a hard time believing Trump's supporters are actually going to show up to the polls.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WampaLord posted:

you're being flippant but the polls can and have been wrong in the past. The thing is if you say they could be off by 3 points on the Clinton said, she still wins, just by a lot more, but if you fall off the other side it can lead to a Trump win.

This isn't that hard people.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

weekly font posted:

I work in a school for rich white kids and uh, not the ones that will grow up to be white men, that's for sure.

You two should really keep saying racist poo poo like that. Hopefully to your employers.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sky Shadowing posted:

Sons of Roosevelt, of Kennedy!

I see in your words the same arzying that would take the heart of me.

An election may come when the courage of liberals fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this election!

An hour of Racists and Sexists when the age of Obama comes crashing down, but it is not this day!

THIS DAY WE VOTE!

I know. It’s all wrong. By rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. It’s like in the great elections, Mr. Arzy. The ones that really mattered. Full of tax cuts and bad foreign policy they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy. How could the world go back to the way it was when so much Reagan and GWB had happened.

But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this GOP. Even Trump must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the elections that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Arzy, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of voting third party only they didn’t. Because they were holding on to something.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

empty whippet box posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Clinton won by 15-20 points, like, 60-40 or something ridiculous like that. I have a hard time believing Trump's supporters are actually going to show up to the polls.

Republicans have done a really good job at voter suppression recently, though :smith:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

axeil posted:

you're being flippant but the polls can and have been wrong in the past. The thing is if you say they could be off by 3 points on the Clinton said, she still wins, just by a lot more, but if you fall off the other side it can lead to a Trump win.

538 can and has been wrong in the past, and they've been by far the most sensitive to any polling changes.

It's fair to say they overestimate the probability of things being totally wrong. Why they do this is up to debate, but probably involves self preservation.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

axeil posted:

Notice I said but what if all the polls are wrong?

Individual polls have been wrong and will continue to be wrong. Nate's entire thing is aggregating and weighing them.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Non Serviam posted:

You two should really keep saying racist poo poo like that. Hopefully to your employers.

Observations on the behavior of extremely privileged white children is not racism.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Worked for Obama

As soon as I posted, I thought, "...oh wait." But also, Kasich ain't Obama.

mcmagic posted:

There is no way Kasich is getting the 2020 nomination after refusing to vote for Trump.

He had no legitimate shot in 2016 but he still ran. It's incredibly unlikely that he'll ever be the nominee but I don't think that's going to stop him. He'll have too many people in his ear talking about how he can be the "adult in the room."

edit: I don't know if this means anything for a potential senate run, though.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mind_Taker posted:

There are three buckets:

This is close, but not quite how it works. He uses a t-distribution rather than a normal so the tails are fatter than normal. You also aren't taking into account the general way the states are mixed. If you move everything 10 points to Clinton she still doesn't win every state, it matters where the vote shifts. To that point, this is why he has his intercorrelations between states. Someone earlier called bullshit on this, but we know certain groups of states will vote similarly. New England votes similarly as does the Southeast, as does the West, etc. You can quibble on what level of correlation you should have but I'm sick of this thread sticking their heads in the sand and screaming LALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU every time someone brings up the potential that Nate Could Be Right.

Statistics needs to be a mandatory high school course, good lord.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

That will stop him from running, why?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Individual polls have been wrong and will continue to be wrong. Nate's entire thing is aggregating and weighing them.

RCP's average for Obama was 0.7 in 2012. He won by 3.9.

So yes. All the polls could be wrong.

edit: to elaborate, there may have been a national poll that had Obama up 3.9 but the trick would be knowing which poll it was that was actually right before getting the result.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

i am the bird posted:

As soon as I posted, I thought, "...oh wait." But also, Kasich ain't Obama.

He had no legitimate shot in 2016 but he still ran. It's incredibly unlikely that he'll ever be the nominee but I don't think that's going to stop him. He'll have too many people in his ear talking about how he can be the "adult in the room."

Republican have forfeited any right they might ever have had to claim to be the adult in the room.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Michigan in the Democratic primary this year would like a word with you.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Lemming posted:

Republicans have done a really good job at voter suppression recently, though :smith:

I thought a ton of the voter suppression bullshit was getting tossed to the various legislative judicial branches (and justly overruled)? Are there more horrible things beyond Voter ID and cutting Sunday voting to stop the Souls to the Polls efforts? :ohdear:

E: I'm an idiot that doesn't know the 3 branches of US government.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 2, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That will stop him from running, why?

It might make him more likely to run for Senate.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

axeil posted:

This is close, but not quite how it works. He uses a t-distribution rather than a normal so the tails are fatter than normal. You also aren't taking into account the general way the states are mixed. If you move everything 10 points to Clinton she still doesn't win every state, it matters where the vote shifts. To that point, this is why he has his intercorrelations between states. Someone earlier called bullshit on this, but we know certain groups of states will vote similarly. New England votes similarly as does the Southeast, as does the West, etc. You can quibble on what level of correlation you should have but I'm sick of this thread sticking their heads in the sand and screaming LALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU every time someone brings up the potential that Nate Could Be Right.

We're not ignoring the potential that Nate could be right, we are pointing out his model is much more conservative than every other projection used by almost 15%. If Nate is creating an aggregate that is an outlier its not sticking your head in the sand to acknowledge that difference.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

remusclaw posted:

Republican have forfeited any right they might ever have had to claim to be the adult in the room.

It's a bummer but half of the country and almost all of the media disagree.

I still have co-workers walking around talking about how Republicans are the party of personal responsibility and in the same breath saying that Trump isn't a "real republican." Great taking responsibility for the candidate your idiot party members chose there.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

Maybe, though I get the feeling he doesn't want to be in the legislative branch again.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
They probably won't cover the Child Rape because they said they wouldn't. CNN said the story doesn't meet their journalistic standards the day after the Second Debate when talking with a Trump surrogate as a reply to him brining in the Clinton rape accusers. "We could attack Trump on this too. He's accused of rape of a minor, but we don't because those stories don't hit our standard for coverage, but bringing in Hillary's accuser's opens the door for us to cover it!"

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Cabbit posted:

Didn't he get burned on the primaries about Trump? Dude's hedging his bets like a motherfucker.

Not really. What happened with the primaries is that his model suggested that Trump had the best chance of winning and he, the person, chose to follow the popular punditry that suggested Trump had no real shot and would drop out. It's not an indictment of his model, which has been set for months and isn't getting updated on the fly to put a thumb on the scale.

538 just has a more conservative model compared to other poll aggregators. It doesn't mean it's bad, or wrong or whatever, it just has a different methodology. Divorce your thoughts about it from your thoughts about Nate Silver as a person or pundit.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Supraluminal posted:

Michigan in the Democratic primary this year would like a word with you.

But didn't Silver get caught just as off guard as everyone else by that?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Talmonis posted:

Observations on the behavior of extremely privileged white children is not racism.

Generalizations about "white men" are no different from generalizations about "black men."
The same people who criticize Trump for his sweeping generalizations don't hesitate to do the same. It also reeks of white guilt, which is pathetic.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The biggest problem in Nate's model is two things:
1. States are assumed to be correlated with each other, as in one state will largely vote like a similar state. It leads to poo poo like this:
https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/793884434600693760
2. The really dumb weighting he gives to polls, namely the fact that Google Consumer Surveys gets weighted higher than say Monmouth, Fox News, or NBC/WSJ for a national poll.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Covok posted:

They probably won't cover the Child Rape because they said they wouldn't. CNN said the story doesn't meet their journalistic standards the day after the Second Debate when talking with a Trump surrogate as a reply to him brining in the Clinton rape accusers. "We could attack Trump on this too. He's accused of rape of a minor, but we don't because those stories don't hit our standard for coverage, but bringing in Hillary's accuser's opens the door for us to cover it!"

hahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

We're not ignoring the potential that Nate could be right, we are pointing out his model is much more conservative than every other projection used by almost 15%. If Nate is creating an aggregate that is an outlier its not sticking your head in the sand to acknowledge that difference.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

How the hell does Nate justify having Clinton's odds at <70% when her winning every state where she has at least a 70% chance gives here 272 EVs?

WampaLord posted:

Please tell me this is a joke post.

WampaLord posted:

weekly font posted:

Nate is

1) Shook
2) A Garbage pundit
3) Does not discriminate about polls that go into his aggregation no matter how trashass they are

And that's just one page.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

eviltastic posted:

But didn't Silver get caught just as off guard as everyone else by that?

Michigan in the primaries is the single great polling upset of all time, and while it COULD happen again, it's pretty unlikely.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Non Serviam posted:

Generalizations about "white men" are no different from generalizations about "black men."

oh boy

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

mcmagic posted:

For some reason I thought you were talking about Trump, which tickled me immensely, I love the idea of him spending the rest of his life (and money) running losing campaigns for increasingly lower offices. First Senate, then Governor, then Mayor, and finally, on his death bed, Trump gets the news he lost his bid for head of his own building's Tenant Association.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Please explain to me why generalizing about race and gender is OK then.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lemming posted:

If I wasn't at work, I would find the video.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lemming posted:

I assume that's code for "makes one candidate look so bad we can't realistically cover him without looking like monsters so it's better we just ignore it." I mean I could see the argument of not propagating a potentially false story but a) they've been doing that with Clinton for years and b) lol CNN and journalistic integrity.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

axeil posted:

And that's just one page.

how is pointing out that Nate's model is an outlier freaking out about Nate Silver?

His model is an outlier and he factors a higher level of voter uncertainty. That is not calling to question the guy as a pundit.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

axeil posted:

I have a math degree with graduate level statistics work dude. You're basically saying voting between certain states are correlated, which I certainly agree with. However, we have polls in these states and the aggregate of all of these polls suggests that Clinton is the clear EV winner right now. Yes, there can be a departure from the polling, but unless you have specific evidence to suggest Hillary will not outperform polls with close to equal probability as Trump will, it implies that there is only a 40% chance that current polling is more or less correct under Nate's model, which I have a hard time believing.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 2, 2016

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Covok posted:

:suicide:

gently caress the media burn it all down Donnie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

Please explain to me why generalizing about race and gender is OK then.

power

• Locked thread