Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lazrin posted:

they are absolutely, positively, not a thing.

So what IS being released at the end of this year?

Just a short list will do. One that CiG have published would be a bonus, but you can free-associate the same way that Toast does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hav posted:

Just a short list will do.
You're in luck then, because I've a feeling it'll be the shortest list ever.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
You can tell he's lying in the KS pitch

Dishonest fat gently caress

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

One Ton Crock posted:

It sounded like exactly what happened, which is what happened.

When i expected to have to fight the entire thread for not preaching the same gospel I didn't expect the guy with the cool dog to be the first in line. Your dog gives you protected status and I can therefore not take you down.
You won't have to fight me, I just don't give a gently caress who is first!!!

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Quavers posted:

Welcome back! What did your spend your refund on?

A new TV lol. Instant gratification!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TheLightPurges posted:

I'm the OP people have given it to me on 3 separate occasions. Update your notes MElkor (more like Failkor).

I should run as the dark horse candidate. A JPeG in every pot! And something something about lower the catte tax. And a free space door (as long as you make it yourself out of stuff from the garage) for every goon!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

I took two weeks off.

This should be so good, I took my pants off.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Samizdata posted:

I should run as the dark horse candidate. A JPeG in every pot! And something something about lower the catte tax. And a free space door (as long as you make it yourself out of stuff from the garage) for every goon!

It is a solid platform but I think you will also need a more centrist, composed running mate to balance out your clearly liberal agenda and inevitably intense stump speeches.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

5... 4... 3... 2... 1.....

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Oh my god I'm making a post on the internet I'm sure you guys were excited about the countdown well here we are wowee what a post I'm making right now oh boy.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

You won't have to fight me, I just don't give a gently caress who is first!!!

Pretty much this.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Star Citizen body suits on sale yet?

Spaceman's gotta zentai some times, amirite?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

One Ton Crock posted:

It sounded like exactly what happened, which is what happened.

When i expected to have to fight the entire thread for not preaching the same gospel I didn't expect the guy with the cool dog to be the first in line. Your dog gives you protected status and I can therefore not take you down.

:allears:

You can take me down if you want, I won't tell Kayak.

Thing is you're not wrong, there definitely were people laughing at SC way back when. Can't speak for the SA contingent since I wasn't around, but I know actual real humans who were. It's just a bit silly to act like huge chunks of SA weren't totally suckered as well. The "we all knew it was doomed" narrative flies in the face of the sickening and heartbreaking 100+ million dollar truth.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Lazrin posted:

3.0 weeks before gamescom
ben leaving AtV
the amount of filmed mocap (had it at 18+, devs confirmed it was 20 hours) (which by the way, people said 18 was way too much and I was insane and there's no way it was even close to 18 hours)
more mocap in october (said this back in august I think, sandi herself confirmed)
the animation/model problems with SQ42 waaaaaay before they talked about it at citcon/after citcon
same with the AI problems
all of this poo poo before we saw the behind the scenes atv of the citcon fuckup (Oct 12th)
spectrum/companion app leaked (before anyone even imagined it being a thing)

I've said this all before, but the nature of this game makes any leaks not 100% certain

TheAgent posted:

I'd also like to point out that I've never received so much conflicting information about a project

half the things I get I don't post until I hear it from multiple people, mostly because it seems like the internal roadmap for the project continues to change on a near monthly basis. first they are concentrating on SC, then SQ42, then SC again, then mocap, then SQ42 animations, then back to SC, then about how x needs to get fixed before y because z can't work without x and y which slows down everything and almost puts an entire company on hold for weeks

(the other half is just straight up crazy poo poo I don't believe or super personal poo poo that I don't really want to get into)

even the 38 studio leaks, the RTW leaks and DNF leaks were more clear and concise than anything I'm getting about SC/SQ42
and I have been wrong, probably about a lot of stuff, because I don't work there and I'm not a journalist so who cares, just laugh at this dumb game and the corrupt, inept idiots at the top running the whole thing

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

Hey, I was one of those people who knew it was doomed before everything kicked off here.

It just takes some people longer to come to SA than others, I did a "Fuzzy Modem near a school playground" and 'lurked' for a long time before I ever posted here :)

Same here. I lurked a lot when I first found SA... from r/DS of all places. I was occasionally looking around for SC info, since the RSI site had started to seem like a firehose of white noise and 'lore' to me, which I wasn't interested in.

The reddit site made me wonder "who in the world *is* this person that is so reviled?" Then I came here to see what the hubub was, and discovered pgabz vidyas. Hilarity ensues.

e: Same here that I lurked a long time, not that I knew before many people. I wasn't following SC particularly closely, really.

Oleyo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 2, 2016

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Hav posted:

A lot of words for 'I don't want to be identified'. Pussy.

It's Marching Powder without the credibility.

FTFY

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mr Fronts posted:

In Star Citizen, will we be able to buy a spanner from a tool shop, and use it to undo bolts on an enemy ship's landing gear, and make it crash the next time it touches down? Will the game need us to tighten all our ship's fittings inside and out every 500 flying hours, to prevent mechanical problems, and metal fatigue from flexing under realistic g forces? No other game has such fidelity. It's groundbreaking.

That's why you make one of the lower peons in your org do it. You obviously don't understand social module development. Stop asking me about this. It is annoying me.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
when my mom reads threads on reddit about my leaks never being accurate she cries and calls me up and asks why her boy is spreading FUD about her favorite spacemen game

so derek tweet this out because I have a rep to maintain man

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

TheAgent posted:

I've said this all before, but the nature of this game makes any leaks not 100% certain

and I have been wrong, probably about a lot of stuff, because I don't work there and I'm not a journalist so who cares, just laugh at this dumb game and the corrupt, inept idiots at the top running the whole thing
In this group of nuts you are definitely one of the macadamians,. I thoroughly enjoy your posts. Thanks.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

One Ton Crock posted:

no? A shitload of people actually did know it was doomed while you were buying an armada bro. Sorry to tell you. The credit for spotting the disaster goes to the dozens of outspoken people who were spotting the disaster. Dig up some of the people that were banned / probated for trying to go to games years ago to tell people like you that you were being idiots because they had spotted the disaster

I know SA likes cults of personalities but I think Derek is a little more concerned about being right than watching the collapse, and those two ideologies are going to collide at some point.

I'll gladly admit that I was stupid for buying pretty spaceships for a few months in 2013, before realising I was an idiot and starting to sell them before the end of 2013.

However this is bit like making fun of someone who got drunk and bet a few grand on a random horse at the track. Sure he'll maybe happily agree it was a stupid thing to do, but I'm sure he'd feel an awful lot worse if the horse hadn't come in first.

I've never been embarrassed about it and part of the reason I find Star Citizen so interesting is precisely because I was caught up in it. If you read back in the doobie/dayz thread you'll see a lot of the material to make fun of Star Citizen came from me, I posted in the GBS thread as I tried to keep my negative stuff out of the games thread, a few posters who no longer like this thread used to jump on me otherwise. What's even more hilarious is years later you want to claim credit for spotting a disaster and link a video I've probably linked half a dozen times in these threads myself, hey well done buddy, though as I don't know who you were in GBS I can only award a silver badge, it's limited edition though.

Added link.

AP fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 2, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheAgent posted:

This sums it up right here. I just hope they can stumble along some more to actually release something else to laugh at.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

I still don't think it's a fair comparison.

I'm seriously convinced that marriages have broken up and kids have lost access to one parent because of the Roberts family and their love of other people's money. If that wasn't bad enough I'm also sure that sad, deluded people are going to kill themselves when this all goes tits up. I make fun of Lazrin but when the end comes I really don't want anyone dead.

I see zero harm in blog posts or twitter rants by someone calling themselves an "internet warlord" when he's defending himself from those attacking him mostly with humour. That's not even mentioning the damage mitigation, refunds/advice that Derek is involved in.

Derek Smart is going to be a loving hero when all this is over and that's maybe the funniest thing to me given the impression of his internet reputation I had, before he got involved in this.

For all the talk of hyperbole, in July 2015 Derek was warning people about a two and a half year long 85 million dollar crowdfunding disaster doomed to fail soon. He way, way undersold it, it's 4 years and $130 million with no end in sight.

I agree with your assessment, and am of the same mindset.

When this starts to turn, I feel like the gaff Derek is getting now, even with a silly hate Reddit dedicated to him, is going to be nothing compared to what Roberts will get.

Really it's what he deserves as well. There is nothing personable about this project.

If totally go for a ride in Derek's Tesla without thinking much of it other than it's really neat. If there's anything people can't say it's that Derek is a good guy at heart and isn't out to screw you over or hurt you. He does it, but it's not to random people, they tend to go after him first.

There's no way in hell I'd climb into Roberts Porsche. The guy seems pretty unstable, and I've not heard anything about him that's anything less than 100% self centered.

Not to say both don't have a huge ego. But one is driving one to be a self proclaimed internet warlord with comical moments, and the other is planning the most effective way to steal people's money. It's not quite the same thing.

I still feel like Beer4TheBeerGod was one of the first to really delve into things and look at it from an objective standpoint. He's what got me interested in watching this again really. I'm not sure if Derek had a blog out when Beer was trying to get things ironed out with CIG and they kept dropping the ball, being an rear end, and moving goal posts.

This was before the scare of boogie men out to destroy the multinational company.

In a way I feel like CIG really benefited from making a martyr out of Derek, because since then so many people are focused on "hating Derek" more than looking at "why is this game broken and making no progress?" It's really a great deflection.

Banning and removing conversations they don't want on their forums is also very Orwellian in nature, but because there's this weird military-martial law mentality people don't mind.

There'll be a turning point though, and I don't feel like it will be one of Derek's blogs. It'll just be CIG doing what CIG seems to do best. They can't build what they promised. Period.

Once that happens, Derek will be right and "win" by default. It's like telling a healthy 20 year old guy "some day you're going to die". It's inevitable and will happen. Star Citizen isn't going to last that long though.

Everybody saw their own video production and got an insight into CIG chaos. It's a loving disaster incapable of success.

I really wish MoMA or Lazrin would talk about it but both ignore it, and I feel like a lot of backers just ignored it for what it was.

Anyhow, too long of a post! :)

I can't wait for their unplayable demo to be finished with the sand worm because backers will think it's totally in the game, and there'll be another media campaign to showcase it.

People will once more claim it's an Elite killer, despite Elite going to be moving into a 3-year old game. CoD:IW will dominate the market, followed up with Mass Effect: Andromeda.

And there will be CIG, with a loving video of promises.

And they'll probably take in another million in a month. Cocaine will had, more vacations for Chris, cycle will continue.

Until people actually look at the actual product they are getting versus the pack of empty lies they are being told.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Yeah. That about sums it up.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

The Titanic posted:

words words words

There's nothing to talk about. Game is in development and you guys are master-trolling Derek Smart. What else is there really?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Lazrin posted:

https://www.tenor.co/view/alwayssunny-philadelphia-baby-dick-roxy-gif-3661044

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

There's nothing to talk about. Game is in development and you guys are master-trolling Derek Smart. What else is there really?

Can you tell me how long the game has been in development?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Daztek posted:

2012, plus time in 2011 to develop a demo and prototype for marketing purposes. 4 years.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Daztek posted:

A more important question would be "does MoMA know anything about game development in the first place."

MoMA! What is your favorite thing about SC that's already in this alpha early proof of concept that doesn't even do that.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

wtfosaurus is pretty upset about chat mods timing people out on one of CIGcommunity twitch shows for even asking about 2.6, he's mentioned he didn't think it was a good way for CIG to handle it a couple of times now.

Twerk17 was ranting quite a bit today about dog fighting with the ships being boring, boring, boring, boring. He did mention there's lots of other things you can do in Star Citizen, with the ships I guess you can get in and out (he was real happy to bind that to a joystick button to speed it up), use the lift on the constellation, ladders on the starfarer, turrents, doors on several ships. However as it's pre-alpha doors, lifts & ladders can obviously kill you and using a turret can send you to one of the nine circles of Hell. He could run around the FPS level looking for people though if he wanted, he might run into wtfosaurus.

Fun day for Boredgamer who was playing Titanfall2

Nichole "batgirl" D'Angelo was talking about a guest interview which might be fun.

The INN guys are not happy with the amount of time it takes to do youtube videos so we might see less content there.

AP fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 2, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Raskolnikov posted:

A more important question would be "does MoMA know anything about game development in the first place."

MoMA! What is your favorite thing about SC that's already in this alpha early proof of concept that doesn't even do that.

I'm sure he picked up some things when not dealing with refunds or writing ironclad ToS.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

2012, plus time in 2011 to develop a demo and prototype for marketing purposes. 4 years.

When you play the game, does it ever still feel like a demo or prototype for marketing purposes?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

The Titanic posted:

I still feel like Beer4TheBeerGod was one of the first to really delve into things and look at it from an objective standpoint. He's what got me interested in watching this again really. I'm not sure if Derek had a blog out when Beer was trying to get things ironed out with CIG and they kept dropping the ball, being an rear end, and moving goal posts.

This was before the scare of boogie men out to destroy the multinational company.

Beer had already started telling people to think hard about giving CIG any money in 2014, and to just not give them anything by 2015. Derek's blog was in July 2015.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

MilesK posted:

When you play the game, does it ever still feel like a demo or prototype for marketing purposes?

it's still very much like a demo; a fragmented demo. I'm waiting for the vertical slice. I think 3.0 will bring this, but don't expect it until q1 of next year.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ManofManyAliases posted:

it's still very much like a demo; a fragmented demo. I'm waiting for the vertical slice. I think 3.0 will bring this, but don't expect it until q1 of next year.

Are you involved in many other projects were you're still hoping to get a glimpse at a vertical slice 5 years in?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Raskolnikov posted:

Well Rask good question! My favorite thing about ICO is that it has no HUD, it captures scale very well and I was very invested in the characters themselves.

All three of these things were goals the developers had from day one for the game beeteadubs.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

What are you excited about most, the empty planet or... uh.. movable boxes?

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The cheap poo poo from China push hit 2.6 now if only the test could!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

No need to rush them like that, plenty of time & money left, they should really be thinking of more important things like a presentation for Games Com 2017.

Maybe they could have a sale then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

They seem capable of finishing that aren't video games. Maybe they should change their focus.

• Locked thread