Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Very disappointing that Iowa, Wisconsin, and Ohio, which used to be the centers of left-wing populism, are now running towards white nationalism at a faster rate than the rest of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Bhaal posted:

I was wondering, what methods do people here use to go through the local election parts of their ballot?

Like, not senators and props and stuff but stuff like the huge list of superior court judges and random offices like Chief Dog Catcher. Actually I guess the judges part is the one I'm most curious about, because the best I can do to get any info beyond just a list of names is to look them up on Ballotpedia, but just about every time it's a minimal CV highlighting places and dates of the person's career which is pretty opaque. The most I could get is stuff like "oh this judge was appointed by a past governor I hated" but that doesn't feel like a really strong yard stick.

Is there some place online that can highlight big rulings they had or other things like that. Where one could draw conclusions like "they throw the book at drug offenders no matter how minor the infraction" or "they tend to rule against employers in discrimination suits".

Otherwise I feel like I'm reading tea leaves and/or straight up choosing people based on what I think about their name.

Ballotpedia might help you.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Furnaceface posted:

B-b-b-but emails!

I think it's dishonest to paint the email issue as non important, since it did put confidential material at risk.

Still, better than Trump.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Basically she's going to win but with bad margins and no coattails.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's really worth noting that that lawsuit predates the wave of sexual assault accusations. That's when all of the 'there's probably nothing here, that just seems too unlikely that a man of his stature (who associates gladly with Epstein and treats women terribly) would do something so stupid.' I mean, I want to think that this country wouldn't nominate a loving child rapist, but that story is about a million times more in line with Trump's character as now known than it was six months ago when all those 'this is probably just someone who wants attention' articles were coming out.

Not untrue, I almost noted that in my initial post - but one thing that is very absent from even Trump's dozen current accusers is an accusation of him going past groping into actual rape (rather than sexual assault)*. And this is much more than that - the accusation says that he had women brought up to his room knowingly by other people and served to him like he was a Roman Emperor.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for such a thing to have happened, but it would be a severe deviation from the groping that's been in the prior accusations. In short, I wouldn't expect the child case to be the only one that's come out.

*this is not meant in any way to diminish the awfulness of Trump's behavior, or to imply that he has "only" committed sexual assault. His behavior is horrific.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

:lol:

Those same polls show Dems winning the senate, but I don't know why I even bother with you at this point.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 2, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bhaal posted:

I was wondering, what methods do people here use to go through the local election parts of their ballot?

Like, not senators and props and stuff but stuff like the huge list of superior court judges and random offices like Chief Dog Catcher. Actually I guess the judges part is the one I'm most curious about, because the best I can do to get any info beyond just a list of names is to look them up on Ballotpedia, but just about every time it's a minimal CV highlighting places and dates of the person's career which is pretty opaque. The most I could get is stuff like "oh this judge was appointed by a past governor I hated" but that doesn't feel like a really strong yard stick.

Is there some place online that can highlight big rulings they had or other things like that. Where one could draw conclusions like "they throw the book at drug offenders no matter how minor the infraction" or "they tend to rule against employers in discrimination suits".

Otherwise I feel like I'm reading tea leaves and/or straight up choosing people based on what I think about their name.

I already early-voted in California and this part of the ballot took the most research by far. The judges all had identical personal statements about how they believed in fairness, which is nice and all but I really want to know about things like how they feel about minimum sentencing, punitive vs. rehabilitative justice, trying minors as adults, and how cozy they are with the cops and the DAs. I don't know that I made perfect choices. The most useful info I found was their list of endorsements - Policeman's Union = No Thanks, for instance.

What state do you live in? We might be able to find some online resources.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's the plight of you, but it's not fair to suggest that white people don't suffer from poverty in America.

Intersectionality is the idea that people experience, racism, classism, sexism, etc in different ways based on the intersection of those societal forces. Not that being white gives a -10 modifier to poverty suffering so white people take no damage from being poor.

yes and since the conversation was more about racism and the metonymy (thanks for the new word TB), that's more what I was referring to.

I know white people can be poor because I used to be a poor white kid. I also know it was prooooobably a little easier for me to overcome than it was for the more diverse crowd.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I already early-voted in California and this part of the ballot took the most research by far. The judges all had identical personal statements about how they believed in fairness, which is nice and all but I really want to know about things like how they feel about minimum sentencing, punitive vs. rehabilitative justice, trying minors as adults, and how cozy they are with the cops and the DAs. I don't know that I made perfect choices. The most useful info I found was their list of endorsements - Policeman's Union = No Thanks, for instance.

Just spent hours reading about the judges that are up for retention in my district, and then the local sheriff candidates (incumbent dem domestic abuser or challenger republican lgbt hater)

I hate my stupid state.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Just stopped by my local Hillary GOTV office to grab signs and stickers/Dem voting guides/etc, I plan on volunteering for phone banking/canvassing tomorrow evening.

Every little bit helps! Get out and help people to VOTE FOR HILLARY :cool::hf::abuela:!!

I just saw the first yard signs go up near me(I've seen some in town, but not out where I live). Surprisingly, it was Hillary, along with a Duckworth sign. No House race signs though since we don't have a Dem candidate.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Very disappointing that Iowa, Wisconsin, and Ohio, which used to be the centers of left-wing populism, are now running towards white nationalism at a faster rate than the rest of the country.

Once the Great White Hope loses and they are utterly humiliated, they'll slink back under a rock for a few cycles and be even less relevant when they do resurface.

White nationalists, that is

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The lean states all collapsed promptly yesterday anyhow. The Senate races might still be salvageable, but you can guarantee a lot of pissed off almost-Senators will be calling Obama to let him know his FBI stooge hosed them good.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I have a confession. I took a lot of extra "I voted today!" stickers when I voted on Sunday.

I committed sticker-based voter fraud.

RIGGED! SAD!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Donald Trump has literally no idea that a new accuser is about to surface :lol:
Trump's sexual assault history is vast, detailed, ever-expanding, with lots of witnesses and victims, and has been in the news pretty consistently for a month.

And it hasn't been hurting his polls at all.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

wilderthanmild posted:

I have a confession. I took a lot of extra "I voted today!" stickers when I voted on Sunday.

I committed sticker-based voter fraud.

RIGGED! SAD!

Rage against the machine

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Yo. Non Serviam.

A double triple gently caress you.

And I'm posting this poo poo.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
yeah the senate is a lost cause due to Comey imo.

So get ready for another 4 years like the last 8, with Democrats compromising in order to desperately stave off the machinery of the country grinding to a halt (when's the next debt ceiling fight, again?).

The lesson of "stop voting Republican if you want your country to work properly" isn't one the American public has picked up on i guess

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Nonsense posted:

The lean states all collapsed promptly yesterday anyhow. The Senate races might still be salvageable, but you can guarantee a lot of pissed off almost-Senators will be calling Obama to let him know his FBI stooge hosed them good.

The Senate is fine. PA, NH, and NV are going to be fine. FL is now somehow in reach. NC might also be fine too, Burr's a loving moron, and the Governor's race is holding him down too.

a shameful boehner posted:

yeah the senate is a lost cause due to Comey imo.

So get ready for another 4 years like the last 8, with Democrats compromising in order to desperately stave off the machinery of the country grinding to a halt (when's the next debt ceiling fight, again?).

The lesson of "stop voting Republican if you want your country to work properly" isn't one the American public has picked up on i guess

Why do you guys keep falling for this poo poo.

The same CNN poll showed the Senate being perfectly fine for Dems. Q-Poll did too. Both of those have R-House Leans to them.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I've taken graduate courses in statistics too, does that mean I'm allowed to debate about 538? Actually, I don't have any real problems with Nate's model because while it definitely has its quirks, they have justification. I prefer others because I dislike some of the assumptions and I think the jumpiness is proving the point.

But, dude, come on:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/793869273076760576

**plausible**

Off a one-day swing in a poll. Who isn't rolling their eyes at this poo poo, at this point? I really don't get this guy at all. He's not an idiot, but he's sure good at playing one.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crows Turn Off posted:

Trump's sexual assault history is vast, detailed, ever-expanding, with lots of witnesses and victims, and has been in the news pretty consistently for a month.

And it hasn't been hurting his polls at all.

Yes it has, the bus video was a big hit in his polling. It's just that the decision voters are making isn't "Trump or Clinton?" it's "Trump or No One?" or "Clinton or No One?" and people who are likely voters are likely to, well, vote.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Crain posted:

Yo. Non Serviam.

isn't posting people irl phone numbers a dox? lol

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Once the Great White Hope loses and they are utterly humiliated, they'll slink back under a rock for a few cycles and be even less relevant when they do resurface.

White nationalists, that is

Nah, they'll be the Teabaggers of '18

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

How the hell did Ohio vote for a black president twice, but is polling so high for Trump? You can't simply say white people. Is Cuyahoga County LV's really that much lower this election? Higher misogyny than racism?
The white working class has been fleeing the Democratic party as the Republicans have slowly killed off unions and unskilled labor jobs have disappeared to automation or fled overseas.

Ohio is very white. Trump's White Grievance platform is finding fertile soil.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crain posted:

Yo. Non Serviam.

Hahaha I'm sorry you felt attacked.

This guy's a valuable member of the community but don't let a black poster use an exclamation point by god

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/793896636506316800

Sleep well friends of Trump, surely nothing too disturbing is swirling in your head right about now!

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

I work law-adjacent in Los Angeles and have dealt with, on both sides, the DOJ (for the most part, good!) and the local LA DA's office (often terrible!) so I don't know if this applies to you at all but basically for the judicial stuff, the process my colleagues and I use if we don't know the candidates is:

Vote for whichever one isn't a prosecutor
If they're both prosecutors, vote for the female or non-white male (the judiciary and justice system would DRAMATICALLY benefit from more women and people of color)
If they're both white male prosecutors, vote for the one whose department sounds the least bad (a "child sexual crimes" prosecutor is probably a better choice than the "VIOLENT GANG PROSECUTOR")
If by some insane miracle neither person running is a prosecutor, look into their law firms and see what kind of law they do and vote based on that (this almost never happens)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I know you're pants on loving head retarded, but 555 is fake.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I've taken graduate courses in statistics too, does that mean I'm allowed to debate about 538? Actually, I don't have any real problems with Nate's model because while it definitely has its quirks, they have justification. I prefer others because I dislike some of the assumptions and I think the jumpiness is proving the point.

But, dude, come on:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/793869273076760576

**plausible**

Off a one-day swing in a poll. Who isn't rolling their eyes at this poo poo, at this point? I really don't get this guy at all. He's not an idiot, but he's sure good at playing one.

I think what he was trying to say is that it might have made a dent in "snap-polling" [lack of a better term here] but that it faded quickly once more details came out and we reset to something like 4-6% margin.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Considering the 555, I don't think it's a real number.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Bhaal posted:

Like, not senators and props and other big ticket sections, but stuff like the huge list of superior court judges and random offices like Chief Dog Catcher. Actually I guess the judges part is the one I'm most curious about, because the best I can do to get any info beyond just a list of names is to look them up on Ballotpedia, but just about every time it's a minimal CV highlighting places and dates of the person's career which is pretty opaque to me. The most I could get is stuff like "oh this judge was appointed by a past governor I hated" but that doesn't feel like a really strong yard stick.

This year is different than normal, I'm voting straight D and will only do research on strictly non-partisan races that don't list party.

Normally I vote Democrat for all federal races, governor, and state legislative races. After that, I'll give points for being a Democrat and for being a competent incumbent and then I read about them, what they plan to do with the office they are running for. I normally find one or two Republicans to vote for, but this year I won't bother.

For stuff like school board and hospital board its tougher, I'm mainly looking to see who is the crazy gadfly who doesn't know what they are doing and not vote for them. Initiatives, you just have to read up on it from multiple trusted sources and figure out what you'd like the state to do.

Judges are difficult. In my state, we have retention elections, the governor appoints them and every so often we're asked if they can keep their job. If I do not know and can't find anything, then by default I vote to retain. There's usually some lawyer group or state bar association that puts together info on the judges up for retention, and I just basically assume they know what they are doing and accept that information as gospol. I'll sometimmes find a judge or two that the state bar is unhappy with and vote to boot them out of their courtrooms. Its probably a wasted effort though, because judges are never kicked out, except for that one time when the religious right flipped out and got 3 Iowa Supreme Court justices booted for the gay marriage ruling. A couple years later when the next set of justices were up for retention, the Iowa voters were able to see that the gay apocalypse wasn't upon us and retained them.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 2, 2016

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe this is just my feeling or whatever, but I think Hillary's massive GOTV strategy (and by extension Trump's non-strategy) is what's going to help her secure the senate and help her maybe even surprise a few people by not only winning North Carolina but also Ohio and mayyyybe even Arizona.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aerox posted:

I work law-adjacent in Los Angeles and have dealt with, on both sides, the DOJ (for the most part, good!) and the local LA DA's office (often terrible!) so I don't know if this applies to you at all but basically for the judicial stuff, the process my colleagues and I use if we don't know the candidates is:

Vote for whichever one isn't a prosecutor
If they're both prosecutors, vote for the female or non-white male (the judiciary and justice system would DRAMATICALLY benefit from more women and people of color)
If they're both white male prosecutors, vote for the one whose department sounds the least bad (a "child sexual crimes" prosecutor is probably a better choice than the "VIOLENT GANG PROSECUTOR")
If by some insane miracle neither person running is a prosecutor, look into their law firms and see what kind of law they do and vote based on that (this almost never happens)

Yeah! That's pretty much what I did, thanks for affirming my instincts there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

It is in fact that, guy who is also on my ignore list. Metonymy is dehumanizing.

am I on your ignore list :ohdear:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Munkeymon posted:

Nah, they'll be the Teabaggers of '18

Maybe, but there won't be anything like "Black Man in the White House" to keep them energized for 6+ years.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Considering the 555, I don't think it's a real number.

So he was trying out a sick burn over pm? lol

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

spacetoaster posted:

In the off chance he was dumb enough to send a real fax number to a random person on the internet:

I'll remove it if a mod/admin tells me to.

edit: 555 is fake anyway so gently caress him

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Welcome to the darkness.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/793900935135264768

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

am I on your ignore list :ohdear:

Perish the thought :glomp:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Crain posted:

Yo. Non Serviam.

I loving love this forum sometimes

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

PT6A posted:

It has nothing to do with feeling "white guilt" -- acknowledging the fact that you basically get a massive advantage for free doesn't mean you have to feel guilty about it

If you are a white male and have empathy you should definitely feel guilty about the advantages you own but don't deserve. It shouldn't be a crippling malaise that runs your life but if you don't feel even a little ashamed of your unearned privilege then it's hard to see how your worldview isn't warped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Xarthor posted:

Maybe this is just my feeling or whatever, but I think Hillary's massive GOTV strategy (and by extension Trump's non-strategy) is what's going to help her secure the senate and help her maybe even surprise a few people by not only winning North Carolina but also Ohio and mayyyybe even Arizona.

No, I'm all about this and I think it's going to be the "surprise" story of election night analysis.

• Locked thread