Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

glyph posted:

Been watching this one from the sidelines.

Awesome thread, amazing Psilocybe (That was the OG Dave handle, wasn't it?) made it in time to meet ES in person.

Yep. By the power of Greyskull, don't lick Battlecat! But I wanted to distance myself from the association with drug use so I changed it to 14 INCH :v:

West SAAB Story posted:

About drat time! Where's our story/monologue?

Working on piecing it together in my mind. Sims said I left Spokane day before yesterday but I literally have no concept of time right now. Im aware of the dawn of a fresh day and a clear mind, but ever since the jet I was actively hallucinating from sleep dep and isolation. I pulled over there and found it because it came to me that for the past half hour, Id been mentally on CA 101S to Monterey to visit my grandmother. She died 6 years ago. The only reason I even realised it was because the tone break in the black sky to night cloud line slowly resolved itself into a massive 3 stack foundry similar to the one at Moss Landing, but on a scale far beyond anything that we would be physically capable of building on Earth let alone with our current technology. Terror filled me that the Mountains of Madness had actually opened, and the Old Ones returned. Then it clicked I needed to pull over and get some coffee. Between the 2 days leading up to my departure from Seattle to arrival last night, across 4 days there was probably no more than 10 hours of sleep total simply trying to get a vehicle alive enough to make it. The Jeep has a swank rear end new radio in it, aux in, usb, all the colors, etc. It also had all the speakers taken out, presumably scavenged for the Gremlin/ So since the moment I left Seattle, all i had to keep me company was the sound of my own inner voice and things got a bit recursive there for a while. poo poo was terrifying. But the Jeep has earned its place in my stable, having had me actively trying to grenade the motor since the moment I hit Montana and the rage took over. Ive ordered the front and rear Dorman vacuum assemblies from the Napa in town, and now need to figure out how to get the cash my parents sent me because there isnt a single bank of america in state and the closest Walmart is a 2 hour drive. Jeep reeks strongly of gas and now appears 2qt overfull despite it being low last night so Im sure there cant possibly be any injectors leaking.

Seafoam yesterday was for a rapid spark plug de oiling, poo poo was way too hot to touch and I was crunched for time mentally and literally so when it began misfiring too bad to keep moving id pull over, suck down a seafoam shot and stall it out, blow the oil out, and take off at 85mph again. It worked drat well for what I needed.

VW is actually a fuel injected IRS '69. It's not Lowered Expectations, nothing else could ever be. But preemptive or not, the Jeep has a tow hitch and it has already been named.

It's name is Darkness.

Hello, Darkness.

My old friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah psilocybe has always been a good poster but jfc dude you outdo yourself every time. The yin to kastein's Yang for sure.

Glad you made it, can't wait for more truck updates.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Glad you made it, can't wait for more truck updates.

I need pictoral evidence of exactly where Sims left off.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)

14 BAR RIFF posted:

So since the moment I left Seattle, all i had to keep me company was the sound of my own inner voice and things got a bit recursive there for a while. poo poo was terrifying.

Seafoam yesterday was for a rapid spark plug de oiling, poo poo was way too hot to touch and I was crunched for time mentally and literally so when it began misfiring too bad to keep moving id pull over, suck down a seafoam shot and stall it out, blow the oil out, and take off at 85mph again. It worked drat well for what I needed.

It's name is Darkness.

:allbuttons:

HFS, dude. I can't imagine ever driving with only my thoughts- that's when poo poo gets far too introspective.

If you decide to return (but I personally hope you've written off WA), I might be around Billings in the next couple weeks- I'd be happy to take you out for chow and pass you cash from anything else I might sell on SAMart/CL. There's an awesome pull yard in Billings where you can dredge out whatever you want, and a good buddy of mine has been buying from them since the 70s, so we can get parts for pennies if you need to feed the Darkness.

Hell, if you come through Reno, I'd be happy to put you up- I have a very uncomfortable couch, a dog that shits everywhere, and a convertible in need of a new HG!

I wish we had a running monologue of your trip- I can only half-imagine your internal struggle! I stayed up waaay too late (drinking) waiting for every subsequent update from Sims. Give me an address and I'll send you an unlocked GSM Nexus 4 and a cheapo wifi tablet if you want one (probably not with a laptop in the works).

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 2, 2016

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Lantern, stove, heater, or beverage?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dagen H posted:

Back up plan for Jeep catastrophic failure. Not joking, packed specifically with that explicit purpose.

Pic captions in order:

Socking it to Spokane, noticed after firing up to leave. Left it there.

Jeepocalypse Now

Headlight fix

Average oil puddle at any stop anywhere for any length of time.

Idaho

For people discussing trip needs, like a roll of this for the jeep interior, maybe 2 rolls tops.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Enerflex...xA&gclsrc=aw.ds

a large can of spray adhesive

arent there like heaters that can plug onto a propane can? For outside use on late truck nights in case it gets cold. Don't spend a gently caress ton of money or worry about overkill, I know I've seen them at goodwills for relatively cheap and this is not a necessity its more a 'hey i had this laying around and he says it could be useful' spit balling for thawing out hands if the weather turns harsh.

For the people offering smokes, hell yes. Camel 99 is my preferred, but I will literally smoke anything as Im sure my track record indicates

ANYTHING.

Hell I already tasted the fasty's oil

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Hell I already tasted the fasty's oil

And what's the status on that, is it resurrectable?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)

Seminal Flu posted:

And what's the status on that, is it resurrectable?

I think by now that we all realize that 14" doesn't realize when it's time to let go until far, far too late. Of course it's fixable!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

West SAAB Story posted:

I think by now that we all realize that 14" doesn't realize when it's time to let go until far, far too late. Of course it's fixable!

I was only a week late :colbert:

I hear the motor is blown on it but the engine oil looked good on the stick....its intact minus the trunk hatch lid and a spark plug wire and a shift knob and a windshield :unsmigghh:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
kerosene heater or a small camping lp one can be easily had.

E: https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F215100-3800-BTU-Propane/dp/B001CFRF7I

I use one of these on moto camping trips.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dagen H posted:

I received that picture and the below message while Dave was still stuck in Spokane, right before we organized funds:

14 INCH posted:

to get to butte its 315 miles. gas is unconfirmed if any gains but was 10mpg before. have oil to make it. id say 150 covers gas if it stays low and provides a supply buffer for oh poo poo needs. all repairs are being done without care for aesthetic but instead speed and functionality with it making nebraska alone

by the time i make butte thatll determine if we press on or if i have molotoved the jeep

(Picture of camping fuel)

and im not joking on that

I decided not to post it at the time, because it was a rather dark post at the point that most were saying to turn back, and while unsure about what Dave should do at the time, I thought it best to focus on getting him back going. Wherever that may be.

It was a rare editorialization. Mostly I posted whatever he sent, minus some logistical back and forth.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 2, 2016

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
14 has requested some things here in the thread, and also a few things in text (like some licorice and 5 hour energy shots). I am more than happy to place a big order on Amazon since I have Prime and can have him this stuff Friday if anyone wants to pitch in. I am also going to send him a laptop and load some smokes and such up in the box with it. PM me or something anyone.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I was only a week late :colbert:

I hear the motor is blown on it but the engine oil looked good on the stick....its intact minus the trunk hatch lid and a spark plug wire and a shift knob and a windshield :unsmigghh:
It need's a shift knob???

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

e. /\/\/\holy poo poo

So is the end-game here a drive of the truck to FLA? If so, then what - fly back to NE, to drive either the jeep or the veedub back to Seattle?

I imagine moving away from Seattle is a no-go at least in the short term, since that's where 14 keeps his stuff, his cat, his doctor(s), and his unemployment income. Not to mention his other cars.

Is 14 literally camping in a field in Nebraska in November? Because if so, a kerosene stove is just the start of it; he needs a below-zero grade sleeping bag and a waterproof enclosure to camp in, because a pile of socks in the back of the jeep might not cut it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Crotch Fruit posted:

I already got him one of those. I think it was a redback though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Leperflesh posted:

Is 14 literally camping in a field in Nebraska in November? Because if so, a kerosene stove is just the start of it; he needs a below-zero grade sleeping bag and a waterproof enclosure to camp in, because a pile of socks in the back of the jeep might not cut it.

What are you on about? The average daily high/low for Valentine Nebraska is 56/25, with a record low of 11. It's not the Pacific Northwest, but it's FAR from the Midwest in January/February. Camping in the Jeep with a kerosene stove is only risky for the fire-catching possibility. Actual heat won't be a problem.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seminal Flu posted:

What are you on about? The average daily high/low for Valentine Nebraska is 56/25, with a record low of 11. It's not the Pacific Northwest, but it's FAR from the Midwest in January/February. Camping in the Jeep with a kerosene stove is only risky for the fire-catching possibility. Actual heat won't be a problem.

Keep in mind the prairie gets a lot of consistent wind, and windchill is a serious problem for us flatlanders.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Also, you know, he has a house with a working furnace and mattress to stay in.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Shoulda used red paint, would have made it faster

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought "14... VW... shift knob?"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

I was thinking in terms of 0 degrees C, so that'd be 32 F, so probably not even good enough if he were to see those sub-freezing temps. Also when buying cheapo bags, tons of them are rated at 0C but are actually not safe to sleep in at those temps, because they're cheapo bags nobody seriously doing winter camping would look at. A good subzero bag costs like $300+ though, so :shrug:

You also never run a fuel stove inside your sleeping compartment, that's a great way to die of carbon monoxide poisoning in your sleep.

But anyway

ExplodingSims posted:

Also, you know, he has a house with a working furnace and mattress to stay in.

So oh. I don't think we'd heard that before, I got the distinct impression 14 was camping in a field that wasn't at an actual house, or something. Nevermind! Being indoors is good.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I wanna know more about that beautiful blue FJ40.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 INCH posted:

with van finished work on my truck finally begins. feel like there was something else im forgetting to do though

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Maybe we can get kastein to come down to fix 14"s Jeep while 14" works on the truck

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

This is the best goddamned thing.

And what is the address for money sending? I've skipped over a lot of pages (it's bookmarked so I can read the full saga when I have time, don't worry).

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I wish it would have been driven there like this.

This pair of threads is an exploding neon sign highlighting the absolute ridiculosity that makes AI the best goddamned automotive forum on the internet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

Maybe we can get kastein to come down to fix 14"s Jeep while 14" works on the truck

I already suggested that but Kastein has all sorts of responsibilities or some nonsense.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I already suggested that but Kastein has all sorts of responsibilities or some nonsense.

Responsibilities and house assembly/car disassembly to finish before he gets snowed in, I assume.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
By my deeds, I honor him.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Holy poo poo.
I just chewed my way through the entire thread in the last couple days. Now that's a head rush.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

14 INCH posts are without fail the best posts I have read on something awful dot com. All glory to the great v8, all praise to its disciples, those unrelenting few who push on through fire and ice and massive clouds of blue smoke! God drat what a ride this thread has been.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Of Winches and Wartrukks: A 14 Teef Story :orks:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
14", please provide a mailing address/email/whatever so that we can finance this amazing adventure.

everdave, angryrobots, AI owes y'all a debt of gratitude.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

SuperDucky posted:

14", please provide a mailing address/email/whatever so that we can finance this amazing adventure.

everdave, angryrobots, AI owes y'all a debt of gratitude.

You can PM me or AR for address I am just hesitant to post it publicly no idea if it matters. And this is what AI is for I am happy to help in any small way I can.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You didn't gently caress up.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ok, guys.

Dave is asking for ideas about how to get access to the money already in his bank account. There is no Bank of America in the state. Currently he is trying to contact his bank to see if they can mail him a new debit card.

This would solve a lot of the logistics of getting funds to Dave in the field, but still need to have a plan about how we would get funds into his bank account should that be necessary, in the quickest way with the least charges.

I would suggest also having a backup plan, maybe sending an already activated reloadable card mailed to him?

This is where he/I/we all need help in the form of suggestions. The closest Wal-Mart is 2.5 hrs away. There are local banks in Valentine. Dave has 1 hr of internet access at the local library per day (that's where he read the thread and posted earlier today). The jeep has 1/4 tank fuel but...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I already talked to angryrobots but in the morning I am going to check on reloada le cards at the dollar store and let everyone know about fees and stuff. If we find one easily reloadable online with low fees I'm happy to do the initial purchase and send it out to 14 and then we can coordinate funds from whoever wants to participate later. I say a good idea would be anyone who just wants to send funds go ahead and send to angryrobots PayPal if he is ok with that and then he or I can work together moving funds wherever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

angryrobots posted:

Ok, guys.

Dave is asking for ideas about how to get access to the money already in his bank account. There is no Bank of America in the state. Currently he is trying to contact his bank to see if they can mail him a new debit card.

This would solve a lot of the logistics of getting funds to Dave in the field, but still need to have a plan about how we would get funds into his bank account should that be necessary, in the quickest way with the least charges.

I would suggest also having a backup plan, maybe sending an already activated reloadable card mailed to him?

This is where he/I/we all need help in the form of suggestions. The closest Wal-Mart is 2.5 hrs away. There are local banks in Valentine. Dave has 1 hr of internet access at the local library per day (that's where he read the thread and posted earlier today). The jeep has 1/4 tank fuel but...

Open an account at a local bank and use the BoA website to do a wire transfer into the new account? Lotta small banks have free accounts.

• Locked thread