Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What was different about the rodeo mechanic in Titanfall 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
While rodeoing you could shoot into the robots robobrain to do pretty serious damage. The Spitfire in TF1 did the most so and was also not garbage like it is here so everyone used it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Lets do this poo poo tonight.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

To elaborate on what Orv said, there was no concept of batteries and it didn't force you to jump off. So potentially you could take down a Titan with one rodeo if you stayed on long enough without getting killed. This meant that basically everyone always had electric smoke (which was a loadout choice) or cluster missile (you could shoot it against a wall and then back your Titan into it to kill the enemy pilot). That and 40mm dominance really narrowed down the choices for customization, which is one of multiple reason why I don't mind the preset loadouts of the new Titans and the new rodeo mechanic.

Also, when rodeoing a friendly Titan, you were protected by that Titan's regenerating shield. Overall I don't mind the lack of regenerating shields, but I find it a little disappointing that riding on your buddy's back is much more dangerous now,

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are all the batteries located on the back of the Titans? If so you could mostly protect a pilot giving you a battery by backing against a wall.

And yeah, Ronin would be OP as gently caress if there were regenerating shields,

EDIT: This guy on Flickr is making Lego models of the Titans and they're really rad. So far only Ronin, Northstar, Ion and one from Titanfall 1.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 2, 2016

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

runchild posted:

To elaborate on what Orv said, there was no concept of batteries and it didn't force you to jump off. So potentially you could take down a Titan with one rodeo if you stayed on long enough without getting killed. This meant that basically everyone always had electric smoke (which was a loadout choice) or cluster missile (you could shoot it against a wall and then back your Titan into it to kill the enemy pilot). That and 40mm dominance really narrowed down the choices for customization, which is one of multiple reason why I don't mind the preset loadouts of the new Titans and the new rodeo mechanic.

Also, when rodeoing a friendly Titan, you were protected by that Titan's regenerating shield. Overall I don't mind the lack of regenerating shields, but I find it a little disappointing that riding on your buddy's back is much more dangerous now,

never played TF1 but from that description, I think I like the TF2 approach better for rodeoing.

BUT it would be super rad if Titans had shielded rider hard points. Particularly if you could spec as a "carrier" and get all your buddies manning turrets and poo poo.

Basically, I want to play this:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah a titan with shielded turrets is a cool idea. It's extremely strong in a fight but it also keeps multiple pilots busy(and is less flexible than just 3 regular titans).

EDIT: A healer titan could be cool too though that might make coordinated teams ever more ridiculous.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 2, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RatHat posted:

Are all the batteries located on the back of the Titans? If so you could mostly protect a pilot giving you a battery by backing against a wall.

And yeah, Ronin would be OP as gently caress if there were regenerating shields,

EDIT: This guy on Flickr is making Lego models of the Titans and they're really rad. So far only Ronin, Northstar, Ion and one from Titanfall 1.

I'd buy the poo poo out of these if they were official Lego sets.

Also:

https://www.titanfall.com/dropatitanonit

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Personal titan balance thoughts:

Ronin and Northstar : reduce health by 2500, give regenerating 2500 health shield.

Legion : fine as is. Perhaps increase spin up time VERY SLIGHTLY.

Scorch : really damage feels a bit underwhelming. Mainly because he had no way to force people to stay in his traps for any significant period. I think perhaps having firewall prevent dashing on hit would work?

Tone: remove the extra tracking rockets perk. It's the only perk that flat it out increases a titans damage. Replace it with tracking rockets fly much faster instead.

Ion: remove energy cost of secondary fire. Add a way more obvious ui overlay for the energy / laser combo.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 2, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Could just have Scorch's fire apply a dot that lasts like a second after leaving the fire.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mr.Citrus posted:

Ronin and Northstar : reduce health by 2500, give regenerating 2500 health shield.

Scorch : really damage feels a bit underwhelming. Mainly because he had no way to force people to stay in his traps for any significant period. I think perhaps having firewall prevent dashing on hit would work?

Tone: remove the extra tracking rockets perk. It's the only perk that flat it out increases a titans damage. Replace it with tracking rockets fly much faster instead.

Ion: remove energy cost of secondary fire. Add a way more obvious ui overlay for the energy / laser combo.

You get higher DPS on tone from the crit shot gives an extra lockon. Two shots/one shot sonar -> rockets is super high DPS

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mr.Citrus posted:

So remove the other 4 Titans then? Because nobody is going to play them anymore when the two highest-mobility Titans in the game can engage-disengage at will with devastating peek-a-boos and a regenerating shield to soak the return fire.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I've got a very important question: Can you kill a pilot by hitting them with Tone's sonar "rocket"?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
You should be able to? I know I've died from being hit by the sonar knife.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So remove the other 4 Titans then? Because nobody is going to play them anymore when the two highest-mobility Titans in the game can engage-disengage at will with devastating peek-a-boos and a regenerating shield to soak the return fire.

Literally every other titan than the stryders have regenerating shields.

Right now stryders just get chipped away too fast too be viable against anyone not brainless.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Mr.Citrus posted:

The better thermal shield on Scorch gives him a huge damage buff (a full shield will destroy a light titan in one charge).

My thoughts on titan balance.

Give ronin two charges on phase dash and the ability to fly.

Replace tone's rifle with a sword and replace the tracking missiles with throwing daggers.

Replace Legion's chain gun with a sword and give him an ult called "soul caliber" where the sword becomes sentient and automatically slices the nearest enemy.

Replace Ion's splitter rifle with a sword and replace his tripwire with punji traps.

Replace Scorches thermite launcher with a sword. Instead of slamming the ground with fire or throwing out gas canisters he deploys a smoke bomb to sneak away.

Replace northstars railgun with a sword and replace his cluster missile with a series of explosive ninja stars (his ult too).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think part of the problem/possible not actual problem is that some titans excel at killing other Titans and some are better against pilots and ground troops, but everyone kind of wants their Titan to be good at everything.

For example I feel like I get wrecked sometimes by other titans as ronin but at the same time how many grunt/ pilot kills would I have sacrificed playing as legion instead?

There's a reason you can switch titans mid match.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Mr.Citrus posted:

Literally every other titan than the stryders have regenerating shields.

Right now stryders just get chipped away too fast too be viable against anyone not brainless.

No they don't. No titans have regenerating shields.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

No they don't. No titans have regenerating shields.

Apparently vortex shield, thermal shield, shield wall, and gun shield aren't shields.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
they dont modify the base health of the titan and are active

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I think part of the problem/possible not actual problem is that some titans excel at killing other Titans and some are better against pilots and ground troops, but everyone kind of wants their Titan to be good at everything.

For example I feel like I get wrecked sometimes by other titans as ronin but at the same time how many grunt/ pilot kills would I have sacrificed playing as legion instead?

There's a reason you can switch titans mid match.

Well, Tone is good at everything, which is why it's the best titan, so

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mr.Citrus posted:

Apparently vortex shield, thermal shield, shield wall, and gun shield aren't shields.

Ronin's sword block doesn't count as a shield? And Northstar's "shield" is being able to kill Titans from the other end of the map.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Mr.Citrus posted:

So in your mind ronin's phase dash, an ability which makes him literally immune to all damage does not count as a shield? Or his sword deflect which reduces all damage he receives by half?

When you talk about shields, most people assume you mean a regenerating shield like titanfall 1. Most of the shields you're describing are directional and relatively weak. Ronin's ability to negate all damage for a period of time while also moving quickly might be the best "shield like" ability.

An omni-directional regenerating shield like titanfall 1 is a terrible solution, it would be very very strong, especially on highly mobile titans. Northstar is supposed to have lovely defense, he's a sniper. Instead of a traditional shield style ability he has tether traps to lock enemies down and help him escape.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I think Legion should spawn with 100% core and never run out

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mr.Citrus posted:

We already had this conversation. I said the same thing.

Even if you want to call them all shields - and I do, btw - the problem here is that a shield that automatically regenerates, doesn't count as a defensive ability, and is active and protects from 360 degrees of fire while allowing the Titan to shoot and act normally is absurdly better than any of the other shields in the game.

It doesn't work. Northstar doesn't have a shield for a very specific reason. Ronin doesn't have a shield for a very specific reason.

The real problem is that Legion is almost as good of a sniper as Northstar (he can reach out and touch anyone with his finger of god chaingun) in addition to being Death Incarnate at close range, and Tone is very good at everything (burst, long range, short range, pilots, titans - she doesn't care) in addition to having an amazing utility power.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 2, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Daztek posted:

I think Legion should spawn with 100% core and never run out

Same

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

IMO, just take away Legion's long range toggle entirely and give him something else in that slot. Maybe a temporary small buff to movement and spinup speed or something. Don't really know what to do about Tone.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Just dropped $60 American Dollars on a digital version of TF2 after renting it for 5 days. I hope the ps4 population doesn't vanish after IW is released this friday

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

IMO, just take away Legion's long range toggle entirely and give him something else in that slot. Maybe a temporary small buff to movement and spinup speed or something. Don't really know what to do about Tone.

Agreed, now fix tone!

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

So in your mind ronin's phase dash, an ability which makes him literally immune to all damage does not count as a shield? Or his sword deflect which reduces all damage he receives by half?

When you talk about shields, most people assume you mean a regenerating shield like titanfall 1. Most of the shields you're describing are directional and relatively weak. Ronin's ability to negate all damage for a period of time while also moving quickly might be the best "shield like" ability.

An omni-directional regenerating shield like titanfall 1 is a terrible solution, it would be very very strong, especially on highly mobile titans. Northstar is supposed to have lovely defense, he's a sniper. Instead of a traditional shield style ability he has tether traps to lock enemies down and help him escape.

The shields I'm describing are anything but weak. They can all absorb an immense amount of damage. They all effectively act as extra regenerating health. Two of four shields let you continue to attack, and the other two can do immense damage with proper application.

Sword block still has you take substantial (compared to your total health pool) chip damage. It also kills ronins mobility and doesn't allow any kind of attack. You can't continue to dash with it up like other shields, it doesn't deter people from pressing the attack like other shields, and doesn't allow you to continue the assault like other shields. It's the shittiest shield there is.

Phase dash is potent, but it's got a weird place where ronin needs to be able to use it offensively and defensively.

For reference, I'm not someone who plays a ton of ronin/northstar and wants my mech buffed. My most played titans are legion scorch and tone. I think the stryders are all really weak.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 2, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Knifegrab posted:

Agreed, now fix tone!

Look man I can only have so many daring flashes of insight in a day

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

A few highlights from play tonight!

https://my.mixtape.moe/vhrlga.mp4

https://gfycat.com/RashPreciousBats

https://gfycat.com/FatalHarmfulGar

(Yes, I know my aim sucks)

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Buff Ronin because he doesn't have a half naked lady nose art I mean what the hell honestly.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So is there a way keep the game from doing that "I'm looking at my stream while streaming" effect I get sometimes when I zoom in and there's a smoke effect somewhere in my vision? It's really killing my aim.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Knifegrab posted:

The better thermal shield on Scorch gives him a huge damage buff (a full shield will destroy a light titan in one charge).

poo poo, I can destroy a Tone from full health on a single charge. If I run into an auto-Titan as Scorch it will die in 5 seconds, guaranteed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can dash with the sword block up

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Conot posted:

A few highlights from play tonight!

https://gfycat.com/RashPreciousBats

https://gfycat.com/FatalHarmfulGar

(Yes, I know my aim sucks)

Do you play with a controller on PC?

Nalin posted:

poo poo, I can destroy a Tone from full health on a single charge. If I run into an auto-Titan as Scorch it will die in 5 seconds, guaranteed.

That's why I am starting to love scorch, his flame shield makes him into a fat ronin.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

In Training posted:

You can dash with the sword block up

Maybe it's angle of effect needs to be wider? I was always assuming the buff was dropping cuz I've definitely taken large chunks while dashing with block up.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Any way to upgrade to the Deluxe Edition? I've decided I love the game and want to throw more money at the devs for it but not $80 love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think it's just not a great blocking tool, especially against somebody like legion. It's better to just escape than to play and be defensive