Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Red Warrior posted:

I was hoping Google would clear out those cases for the 5x, but they just completely dropped them when the Pixels were added to the store. All the 'official genuine' ones on eBay look like crappy fakes and the feedback items for them often talk about the fabric peeling off/discoloring etc.

I see it from Adopted on Amzn for $35-$39..............which is painful obviously. Reviews say it's not the "folio" version even though that's what is shows for the black one and nobody is complaining about it falling apart like the fakes.

Adopted Skin for Nexus 5X - Retail Packaging - Quartz

https://www.amazon.com/Adopted-Skin-Nexus-5X-Packaging/dp/B01897A7NU/ref=sr_1_2?srs=9420028011&ie=UTF8&qid=1478114475&sr=8-2&keywords=Nexus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Red Warrior posted:

I was hoping Google would clear out those cases for the 5x, but they just completely dropped them when the Pixels were added to the store. All the 'official genuine' ones on eBay look like crappy fakes and the feedback items for them often talk about the fabric peeling off/discoloring etc.

I'm using a fake Chinese eBay 5x fabric portfolio case, and aside from the nexus logo being printed slightly differently, I can't tell the difference from the genuine one it replaced

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252445504624

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 2, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The phones in the OP are really outdated. I'm going to try to fix my LG G2, but if it's not something I can't fix without parts, I may as well just buy a new one.

What is the new recommendation for a non-flagship phone around G2 dimensions? That's 5.5" tall, 2.8" wide. A little extra width wouldn't be a problem, and I could probably go a little taller too, but I just bought my wife a Moto G4, and that would be too big. Would a G4 play be okay? It looks significantly worse than the normal Moto G4 and possibly even worse than the LG G2.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is the 5x an option? Because if so, you should get the 5x.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Seconded. It's the best phone of its size by a lot, unless you wanna pay pixel prices.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Pixel is far and away your best option. If you want a good budget phone, the Nexus 5X is your next best option.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I'm just curious what everyone's consensus would be on buying a Pixel through Verizon or through Google. I feel like I could get a Pixel quicker through Verizon, but have no idea how they'll treat updates when they actually come out.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I'm just curious what everyone's consensus would be on buying a Pixel through Verizon or through Google. I feel like I could get a Pixel quicker through Verizon, but have no idea how they'll treat updates when they actually come out.

It's entirely on whether you believe Google and Verizon or not. Both Google and Verizon have said Verizon and non-Verizon Pixels will get updates on the same day (similar to how iOS does updates, where carriers do testing and updates are then rolled out to all models on the same day). I have mine via Verizon, I'm not especially concerned about updates, doubly so considering the bootloader has been unlocked already, so.
If you want to be a weirdo, you could theoretically unlock the bootloader of the Verizon Pixel, flash Google's stock image, and turn it into a non-branded Pixel, I think?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

In non-pixel news, I got the email that my Google Home had shipped so I'll be able to talk to the wall in a couple of days and it'll finally answer back.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

It's entirely on whether you believe Google and Verizon or not. Both Google and Verizon have said Verizon and non-Verizon Pixels will get updates on the same day (similar to how iOS does updates, where carriers do testing and updates are then rolled out to all models on the same day). I have mine via Verizon, I'm not especially concerned about updates, doubly so considering the bootloader has been unlocked already, so.
If you want to be a weirdo, you could theoretically unlock the bootloader of the Verizon Pixel, flash Google's stock image, and turn it into a non-branded Pixel, I think?

I do agree. Right now I'm leaning towards getting it from Verizon just because I can also get $200 off the price by selling my old phone, plus get a pixel immediately rather than waiting a while. I feel like it's a good enough deal. I'm just really hoping that Verizon follows through and pushes updates the same day as Google. It's just something that doesn't really sound like Verizon.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Luchadork posted:

I like the new Messenger design, less wasted space.

Agreed. Looks great.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
Sorry, I'm sure this has likely been rehashed over and over but could anyone give me a brief rundown or links to why I might aim to get a 5x, 6p, or something like that over the Oneplus 3? It sounds like the 5x is the current recommendation if the Pixel isn't an option but I'm not sure why. I'm in Canada and would be buying the phone outright, not sure if that makes a difference. I do prefer to pay up front, just to know that if I break the thing I won't be sitting around making monthly payments on something I can't use.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Android Central did a puff piece about how good the Pixel XL is for traveling, however, I wanted to link it due to the image gallery.

http://www.androidcentral.com/pixel-xl-perfect-travel-companion?utm_medium=superfeature&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=ac

They are a bit noisy as one would expect in the low light, but still that's seriously impressive, even full size.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Melraidin posted:

Sorry, I'm sure this has likely been rehashed over and over but could anyone give me a brief rundown or links to why I might aim to get a 5x, 6p, or something like that over the Oneplus 3? It sounds like the 5x is the current recommendation if the Pixel isn't an option but I'm not sure why. I'm in Canada and would be buying the phone outright, not sure if that makes a difference. I do prefer to pay up front, just to know that if I break the thing I won't be sitting around making monthly payments on something I can't use.

Big fan of the OP3 here. Let me list for you just a few of the many (even myriad) reasons why one might want to get a OnePlusThree:
-China
-Most Ram
-SD card [i[inside[/i] battery (removables)
-2 batterys
-3 sim cards (controls chip, mainly)
-standard plug
-nonstandard charge
-single screen
-waterproof (?)

If you want more please send a pic of your cleaves to our user forum at https://www.3.one

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tried out the Pixel XL camera in downtown Vancouver in the middle of the night during pouring rain.... it's pretty pretty pretty pretty good

Zero editing... you can't see poo poo IRL

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Brb going to the court house to shank a dude

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Scaramouche posted:

Brb going to the court house to shank a dude

Ha you'll be placated by the persistent weed cloud 30 feet in.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Android Central did a puff piece about how good the Pixel XL is for traveling, however, I wanted to link it due to the image gallery.

http://www.androidcentral.com/pixel-xl-perfect-travel-companion?utm_medium=superfeature&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=ac

They are a bit noisy as one would expect in the low light, but still that's seriously impressive, even full size.

This part is loving bonkers:

quote:

(Examining EXIF data from some of my night shots shows ISOs approaching 2000.)

Note how lovely and grainy the ISO 1600 part looks:

That's presumably taken on a DSLR too, which has a positively massive sensor compared to the Pixel.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
It's all in the post processing. Buddy of mine did some raw comparisons and iPhone7/Pixel raws are hilariously noisy compared to a good quality Nikon. Yet if you let the phone do it's thing in auto mode, it's incredible how good the mobile phone pictures end up compared to the Nikon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FAUXTON posted:

This part is loving bonkers:

Note how lovely and grainy the ISO 1600 part looks:

That's presumably taken on a DSLR too, which has a positively massive sensor compared to the Pixel.

Well, to be fair, that article was written 4 years ago. Cameras across the board have gotten less noisy at higher ISOs. I would say my A6000 looks closer to the ISO 800 shot at ISO 3200.

But yes, thats the magic of the HDR+ processing. By taking a burst at multiple exposures, it can average out the results to reduce noise at higher ISO values.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know if it's possible to have Now track an inbound flight and let me know when to leave to pick someone up from that flight?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I literally just put in my last monthly payment for my current sprint contract and plan to move to Fi ASAP. Should I give up any hope of getting a 5" really blue 128GB from Fi? Just wondering at what point I'm just gonna give up and put in the order.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

I literally just put in my last monthly payment for my current sprint contract and plan to move to Fi ASAP. Should I give up any hope of getting a 5" really blue 128GB from Fi? Just wondering at what point I'm just gonna give up and put in the order.

It explicitly says that the Really Blue Pixels don't come in 128GB sizes so I'd expect that to not change

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Silver it is then. I wasn't sure if the 128 blue was ever actually in stock so just wanted some clarification. Thanks!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In case anyone was wondering, Wifi calling works fine out of the box with the Pixel on Verizon. You just have to enable it and set an address for 911. It will still favor the cellular network for calls if it can, but I put my phone on airplane mode and connected to wifi and the call came in instantly.

Since there have been reports of native visual voicemail working on the 5x after the 7.1 update, I wonder if prior Nexus devices will also get wifi calling when 7.1 comes out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to have Now track an inbound flight and let me know when to leave to pick someone up from that flight?

Iirc it does that if they send you their flight itinerary/receipt thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Iirc it does that if they send you their flight itinerary/receipt thing.

I even start getting flight updates via Google Now if I so much as Google search a flight number.

e: also the dude asking about Live Case delays, mine just shipped this morning

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
My pixel order is now listed as pending instead of preordered. Yay?

Also, I'm trying to think of what to do with my Nexus, and I might just make it into a dedicated htpc remote. Is there some kind of IR blaster I could stick in here to let me turn on my tv and stuff?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

I wrote poorly and forgot the range of smartphone prices. To be more accurate, is there something else around the $200 mark?

What's the deal with BLU phones? They seem too good to be true. Around the same price and specs as Chinese phones, but with less spyware to capture my dickpics to blackmail me when I start my political career.

E: Actually, this seems like exactly what the recommend me a phone thread is for.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 3, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any phones in existence that can record video in HEVC yet? There was a Samsung NX1 camera that came out in 2014 so I'd have assumed someone would have gotten to it by now..

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I even start getting flight updates via Google Now if I so much as Google search a flight number.

Yeah, I have that, it'd just be nice to have Now take traffic into account for me.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

hooah posted:

Yeah, I have that, it'd just be nice to have Now take traffic into account for me.

It usually makes a calendar event for me with the airport set as the location, so this "just works".

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
What is the current hivemind recommendation for budget Android GSM phone? We want to get the mother-in-law off the old-rear end blackberry so she can video chat with our kid.

Moto something? Something off Swappa?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If a phone's specs and price make you think "hey this seems too good to be true" then maybe it is too good to be true.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FunOne posted:

What is the current hivemind recommendation for budget Android GSM phone? We want to get the mother-in-law off the old-rear end blackberry so she can video chat with our kid.

Moto something? Something off Swappa?

I got my mom a moto g4 plus and it's suiting her needs pretty well.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

People looking for Pixel cases -- Android Police is reviewing a bunch of them.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I've got the regular G4, really solid phone.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Pixel XL imo.

I watched like 4 hours of baseball last night, and the phone didn't just laugh and turn off immediately like my s6 would have

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

If a phone's specs and price make you think "hey this seems too good to be true" then maybe it is too good to be true.

Just because something isn't as good as it seems doesn't mean it's not good enough.

Don't get me wrong, I expect there to be some deal breaking flaw, but I would at least like to know what the flaws are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I wish Otterbox made a Symmetry for the Pixel XL