Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Where the gently caress are you getting the race stuff from. The quote is so incredibly innocuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

What is there even to get mad about in that quote? "So far its been an amazing creative environment to work in." WHAT THE gently caress NOT MY STAR WARS.

Fans don't want to hear about who the director is or what their personal creative vision is. The fact that each of these movies is going to be directed by someone different is probably something that a lot of fans want to ignore as much as possible.

As much as people complain about Disney turning Star Wars into a safe, corporate product, its does seem to be exactly what the fans want. No surprises, just give us the same Star Wars we've always had(except those three movies that we all hate amirite?)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

The MSJ posted:

Angry Star Wars Nerd in a comment section #2 posted:

There is AB-SO-LU-TE-LY NO ROOM AT ALL for any personal vanity or self fulfilment in this movie.

Hahaha. Of course we can't have vanity & selfishness in a story about an immature young, anti-authoritarian scoundrel (and his shaggy space dog)!

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

HotCanadianChick posted:

A monarch, on the other hand, absolutely specifies a form of governance based on some form of hereditary inheritance, usually based upon some supposed specialness of the ruling family, such as a 'divine right' or blessing they purport to have.

Not in Rome! The Roman kings were elected for life by the curiate assembly until the last king was such a piece of poo poo that it soured the entire concept of monarchy for the Romans for centuries. The senate was even assassinating people before Julius Caesar, because they perceived certain populist leaders like the Gracchi brothers to be trying to establish themselves as kings. The impression I get is that since they didn't have our modern concept of a dictator, republican Romans viewed kings the same way we view dictators.

It would've been neat if the prequels had clarified what government existed before the republic. Other sith dictatorships, I guess.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Phi230 posted:

Well yeah an Emperor is a monarch but not in Star Wars.

Palpy is supposed to be space hitler.

He got his power by being granted emergency powers from the senate. Just like Hitler.

The Empire itself is a military fascist state akin to more a Roman/Imperial German/Nazi hybrid.

It manages everything through viceroyalties ala Rome.

Its military is very much a Prussian aristocratic elite officer system.

It is corporatist ala Imperial Ger and Nazi Ger.

It is a military state where the economy is mobilized to support the military

Its internal politics are dominated by oligarchs ala Rome.

It very much is a peak fascist state but to call the Emperor a monarch would imply a system that the Empire does not mirror

Similarly, the Augustine and Caesarean titles (and later the crown and purple of the Basileus) were only loosely hereditary. The Imperial Roman/Byzantine system resembled some of the features we see in the Republic/Rebel Alliance - a Senate doesn't imply universal suffrage or even liberal-democracy. The Emperors were often elected, or enthroned by military acclamation, oligarchic coup, or the political main force of the Church. Senators and regional officials were sometimes appointed, sometimes inherited their titles, and sometimes a bit of both (appointed as a fait accompli where local family power outweighed distant Imperial authority). These lesser powers often resisted centralization and the local citizenry sometimes fought to defend their local potentates, irrespective of democracy.

By the way, Cnut, Imperial Japan had a senate, as well. It was generally both an authoritarian dictatorship and a monarchy, though the Emperor was never himself the de facto dictator (in line with Lucas's original conception of Palpy as a puppet of his advisors and wealthy supporters).

Scratch a liberal, and find a closet aristocrat - Frank Herbert, who had something of an influence on Star Wars. stuff like this exists right now in the semi mainstream.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Where the gently caress are you getting the race stuff from. The quote is so incredibly innocuous.

The quote itself fine. I just have little faith in fanboys not acting terrible and petty over harmless things.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not that it really matters based on how it all ended up, but that anti-Boyega sentiment was started by 4chan as an intentional way of riling people up via Twitter. Unfortunately, it also picked up a lot of steam from racist people who were not trolling, exposing a whole lot of real ugliness within the fanbase and being latched onto by the alt-right.

Even if that particular quote wasn't racist, just the tone and entitlement goes so hand in hand with the same sort of complaints that are constantly brought up by the anti-"PC" crowd every time Idris Elba is cast in Thor or two Star Wars movies in a row have female leads.

Serf
May 5, 2011

There is no difference between racism as a form of trolling and actual racism.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

In The Force Awakens, the number of white men taking part in the assault has been reduced to at least two, down from 100% in Star Wars. The assault on the Starkiller Base is led by a hispanic man, and the pilots include two aliens, an asian woman, a black man...

But the idea that this is anything less than an unambiguously good thing is ludicrous. Everyone should have someone they can project onto on screen during cool escapist parts in films.
If people were more comfortable projecting themselves on to characters who act as they would like to see themselves acting, rather than looking the way they look, we'd be even better off.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
All the news about the Han Solo prequel have taken my interest from neutral to very excited. I dont understand how anyone could look at the talent being assembled and think it is going to be bad because it wont be exactly like anh or whatever

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Jerkface posted:

All the news about the Han Solo prequel have taken my interest from neutral to very excited. I dont understand how anyone could look at the talent being assembled and think it is going to be bad because it wont be exactly like anh or whatever

+1. It all seems rad.

I think a lot of people are still protective of the fandom crowdsourced idea of a Ewen McGregor Obi Wan western on Tatooine so are cagey on the Han Solo prequel.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
there is no one talking bad about the han solo movie or the racism that may be in it except in this thread. Like, someone posted a quote, then someone extrapolated people maybe having a race issue with it, then there were like 7 posters talking about racism about it when there was none to begin with! Some of you get a ball and just like to keep rolling it.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Star Wars is truly the Ship of Theseus

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

there is no one talking bad about the han solo movie or the racism that may be in it except in this thread. Like, someone posted a quote, then someone extrapolated people maybe having a race issue with it, then there were like 7 posters talking about racism about it when there was none to begin with! Some of you get a ball and just like to keep rolling it.

Methinks these posters doth protest too much.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Sorry, meesa thinks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jerkface posted:

It's in the same boat as Blade Runner 2049 as far as I'm concerned. Way too much talent on board a terrible idea that I'm beyond excited for despite knowing better.

That's also one that people are particularly skeptical of.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

homullus posted:

If people were more comfortable projecting themselves on to characters who act as they would like to see themselves acting, rather than looking the way they look, we'd be even better off.

No argument here, I agree completely with the intended message. I quite enjoy protagonists who aren't like me at all.

But, if we use that logic to say that everyone who isn't a white guy should be comfortable projecting onto a white guy to the exclusion of all else, well... :smith:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

No argument here, I agree completely with the intended message. I quite enjoy protagonists who aren't like me at all.

But, if we use that logic to say that everyone who isn't a white guy should be comfortable projecting onto a white guy to the exclusion of all else, well... :smith:

Definitely. The problem is the racism in the industry and the audience.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Im just worried the new actors won't pull off their characters

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Phi230 posted:

Im just worried the new actors won't pull off their characters

It's not like the old ones did

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ueah but they were new and the sequels gave time for the actors to fit the characters and the characters to fit the actors.

In a one shot spinoff its one and done. Any mistake can't be fixed.

You also have new actors filling the shoes of characters who are cultural icons and were played by legends like Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams.

Will Gambino be as good as Lando as Billy? Maybe, maybe not.

Will that white guy be as good as Han as Ford? Maybe, maybe not.

They all have tremendous shoes to fill. These characters are all defined very much the actors that played them.

I associate Han with Ford and Lando with Williams.

Honestly I think Glover will have a hard time being as cool as Williams

Its like trying to make a predator movie without Carl Weathers or Arnold or The Goddamed Sexual Tyrannosaurus

A Die Hard movie without Reginald VelJohnson and Bruce Willis.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 3, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man, now that I think about it there's going to be a lot of new Star Wars prequels in the coming years. So many opportunities to infect the memory of the OT.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can you just blow it out your rear end its getting old

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Can you just blow it out your rear end its getting old

I know, sorry. I'm just bored at work

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I know, sorry. I'm just bored at work

Haha. Why are you sorry? He's the dumb poo poo that said the dumb thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

UmOk posted:

Eh, I'm starting to feel like a bully, just needling him for my own entertainment.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

What I said wasn't dumb and you're an rear end in a top hat too

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Phi230 posted:

What I said wasn't dumb and you're an rear end in a top hat too

You said prequels are bad because they retroactively change other movies. Then you go on about how excited you are for the new prequel(s).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I still love the notion that if a sequel reveals new information about a movie, it's fine. But if a prequel does it...it's horrible thought crime

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

jivjov posted:

I still love the notion that if a sequel reveals new information about a movie, it's fine. But if a prequel does it...it's horrible thought crime

You need to be careful jivjov. Some sequels take place before the original.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
These are basically EU movies I know they are canon but they are not episodes.

I also think Tezz meant the prequels that we got were bad and changed things badly and they are hoping these movies are good and either make no changes or make good changes.

The prequels are bad to tezz and nothing you can say will change that. The same rules don't apply to things that aren't the prequels because he has already decided the prequels are bad, other things that aren't the prequels can be good by simply not being the prequels.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Honestly I think Glover will have a hard time being as cool as Williams

You may be pleasantly surprised at how great of an actor Donald Glover is, there really wasn't a better choice for the role.

Serf
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

It's not the fact that it is a prequel that gets Tezzor in a tizzy. It's who made the prequel.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Filthy Casual posted:

You may be pleasantly surprised at how great of an actor Donald Glover is, there really wasn't a better choice for the role.

Well I just haven't seen him enough. The only movies I've seen him in were Magic Mike 2 which he was good, and The Martian where he was good. But neither were 'rogue with heart of gold' like Lando so its not that I'm saying he will bad, but I just don't know how he will do.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Watch Atlanta dude it's great especially the pilot.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Well I just haven't seen him enough. The only movies I've seen him in were Magic Mike 2 which he was good, and The Martian where he was good. But neither were 'rogue with heart of gold' like Lando so its not that I'm saying he will bad, but I just don't know how he will do.

Rogue with a heart of gold? Isn't this the guy that sold out his friends for monetary gain?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

UmOk posted:

Rogue with a heart of gold? Isn't this the guy that sold out his friends for monetary gain?
Monetary gain of not being oppressed by the Empire and trying to cut a side deal to have them spared.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

The power dynamic was off. If Lando didn't accept the deal he would be dead and his operation shut down and his people oppressed.

Notice how he also staged a rebellion against the Empire like 15 minutes after what you're talking about, to save his friends.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Phi230 posted:

The power dynamic was off. If Lando didn't accept the deal he would be dead and his operation shut down and his people oppressed.

Notice how he also staged a rebellion against the Empire like 15 minutes after what you're talking about, to save his friends.

Pretty sure he only rebelled after the deal was altered. Before that he was perfectly willing to screw over his friends in order to cling to the free market. This sounds familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lando then made amends by helping to track down Han and he went undercover at Jabba's Palace to rescue him. He's cool with me.

• Locked thread