Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

bawfuls posted:

c'mon it's supposed to be you vets of this thread laughing at these polls and reassuring us newbies that we should BUY BUY BUY everything at a discount this week!

edit: like why does this = sweat it out?
https://twitter.com/JeffersonObama/status/793527485631598593

Or are you all in on higher EV counts and states like FL, OH, NC, NV where there's less certainty than the overall result?

I'm not sweating national EV results. I stand to lose a lot in Florida and North Carolina at this point, however.

(Also, national polls don't matter nearly as much as state polls, and the latter have been much dicier as of late.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ah yeah that makes more sense. I am lightly in on FL and that doesn't feel safe at all right now.

edit: I did bail out of the 370.REPPREZ16 NO at a push to free up cash for other things, but right now there is nothing priced as good as PenceNO ~64 that I have as much confidence in. Even NV, which feels like the biggest lock of the so-called swing states is like 67 now.

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 00:13 on Nov 2, 2016

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm not sweating national EV results. I stand to lose a lot in Florida and North Carolina at this point, however.

Yup, same. Half thinking of dumping at a loss right now, and trying to buy back when returns come in to just make up for the initial losses.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

huge pile of hamburger posted:

Yup, same. Half thinking of dumping at a loss right now, and trying to buy back when returns come in to just make up for the initial losses.

We should know where things really stand by Sunday night/Monday morning, when we'll have most of the early voting information.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I'm really glad I just went whole hog on Hillary winning (Female Pres, Kaine VP YES, etc) rather than state level poo poo. Hillary winning is the only consistent thing about this election that doesn't have me constantly freaking out about.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
i'm pretty much in most of the hillary wins markets, woman, prez party, vp, and then i have most of the rest in florida, with a bit in long-shot poo poo like texas and indiana. i got them in tiers in my spreadsheet: safe, safe?, lol no. just safe makes me get a tiny bit of profit (really just hedge losses), florida (safe + safe?) gets me nice profits, and "lol no" (texas 370+ indiana) gets me like thousands of dollars of profits. this is fun! woooo!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fidel Castronaut posted:

i'm pretty much in most of the hillary wins markets, woman, prez party, vp, and then i have most of the rest in florida, with a bit in long-shot poo poo like texas and indiana. i got them in tiers in my spreadsheet: safe, safe?, lol no. just safe makes me get a tiny bit of profit (really just hedge losses), florida (safe + safe?) gets me nice profits, and "lol no" (texas 370+ indiana) gets me like thousands of dollars of profits. this is fun! woooo!

Pretty much same, but my reach states are Arizona (still a 50/50 state IMO, especially given that latino turnout is STRONG this year) and Georgia (not feeling so good about Georgia, but it was cheap).

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

yeah, arizona is probably a better reach state. regrets!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I pulled out of Florida and as a result I guess I will just lose some of my profit from safe presidential ones.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

e: ignore me i am dumb

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

man my no investment in republican pres 370+ evs just feels better and better every day, gently caress state level markets

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I moved my State bets to Pence No. Pence No is now .63

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

michigan hit 64 cents. i am a broken man.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
lmao "wisdom of the crowds"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“No one in this world, so far as I know—and I have researched the records for years, and employed agents to help me—has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.”

—H. L. Mencken

But beware:

“Markets can remain irrational a lot longer than you and I can remain solvent.”

—John Maynard Keynes

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Platystemon posted:

“Markets can remain irrational a lot longer than you and I can remain solvent.”

—John Maynard Keynes

Fortunately for us all markets in this scenario have a predetermined expiration date :haw:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Necc0 posted:

Fortunately for us all markets in this scenario have a predetermined expiration date :haw:

Yeah, like if people are really shook, just log out and come back on November 9th. This is one of the things that makes this kind of market great; whereas an undiscovered gem in the stock market (or vastly overpriced turd) can stay that way for years, whether you're right or wrong here will with 99% certainty be decided in roughly seven days.

I'll probably still be dumping cash into state races for the next 2-3 days if they stay like this.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Of course like an hour after I bail on FL with a small loss to get in on the pence no action a C+8 poll comes out

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

nachos posted:

Of course like an hour after I bail on FL with a small loss to get in on the pence no action a C+8 poll comes out

It's an outlier. Florida is going to be close

LinYutang has issued a correction as of 04:05 on Nov 2, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LinYutang posted:

The pumping is coming from inside the thread!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

LinYutang posted:

I think Hillary is more likely than not to win Florida and should establish a substantial early voting lead this weekend. That's really all I've got at the moment, though--it certainly will be close.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/gary-johnsons-vp-on-msnbc-im-here-vouching-for-mrs-clinton-high-time-someone-did/

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/3911/Will-Bill-Weld-endorse-Hillary-Clinton-before-Election-Day

Any idea how this will resolve?

(Probably no, but "vouch" standing in for "endorse" is getting very close.)

P1h3r1e3d13
Mar 11, 2016

Rules (my bold):

quote:

... an affirmative use of some form of the word "endorse" and/or convey a decision made by Mr. Weld's to vote for or otherwise support Clinton's candidacy for president ...

That seems to be the relevant phrase, but I can't imagine PI intended that to catch candidates saying anything nice about each other (as remote a possibility as that seems). I'm snapping up cheap noes, in case you disagree.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

On or before November 7, 2016, former Massachusetts governor Bill Weld shall publicly declare his endorsement of Hillary Clinton's candidacy for president in the 2016 general election. A qualifying announcement may be made verbally or in writing by Mr. Weld or an authorized representative thereof, and may either include an affirmative use of some form of the word "endorse" and/or convey a decision made by Mr. Weld's to vote for or otherwise support Clinton's candidacy for president. Once it is determined that a qualifying announcement has been made, any subsequent withdrawal thereof shall have no effect on the resolution of this market. Mr. Weld need not withdraw from the Libertarian ticket, nor suspend his own candidacy for vice president for this market to resolve as Yes.

Emphasis mine.

My opinion is that he did indeed “otherwise support Clinton's candidacy for president”.

That phrase shouldn’t be in the rules if statements like that don’t count, especially considering the presence of the “no takesies‐backsies” and “no need to withdraw” clauses.

If “I vouch for her” doesn’t count, what would? That is, aside from the forms of the word “endorse”, which are explicitly sufficient but not necessary.

I wouldn’t buy it at 99¢, but I think it should be trading higher than 40¢.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 08:53 on Nov 2, 2016

P1h3r1e3d13
Mar 11, 2016
I just love when we end up betting on PI's interpretations of their rules, instead of actual events.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Emphasis mine.

My opinion is that he did indeed “otherwise support Clinton's candidacy for president”.

That phrase shouldn’t be in the rules if statements like that don’t count, especially considering the presence of the “no takesies‐backsies” and “no need to withdraw” clauses.

If “I vouch for her” doesn’t count, what would? That is, aside from the forms of the word “endorse”, which are explicitly sufficient but not necessary.

I wouldn’t buy it at 99¢, but I think it should be trading higher than 40¢.

He's "otherwise supported Clinton's candidacy" several times now.

If you want in I would put in an order at 25c or so, lots of people are still convinced it can't/won't happen.

I won't be touching it myself, in part because all of my funds are tied up in huge, underwater Clinton bets and also because the likely result appears truly ambiguous to me.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

John McCain had to defend Obama against being called an Arab, even clarifying that he was a "a decent person and a person you don’t have to be scared of as president of the United States," and I wouldn't consider that to meet the threshold of being an endorsement.

The Bill Weld quote is the same thing, vouching that Clinton is not a personification of evil. That market will not resolve to 'YES' unless he flat-out says he is going to vote for Clinton, or that others should vote for her. I just bought up a bunch of 'NO' shares for .75, and I expect the market to settle back down in the next 24 hours letting me make some quick profit.

Edit: Or, since its such a low-volume market, I'll likely have to hold on to the shares until Nov. 8th, but its still a better value than most state markets at the moment.

Discospawn has issued a correction as of 12:16 on Nov 2, 2016

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
i might need to deposit more, how is PENCE.USVP16 still so high :stare:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Series DD Funding posted:

i might need to deposit more, how is PENCE.USVP16 still so high :stare:

lmfao I'm glad I waited. Yeah I think I'm gonna take a second plunge as well. Christ

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug
I took it as Weld vouching for her as a person, not a candidate. Happy to ride the NO flip and get out this morning just to be safe, though.

How do we feel about the Comey resignation market? I know these "will X do Y in 2016" ones rarely pan out, but I feel like he's definitely toast post-Election Day. He's taking hits from all sides.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Just maxxed the VP market. To be honest I feel like it'll probably push even lower but I felt now's a good time to buy anyways. .64 is straight-up theft

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/793682522991308800

My understanding is that a 60k firewall is basically game over and the next 3 days should be strong days for dems. NV still priced around .69 right now for dem yes/rep no

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Raivin posted:

How do we feel about the Comey resignation market? I know these "will X do Y in 2016" ones rarely pan out, but I feel like he's definitely toast post-Election Day. He's taking hits from all sides.

It's an incredibly low-volume market right now, so it's probably not worth worrying about until after November 8th when people start looking for non-election markets to put money into.

Personally, I don't know how relevant he'll be after the election unless Trump somehow wins (in which case, his resignation is the least of anybody's concerns).

Edit: Here's the response for the Bill Weld market from earlier:

Discospawn has issued a correction as of 17:15 on Nov 2, 2016

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Nevada is now down to .62 because of that new CNN poll

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I've yet to see GOP.NV.USPREZ16 NO priced lower than PENCE.USVP16 NO

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Looks like the tide finally broke in the VP market and is slowly retreating.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Necc0 posted:

Looks like the tide finally broke in the VP market and is slowly retreating.

In it to win it with another $200 @ .66 per share. $300 total into Hilldawg beating Trump now. Wish I had more to play with but since technically I could lose it all I'm playing with cash I won't cry over.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I think given the ridiculousness of this election season, its gonna be a tie. We need a market for that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Trump has been spending way too much time in NH exactly because he desperately hopes for this map but it ain't gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Baddog posted:

I think given the ridiculousness of this election season, its gonna be a tie. We need a market for that.

There is a market for that. Buy NO on both sides.

• Locked thread