Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Gunder posted:

Trump having the launch codes is a concern we all share.

also this unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Stereotype posted:

Though interestingly only his friend broke the law.

Huh? They both did. I mean, to the extent the US could get it to apply:

quote:

It shall be unlawful for - (1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make - (A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Koalas March posted:

I'm so loving pissed. Anyone who posted in the last thread admitting to donating money should get probated until the election. you literally helped to fun the disenfranchisement of black voters. And yall better not come up in here and start bitching about black turn out, you sanctimonious fucks

AND ON TOP OF IT, I got probated for telling those pricks to gently caress off because this is exactly what was going to happen.

gently caress all of you

Unless they used the money it wasn't used to disenfranchise them. Still was a loving stupid thing to do given that the NC GOP party is notoriously bigoted by even the party's standards though.

At least the PR benefit of "Dem gives money to GOP group that suffered an attack; GOP group turns around and acts like an utter bastard in the wake of it" is still pretty godawful though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gunder posted:

Trump having the launch codes is a concern we all share.

Much as I abhor the very idea of that gross Yam Golem having possession of the Nuclear Football, checks and balances in the White House alone would put paid to using it

r-right? someone educate/reassure me here

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/793962615361957889

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Much as I abhor the very idea of that gross Yam Golem having possession of the Nuclear Football, checks and balances in the White House alone would put paid to using it

Nah, the president says something gets nuked and it gets nuked. We will literally face a fiery death of radiation if Trump is elected. Like Trump would ever have someone with a conscious between him and the launching.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Nope. The whole system is predicated on the president not being a petulant child.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ciaphas posted:

There are very little checks and balances on the President just deciding to nuke some people. I believe that, as long as he can clearly identify himself, one of the people in the chain would have to refuse to do their duty. There was a terrifying article linked in one of the previous 3,000 pages.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

There was a post about it in the last thread, but no, there is no check on the president's power to launch nukes if he can't be talked out of it

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Ciaphas posted:

Not really barring, basically, a Secret Service coup.

Edited: beaten like a dead horse in USPol.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

eviltastic posted:

eviltastic posted:

Oh huh I missed the indirect part of that whoops. There's another part where you can't help a foreign national give to a political party.

Though with our current FEC he could probably just say he was paying his friend for his friendship and the simultaneous political contribution was just a coincidence.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

uh holy poo poo i thought secdef or the VP or someone else had to be in on it

what the gently caress

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

like seriously i need some anti-anxiety meds right freaking now

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

There are very little checks and balances on the President just deciding to nuke some people. I believe that, as long as he can clearly identify himself, one of the people in the chain would have to refuse to do their duty. There was a terrifying article linked in one of the previous 3,000 pages.
Nixon reportedly would get drunk and call for stuff to be nuked, but IDK how confirmed that is.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So Trump fans scared off that woman making rape allegations against him? Did anything more happen with that?

Piles of puke

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

All Trump has to do to get my vote is prove he has caused people to bully Frank Luntz.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Anyone else feel super sad that trumps assault accuser decided to not come forward because of death threats?

Not in a "I'm sad that there was a missed opportunity to slam trump" way but more in a "I'm disgusted by the human race and how people are behaving this election cycle" kind of way

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've been getting calls lately from California numbers that is a robocall entirely in Spanish presumably talking about the election (I heard 'eleccion' a lot). Dem GOTV effort? I don't live in CA anymore but I do have a CA cell number though I dunno why they think I speak Spanish.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

like seriously i need some anti-anxiety meds right freaking now

On the bright side if the nuke goes off near you the death will be painless.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

mcmagic posted:

He has to resign. I don't even think she can fire him since he's on a 10 year term and it would look personal even though everyone knows he should be fired.

It'll depend. The DoJ or Congress can ask the POTUS for revoke his assignment.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If Trump were to win, he would be the first president to win the presidency without winning his home state in how long?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nixon reportedly would get drunk and call for stuff to be nuked, but IDK how confirmed that is.

Likewise I imagine there were some tacit understandings among top brass near the end of the Reagan presidency.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Stereotype posted:

i work like ten miles from nellis air force base I am not happy over this revelation right now

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

GalacticAcid posted:

Not really barring, basically, a Secret Service coup.

which I think is not unrealistic if the President is a complete mongoloid

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Edible Hat posted:

If Trump were to win, he would be the first president to win the presidency without winning his home state in how long?

edit: I'm dumb

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

If you call Massachusetts Romney's home state, then 4 years

How could I forget about President Romney? :)

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Didn't Nixon's senior staff instruct people to phone them first if the president tried to make any crazy late night phone calls to the joint chiefs? I thought he would regularly threaten to use the nukes and then storm out of the room during heated discussions with his own staff. Think it may have been Christopher Hitchens that once related that story, but might be wrong.

I vaguely remember the semi-quote being: "I can give the word and 15 minutes later X million people will be dead!", or something to that effect.

Edit: beaten to the reference!

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

i work like ten miles from nellis air force base I am not happy over this revelation right now

The Boomers are pretty cool though, it wouldn't be all bad

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Yaws posted:

I've always found it fascinating the amount of interest our elections get outside the US. Is it because the amount of power the US has or are our elections just more interesting?

Some of us have to pay US income taxes and don't get to vote. It will be aggravating to have to help fund this country's slide into facism without even getting a say.

Also US elections take way too long. Canada started and finished a federal election and the UK worked through a bloody leadership battle in just a couple of news cycles.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Edible Hat posted:

Gore lost Tennessee.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That's not how VIP movement works in regards to shutting down airspace.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Stereotype posted:

That's not at all true.

Link is to John Hersey's seminal reporting on the aftermath of Hiroshima.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

This:

https://twitter.com/DrDavidDuke/status/793947399605493760

was posted after this:

https://twitter.com/DrDavidDuke/status/793872462429560832

He's in the loving Senate debate RIGHT NOW.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Stereotype posted:

I don't think you intended for this to be a pun, but in case you did, you're good people.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Gunder posted:

Didn't Nixon's senior staff instruct people to phone them first if the president tried to make any crazy late night phone calls to the joint chiefs? I thought he would regularly threaten to use the nukes and then storm out of the room during heated discussions with his own staff. Think it may have been Christopher Hitchens that once related that story, but might be wrong.

I vaguely remember the semi-quote being: "I can give the word and 15 minutes later X million people will be dead!", or something to that effect.

I believe the story was that Kissinger told them to consult him first, but Kissinger may have just wanted to make sure it was a 3rd world country being bombed.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Edible Hat posted:

Brief look at Wikipedia tells me Nixon, 1968, because he had moved to New York to practice law. He later re-established residency in California.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was told that nobody shows up to these rallies.

I spent an hour and a half trying to get into a parking garage that was already full.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

El Pollo Blanco posted:

You people really know how to put on a spectacle, I'm pretty sure that's 90% of it. I find UK pol to be more interesting personally, but US elections just have so much drama.

To be fair, the spectacle in THIS election is incredibly loving absurd. I've been interested in presidential elections for almost 30 years, and the 2nd-biggest spectacle in that time frame looks quaint now. We're never going to have another one like this, or God at least I hope not.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Edible Hat posted:

If anyone cares about the answer to this bit of trivia, it was one hundred years ago when Wilson lost New Jersey despite being reelected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Edible Hat posted:

George W Bush lost Connecticut twice :v:

• Locked thread