Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Sweden is miserable. It's really, really pretty, but just not fun. I wouldn't sweat spending too much time on it. It's like the opposite of bumper bowling

Sweden in a RWD car is pure :snoop:

It's cool for what it is but definitely the hardest thing in the game. Basically the exact opposite of Germany corner to corner racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Germany is more annoying than Sweden. At least if I catch and edge in Sweden I can usually just turn it into a pirouette and keep going. Snag one of those loving German nazi-rocks and you come to a dead stop, get a radiator light and need to shift into reverse and back up a ways to get enough of a radius to turn past it.

gently caress Germany.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Germany is terrible because it's nothing but flat roads and 90 degree turns. I quickly got sick of each stage there.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Laserface posted:

Germany is more annoying than Sweden. At least if I catch and edge in Sweden I can usually just turn it into a pirouette and keep going. Snag one of those loving German nazi-rocks and you come to a dead stop, get a radiator light and need to shift into reverse and back up a ways to get enough of a radius to turn past it.

gently caress Germany.

Wow, my experiences have been the exact opposite of that. I've only been able to successfully flick my car around in Sweden once or twice, after hitting a snow bank. Every other time the moment I hit a snow bank it's like I'm in a pinball machine; just rebounding all over the place, no matter what I do.
However I've never really had any issues driving in Germany (aka. my third favourite place to drive in DiRT. What can I say, I just love cruising around in Greece and Wales), since I've found that the rocks/bollards/whatever are always a reasonable distance from the road. I've only had one collision with one of those rocks, which was caused by me hitting a large ditch, bouncing back onto the road (but not being able to recover in time) and then hitting the rock side-on, putting a nice dent in my door - but only slowing me down by a second. :shrug:

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
My feelings/experiences pretty closely match Major Isoor, Germany (and to a lesser extent Monte Carlo) are not huge pains in the asses for me but Sweden wrecks me. I'll try to do what was suggested and keep my car out of the high-rev power band, maybe that'll help.

Sweden is just no fun, it seems like I'm always crawling along at 10 kph and barely keeping the car in control. :smith:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Monte Carlo is always my enemy. The narrow roads coupled with changes from tarmac to ice always mess me up. Sweden can be painful but when you get in a groove it's actually pretty nice. Germany is far from ideal but I have no issue with it.

Finland is easily the best, Wales is a pretty close second, and probably Greece at third. Can never get enough gravel.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I always gain like 10-15 seconds on the icy parts of Monte Carlo but lose it on the tarmac :(

usually cos I clip a car or manage to get the corner of the car in the tiny rear end gaps in the brick fencing.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Laserface posted:

I always gain like 10-15 seconds on the icy parts of Monte Carlo but lose it on the tarmac :(

usually cos I clip a car or manage to get the corner of the car in the tiny rear end gaps in the brick fencing.

Yeah, the ice parts aren't too bad. For me it's just the segments where the road (/patches of the road) is constantly changing between ice and tarmac. It really throws me off - I'd rather someone just went around pouring a few buckets of water on the road the night before, so the road is at least consistently frozen-over.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009
Are we ranking regions?

FWIW I used to hate Monte before VR, now it's much easier to place the car where I want.

I'm fastest at Greece but I think I like Wales more.
Next would be the giant-jump parts of Finland (seriously having to just got wot and pray the physics don't gently caress your landing up without any recourse to get records is annoying af).
Then Sweden. Gitting gud at not hitting the sides was the fun kind of challenging after how forgiving Greece is with intentionally understeering through apexes with the nose of the car deep in the bushes
Then Monte It used to be last place for me before VR, see.
Then Germany. Ditto what Coja said.
Then the jumpy parts of Finland. Because getting a good time feels entirely too much like luck with the older cars, which is all I drive.

For a game called Dirt Rally there's far too much pavement imo. Doesn't feel half as good as other tarmac games and grip can be so unpredictable compared to loose surfaces.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I try to cope with Sweden by keeping the front inside wheel in the slush on the inside of the turn but it's the straights where I am catching edges.

Favourite is probably Greece or wales excluding the bits where it's an open field with no really discerning features of when turns are gonna come up.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Laserface posted:

I try to cope with Sweden by keeping the front inside wheel in the slush on the inside of the turn

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I must be some kind of hipster. I probably have Monte Carlo as my favorite followed by Sweden. Wales is easily my least favorite rally, except maybe Germany if i'm in one of the FWD cars. Feels like way too many bullshit ruts and bumps you have to memorize to be competitive.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dirt-3-complete-edition-free-game

Dirt 3 Complete Edition is free on Steam for about the next 2 days, if you don't already have it.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bentai posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dirt-3-complete-edition-free-game

Dirt 3 Complete Edition is free on Steam for about the next 2 days, if you don't already have it.

was just about to post this here, well done

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Once it really started clicking for me, that you can set yourself up to abuse the camber of the environment to manipulate the weight/motion of the car, Wales became one of my favorites.

Try to force yourself to accept camber as an advantage to be leveraged, a "force multiplier" if you would, instead of some sort of speed bump or obstacle to merely mitigate.

If you have the heart for it, force yourself to race the same track 5+ times (preferably something short so you don't hate yourself) without spinning out, crashing, or recovering the car. Just rest immediately and start over if you do. it's not so much that you need to memorize the specifics of every track, moreso it's to "train your eyes" so that you know where to anticipate to look to see the opportunities.

:argh: gotta catch Wander

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The woody parts of wales are easy. Just keep a front wheel in the gutter of the turn and you'll follow it around perfectly.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The woody parts of Wales are amazing, like a rollercoaster or something.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dirt 3 owned.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Once it really started clicking for me, that you can set yourself up to abuse the camber of the environment to manipulate the weight/motion of the car, Wales became one of my favorites.

Try to force yourself to accept camber as an advantage to be leveraged, a "force multiplier" if you would, instead of some sort of speed bump or obstacle to merely mitigate.

If you have the heart for it, force yourself to race the same track 5+ times (preferably something short so you don't hate yourself) without spinning out, crashing, or recovering the car. Just rest immediately and start over if you do. it's not so much that you need to memorize the specifics of every track, moreso it's to "train your eyes" so that you know where to anticipate to look to see the opportunities.

It not like I cant drive Wales at all. I've won Master level rallies in both Group B and 2010s there. I just don't like it much, and i cant seem to do as well there as in other rallies on the online leaderboards. Looking at replays, a lot of it seems to be that i'm not cutting anywhere near as aggressive as the fastest drivers. Take this corner on Geufron forest. Its a 4 left over crest. That would to me mean treat it as roughly a 3 left if i just had the pace notes. That this guy is taking flat in 6th by cutting it in a very specific way. If i'm taking that corner aggressive i usually crash and im probably loosing a second on that corner alone. I could probably rerun this stage over and over till i learn exactly how to do that corner, but that's not really the spirit of rallying to me. Conversely, there are very few places where you can cut this aggressively in Sweden or Monte Carlo, which is part of the reason why i like those better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GKjFwxMeKk&t=51s

Humbug fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 11, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Does Dirt3 really offer anything that I don't already have in Dirt Rally?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Ice racing.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Gymkhana !!!!! (it's lame)

The rest of Dirt 3 is a very fun arcadey rally racer though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dirt 3 was really fun until I couldn't progress anymore because I couldn't beat some stupid Gymkhana challenge. Dirt 3 is ok but Dirt Rally is miles better.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Cojawfee posted:

Dirt 3 was really fun until I couldn't progress anymore because I couldn't beat some stupid Gymkhana challenge. Dirt 3 is ok but Dirt Rally is miles better.

Dirt 3 has multiplayer rally tracks :colbert:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dirt 3 had some great stages and the Rallycross was really good.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Driving the Stratos in Greece is a hoot. I'm not putting down competitive leaderboard times or anything, but I am completely sideways the entire time, which matters more than "winning".

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

I'm Crap posted:

Driving the Stratos in Greece is a hoot. I'm not putting down competitive leaderboard times or anything, but I am completely sideways the entire time, which matters more than "winning".

Driving it in Sweden however is loving stupid and I did anyways because I'm stupid. gently caress sweden.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I just bought this last night. Is there a known fix for serious FPS issues?

I've been topping out at around 25 FPS. It's definitely not my machine since I can play GTAV on pretty high settings.
The slowdown also doesn't appear to be affected by ANY of the graphics settings. I turned everything as low as it goes, and even turned the resolution down to 1024x768, still 25 FPS.

Definitely not normal for a rig with an i7 6800k, 32GB RAM, and a GTX 1070. I've been really craving a good racing game and don't want to have to do a refund. :(

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Idiootti posted:

Driving it in Sweden however is loving stupid and I did anyways because I'm stupid. gently caress sweden.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

xergm posted:

I just bought this last night. Is there a known fix for serious FPS issues?

I've been topping out at around 25 FPS. It's definitely not my machine since I can play GTAV on pretty high settings.
The slowdown also doesn't appear to be affected by ANY of the graphics settings. I turned everything as low as it goes, and even turned the resolution down to 1024x768, still 25 FPS.

Definitely not normal for a rig with an i7 6800k, 32GB RAM, and a GTX 1070. I've been really craving a good racing game and don't want to have to do a refund. :(

I had mysterious FPS issues at first that were partly cured by a reboot, partly by turning off Advanced Blending (or Enhanced Blending, I forget which it's called) and turning the anti-aliasing to CSAA.

I have similar rig to yours with an older video card (GTX 960) and I had the same inexplicable slideshow at first, now it runs like a dream at solid 60fps with everything turned to high except the two settings above. Sorry I don't have a better fix but with hope it will sort itself out.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Thanks! A reboot seems to have fixed it! :iiam:

Now I can stop blaming choppiness for my inability to keep the car on the course!

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
gently caress piss pig poo poo Wales, I'm so bad at it and everyone else is apparently so good. I'm honestly at the point of thinking that my game files must be corrupted and there's a line somewhere that says "surfaceFriction = 0;", because that's the only way I can explain it. I can't get any grip, AT ALL, in any car, at any point anywhere in the stages, with any technique or at any speed. It's worse than loving Sweden, but everyone else apparently can just careen through it bouncing off the rev limiter in fourth.

I'm Crap fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 17, 2016

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

This game is good

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

ethanol posted:

This game is good

It sure is. I have only clocked maybe 10 hours in it since I bought it, but that's mostly due to work. I recently moved into a new place and got all new furniture, including a 65 inch TV + sound system. Playing this just became a whole lot more fun!

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Todays daily is hilarious. Lancia 037 on a long Monaco stage at night in heavy snow. At least its uphill. I spun and crashed and generally drove like poo poo, but it was still good enough for 32 out of about 1200 when I finished. A whole load of DNFs and Porkhammer showing everyone hes the boss going almost 10 secs faster than anyone else.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Hey guyz, if I get a I5 6600 in a H170 socket and a gtx1060 this game will be good? I have a fx8120 and it stutters like a mofo now.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

Hey guyz, if I get a I5 6600 in a H170 socket and a gtx1060 this game will be good? I have a fx8120 and it stutters like a mofo now.

I have a five year old i7-950 and a r9 280x. The game runs perfectly at max settings for me, so you should be more than fine.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Humbug posted:

Todays daily is hilarious. Lancia 037 on a long Monaco stage at night in heavy snow. At least its uphill. I spun and crashed and generally drove like poo poo, but it was still good enough for 32 out of about 1200 when I finished. A whole load of DNFs and Porkhammer showing everyone hes the boss going almost 10 secs faster than anyone else.

That was definitely a crazy ride

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Uncle Jam posted:

There seems to be stuttering issues for some people, even with powerful rigs. Works great on my 970 and i7 at 1440/max settings, and it also ran okay on my old laptop with a HD7970M, so your spec should be plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I really wish there was a way to make the copilot shut up during replays.

• Locked thread