Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Attestant posted:

Blue Magic, and the characters that were clearly left terrible because they might get the skill school eventually. For example: Quistis, Kimahri, Quina, and also all of their weapons that have +Mag regardless of their actual casting abilities. It's seems like they've been future proofing them for blue magic from the start.

I look forward to crafting specific "container" spheres and having to go get that character hit by them in order to learn it. Also probably having to get hit by it multiple times to actually apply the hones, or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It also appears on a really solid OSBfest banner, if it isn't replaced in global!

What a gorgeous banner.

I have no idea what any of those relics are.

edit: oh wait I recognize Sun Blade and Lightbringer, that's it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

bilperkins2 posted:

https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/learn-katakana/

Aside from WoL's BSB and Ovelia's SSB, all of them are straight transliterations. Educate yo'self

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

bilperkins2 posted:

In order:

Hope OSB (1x4000 potency ST overflow holy/non magic damage)
Warrior of Light BSB (8x81 potency ST holy/non physical damage, enHoly, burst mode; 2x65 potency AOE holy/non physical damage, self DEF+50%; 1-5x48 potency ST holy/non physical damage, hits based on DEF)
Celes BSB
Firion BSB
Cid Raines SSB (5x284 potency AOE holy magical damage, imperil holy)
Gordon SSB (AOE ATK/MAG +30%, physical blink 1)
Garland SSB (4x195 potency RT dark physical damage, heals user for 50% of damage dealt)
Ovelia SSB (AOE h85 cure + magic blink 1)
Gabranth SB

It's basically the Holy banner, plus Garland and Gabranth for some reason.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/learn-katakana/

Aside from WoL's BSB and Ovelia's SSB, all of them are straight transliterations. Educate yo'self

Do not learn katakana or encourage people to learn katakana jesus christ. I learned it and I've been a self-loathing mess ever since.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Do not learn katakana or encourage people to learn katakana jesus christ. I learned it and I've been a self-loathing mess ever since.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm JLPT N4 and I have no loving clue what you're saying here

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
It's a joke. Mostly.

Real answer is I studied and can read kana and it mostly serves as a shameful reminder that I couldn't hack it and quit. It's come in handy, a little, but it's not particularly worth the effort. IMO anyway.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

I can read Katakana and Ee-Ga-Ru-Ta-Ro means nothing to me. Even if i could parse that into Eagle Talon like they meant, since that relic isn't available in Global I have no idea what it is.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

bilperkins2 posted:

I can read Katakana and Ee-Ga-Ru-Ta-Ro means nothing to me. Even if i could parse that into Eagle Talon like they meant, since that relic isn't available in Global I have no idea what it is.

It says "Eagle Claw" my dude.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

It's at the top of the banner and has a little inset that says "overflow" in katakana, and has a picture of Hope, so I figured that was pretty self explanatory if you can read it! Hell, even if not, since it's all color coded.

My mistake, I'll avoid posting japanese banner stuff in here without translations in the future.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

It's at the top of the banner and has a little inset that says "overflow" in katakana, and has a picture of Hope, so I figured that was pretty self explanatory if you can read it! Hell, even if not, since it's all color coded.

My mistake, I'll avoid posting japanese banner stuff in here without translations in the future.

Sorry I don't mean to be an rear end but for the most part, I don't think people here know the relics from Japan and while an OSB is pretty much going to be the same (do a lot of damage), the BSB's and SSB's vary wildly in effects, so an untranslated banner with no info about any of the relics is going to mean jack to most here.

Bland posted:

It says "Eagle Claw" my dude.

My katakana is super rusty also

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Or instead of carrying on about it you could just ask "hey what's that item" or y'know just read the list another poster had already helpfully provided before you started getting all "I know Japanese and it still didn't make any sense to me".

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

Zurai posted:

Or instead of carrying on about it you could just ask "hey what's that item" or y'know just read the list another poster had already helpfully provided before you started getting all "I know Japanese and it still didn't make any sense to me".

Sorry, I'm just reacting to "why don't you just learn Japanese?"

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I'm obviously not suggesting anyone learn Japanese :allears: That's a years-long endeavor. I was suggesting learning a specific character set for reading foreign words that doesn't require any study of grammar, vocab, or kanji, since that character set is disproportionately represented in video games and takes a couple afternoons max to learn if you set aside some time for it. I understand it was a smug thing to post, but "lol I don't understand any of this" on a color-coded banner with only two relics not in global on it...

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

bilperkins2 posted:

Sorry, I'm just reacting to "why don't you just learn Japanese?"

Because a lot of people don't have that kind of time and effort? :v: But in all seriousness, if you intend to go to X Country, learning to read and speak the language at minimum is a good idea.

Friggin Firepants
Jul 11, 2006

My god, these friggin firepants.

I'm... Happy with that.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
As expected, the second wave of triple broken characters arrives tomorrow. This group is all the primary female characters in games (for games like VI and XIII it becomes secondary females).

Maria is about to become even stronger :woop:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

KnoxZone posted:

As expected, the second wave of triple broken characters arrives tomorrow. This group is all the primary female characters in games (for games like VI and XIII it becomes secondary females).

Makes me sad that I've pretty much given up on the U+ for this current event. Even with decent synergy and soul breaks, I just don't feel like I have to hones to go the distance, and it doesn't help that I don't have the durations of some of these defensive effects memorized, so they end up lapsing and someone dies. Or everyone gets hit with Slowga and then get torn apart at the boss's leisure since I have no native Hastega and bringing a RW Hastega means forgoing SG/Stoneskin. And I don't have the patience to Hit and Run to build up Soul Break charges (doesn't help that one time I tried this, the boss still managed to get off a spell that left my healer near dead before I fled the fight).

What's the next event after this one? Hopefully it won't be as insanely overtuned as this one.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

W.T. Fits posted:

Makes me sad that I've pretty much given up on the U+ for this current event. Even with decent synergy and soul breaks, I just don't feel like I have to hones to go the distance, and it doesn't help that I don't have the durations of some of these defensive effects memorized, so they end up lapsing and someone dies. Or everyone gets hit with Slowga and then get torn apart at the boss's leisure since I have no native Hastega and bringing a RW Hastega means forgoing SG/Stoneskin. And I don't have the patience to Hit and Run to build up Soul Break charges (doesn't help that one time I tried this, the boss still managed to get off a spell that left my healer near dead before I fled the fight).

What's the next event after this one? Hopefully it won't be as insanely overtuned as this one.

Next event is an X event featuring Tidus's OSB, which is convenient since the U, U+, and U++ are all weak to water. Just RW his OSB and watch as like 3/4 of the health bar vanishes instantly.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I'm not sure how right this is, but in general, if Y'shtola is hasted and doing SOMETHING (even just a staff whack) every turn she gets, Stoneskin II will be up on exactly the turn it wears off, so while she's casting we'll be unprotected but otherwise it doesn't fall off.

With RW Shout, I just recast it when the boss is at half health, and if the Ramza I RWed has good MND it works fine.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Next event is an X event featuring Tidus's OSB, which is convenient since the U, U+, and U++ are all weak to water. Just RW his OSB and watch as like 3/4 of the health bar vanishes instantly.

I have Tidus's BSB, so that sounds like it should be manageable.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

W.T. Fits posted:

I have Tidus's BSB, so that sounds like it should be manageable.

Are you going to try for the OSB? Tidus is an absolute death machine with that combo. Not much resists water.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
After trying out several RW for Ahriman U+ I have to say Unsung Hero is the way to go for the CM.

The Defense boost from the entry seriously helps in tanking Maser Eye. I didn't even really come close before.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Armitage posted:

I never want to see Elder Wyrm as a greater than 50 difficulty boss ever again. I'm not gonna go back and champion that fight. gently caress that. Badly designed and overtuned too.

RW Cloud's OSB and murder the hell out of him fast.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

KnoxZone posted:

:getin:

You bet your rear end I'm gonna triple break Maria. All hail the Earth Goddess of the Apocalypse! :black101:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Inge posted:

Are you going to try for the OSB? Tidus is an absolute death machine with that combo. Not much resists water.

I'll toss an 11-pull at the banner, but I don't plan to go crazy chasing it. I've (hopefully) learned my lesson about that at this point.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Personally, I'm gonna go after it(among things) at OSBFest(why would an OSB not be at OSBfest?).

But the reason for that mostly is because that banner has the burst on it too, and I don't have either. And I'd be surprised if that doesn't stick. So if you lack that motivation, and especially if you don't have Faris BSB like I do, Overtidus is a pretty good banner I'd say.

(Full Attack Reels Assault Reels really suffers badly from being "Faris' BSB on a worse character"... though, in fairness, the actual Burst is actually somewhat better. With being randomized hits instead of single target, it'll actually fullbreakdown crowds.)

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
gently caress I wish I kept all pumpkins to make a pumpkin team

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

YoshiOfYellow posted:

:getin:

You bet your rear end I'm gonna triple break Maria. All hail the Earth Goddess of the Apocalypse! :black101:

Aaaaaaaugh. I have so many good characters to triple-break. It doesn't help I got Maria's Burst. Though, a few of these new wave Triple Break RMs are pretty situational. Her RM3 is +15% MAG with Bows. Which only really applies to her and maybe a couple others. Though others are pretty nice looking.

Rinoa RM3: +25% Black Magic Damage
Yuna RM3: +30% Summon Damage
Sarah RM3: +25% MND with Staves
Lenna RM3: +30% Healing
Celes RM3: +40%! Spellblade Damage

So...yea...I'd definitely put a few hundred Major eggs aside for some of these RM3s. Celes' is particularly :gizz: worthy. Specially with certain SBs that are CODED to be Spellblade damage. Or Tornado Strike...I still need to hone that up for Cloud. People who pulled Bartz's BSB are gonna be VERY happy with that particular RM...Like me. :getin:

Kemix fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 3, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I'm not sure how right this is, but in general, if Y'shtola is hasted and doing SOMETHING (even just a staff whack) every turn she gets, Stoneskin II will be up on exactly the turn it wears off, so while she's casting we'll be unprotected but otherwise it doesn't fall off.

With RW Shout, I just recast it when the boss is at half health, and if the Ramza I RWed has good MND it works fine.

A rough expectation is about ~6 turns under Haste for 25s, so that's about 70% of a SB bar. So you do need a bit of RNG.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

W.T. Fits posted:

Or everyone gets hit with Slowga and then get torn apart at the boss's leisure since I have no native Hastega and bringing a RW Hastega means forgoing SG/Stoneskin.

Ahriman is not overtuned. The U++ def is though.

My strategy if I were you would be to pull on any banner with a solid hastega or wall. Unless you're consistently lucky then there's a great deal of content you won't be able to handle without at least one of those two buffs native.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Orfeo posted:

We're... what, 3 weeks away from the FF3/Onion Knight event? I'm closing back in on 150 mythril and it's starting to get real heavy.

Wait, really? I didn't realize it was that close. poo poo, I guess I'll skip pulling on the Colosseum's banner 2 then (unless I pull Tidus' OSB on the dollar pull, lol yeah right), if I pull on 2 and 4 I definitely won't be able to scrounge up another 50 for a pull on Onion Knight.

KnoxZone posted:

Agrias, you're the next choice to become level 99! Nah, it'll probably be Selphie since she's my main healer.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

NaanViolence posted:

Ahriman is not overtuned. The U++ def is though.

My strategy if I were you would be to pull on any banner with a solid hastega or wall. Unless you're consistently lucky then there's a great deal of content you won't be able to handle without at least one of those two buffs native.

Sorry, I misspoke; when I said "no native Hastega" I meant no FF XII Hastega. I have hastegas from other realms, but the one time I tried running a non-FF XII team ended poorly. It was the attempt I mentioned earlier where I was trying the hit and run tactic to build soul break charges. Turns out not having realm synergy to boost my party's speed stats means Ahirman can get off an attack before all five characters can attack, and at one point Y'shtola ended up eating a Piercing Firaga to the face which dropped her to near zero before I could pause and flee.

So... yeah. gently caress this U+. There'll be other MCIIIs later on down the line.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Ahriman's on the high side for since I've started playing, and given the U++ tier, he's probably stronger than he should be, IMO-feels like you should be avoiding the 10k+ unmitigated nuclear blasts on U+, those are what U++ is for(and the upcoming 200 multiplayer fights, of course).

Having said that, I've looked up Caius/Cagnazzo's stats out of curiosity, since they're going to be in the revenge dungeon, and I preeetty well see why someone would say he's not overtuned. Caius fits right in with U++ despite being, you know, way earlier than U++ and hence before a lot of power creep/before people had chances to get good things, and Cagnazzo is frigging stupid even now, I'm going to have to build up my mage team even more and RW Dusk's Decree for that abomination. Which, of course, didn't exist as a thing-or for that matter, refreshing RWs at all-when he was around...

So yeah, there's been far, far worse. Reading about the Parade Float event was sorta amazing, honestly. That doesn't really defend Ahriman per se, though.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

You know, I was more hoping for Shield Grimoire out of that JP Keeper's choice, but I'll accept a pair of Sheep Song whips instead. And now that I realized how useful Kuja's Burst is, I'll suppose I'll grab his Gloves for good measure. I think after some EXP Eggs I'm going to be doing horrific things to the Kaiser Dragon. :getin:

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Ohhhh... I had her actually in my team and thus getting buffed by Shout. drat, I didn't think of that. I hope you were able to still beat the fight. If not, sorry I caused you to waste a bunch of stamina :(

Oh well that explains that.
I might be able to figure something out. I'll see if I can use multibreak+Shout+Sephiroth's Reunion+your RW. Might be enough to at least kill the Azers. Problem is I would need to do that all in turn one, because doing all that means no Keeper's tome or using an RW wall. Yeah this probably isn't going to work.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Quetzacotl can paralyse the Azers, if you have it, to give you some breathing room, and do OK damage. Maybe give it a shot if nothing else is successful, and just S/L until it procs on all three.

Inge fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 3, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Zebia posted:

Oh well that explains that.
I might be able to figure something out. I'll see if I can use multibreak+Shout+Sephiroth's Reunion+your RW. Might be enough to at least kill the Azers. Problem is I would need to do that all in turn one, because doing all that means no Keeper's tome or using an RW wall. Yeah this probably isn't going to work.

I ended up in the same boat and yeah it pretty much sucks. I have a native shout so I could RW a Lightning that killed the Azers in two casts, but it also did enough damage to put Mateus into his "weak mode" state where he starts double-casting ridiculous AoE spells at instant speed, so without the RWed Tyro, I just got melted anyway. And if I RW Tyro, I don't have enough damage to kill the Azers before the combined damage becomes overwhelming, because all my good BSBs and high-level characters are physical and most of them are elemental, which the Azers are immune to.

Stupidly hard Ultimate fight if you are missing a few key pieces. Last week's U++ was literally a joke by comparison.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

RW: Shout

gently caress this fight if you're trying to CM it without native Hestaga (Like I tried to do like a dozen times) for the realm. If you don't counter the Immobilizega after it happens enjoy eating a ton of attacks without being able to react quickly. Not sure if I wanna do U++ because from what I hear it gets pretty bullshit as well. God I hate FF12 as a realm, horribly designed bosses. A-Team was pretty well off, I won't lie. Too bad the fight also had it's hiccups, like Vaan getting ganged up on because I let my Wall lapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
There's really nothing what I'd call "overtuned" about Mateus. :shrug:

Mateus is pretty much just your standard multi-target Ultimate, with just the slight twist that you want to use only non-elemental or lightning damage. Usual Ultimate fight checklist applies, where you probably want Wall or Hastega native, while RWing the other. Medica is heavily recommended as per all Ultimate content. After that this fight just boils down to actually having and honing the tools needed for multi-target fights, like Dances (Heathen Frolic Sarabrande + Multi Break) or non-elemental/lightning AoE skills (Things like Bladeblitz, Yukikaze, Swift Bolt, Valefor/Maduin, Ramuh, Quetzacoatl/Ixion/Syldra, or 5* or 6* AoE, etc.)

I get that it sucks when you're new, and your hones are still being built up, and you feel like you're missing out on rewards. But Ultimates are really the endgame, and building up to being able to complete them comfortably takes a while. Currently, some lucky BSB or OSB pulls may mean that you can kinda "cheat" your way through some Ult fights, but that really is the exception rather than the norm.

Thankfully, the Orbfest in December should really help with new players to get your hones up to speed! Especially the 3* and 4* basics mentioned here are important, along with Full Break, and occasionally Multi Break.

• Locked thread