Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/793973340096430080
troublesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GI_Clutch posted:

Saw this trending on Facebook today. Apparently, if you are Catholic and want the best chance to get away with child molestation, move to Louisiana. A judge decided that priests are not mandatory reporters because confession is supposed to be kept confidential.

http://deadstate.org/louisiana-supreme-court-rules-that-priests-dont-have-to-report-evidence-of-child-abuse-to-police/

I''m honestly surprised those laws haven't been struck down on 1A grounds. I could easily see a majority doing so, even if some of the justices go with a "it's horrible poo poo but religion freedoms exist" or something like that. If it wouldn't be an 8-0 ruling I'd actually be pretty surprised. It'd be like requiring doctors or lawyers to break client privilege.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Taran posted:

It has to be nationwide, I've been seeing ads like that in Boston.

It's still probably worth it for campaigns since live sports have viewers that are unique to all other TV.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Cingulate posted:

In principle yes, though in the long run, you want somebody who is calibrated well.

Yes.

At the moment he is predicting a higher probability of winning the senate than the elections, (at least) one of those two seems not to be calibrated well.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Oh, christ. He really is crazy

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Munkeymon posted:

Why does this look painted?
You could even say it's...

...whitewashed :smug:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I''m honestly surprised those laws haven't been struck down on 1A grounds. I could easily see a majority doing so, even if some of the justices go with a "it's horrible poo poo but religion freedoms exist" or something like that. If it wouldn't be an 8-0 ruling I'd actually be pretty surprised. It'd be like requiring doctors or lawyers to break client privilege.

Doctors and lawyers are both subject to mandatory reporter laws, fyi (It gets tricky with client privilege, and can be a minefield to navigate, but they definitely are subject to them).

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

He projects so hard and so often that I'm pretty sure he has a fake birth certificate and was born in Kenya.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Saw a Trump add in Virginia on I think ESPN? Really desperate "TRUMP SAVE ECONOMY, MAKE COUNTRY STRONG" again without saying how while Hilldawg exists in some monochrome filter where she is bad because she is bad. Also see local government races fighting over obamacare. It never stops being funny watching olds bitch about this while the system as so far probably been less costly than what they have been paying before it was set up, but you know memories just get fuzzy when your president is black.

Now I don't care about sports, so maybe I just didn't see the adds we could have been getting for months, but its loving hilarious that I only see trump signs and bumper-stickers now, like loving a week away from the election and after Trump's loving abandoned this state.

Grumblegrox
May 15, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

Why does this look painted?

I agree. Maybe it's got something to do with like this.. https://www.quora.com/What-do-atheists-say-about-golden-ratio-I-have-seen-God-being-justified-by-golden-ratio

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Northjayhawk posted:

as long as he doesn't start having conversations with "Other Donny" I think we'll be fine.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

chumbler posted:

You should still feel bad for voting for either of those clowns.

Nobody's perfect. I was thinking either Alyson Kennedy or Gloria Estela La Riva.

Also thinking of writing in Rabbi Michael Lerner just because he's an advocate for basic income. Could also write in you know who :bern101:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I'm going to have legit stress runs until the race is called Tuesday night.

The prospect of raising my newborn daughter in Trump's America is goddamned terrifying.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel Clemens posted:

Sure, but with elections only happening every four years and so many factors changing in the interim, identifying the best model is no easy feat. Maybe Nate's assumptions are the most accurate ones. Or maybe Wang is right and presidential elections are actually very stable because they mostly come down to fundamentals.
To be honest, I'm not really feeling Sam Wang's model. It's possible Nate's is too pessimistic wrt. poll correlations across states, but that to me seems like a problem of wrong values. Wang is simply doing something I either don't quite get, or that is very oversimplified.

computer parts posted:

By your own admission, you don't know that it is calibrated well.
Yep. But for now we don't know if any of the models is accurate either :D

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

If there are any remaining oppo bombs expect them to drop tomorrow. Today is too early because of the World Series dominating attention. Friday is too late to capture the weekday news cycle before the election weekend. Should be fun/terrifying.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

So much discipline!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

uncertainty posted:

At the moment he is predicting a higher probability of winning the senate than the elections, (at least) one of those two seems not to be calibrated well.
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean, but calibration in this case doesn't mean "conforms to common sense", but "is right as often as it claims to be right". A model is well calibrated if 60%, not more and not less, of the predictions to which it assigns a 60% chance come true.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
For the record, and once again. PEC and Drew Linzer (now at KOS) have better track records than Nate over the last few presidential elections. They predicted the past elections with more certainty and earlier. The "errors are correlated" bit is a red herring and not the main reason the estimates differ. The main reason they differ are the adjustments made to polls by Nate. And we can't know how exactly he adjusts them because that is proprietary. Take a look at Florida. PEC and daily kos have Clinton as the favorite in Florida. Pollster's poll average shows Clinton ahead. But Nate give's Trump a 50.6%. The reason for that is because a trend line adjustment (essentially a measure of momentum) and a house adjustment gives Trump a slight edge on vote projection. Based on past elections, trend adjustments and house adjustments do not increase predictive power. They do increase volatility in predictions.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

There are no more oppo bombs. And even if there were, people are now completely desensitized and polarized to the point where there is almost nothing that would have a significant impact on Trump's final vote count. He's still going to lose, though.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Cingulate posted:

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean, but calibration in this case doesn't mean "conforms to common sense", but "is right as often as it claims to be right". A model is well calibrated if 60%, not more and not less, of the predictions to which it assigns a 60% chance come true.

Brier scores for past elections indicate that PEC and Drew Linzer (now at daily kos) have been more accurate, earlier, than Nate.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Everything I accuse my opponents of...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Northjayhawk posted:

Are, uh, are you only just now noticing?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

joepinetree posted:

For the record, and once again. PEC and Drew Linzer (now at KOS) have better track records than Nate over the last few presidential elections. They predicted the past elections with more certainty and earlier. The "errors are correlated" bit is a red herring and not the main reason the estimates differ. The main reason they differ are the adjustments made to polls by Nate. And we can't know how exactly he adjusts them because that is proprietary. Take a look at Florida. PEC and daily kos have Clinton as the favorite in Florida. Pollster's poll average shows Clinton ahead. But Nate give's Trump a 50.6%. The reason for that is because a trend line adjustment (essentially a measure of momentum) and a house adjustment gives Trump a slight edge on vote projection. Based on past elections, trend adjustments and house adjustments do not increase predictive power. They do increase volatility in predictions.
In principle yes, but 538 reports pollster adjustments make a rather small difference, but reducing the bigger differences (correlated errors, undecided voters) is a much larger difference.

And last I checked, undecideds were high.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Donald Trump has had a legitimate mental breakdown.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

joepinetree posted:

Brier scores for past elections indicate that PEC and Drew Linzer (now at daily kos) have been more accurate, earlier, than Nate.

I understand that, and I drat well hope they are in fact correct.

:derp:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Iodised QQ posted:

I got the same one on Long Island, so I think it's safe to say it's a national buy

Unless Trump has made some serious progress in New York the past couple days :tinfoil:

Taran posted:

It has to be nationwide, I've been seeing ads like that in Boston.
Makes sense. Though this:

ponzicar posted:

I'd like to think that since he's stiffing his internal pollsters, they've started to feed him hilariously wrong poll results.
Would be hilarious.

Here's a dilemma. There's I think five judges at various levels up for continuation on my ballot. Three were put there by a Republican governor last decade, so obviously I'm voting them out. The others were appointed by O'Malley, so probably lean further left, but after Freddie Gray I feel like this state's entire court system needs an overhaul, so I kinda want to vote them out as well.

Only problem is, because O'Malley thought he had a shot at President, we have a Republican governor now as well. While he's Anti-Trump, he's still an rear end in a top hat who's much, much more focused on the richer, whiter parts of the state, and I don't trust him to appoint anyone decent.

Should I stick with the status quo and hope we have a Dem governor next time the terms are up? Or put my trust in a mostly centrist, but still pretty evil, Republican?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uh, is there footage of this or something? It sounds like a parody.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Bip Roberts posted:

It's still probably worth it for campaigns since live sports have viewers that are unique to all other TV.

Seeing the ads in Washington State too. Oddly very few ads for state wide races in the past weeks. I guess because nothing huge is on the state ballot.

Although we have had Trump supporters waving signs from freeway overpasses to slow my commute. :mad:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Thanks to this thread, I am now better able to imagine, in great detail, my own death by nuclear fire via a Trump presidency.

Really helping the anxiety.

Does the opposite for me. It'd have to be something on the level of multiple MIRV strikes on Offat to kill me faster than the I-131 from the fallout plume eating my thyroid would afterwards! :gibs:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

:stare:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So, do you think the team of Special Agents who have to visit people who threaten the President/candidates are gonna get a super big Christmas bonus this year?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

How have we gotten to the point where a former Grand Wizard of the KKK can claim to be non-racist and be believed by anyone? Steve King and his ilk are horrible enough, and the Trumpstaffel are worse, but when white America becomes so blind that he could ever be seriously considered, then it's time to just burn the country down and start over.

This is the ranting of a broken man.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

let the corncobbing begin

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
I need to see this video so badly. We're so close to a full Prester Jane moment of an exhausted Trump making his final gently caress ups.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/apblake/status/793972795634020352
duke meltdown from earlier in the night.

https://twitter.com/KatzOnEarth/status/793975049405534208
who would have thought.

https://twitter.com/dcbigjohn/status/793987209892282373

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Cingulate posted:

In principle yes, but 538 reports pollster adjustments make a rather small difference, but reducing the bigger differences (correlated errors, undecided voters) is a much larger difference.

And last I checked, undecideds were high.

No, it is not a much larger difference. There is a reason why 538 was pretty much in line with everyone else when the race was stable. On October 17th, when polls were stable, Nate was at 88% hillary while PEC and Daily kos were in the mid to high 90s. That is not a big difference. The difference now in estimate is over 20%. Nate's trend adjustment alone is responsible for a 1.8% bump on Trump's expected vote total in Florida.

Again, it is demonstrably not about correlated errors or undecided voters. If you take away Nate's trendline adjustment Hillary would go back to being over 70% likely to win Florida by his own model.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

let the corncobbing begin

Begin?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Oh hey cool they're still trying to prevent college students from voting in loving North Carolina. loving amazing how they're trying to poo poo up the actually good universities they've got set up as a honeypot so suckers go there for an education and end up staying in the state.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Northjayhawk posted:

I think the standard response is that if we build the wall and deport all the brown people, then the greedy farmers will be forced to pay enough so that white middle-class workers will be willing to pick tomatoes in the sun all day. As far as the impact on food prices, gently caress poors.

Ogmius815 posted:

Did you know that there's a huge labor shortage in agriculture that's been ongoing for years and years?
Is there any source for this?

I am one of those guys who unflinchingly is okay with $7 heads of lettuce or whatever "if the illegal immigrants disappeared..." fantasy people spin wherein agriculture paid the kind of wages people expect of labor, mostly because your $7 head of lettuce is bullshit and not actually going to happen. However, I also don't think that labor force is exclusively "white middle class workers." I think immigrants also deserve a shot at those jobs and wages.

(Edit: Honestly, if you care about the decline of unions and the loss of labor, allowing a permanent underclass of laborers working illegal wages because "poor people need to buy the things they're making" then you're not solving the problem. You don't help "the poor" by having a class of people poorer than them and sweeping them under the rug.)

Also somehow I got misinterpreted as no immigration from anywhere ever when I actually think immigration reform is part of the key to raising the wages and condition of these jobs.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Freakazoid_ posted:

Nobody's perfect. I was thinking either Alyson Kennedy or Gloria Estela La Riva.

Also thinking of writing in Rabbi Michael Lerner just because he's an advocate for basic income. Could also write in you know who :bern101:

Gloria La Riva believes Hugo Chavez did no wrong because anti-imperialists can do no wrong by definition.

• Locked thread