Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I meant "art" as in game assets but in any case, defining feature of a game is that one can play it. If a stylistic choice makes the game harder to play by being visually confusing, the stylistic choice is likely a bad one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Radio Talmudist posted:

Do you guys know where the best modding communities for Baldur's Gate 2 EE are? Playing story-mode on BG2 is a touch too easy, while I want to experience the narrative never being able to die just doesn't feel right. I'd like to investigate how I could create a mod that lets PCs become unconscious or inactive rather than outright die if their HP drops to 0 (my chief reason annoyance in BG2 is barely surviving fights without having at least once character die).

You don't really need mods, just use EEKeeper to edit your save file to give your characters hundreds of hit points or level them up to like 20 right off the bat.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

bongwizzard posted:

I meant "art" as in game assets but in any case, defining feature of a game is that one can play it. If a stylistic choice makes the game harder to play by being visually confusing, the stylistic choice is likely a bad one.

I don't think claiming that game assets is artwork is a controverisal opinion, regardless of wheter you think games can be "art".

Nobody likes poor legibility in a game. This is a problem regardless of art style; certainly it is not a unique problem to games using retro/pixel art. Saying that Serpent in the Staglands has problems with its artwork is a vastly different claim than this:

quote:

I cannot understand the appeal of "retro graphics". lovely graphics in old games were not a grand artistic vision, it was a hardware/software a limitation and there is no earthly reason to carry that dumb poo poo forward.

Artistic limitations -- imposed voluntarily or or not -- does not "lovely graphics" make. lovely artwork is lovely artwork, regardless of style. There are plenty of cases of clean highly legible pixel art that clearly communicates whatever the artist intended/the game needed, and plenty of modern artwork that is a complete illegible mess. And vice versa.

Sure, old graphics is pixelated because there was no alternative. That does not mean it is not a legitimate artistic style that can produce good, unique results.

tl;dr serpents in the staglands may have messy artwork (and obviously some people disagree) but it does not follow that the reason it is messy is because it has a pixelized style

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Nope, pixel graphics are bad and lame and no one would use them if they were capable of making something better. It's ugly for ugly's sake at best and usually masks lack or of talent/ideas/motivation.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

their good

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

You don't really need mods, just use EEKeeper to edit your save file to give your characters hundreds of hit points or level them up to like 20 right off the bat.

I thought about that, and while I want to enjoy BG2 primarily for the story, I want still experience some modicum of a challenge. Just not much of a challenge. Plus it might be an interesting side project to tinker with BG2.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Radio Talmudist posted:

I thought about that, and while I want to enjoy BG2 primarily for the story, I want still experience some modicum of a challenge. Just not much of a challenge. Plus it might be an interesting side project to tinker with BG2.

If you're just trying to find your own perfect personal difficulty level, EE keeper is the key for that. Because you can adjust every stat, ability and item, you can do a lot more fine-tuning on any mod will ever give you.

Even just giving everyone 2 to 3 more levels worth of hit points can make a huge difference in terms of combat to combat survivability and enjoyment.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Radio Talmudist posted:

You could enable cheats and only use the revival cheat after battles, maybe.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Radio Talmudist posted:

Do you guys know where the best modding communities for Baldur's Gate 2 EE are? Playing story-mode on BG2 is a touch too easy, while I want to experience the narrative never being able to die just doesn't feel right. I'd like to investigate how I could create a mod that lets PCs become unconscious or inactive rather than outright die if their HP drops to 0 (my chief reason annoyance in BG2 is barely surviving fights without having at least once character die).
Spellhold Studios and Gibberlings Three, I'd say. Although I've only ever lurked there. Both of those sites have a couple of tutorials.
Beamdog's site and Pocketplane also have active modding discussions.

For what you want to do, a mod may already exist. I know there are ways to prevent both permadeath (by way of chunking, disintegration etc.) and game over due to main character death. I don't remember what mods add these things, though.
But once that's taken care of, it's as bongwizzard says. You just use Shadowkeeper/EEkeeper to give yourself a Rod of Resurrection with a billion charges. Although you'd still have to re-equip stuff afterwards. Or just use Crtl + R as GorfZaplen said, yeah.

If I were to mod an unconscious state as you describe it, looking at how Imoen's Belt (that prevents her from dying in Irenicus' dungeon) works would probably be my starting point.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 26, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Also, isn't there a keyboard command that auto kills whatever you have clicked on? I assumed that would be a good way to ensure you don't have a party wipe during a given battle.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

bongwizzard posted:

Nope, pixel graphics are bad and lame and no one would use them if they were capable of making something better. It's ugly for ugly's sake at best and usually masks lack or of talent/ideas/motivation.

look at this crap artist resorting to pixels because he's not capable of making anything better

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
But those dont look anything like "blurry rear end indy game" graphics that we were sort of talking about? And they still look worse than literally any non-pixelated animated graphics one could bother to google up.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

look at this crap artist resorting to pixels because he's not capable of making anything better

Do you have a source on those?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

bongwizzard posted:

But those dont look anything like "blurry rear end indy game" graphics that we were sort of talking about? And they still look worse than literally any non-pixelated animated graphics one could bother to google up.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I thought that was a Morrowind screenshot at first, now I'm surprised Dark Souls can apparently run on a phone.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Mzbundifund posted:

This guy should be hired for a much-needed Quest For Glory sequel.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

bongwizzard posted:

Because they are both examples of pixel art. By your logic one person making a lovely acrylic means all art made using acrylics is pointless poo poo, and they should just get their head out of their rear end and take photos like real people already.

edit: Look, I get that you think SitS in particular works very badly (which is perfectly fine; I don't think it works too well either, particularly the interface as people point out), and that you don't much like pixel art in general. There are art styles I don't like too. That does not mean any art style I don't like is a waste of time and people should stop making it.

kujeger fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 26, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I just put ketchup on my hotdog.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

kujeger posted:

Because they are both examples of pixel art. By your logic one person making a lovely acrylic means all art made using acrylics is pointless poo poo, and they should just get their head out of their rear end and take photos like real people already.

edit: Look, I get that you think SitS in particular works very badly (which is perfectly fine; I don't think it works too well either, particularly the interface as people point out), and that you don't much like pixel art in general. There are art styles I don't like too. That does not mean any art style I don't like is a waste of time and people should stop making it.

But the argument was never about pixel art and whether something drawn with pixels can look good, it was specifically about using pixel graphics in video games.

Personally I think some games with old-fashioned pixel art look okay, but even having grown up with the style and having nostalgia for it I'll probably not look at your game if you used pixel graphics in 2016.

E: For reference my arguemnt is 'pixel art can look good but not even 1 in 100 games made with pixel art has the interest or time/money to try and look anywhere near as good as the examples above, or good at all'. I can't remember ever playing a game with pixel art on that level, even if I've played a few where it looks fine.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 26, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
99% of pixel art video games made these days have a much higher colour palette and resolution than anything made in the 2D era. It's not just ~imitating old games~, it's a legitimate art style in its own right.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Best bet on Staglands is to wait for that Semi-Expandalone Banquet release thing they are working on which, IIRC, avails of the new/improved engine and approach that they are using for Copper Dreams. I mean, surely they can use it to address at least the font critique and whatnot...

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Almost done with ICWD 1 and thank Helm. It sucks that I know I should be min/maxing all my characters and doing 4-man archer squads, but I can never help just rolling fairly random and trying to deal like an rpg around the table.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Do you have a source on those?

Sure do, they're done by a guy named Mark Ferrari. The really incredible thing about these images is they're actually static pictures, all the animation comes from color cycling - changing the palette of the image. :siren:You can see a bunch more of his stuff here:siren:. I highly recommend you click the Show Options button on the upper right - it lets you see the images current palette in real time as the colors cycle.

If you want to read more about how he made them, he posted a Q&A about it on his blog. It's really cool!

bongwizzard posted:

slow down with those goalposts son, you'll throw your back out

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ElGroucho posted:

Almost done with ICWD 1 and thank Helm. It sucks that I know I should be min/maxing all my characters and doing 4-man archer squads, but I can never help just rolling fairly random and trying to deal like an rpg around the table.

With the EE, some kits straight up break the game, like the archer, but I prefer them to multi-class everyone, min-maxing an entire party like that is just annoying.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I don't have a problem with pixel graphics, but lets be real, the big reason a lot of indie games use them is to save on cost. And gently caress any game where I can't read the text.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

The Joe Man posted:

This guy should be hired for a much-needed Quest For Glory sequel.

Heroine's Quest man, can you dig it?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Washout posted:

Heroine's Quest man, can you dig it?
Literally downloaded/played it on the first day it was released but never finished it. Yeah, it's great. Going to give it another shot now that it's been on Steam and some bugs have been hammered out.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

slow down with those goalposts son, you'll throw your back out

Actually I'm pretty sure I was always talking about video game graphics, not some guy doing a landscape with blinky pixels, which I didn't even know was a thing until you posted it. As for pixel stuff being "a legitimate art style", you could say the same thing about that performance art video of the girl shoving SpaghettiOs up her snatch. It's a legitimate art style, but that doesn't stop it from being dumb as poo poo.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I'm playing with BG2EE and I've noticed that dragging items between party members in the inventory screen is very laggy. I'll pick an item up, drag it to the portrait of another character, and it will take like 10-20 seconds for the item to transfer - all while the game freezes. I'm playing with several mods, including the item stacking mod from BG2 Tweaks, but I've just started the game and have like no items stacked. Any ideas what may be causing this issue?

EDIT: I'm playing on a (semi) modern rig with an R9 290 and FX-6300 CPU.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Are you holding down the mouse button or just clicking once to pick it up and once more to drop it on a party member's portrait?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
What's the best way to use Viconia in BG1? I'd like to use her in the front line so I have three melee/three ranged in my party, but her hit dice are so crappy. I'm worried I'm going to end up rezzing her all the time.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Back row with a sling.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Suspicious posted:

Are you holding down the mouse button or just clicking once to pick it up and once more to drop it on a party member's portrait?

Holding down the mouse button...but drat, have I been doing something so basic incorrectly all this time?

EDIT: So I tried just clicking on an item once and it takes five seconds for BG2EE to process the input. Strange.

Radio Talmudist fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 3, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Randallteal posted:

What's the best way to use Viconia in BG1? I'd like to use her in the front line so I have three melee/three ranged in my party, but her hit dice are so crappy. I'm worried I'm going to end up rezzing her all the time.

She's not a front line character in BG1 short of using BGEEkeeper.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Radio Talmudist posted:

Holding down the mouse button...but drat, have I been doing something so basic incorrectly all this time?

EDIT: So I tried just clicking on an item once and it takes five seconds for BG2EE to process the input. Strange.

Does sound like a mod conflict, I couldn't tell you what ones though

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Randallteal posted:

Decanter of endless skeletons. They'll take care of your front line requirements for you.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Skwirl posted:

She's not a front line character in BG1 short of using BGEEkeeper.

If your other melee have 18 something str, you can give her gauntlets of ogre strength, but you don't get those till you get into baldurs gate itself. Then with that and ankheg plate or whatever she's ok.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
She has no hit points. A couple of crits and she's dead. Keep her far away from danger.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Suspicious posted:

She has no hit points. A couple of crits and she's dead. Keep her far away from danger.

uhh cleric buffs solve that problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
What low level cleric buff(s) will give her more hit points?