Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Phanatic posted:

You're aware that Apple has banned from its app store Civil War-era wargames because a historically-accurate battle flag of the Confederacy was used to denote Confederate units, right?

Boycott Apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Don't really need to. Smart people haven't been buying their poo poo for a while now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tony Montana posted:

Don't really need to. Smart people haven't been buying their poo poo for a while now.

building your business model around selling things to smart people never works out well. building your business model around selling things to idiots, well...

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The White Dragon posted:

building your business model around selling things to smart people never works out well. building your business model around selling things to idiots, well...

On the otherhand, apple.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So the observation ballons seem to stack and as a result you can easily get range 6 rocket artillery :stare:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!

Alkydere posted:

Gets all of the US generic bonus for a late-game Culture civ (film studio and such). BUT their leader gets the ability "The South Shall Rise Again!" which is basically nega-Gorgo: gain culture equal to half of the strength for each unit you LOSE in combat. Congratulations you now have a civ that immortalizes its defeats, turning its dead troops into martyrs.

Or this.

Hm, actually I think yours is better, cause then it encourages making foolish charges that nonetheless get immortalized. Keep the Lost Cause name, though; "we got absolutely hosed, but we died honorably!"

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

logger posted:

The worst is Barbarossa. "You trained an archer unit and got an envoy for a city-state, I hate you now on turn 20 and will declare against you soon."

Barbarosa threatened me for helping a city state when I had not even met any of them

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The real mistake there is not playing as Barbarossa because Hansa's rock.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

uPen posted:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

Barbarosa threatened me for helping a city state when I had not even met any of them

Hansa shot first.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So there is no multiplayer at the moment? Or is there? Or does it need a patch?

Beyond Earth I got more miles out of when I could play with a friend.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Xerxes17 posted:

So the observation ballons seem to stack and as a result you can easily get range 6 rocket artillery :stare:

I figured that out literally 10 minutes ago too. Too bad anything over 3 is overkill because bombard units really suck against everything but cities, and you only need a few of them 3 squares away to decimate a city without getting touched. loving lol at the thought of having rocket artillery with range 6 in Civ V, though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

The White Dragon posted:

Read this in Sean Beans voice

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Tony Montana posted:

Multiplayer seems surprisingly playable for a civ game at launch.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

What are you doing Pangaea algorithm?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

uPen posted:

Just lol at anyone playing Germany or Scythia. Get good scrubs.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Powercrazy posted:

Gotta love self-censorship.

Though I seriously doubt slavery was omitted because of political reasons.

Fun thought excercise: what would be the amazing Sean Bean quotes for Slavery?
"Slavery is bad, mm'kay" - Garrison
"And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom." - Cliven Bundy

We're probably better off that they didn't include it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LordSloth posted:

Fun thought excercise: what would be the amazing Sean Bean quotes for Slavery?

basically half of uncle ruckus's script from the boondocks koreanime

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Tony Montana posted:

Only play multiplayer until (hopefully) they unfuck the AI.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Tony Montana posted:

Multiplayer is fun and good as long as you have friends to play with who won't abuse game ruining strats like scythia. Single player is what is no good.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Ran into Gorgo for the first time and almost lost the game to war weariness.

A horde of barbs defended my nearest neighbors capital which slowed down my early conquest. Then Gorgo sent her carpet of warriors after me, it was a tough war from an exposed side but I wound up killing some 20 units and taking one city. While waiting for Gorgo to negotiate peace (hah) China declared war on me as well. That would have been scary if I didn't have the mother of all 1-tile chokes. China had no chance of breaking through, but war weariness was reaching critical levels at the homefront.

Fighting 3 consecutive wars before getting my economy up was taking it's toll. My gold hit 0 and I started losing a unit every turn, and also it gave a -2 amenity penalty to all cities which put another city at risk of rebellion. I was about to lose on all fronts including my own cities rebelling, but then China gave me a peace deal with enough gold to stabilize my economy. I figured out Gorgo would peace out if I sweetened the deal with a luxury.

I don't know who's worse, Elizabeth or Gorgo.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So I heard there are some glaring issues at the moment. With those issues is this still worth picking up or is it another case of wait for xpacs?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sedisp posted:

So I heard there are some glaring issues at the moment. With those issues is this still worth picking up or is it another case of wait for xpacs?

I think you can go either way; while there are some annoying issues at the moment, the core is very solid and a lot (though certainly not all) of the issues will hopefully disappear in a patch or two. Personally, I've had a lot of fun with it so far. Waiting is a fair choice, though; while I highly doubt we'll see a sale for a while, there isn't anything special you get for buying now versus later either.

If, like, you have friends with the game or something and want to do multiplayer, you can go ahead with it now. If you're solely doing SP, then the game's still fun in my opinion, but the AI is not great and could use quite a bit of work, and while the most egregious things will hopefully get patched (like someone hating you as a warmonger for being part of a joint war they declared) it's probably the biggest issue that will still be a thing after the early patches.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I've been playing since Civ 1 and I already think Civ6 is the best in the series. Yes, there are oversights, imbalances and even some bugs which will surely be fixed. But it's already miles ahead than Civ 4 or 5 were at release.

My first game as Sumeria was one of the most fun games I have ever played. And I have 1293 hours in Civ5.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tony Montana posted:

It's really buggy. There's so many things that don't work properly or do stuff they shouldn't. Like if you're doing hotseat and one player has negative income and the other has 0 gold but positive income the one with 0 gold will start losing units. And you can't have teams so you have to play against each other.
Which is boring as hell in a two player with any AI at all.

For the first time in one of my games the AI has built some modern units. I don't know why or how but Mzemba has some Mechanised infantry! Everyone else is spearmen and crossbowmen but not him.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

I've been playing since Civ 1 and I already think Civ6 is the best in the series. Yes, there are oversights, imbalances and even some bugs which will surely be fixed. But it's already miles ahead than Civ 4 or 5 were at release.

My first game as Sumeria was one of the most fun games I have ever played. And I have 1293 hours in Civ5.

Look at this scrub with only 1293 in Civ5 :smug:

But I could have written that first line myself, in any case. I don't care if you think stacks of doom are the way wars should be fought (hint, they're not) - this is the best embodiment of Civ by a LONG shot.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fryhtaning posted:

But I could have written that first line myself, in any case. I don't care if you think stacks of doom are the way wars should be fought (hint, they're not) - this is the best embodiment of Civ by a LONG shot.

I don't even care about stacks of doom at this point, but they really need to consider allowing some more forms of stacking in this game. It is absurd that you can't use a Great Person because a religious unit is standing on your district, or you can't actually ever make use of the Suzerain feature "improve tiles in their territory" because they're always covering the tile you want to improve with their warrior spam, or it's impossible to sign open borders with the AI because they take that as an open invitation to park their military units in your borders (but yell at you and give you a diplomatic penalty if you have a scout within 3 tiles of their borders, open borders or no), etc. etc. etc.

As far as military goes, I don't think I even want a return to a full "stack of doom" system but some sort of combined-arms stacking for armies would be nice (corps and armies do not count, not even a little bit, frankly their implementation seems a bit half-assed to me). I really like the game but the more I play the more I get frustrated with the absurd 1UPT ruleset. The new movement rules and nerfed roads add to this too.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I enjoy this video game.

Question: Going for a culture victory as Russia and I'm amassing absurd amounts of Great Writers/Artists/Musicians due to the Lavra bonus. Is there anything I can do with them if I don't have any great works slots free? They're kind of all just sleeping around the fringes of my empire at the moment.

Tundra + Lavra + Faith from Tundra Pantheon + Double holy site adjacency + Perks (from wonders, can't remember) that let you buy Theatre/Campus upgrades and units with faith is pretty :lol: even if you're completely ignoring religion.

Edit: Other question... you only need to improve a luxury to get amenities, it doesn't matter if it's worked or not? I think that's right but just wanted to check.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 3, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Magil Zeal posted:

As far as military goes, I don't think I even want a return to a full "stack of doom" system but some sort of combined-arms stacking for armies would be nice (corps and armies do not count, not even a little bit, frankly their implementation seems a bit half-assed to me). I really like the game but the more I play the more I get frustrated with the absurd 1UPT ruleset.

When I first heard of the "corps" and "army" feature I thought for sure it would work like that for a combined arms approach. Combining two warriors together into warrior+1 is just so lame.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

Gravy Jones posted:

I enjoy this video game.

Question: Going for a culture victory as Russia and I'm amassing absurd amounts of Great Writers/Artists/Musicians due to the Lavra bonus. Is there anything I can do with them if I don't have any great works slots free? They're kind of all just sleeping around the fringes of my empire at the moment.

They are doomed to roam the earth for hundreds of years until you are able to build art museums. Or you could sell your current great works to other civs for gold/amenities. Or you could delete them for a gold cash out.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gravy Jones posted:

Edit: Other question... you only need to improve a luxury to get amenities, it doesn't matter if it's worked or not? I think that's right but just wanted to check.

That's correct.

One good thing I've found for Russia (or any Civ really) is if you pick Cathedrals as your religious building you can have extra slots for religious works of art. Helps with the artist spam. Can't do much for writers or musicians though.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ross Perowned posted:

They are doomed to roam the earth for hundreds of years until you are able to build art museums. Or you could sell your current great works to other civs for gold/amenities. Or you could delete them for a gold cash out.

I cashed out F. Scott Fitzgerald last night. Didn't feel guilty about it, either.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Didn't think of trading works or selling them, thanks.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gravy Jones posted:

Didn't think of trading works or selling them, thanks.

I got 1500 for selling HG wells, it's a decent boost.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

prefect posted:

I cashed out F. Scott Fitzgerald last night. Didn't feel guilty about it, either.

On the other end of that, I have my standing army surround Hieronymus Bosch until his works are safely in my Hermitage.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Yeah the great artist/musician thing seems like (yet another) something that should have been caught in testing. I'm playing as Pericles going for a culture victory and I am just swimming in great people. If you start accumulating GPP early, you very quickly fill up all slots for works of art and writing. I wonder what would happen balance-wise if great artists/writers only produced 1 work (instead of 2-3). Obviously you'd have get much less culture in total but at least you would't be just deleting great people.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just had my third game where I thought it would go for a science victory but then saw "Oh, I'm almost to a culture victory, I guess I'll do that" before even building a spaceport

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

It's sad that you can't compare yourself to other civilizations if you turn off every victory condition. The entire scoring window is just empty. I just want to know how my army and science compares. I can't wait for the new Info Addict mod.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
What's actually required for a domination victory? Do you have to exterminate everybody else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

You just have to own every capital.