Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kazr posted:

any recommendations on an alternate start mod?

Quick searching led me to this mod which combines an alternate start mod I used to use and loved (the front bit about 18 different start locations) and one I never used that let's you shuffle around stats and equipment. It seems like the state mod bit is entirely optional so you can ignore it if you want to, so I'd say try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

kazr posted:

any recommendations on an alternate start mod?

If you just want to skip the beginning, I've used this one before.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

How about an alternate shart mod?

... I'll see myself out.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Cool I'll check them out. Honestly all I want is to start in a mushroom city because there's no way I can leave Seyda Neen without 3k~ in gold

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Agents are GO! posted:

How about an alternate shart mod?

... I'll see myself out.

thats anywhere in Vvardenfell. Do you think Scrib jelly is good for your digestion?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

hannibal posted:

If you just want to skip the beginning, I've used this one before.

I used to use this one. I had modified it a tiny bit to get a fourth option for quickly testing stuff that added a bunch of cheat items, like a ring that could change your stats to be low, mid, or high, and that could teleport you to pretty much all relevant places.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I made one with a default quick start that lets you skip the main quest, and provided instructions for how to tweak it for personalized start conditions. The latter requires a bit of CS know-how, but I made the chargen as clean as possible so tweaking it only requires modifying a single script. http://download.fliggerty.com/download--1129

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
How good is the STEP guide for Morrowind? I like the guides for Skyrim and Oblivion but don't know if people like the Morrowind one as much or whether I should do the OP guide or the Tomorrowind guide on reddit.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

OSheaman posted:

How good is the STEP guide for Morrowind? I like the guides for Skyrim and Oblivion but don't know if people like the Morrowind one as much or whether I should do the OP guide or the Tomorrowind guide on reddit.

its good

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

OSheaman posted:

Seems mostly good though I can't vouch for everything. For armors, they're missing this (don't mind the site it's hosted on) and, especially, this because I can't stand the dumb design of the imperial legion cuirass for women since LeFemm/Tribunal, with its boob plates and wrong color.

On the misc. QOL stuff I'd also recommend getting graphic herbalism. There's a reason Bethesda just made what this mod brings a baseline feature of Oblivion and Skyrim, it's really annoying to "open" plants.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OSheaman posted:

It's good but missing a leveling mod like GCD. Anybody following a step-by-step guide should at least be made aware of the option to get rid of the awful vanilla level-ups.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Jazerus posted:

It's good but missing a leveling mod like GCD. Anybody following a step-by-step guide should at least be made aware of the option to get rid of the awful vanilla level-ups.

Eh, STEP's philosophy is not to make major gameplay changes. STEP-style guides are mostly about fixing bugs and updating graphics/models/etc. That said you should be able to add in gameplay mods of your choice pretty easily.

The Morrowind STEP guide is fine if you have never done it before and need a step by step guide. Especially since so many of the old standbys (BTB's mod list etc) suffer from link-rot and such.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I really hope they don't go to 1.0 with OpenMW before leveling mods work.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Why wouldn't they work? I was under the impression old mods should work easily in openmw

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's a big difference between Morrowind and OpenMW with regards to scripts: Morrowind reads compiled byte code (created by the TESCS), OpenMW does a JIT compilation of the scripts' source code instead. This means that if a script has discrepancies between its source code and its byte code (possible when not using TESCS) then the script will be different between Morrowind and OpenMW.

Wait I actually talked about that before:

Cat Mattress posted:

The only incompatibilities to be expected are for mods which use MWSE or MWE scripting features, or obfuscated their scripts by deleting/changing the scripts source code. (Morrowind ignores the script source (SCTX chunk), it reads their compiled bytecode (SCDT chunk); OpenMW ignores the bytecode and recompiles the source on-the-fly. I'm only aware of one Morrowind mod where the author messed with the script sources, CDCooley's companion teleportation mod. Doing this kind of things requires advanced knowledge of the ESP/ESM internal format and messing with the mod with Morrowind Enchanted Editor, which is an unstable and finicky program, so it's unlikely most people will even think of trying to do that.)

The companion teleportation mod, if you're curious, is there; there's both the "Improved Teleportation 2.0" which requires MWSE and "Companion Teleportation 1.1" which uses (IIRC) 20 near-identical scripts but only kept the source code for one and deleted the others to reduce file size.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

You don't need gcd and after not using it for a while I kinda like the alternatives like Madd Leveler more.

Linora's leveling mod (medium) is the best one I've used by far,

quote:

Basically I altered 9 GMSTs that make it so if you gain 1 skill point or more in a skill governed by an attribute you always get a x5 when adding points to named attribute when leveling. This essentially removes the need to skill-watch.

To balance this I altered 2 more GMSTs, so as to make it so MISC and non-Minor/Major specialization skills are not as easy to level up, so one can't so easily just level up a MISC skill and get that +5 bonus from just doing that.

medium changes that to +4 so you don't become superman as quickly

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I have never used a leveling mod in morrowind. I typically only use multimark, some graphical mods, and then all the fashion mods my little heart can handle.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Cat Mattress posted:

There's a big difference between Morrowind and OpenMW with regards to scripts: Morrowind reads compiled byte code (created by the TESCS), OpenMW does a JIT compilation of the scripts' source code instead. This means that if a script has discrepancies between its source code and its byte code (possible when not using TESCS) then the script will be different between Morrowind and OpenMW.

Wait I actually talked about that before:

That's not the issue. The issue is that the OpenMW attribute and stat model is simply different from vanilla Morrowind's under the hood, and so scripts which are designed to work with the latter don't necessarily work with the former. (For example, in vanilla, "Drain Magicka" temporarily reduces current magicka, but in OpenMW it temporarily reduces maximum magicka, so GCDLean's gimmicks to determine what "true" magicka is break.)

e: Also, GCDLean manifests a race condition, so there's some script execution difference beyond whatever's going on with the JIT.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I have never used a leveling mod in morrowind. I typically only use multimark, some graphical mods, and then all the fashion mods my little heart can handle.

and graphic herbalism...........and tireless running

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Morrowind modding gives me a headache so I'm trying to keep it as simple, so I decided to use MGSO and the Chocolate pack and then just ignore everything else until I'm done enough with the game to be comfortable with corrupting everything by installing a new butterfly texture or something.

What is the correct order of operations for installing MGSO and the Choclate pack? I think I managed to gently caress it up when I noticed the two have some overlaps and I used the "Uninstall" option in Bash, so I'm probably just going to uninstall Morrowind entirely and start over from scratch.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

The key is not to use MGSO. Chocolate Pack is designed to be standalone so i have no idea if or how it works with MGSO, which is hot garbage

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
MGSO might be "simple" to install but it's not actually simple. I can't find my old post but if you want a short list of very basic mods to make Morrowind a very stable and slightly more smooth experience I'll dig up the files and make a post for you.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 9, 2016

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

K8.0 posted:

MGSO might be "simple" to install but it's not actually simple. I can't find my old post but if you want a short list of very basic mods to make Morrowind a very stable and slightly more smooth experience I'll dig up the files and make a post for you.

Sure, I'd really appreciate it.

After looking at the watercolor textures mod I might just go with that and MGE EX instead of trying to cobble together a massive graphical overhaul. Since I've never actually finished Morrowind or even set foot in the expansions, I'm more interested in bug fixes and rebalances or sorely missing features (like multi-Mark or a player house).

e: I tried Morrowind Watercolored v2 + MGE EX and loved it even with default models. Ran much, much faster than MGSO too. Now I'm going through Chocolate Pack and nixing anything that uses custom textures (though I like NX9's Creatures enough to maybe do a watercolor filter pass on those textures myself).

boho fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 9, 2016

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

This may be my rose tinted glasses but honestly I don't like the updated textures pack. I spent a long time updating textures and applying improvement mods to make the game more modern and player friendly but it's like polishing a turd. You can have the incredible textures but the models are still terrible, and even if better bodies and better faces are your thing (I think they're awful) the animations are still dated and will look way jarring. There are some quality of life improvements that can be great but it's not anything you're going to notice without putting some time into the game. Just play it and enjoy it

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Anyone installing Morrowind, don't forget this:

Bethsoft posted:

If you are having problems with frame rates when running Morrowind try doing this, Right click your Morrowind shortcut> Click the compatibility tab> And tick the boxes that say disable desktop compositon, disable visual themes and disable display scaling on high DPI settings> Click apply and enjoy increased performance! :P

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

kazr posted:

This may be my rose tinted glasses but honestly I don't like the updated textures pack.

I don't either.

I do install Better Bodies because the extremely segmented and extremely polygonal original bodies are too hard on me. But I've never found any of the retextures to be fitting. And high-res textures just emphasize the low-polyness of the meshes, so then you have to also install high-poly meshes, and that makes nonreplaced assets jarring, and so on.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I tried running Timeslip's exe optimizer, but it fails at block 520 with the error that it's out of resources.

It's not out of resources.

Is MCP or the 4gb patch interfering?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't either.

I do install Better Bodies because the extremely segmented and extremely polygonal original bodies are too hard on me. But I've never found any of the retextures to be fitting. And high-res textures just emphasize the low-polyness of the meshes, so then you have to also install high-poly meshes, and that makes nonreplaced assets jarring, and so on.

I like better bodies, and I usually use Qarl's texture packs (rest in peace).

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't either.

the problem with retextures i often find is their makers dont understand contrast. so many texture packs just look way too busy or stand out way too much ingame - even if they get the coloring right it looks extremely grainy and distracting. its most noticable in vivec since the walls, ceiling and floors are all a fairly muted color and texture, 99 percent of retextures for it look absolutely horrible and garish and i eventually ended up editing one to turn the contrast and saturation down about 30-50 percent in photoshop

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Stexils posted:

the problem with retextures i often find is their makers dont understand contrast. so many texture packs just look way too busy or stand out way too much ingame - even if they get the coloring right it looks extremely grainy and distracting. its most noticable in vivec since the walls, ceiling and floors are all a fairly muted color and texture, 99 percent of retextures for it look absolutely horrible and garish and i eventually ended up editing one to turn the contrast and saturation down about 30-50 percent in photoshop

Oversaturation and bad contrast is so common, it makes me wonder if the modders who made those had lovely monitors or were half blind. When I make or modify textures I crank down the saturation to match the original game. I don't understand how other people don't notice how badly their poo poo sticks out. That and when Oblivion came out, all the Morrowind modders had to make their textures more textury by adding more texture until everything looked like it was painted over crumpled foil.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I've personally found the watercolor texture pack to be fantastic. Putting a layer of abstraction over everything makes it that much easier for my brain to just settle down and get immersed as opposed to saying "holy hell these door textures are worse than Daggerfall" or something every five minutes.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

boho posted:

I tried running Timeslip's exe optimizer, but it fails at block 520 with the error that it's out of resources.

Run as admin and don't do anything else while it is running.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

boho posted:

I've always ran the 4gb patch last and I haven't had issues like that so maybe that's your problem?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
"Why walk when you can ride?"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Gyshall posted:

Run as admin and don't do anything else while it is running.

Upmarket Mango posted:

I've always ran the 4gb patch last and I haven't had issues like that so maybe that's your problem?

Turns out the problem was that timeslip's optimizer looks a whole hell of a lot like a Worm (which makes sense if you think about how it does its thing). My virus protection's heuristics was picking it up.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I'm making a "drag and drop this folder" Morrowind mod pack for my friends, is it technically illegal to distribute the exe or can I put in a "if you download this you must own morrowind" type statement. The only reason I ask is if it can get my friends to play I'd like to release it publicly.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Distributing the exe is probably super illegal.

Just don't incluee vanilla files and you should be good, except mod authors may get their panties in a bunch.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I'm making a "drag and drop this folder" Morrowind mod pack for my friends, is it technically illegal to distribute the exe or can I put in a "if you download this you must own morrowind" type statement. The only reason I ask is if it can get my friends to play I'd like to release it publicly.

You know that if you drop a folder into a directory with a folder of that name already, it will merge them, right? There is 0 reason for you to be distributing Bethesda's resources in your mod pack.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You know that if you drop a folder into a directory with a folder of that name already, it will merge them, right? There is 0 reason for you to be distributing Bethesda's resources in your mod pack.

prepatching the exe with LAA and morrowind code patch sounds like a reason

please take your condescension elsewhere

Sky Shadowing posted:

Distributing the exe is probably super illegal.

Just don't incluee vanilla files and you should be good, except mod authors may get their panties in a bunch.

you're probably right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Anyone playing Morrowind at this point should probably be using OpenMW. That might make it easier to distribute stuff without including :filez: