Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hard counter posted:

judge for yourself :v:
Soul of the Last Giant: Soul of the surviving giant, who was bound below the Forest of the Giants.
The lord of the Giants, who had brought wrack and ruin to the entire kingdom, was said to have been felled by an unknown warrior. His beaten and broken remains were then dragged beneath the stronghold, where he was sealed away.
Use the special soul of the Last Giant to acquire numerous souls, or to create something of great worth.

that's lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Gundyr's soul has the same unknown warrior thing right

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Maleh-Vor posted:

Probably the Dragon God from Demon's Souls. Ceaseless Discharge was pretty big too, but I think the Dragon God is in a class of his own.

I think Storm King is bigger than Dragon God.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I think Storm King is bigger than Dragon God.

We'd have a clear winner in the Old One if you ever fought the drat thing.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'd be neat if the new dlc has the deep and its all eldritch poo poo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Genocyber posted:

We'd have a clear winner in the Old One if you ever fought the drat thing.

one of the coolest lore things in the series is the istarelle since it's made of oak and says it's a revelation from god.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

Really the non-drangleic stuff is actually more interesting to me. The iron king's story is fun stuff.

Souls DLC is usually very good, but it's crazy how much better than the base game the Dark Souls 2 DLC was both in terms of design and story/fluff stuff

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'd be neat if the new dlc has the deep and its all eldritch poo poo

Would be neat. Get some mind flayers up in this poo poo like Latria. A whole Latria-like expansion would be neat.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Groovelord Neato posted:

one of the coolest lore things in the series is the istarelle since it's made of oak and says it's a revelation from god.

on the other hand it looks like a dog turd on the end of a stick.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I like the symbol of the beast and oops god is cthulhu.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
wow this forest of a million loving wolves and a million rear end in a top hat trees that shoot ten million homing fireballs is not fun

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

wow this forest of a million loving wolves and a million rear end in a top hat trees that shoot ten million homing fireballs is not fun

Summon someone at the bonfire, there's usually a couple brave souls putting their signs down there. I went all the way from start to the end boss with one yesterday. Then we got wrecked because we had like three estus between us. But anyway having even one person with you makes it a lot easier to manage the wolves.

Alternatively, just run through the trees. The wolves won't chase very far from the wooded area and the trees aren't a threat at long range.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

skasion posted:

Summon someone at the bonfire, there's usually a couple brave souls putting their signs down there. I went all the way from start to the end boss with one yesterday. Then we got wrecked because we had like three estus between us. But anyway having even one person with you makes it a lot easier to manage the wolves.

Alternatively, just run through the trees. The wolves won't chase very far from the wooded area and the trees aren't a threat at long range.

yeah I just ran through

e; I think the character I'm using might be a bit undergeared right now too. Bleed/luck I think somewhere in the +4 to +6 range

ee; also it's been a while and I suck now

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 3, 2016

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I like the symbol of the beast and oops god is cthulhu.

I hate it when that happens.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

yeah I just ran through

e; I think the character I'm using might be a bit undergeared right now too. Bleed/luck I think somewhere in the +4 to +6 range

ee; also it's been a while and I suck now

Yeah you are undergeared. You can definitely run through the first couple bonfires as soon as you can unlock Cleansing Chapel but you'll have a LOT of trouble trying to fight the larger enemies or unlocking a certain staircase if you aren't set up for endgame difficulty. There's guys in this DLC who are at least as hard as the large man-serpents, profaned ogres, etc. 27 VIG, +8, and a decent ranged attack is what I would recommend at minimum for the DLC.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Is there a good repository of information for pvp out there or is it just a bunch of hardcore people testing and keeping it secret?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Painting guardian sword having the most active parry frames is interesting. I never see it used. I never see a lot of stuff though

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Did the poise changes have any noticeable effect? Sorry for what I'm sure is a repetitive question, I can't find anything by googling and I don't wanna read the thread because I haven't played the DLC yet.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Space Hamlet posted:

Did the poise changes have any noticeable effect? Sorry for what I'm sure is a repetitive question, I can't find anything by googling and I don't wanna read the thread because I haven't played the DLC yet.

You now need a decent amount of poise if you want to poise through attacks while attacking with weapons that have hyper armor (which now include axes/maces when 2handed). Also you need a shitton of poise to be uninterrupted while attacking with halberds now, so they're kind of bad as a class now.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

WarpedLichen posted:

Is there a good repository of information for pvp out there or is it just a bunch of hardcore people testing and keeping it secret?

Carthus Rouge.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

So the secret to getting to the tower is hug the side where the hill to the javelin is, kill the wolf before he howls, then hug the cliff.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Is hacking really bad in the pc version? I have a setup that I'm pretty sure would run it well (i7-6700k, R9 Fury, SSD) but I have a ps4 too. Don't really want my character hosed up and then banned because someone altered it and they assume I'm hacking and I've heard people make a few claims of this happening. Wondering if those reports are just overblown or worth considering?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I learned today on my strength character that you can visceral attack the dlc giant wolf if you get enough smacks in. Even on NG+ it takes off like a third of its hp :black101:

So does the DLC open as soon as you reach the cleansing chapel or do I need to beat the deacons first? I'm rushing a new pyromancer to do an Onyx Blade run.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Desperate Character posted:

I learned today on my strength character that you can visceral attack the dlc giant wolf if you get enough smacks in. Even on NG+ it takes off like a third of its hp :black101:

So does the DLC open as soon as you reach the cleansing chapel or do I need to beat the deacons first? I'm rushing a new pyromancer to do an Onyx Blade run.

As soon as you open. Onyx Blade owns, embrace it. Pro-tip that I loved about it is that the swing you do when enchanting it also does damage and can be used to set dudes up for stunlock combos.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Is hacking really bad in the pc version? I have a setup that I'm pretty sure would run it well (i7-6700k, R9 Fury, SSD) but I have a ps4 too. Don't really want my character hosed up and then banned because someone altered it and they assume I'm hacking and I've heard people make a few claims of this happening. Wondering if those reports are just overblown or worth considering?

I've only ever run into run of the mill infinite health jokers. Some people act like they're a constant threat, but personally I've never had much of an issue with hackers in the souls games :shrug: just don't pick up any suspicious items someone drops unless they're someone you can trust.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dolphin Fetus posted:

It was a problem early on but I haven't seen anyone cheating for months.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I havent met a single hacker so far. Though i havent been invading as much as in ds1 and ds2.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

WarpedLichen posted:

Shields are underrated and you can use them to throw your opponent off balance with well timed blocks or parries or bashes. Mixing in a weapon with the "perseverance" weapon art can really gently caress with spammers.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sard posted:

Shields are underrated and you can use them to throw your opponent off balance with well timed blocks or parries or bashes. Mixing in a weapon with the "perseverance" weapon art can really gently caress with spammers.

Shields, like with anything really, can be situational. Against dudes using enchanted weapons they drop off dramatically but if you have a shield with super high stability and your opponent doesn't realize it, but they've gotten used to PVE where every enemy breaks guard after three or four hits, they'll quickly waste their stamina.

EDIT: When it comes to PVP I seriously recommend you have at least two main approaches. Even if it's something as simple as two-handing or sword+shield when you run into someone who is too fast for your two hand attacks. A lot of complaints about PVP tend to be from people who exclusively use one build and one approach and then get mad when they run into people who use the things that get around their build.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 3, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like how lothric's holy sword projectile travels in a perfectly straight line and has a super short casting time. Meanwhile the crescent moon blade requires you to stand still for like 2.5 seconds and arcs into the ground for no reason.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Internet Kraken posted:

I like how lothric's holy sword projectile travels in a perfectly straight line and has a super short casting time. Meanwhile the crescent moon blade requires you to stand still for like 2.5 seconds and arcs into the ground for no reason.

They're balanced by ease of access, of course!

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Mazerunner posted:

Bop the trees with a torch (or any fire weapon or spell) and they catch on fire and can't do poo poo for like 10 seconds, plenty of time to...I'll spare you the tree killing puns, you get the idea.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Painting guardian sword having the most active parry frames is interesting. I never see it used. I never see a lot of stuff though

I've used it as an offhand for a long time on my Hollow Luck build, it's great since you get the nice fast small curved sword R1's when you hit L1 and of course it has the parry which is great. I initially started using it because I wanted something fashionable and moderately useful in my offhand to give me +5 Luck but I was pleasantly surprised with how handy it is. Great for PvE and PvP. It also takes infusions like a champ so it's a great candidate for a Simple or Blessed offhand for an Int or Fth build. I think it gets S scaling on whatever you infuse it into (aside from Dark or Chaos where it gets B/B which is really good as well).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If someone rolls through the frostbite proc, they will dodge the damage. However, will they still be affected by the stamina degen and reduced protection?

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Maleh-Vor posted:

Nashandra came from "far away" but was secretly a piece of Manus in disguise and kind of turned him into an rear end in a top hat, telling him that Giants were jerked and he should go kill them. So he went across the sea to the land of the Giants and took their souls and some McGuffin, (which may have just been their souls), or possibly the Giant's Kinship.

Regarding this in particular: Vendrick didn't return home with a "Macguffin", he returned home with the Giants themselves, clapped in irons. He enslaved them, had Aldia experiment on them, and eventually created the Golems from them. Not all of them, of course. Those that remained could never forgive Vendrick, which is why they waged total war on Drangleic. Vendrick's rise and fall is some of the best storytelling in the whole series, and your discovery of his ultimate fate is one of the crowning moments of digital narratives.

To that end, I dearly want to know what became of Aldia and the Bearer of the Curse. They are quite possibly the two most important people in history since the whole cycle of flame began but I'm afraid that we'll never know what became of them because Souls 3 seems very intent on disavowing that Souls 2 ever existed (and was better in most ways).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

skasion posted:

on the other hand it looks like a dog turd on the end of a stick.

and the old one is a giant mound covered in trees and you fight a living turd inside it.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Dazzling Addar posted:

Regarding this in particular: Vendrick didn't return home with a "Macguffin", he returned home with the Giants themselves, clapped in irons. He enslaved them, had Aldia experiment on them, and eventually created the Golems from them. Not all of them, of course. Those that remained could never forgive Vendrick, which is why they waged total war on Drangleic. Vendrick's rise and fall is some of the best storytelling in the whole series, and your discovery of his ultimate fate is one of the crowning moments of digital narratives.

To that end, I dearly want to know what became of Aldia and the Bearer of the Curse. They are quite possibly the two most important people in history since the whole cycle of flame began but I'm afraid that we'll never know what became of them because Souls 3 seems very intent on disavowing that Souls 2 ever existed (and was better in most ways).

No idea about Aldia, but the Dark Souls 2 protagonist is part of Soul of Cinder. Really, this is like asking what became of the Dark Lord after Dark Souls 1. The purpose of the Dark Souls world is Dark Souls games. That overrides anything else, and any ending that conflicts with that simply didn't happen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Dark Souls 2 was deeply stupid and for all of DS3's faults it's good that it locked the second game's plot in a cupboard.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, the DLC is pretty great for making overpowered early game characters. You can pick up a bunch of Souls and Large Titanite, and the Captain's Ashes let you buy a couple of Refined Gems (of which you only had 1 until Lothric Castle before). Even if you're not using the DLC weapons, it probably makes some of the more gimmicky builds easier to use since you can do Cathedral to Irithyll overleveled.

Oxxidation posted:

Dark Souls 2 was deeply stupid and for all of DS3's faults it's good that it locked the second game's plot in a cupboard.

:whitewater:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dazzling Addar posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense. I can't believe I never thought of that before, that the thing he took was actually their people. As for what happened to Aldia, I assume he died given that we fight him in 2. And personally speaking, I like the theory that Wolnir is a canon representation of the player character from 2. A figure from another land who shows up, takes four crowns and makes them his own before loving off for more power and adventure ultimately becoming consumed by the abyss.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Oxxidation posted:

This is extremely hosed up and wrong

Nuebot posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense. I can't believe I never thought of that before, that the thing he took was actually their people. As for what happened to Aldia, I assume he died given that we fight him in 2. And personally speaking, I like the theory that Wolnir is a canon representation of the player character from 2. A figure from another land who shows up, takes four crowns and makes them his own before loving off for more power and adventure ultimately becoming consumed by the abyss.

Aldia explicitly doesn't die in the fight with him in 2: you don't even get any souls for beating him. Aldia is completely and totally immortal, the only thing that is so in the series, and that's a big part of why he's important. He broke the cycle not by dying permanently like a lot of other fuckers, but by never dying, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Look, I love all of my hosed up children. Even the shiftless bums that won't get pc ports. We don't have to argue who is better.