Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Oh my god who cares about whether the dev does or doesn't understand your special sexual quirks, just play the drat game or don't or whatever.

I don't really care about the specifics of internal modeling of relationships, but I do care that it leads to stupid poo poo in game like "every single pawn constantly hits on the one female colonist with the Beautiful trait and then everybody goes into mental breaks because they have have -80 rebuffed penalties".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roadie posted:

I don't really care about the specifics of internal modeling of relationships, but I do care that it leads to stupid poo poo in game like "every single pawn constantly hits on the one female colonist with the Beautiful trait and then everybody goes into mental breaks because they have have -80 rebuffed penalties".

That's more a problem with the mood system in general I think though I have a fondness for managing the big brother house colony.

As I said before the game makes a lot more sense if you assume your colonists are all massive loving maladjusted social rejects.

Which considering half of them are probably backer characters, is entirely accurate.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ShadowMar posted:

it's the Asperger Rebel backstory

"Her asperger syndrome meant he struggled with social situations and was incapable of caring, but she learned hard skills like research and shooting very quickly."

at some point i want to put all the kickstarter backer characters into a colony together to see how quickly it devolves into skull-cracking violence

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

OwlFancier posted:

Oh my god who cares about whether the dev does or doesn't understand your special sexual quirks, just play the drat game or don't or whatever.

bi men? more like sjw tumblr special snowflakes :rolleyes: fly away, queer trolls, and trouble this thread no more!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not going to expire because I can't be perfectly represented in this cannibalism simulator and neither are you.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Let's anger mulch this anger crop so that next year's anger farming can be anger harvested before the sad snows come.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Oh hey, a bunch of posts in the Rimworld thread, maybe there's an update to CCM or something. :staredog: :ughh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"I DEMAND UNEDITED COMMENT ON THE ARTICLE!"

"Okay sure"

"And personal observations: I’ve known some bi women and a large proportion of the nominally straight women I’ve known have discussed bi impulses or experiences they’ve had. In contrast, every bi man I’ve ever known has ultimately ended up identifying as gay. These patterns seem to apply even in very gay-friendly social contexts.
Of course I’m sure bi/bi-curious men exist, but the research and what I’ve seen supports the conclusion that they’re rarer than bi women. Conversely, gay women seem to be rarer than gay men."

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not going to expire because I can't be perfectly represented in this cannibalism simulator and neither are you.

The concern isn't that people aren't able to perfectly recreate themselves in the game. The concern is that the developer has created, through the rules of his simulation, a game that reflects a very common sexist worldview. It's not clear how much of that is intentional versus accidental; men continuously hitting on women and becoming morose does seem to be at least partly an emergent accident. But the developer's comments show that some of the game's worldview comes directly from the way he sees the world - that there are no straight women or bi men is a feature, not a bug - and that he becomes incandescently furious when a woman points this out, even in a polite and deferential way.

Does that mean that everyone who's bought this game should immediately demand a steam refund and begin flogging themselves for their thoughtcrimes? Perhaps not. But it is, as bisonbison put it, 'interesting'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really think it is especially interesting because I would not expect otherwise from a game deveoper and it's not like every thing about videogames isn't steeped in giving money to lovely-rear end people.

You have a hobby that is built on lovely people making lovely games with lovely ideas in them which run on machinery produced by lovely labour practices to make lovely techbros shittingly huge amounts of money. You still enjoy it because your personal gratification trumps all of that. I sort of assume anyone who plays games a lot has already come to terms with that.

It seems like a rather already done discussion from the ethical consumption point of view and from the game design point of view it's not especially significant either way.

A bit more intuitive outcome in the "constant hitting on people and becoming suicidally depressed" area would probably be an improvement though I do find that to be one of the few actually interesting and difficult to avoid personality conflicts in the game, other than an abrasive colonist there aren't many reasons to really manage your colonists interactions unless people start hating each other, more of those I think would add interest to the relationship system. But I suppose you can add those in more intuitive ways as well instead of relying on what is probably a bit of a bug.

I enjoy designing rotas and work areas around keeping people who don't get on well with each other apart, it's a good counter to the benefit of the relationship system where it makes people who get along well with each other easier to keep happy. It should have a downside too. The game works well for small-scale micromanagement of colonists because of the general population levels you have so I would like more development in that area.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 3, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

A bit more intuitive outcome in the "constant hitting on people and becoming suicidally depressed" area would probably be an improvement though I do find that to be one of the few actually interesting and difficult to avoid personality conflicts in the game, other than an abrasive colonist there aren't many reasons to really manage your colonists interactions unless people start hating each other, more of those I think would add interest to the relationship system. But I suppose you can add those in more intuitive ways as well instead of relying on what is probably a bit of a bug.

In the RPS comments he actually says he's working on that. Pawns will figure out others orientations after a few conversations and be less likely to harass someone after being rejected. He's also going to make bisexuality a character trait that either gender can have instead of the way it's currently coded.

He's got weird views in other areas, but after a bit in the comments he did seem to calm down and at least be open to discussing things and even a little compromise.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 3, 2016

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm a bi man. I don't really care that Tynan thinks I don't exist. Dan Savage, a gay man, has said the same, so it's not like he's special about being a shithead. I already modded a Bisexual trait into the game anyway. The stuff about attractiveness is pulled straight from dating site statistics, I've seen the studies. The stuff about straight women not existing has already been mentioned in this thread before. We've had access to this code for a long time, this article says nothing new.

Nothing:burger:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Conot posted:

I agree that its pretty standard but RPS/the author not coming back and offering alternative options for Tynan to have some editorial control without the total control of "all of my comments cannot be edited in any way" nuclear option also reeks of something fishy on the author's end.

The specific author of this piece (Claudia Lo) hasn't written on Rimworld before and doesn't seem to be a regular RPS contributor, so the whole situation is kinda weird.

i missed this post earlier but these are also both very good points

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm a bi man. I don't really care that Tynan thinks I don't exist. Dan Savage, a gay man, has said the same, so it's not like he's special about being a shithead. I already modded a Bisexual trait into the game anyway. The stuff about attractiveness is pulled straight from dating site statistics, I've seen the studies. The stuff about straight women not existing has already been mentioned in this thread before. We've had access to this code for a long time, this article says nothing new.

Nothing:burger:

I'm a bi man too and I was actually gonna get this this weekend. Now I'll hold off till the goober dev fixes this rather than coding sexuality according to "an OKCupid blog post"

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

You should still get it because it's a very good game and there are mods for any conceivable change you'd like.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So if he can make females bisexual outside of the trait system why can't he make sexuality as a whole work off that system instead of blowing limited trait slots on whether or not pawns prefer the d?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Leal posted:

So if he can make females bisexual outside of the trait system why can't he make sexuality as a whole work off that system instead of blowing limited trait slots on whether or not pawns prefer the d?

He can't really do that without making everybody bisexual.

Or putting everybody on the Kinsey scale, which IMO would be the best change. Maybe give them a random % homosexuality (or heterosexuality if you dislike heteronormativity, makes no difference) and base attractiveness calculations off that. That's how it works for women who don't have the Gay trait currently but the percentage is fixed.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Class Warcraft posted:

You should still get it because it's a very good game and there are mods for any conceivable change you'd like.

I'd rather not at this time, thanks :)

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Hm, there's this really good game and suddenly there's a bunch of problematic things people suddenly take issue with hm I wonder if it has anything to do with the developer's personal beliefs or social circles he is or isn't in hm.

Hm who are these people have I seen them before somewhere? Hm.

Hmmm.

Weird.

Hm.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's all the drat heterosexuals making the game harder for me, cheatin' on their spouses, having affairs and then fistfights. I have to keep switching the sleeping order because of it.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Christ, can someone tap me on the shoulder when this thread returns to talking about the best strats on making a human leather recliner exporting company or something?

It's much less decisive when discussing dismembering people for profit than discussing the distribution curve of bi pawns.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Class Warcraft posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=747417081

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Recent News posted:

Hey all, just a quick teaser update for you. Behold, the planet!

I'll be releasing more information about this soon-ish. I just wanted to give you all an image so you know we are still working at full steam, on many different features.

A16 will probably be the biggest update ever in terms of the amount of work we've done adding and refining things, so it's taking a while.

Hold on though before we say anything let me get my magnifying glass to see if I can spot any bisexual men down there.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Send people who won't take a hint to the front lines/kibble factory imho.

That RPS article was exactly the kind of games criticism that I like to see. I would imagine that people don't really need reviews as buying advice these days (hello YouTube, Steam reviews, and Twitch!), and it's always more interesting to me to read about systems or stories in a game as well as the critic's interpretation thereof. Almostly like you could think about games as a form of art!

Probably could have tried to work something out where Tynan could review/clarify answers to questions, but if he was insisting on editorial control before even answering questions then lol no.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ABen posted:

Probably could have tried to work something out where Tynan could review/clarify answers to questions, but if he was insisting on editorial control before even answering questions then lol no.

I kinda get where he was coming from, since it's a sensitive subject and he didn't want his comments taken out of context. I guess he didn't trust the site to do an honest or accurate interview and wanted his comments to appear verbatim.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

TeaJay posted:

I kinda get where he was coming from, since it's a sensitive subject and he didn't want his comments taken out of context. I guess he didn't trust the site to do an honest or accurate interview and wanted his comments to appear verbatim.

Yeah, I think you're probably right. I do think RPS slipped up by not mentioning that they had reached out (until the editor's note was added later), so it seemed like a deliberate omission at first. I think Graham did a reasonable job of explaining their position, and editorial control by an interview subject isn't something that would be expected in most other areas of criticism.

At least now we have a better understanding of why pawns get repeatedly rejected and don't figure it out. Looks like there are already mods out there to make that part of the game different/more interesting/less annoying. Or there's always kibble.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ABen posted:

Yeah, I think you're probably right. I do think RPS slipped up by not mentioning that they had reached out (until the editor's note was added later), so it seemed like a deliberate omission at first. I think Graham did a reasonable job of explaining their position, and editorial control by an interview subject isn't something that would be expected in most other areas of criticism.

At least now we have a better understanding of why pawns get repeatedly rejected and don't figure it out. Looks like there are already mods out there to make that part of the game different/more interesting/less annoying. Or there's always kibble.

There's already a system in place to prevent that. They get a relationship penalty against the person who rejected them. It's just not large enough to keep them from trying repeatedly.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Well, if you read into Rimworld's backstory there is definitely a disproportionate amount of straight people because they are fleeing the gay apocalypse.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I'd rather not at this time, thanks :)

Alright,don't buy a good game for petty reasons. See if us Goons care.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The rebuff death spiral makes so much more sense now that we know the relationship system is literally based on OKCupid.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

ABen posted:

I think Graham did a reasonable job of explaining their position, and editorial control by an interview subject isn't something that would be expected in most other areas of criticism.

To be fair, most other areas of criticism are just insular and cliquey. Games journalism is a constant nuclear garbage fire of utterly broken people shrieking antagonistic nonsense at ghosts. If I thought a games journalist wanted to speak to me my step 1 would be editorial oversight and my step 2 would be a Hazmat suit.

Anyway, I just had a colonist die because he wouldn't stop sleeping in the freezer. He had a bed, assigned to him, in a nice room that was accessible, but he kept falling asleep in the freezer and eventually the frostbite got him. If I locked the freezer he'd go to his own bed, but as soon as I unlocked it [cause you know, food] he'd be straight back in there for a powernap. I never even got to find out his sexual orientation. What's up with that?

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 3, 2016

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Willfrey posted:

Well, if you read into Rimworld's backstory there is definitely a disproportionate amount of straight people because they are fleeing the gay apocalypse.

well look if you let a man and a man get married then we'll have stuff like a man and a centipede getting married and that's just wrong

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

TeaJay posted:

I kinda get where he was coming from, since it's a sensitive subject and he didn't want his comments taken out of context.

Given his post in the comments it wouldn't have been very different.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
y'all butthurt over poo poo

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

quote:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Rimworld: No Man's Bi

:vince:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

That loving title. A+

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I concur

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
If they can mod a bunch of random bullshit into the game I'm sure someone will add a better relationships most. If you don't see it, be the change you want to see.

Currently I'm more annoyed that pawns can have mental break downs cleaning up the field of bodies they made when they didn't give a poo poo walking up to each and putting them out of their misery. Suddenly the guy is dead and oh no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A+ title