Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Haha 2016 "e-book", it's like SFV is such a huge scam everything surrounding it and everything that mentions it has to be a scam too.

Tbf, it was free for like the first week. That's why it made the best seller list lol :eng101:

I don't really have a problem with gootecks and I love excellent adventures, but it's weird how he's marketing himself as a street fighter guru. Hell he has cross counter training sessions with a variety of different trainers and gootecks is by far the most expensive option, way more than Justin, Ricki, K-Brad and Xian.

http://www.crosscountertraining.com/gootecks/

e: quoted for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
he needs to fund his coke habit somehow

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
a hundred and fifty dollarydoos

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its funny that he put his commercial at the end of an unwatchable video

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gootecks is the Kim Kardashian of FGC

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

Real talk, what are Gooteck's accomplishments besides having a specific shimmy named after him and being a twitch emote?

(Not even gonna touch that impression)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, once upon a time Gootecks was a veritable top 16 contender, I'll let you know!

before foreign players flew over for pretty much every american major of name and when majors were way smaller affairs but shhh

But really my opinion is this:

anime was right posted:

i think gootecks is a doofus who really wants to "make it" but i dont hate him fwiw

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
He's fine but I would never watch EA again if Mike Ross left.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
gootecks is the kind of representative the fgc deserves and dare i say, needs

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I liked it when gootecks shilled for SFxT really hard and then capcom hit him with a C&D due to him selling videos on how to play the game or something

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
regarding being good and also coaching, some people are better at playing teacher than playing fgs. being good at the path to getting good doesn't mean you have to be fantastic. as awful as his macho man video is he's right about active learning for example

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://clips.twitch.tv/neverknowsbest00/GiftedAlligatorPuppeyFace
That cross-up. :shepicide:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

ryu can pull similar poo poo with jumping short, I believe? I had a friend use it on me like maybe 3 days after the game's release and I was really really confused so I asked him "did that hit in the back but land in the front" and he just looked at me with a grin and said "Yeeeep, that's the cheap poo poo alright".

he's much better at street fighter than me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

ryu can pull similar poo poo with jumping short, I believe? I had a friend use it on me like maybe 3 days after the game's release and I was really really confused so I asked him "did that hit in the back but land in the front" and he just looked at me with a grin and said "Yeeeep, that's the cheap poo poo alright".

he's much better at street fighter than me

That's one of the most annoying things in the game too.
The kinds of cross-ups that hit on one side and landed on the other side existed in SF4 too but they were super rare or hard to pull off (the only one that wasn't was the ryu's j.lk in the corner, but everyone knew about it) while in SFV I get his by that poo poo all the loving time by every god drat character.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

That's one of the most annoying things in the game too.
The kinds of cross-ups that hit on one side and landed on the other side existed in SF4 too but they were super rare or hard to pull off (the only one that wasn't was the ryu's j.lk in the corner, but everyone knew about it) while in SFV I get his by that poo poo all the loving time by every god drat character.

stop you're making me want to play it quick someone remind me of all the aa jabs and reasons why pressuring after a kd with such a thing are impossible outside of certain situations

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

stop you're making me want to play it quick someone remind me of all the aa jabs and reasons why pressuring after a kd with such a thing are impossible outside of certain situations

If you wanna play a game where everyone lands ambiguous crossups pick Cammy and go play 4.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...assic-mechanic/

lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cause Capcom are loving incompetent, that's why.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

does that make cross ups work from a wider range if it extends backwards?
(putting aside that she'll just sbk anyone trying of course)

Dingus Egg
May 23, 2005

Legend has it the world was hatched from a dingus egg.

Real hurthling! posted:

does that make cross ups work from a wider range if it extends backwards?
(putting aside that she'll just sbk anyone trying of course)

Crossups tends to work on crouchers, yeah.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

you see it is working as intended because chun li is a hard read footsies character requiring a highly technical "yomi shimmy" to play correctly

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Chun Li is clearly using an advanced crouching technique where she's got her legs crossed for some reason. She has mastered the Crouchou No Extendo.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Chun Li was many goons' waifu before anyone knew what a waifu was.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't like chun when I was a child and I certainly don't like her as a manchild

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
I mostly played Adon, Juri and Gouken in USFIV, what characters would be closest to their whole playstyles in V? From what I've heard Juri is really different and not all that good this time around.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pupuru posted:

I mostly played Adon, Juri and Gouken in USFIV, what characters would be closest to their whole playstyles in V? From what I've heard Juri is really different and not all that good this time around.

just play chun nash or ken

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

just don't play this game at all

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

sharrrk posted:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Juri was by far the most popular new character from IV, so naturally they stripped everything cool and interesting about her and gave her one of the shittiest movesets ever in a fighting game.

Also

sharrrk posted:

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

sharrrk posted:

look I play KI it's not like I have good taste in fighting games

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

pupuru posted:

look I play KI it's not like I have good taste in fighting games

At least KI makes sense.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Mechanically KI is really solid, I just hate the visuals and also 100% of the characters.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

pupuru posted:

lol at "playstyles" in sf5, seriously

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sade posted:

Mechanically KI is really solid, I just hate the visuals and also 100% of the characters.

Cinder is my boy, cool down bro

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Captain Baal posted:

Cinder is my boy, cool down bro

Can he still do a ranged juggle off the top of the screen for like a full minute?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think he can do it for a full minute, but shenanigans is still the name of the game with him

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

This is a dumb post by them because it was covered a few weeks ago in a reddit thread. She stands a little wider normally so she doesn't on crouching

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

pupuru posted:

I didn't have too much time in USFIV so someone likely knows better, but I'd say Ryu and Cammy. You could jump in with either and feel pretty familiar with everything in general even if some of the specifics have obviously changed.

There is a discord channel people use to talk about the game and play if you are trying to learn. This thread is more about building your FGC cred by continually announcing that you don't like the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I still have a lot of fun as a bronze/superbronze scrub in this game but it gets a lot less fun when I start pushing Silver and character variety and the way people play them become more set in stone (hello Nash). Some stuff I wouldn't mind some very talking-to-a-child posts on:

WTF is Urien supposed to be doing in general other than fishing for cr.hp combos? His whole game feels like fireballs at range, medium buttons for footsies and then fishing for throw/cr.hp when it's my turn to hit buttons up close which seems like it never ever happens. His V. Skill feels straight up worthless, I've played entire days forcing myself to use it and I never seem to see the armor actually work. I feel like all my wins come from him doing more damage on average when I do land things and then landing a super and being shocked at it doing so much damage. The jumping headbutt with lp seems like it's pretty safe but I have no idea what to do as a follow up other than jab/lk and try it again.

What's a good Laura strat for training people to open themselves up for command throws? I keep trying to use her fb's to cover a v-skill dash->throw but it feels way scary to spend the time to charge them, even as a meaty. I feel like I can keep up with the scrubby jump-in/trades game that goes on all the time in bronze by confirming into the elbow special a lot, but things get hairy when I run into someone who blocks a lot.

I will also always eat up any scrubby FANG tips. Right now I'm trying to practice combos that end in the charge/fw+lp but I suck at them, I'm absolutely addicted to cr.mk (twice or three times in a row) and would like to hear fun stuff to do after you throw two of them and people think they're safe. I only have two set ups I like doing from knockdown: both start with lp poisonballs and the follow ups are jump over them -> j.hk, the other is slide underneath and do a standing hk. I have no clue what the Ryobenda's other than hk are used for. General tips would be appreciated for what to do when you have someone poisoned at range and you can tell they're hungry for a hit.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 3, 2016